Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

For me those just came out of nowhere, and thinking about them as I watched the movie made me enjoy several scenes that much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Lotish posted:

For me those just came out of nowhere, and thinking about them as I watched the movie made me enjoy several scenes that much more.

They're really wonderful.

Mad Max was so good that I don't even care that I'm being brainwashed by the Matriarchy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why are these MRAs getting their jockstraps in a twist over this?

I mean, if the movie is seen as feminist, then it must do it well. It looks like an action movie with cars and explosions and stuff. So I'm not seeing why they have a problem with it.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Panfilo posted:

Why are these MRAs getting their jockstraps in a twist over this?

I mean, if the movie is seen as feminist, then it must do it well. It looks like an action movie with cars and explosions and stuff. So I'm not seeing why they have a problem with it.

Because Max didn't take control of his destiny and start negging the wives I guess?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I was confused on that too. The women said they weren't sex slaves. Then they made sure that stayed that way.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Philip Rivers posted:

Can we all pause with the well deserved praise for the movie and take a moment to reflect back on and appreciate the MRA tantrums?

The MRAs whining about feminism really made the climax all the more fun, since it's literally a bunch of ex-slaves and hardass old ladies wrecking the poo poo out of a bunch of hypermasculine patriarchs

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This is actually a tragic film about father Immortan Joe undertaking a fierce, 2-hour custody battle for his children.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
How dare a film named Mad Max have a WOMAN infront of him on one of the posters rabble rabble

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"THAT'S MY PROPERTY!"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys... I think the matriarchy killed the world

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Watching the George Miller interviewed at Cannes, apparently even the big War Rig crash at the end (though I guess bar the steering wheel bit) was a practical stunt. It's just so drat impressive how much of the film is practical - think I'm gonna go see this again over the weekend.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

The MRAs whining about feminism really made the climax all the more fun, since it's literally a bunch of ex-slaves and hardass old ladies wrecking the poo poo out of a bunch of hypermasculine patriarchs

Yeah, the movie is literally a bunch of women taking agency and not only escaping from, but actually destroying the patriarchy and seizing control of society from the representative of the type of man who "destroyed the world." There's more to it than just the feminist thing too, as you could really read that the old women they find, named the "many mothers" also represent the more grandiose idea of mother nature itself, as they come from "the green place" and the leader carries seeds, and they solidify their victory by bringing clean water back to the desert wastes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If kowtowing to misandrists means we get more movies like this one then bring on the gynocracy.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The Doof Warrior Speaks! (Well, the actor does)

quote:

“I just sort of got up there and jammed,” he said. “Whatever I could come up with. It’s a double-neck guitar, so it’s a bass and six-string electric, but there’s a base that I’m standing on and below that is a partial amplifier, so it’s blaring, and it’s totally squealing all the time. You’re just thrashing on it, and making noise. I’m playing Zeppelin or Soundgarden or AC/DC or whatever I was feeling inspired to do.”

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^^^ gently caress Yeah.

Just imagine how furious MRAs are gonna be when they see Aliens and the big finale is three females, and two of them are "mothers" protecting "their children".

And the only "man" is a sexless robot that is impaled and torn to shreds by a towering not-so-subtle symbol for maternal instinct.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Hahaha oh my god it just hit me that they literally smash the patriarchy. No wonder the MRAs are having a collective conniption.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Robutt posted:

Watching the George Miller interviewed at Cannes, apparently even the big War Rig crash at the end (though I guess bar the steering wheel bit) was a practical stunt. It's just so drat impressive how much of the film is practical - think I'm gonna go see this again over the weekend.

I think it was Devin Faraci's review where he asked Miller about it, who confirmed it was done using Maths and a really good stunt driver.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Well, the first half hour of the movie seemed cool. Unfortunately, the theater I went to was having massive audio technical problems and audio kept cutting out and when it wasn't cutting out, we kept hearing a narration through the whole thing (I guess for blind people that go to movies?).

Walked out on that, got a free pass, will try again another day.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Philip Rivers posted:

Hahaha oh my god it just hit me that they literally smash the patriarchy. No wonder the MRAs are having a collective conniption.

They don't just smash the patriarchy, they rip the lower jaw off the patriarchy.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

I think it was Devin Faraci's review where he asked Miller about it, who confirmed it was done using Maths and a really good stunt driver.

This film is gonna sweep all the technical Oscar categories and I'll be damned if Theron doesn't deserve best actress. The production was beyond amazing.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Mordiceius posted:

Unfortunately, the theater I went to was having massive audio technical problems and audio kept cutting out and when it wasn't cutting out, we kept hearing a narration through the whole thing (I guess for blind people that go to movies?).

Nothing like having the Audio Description feed going out to the main cinema sound to ruin a movie. I don't even know technically how one could make that happen, let alone do it by accident.

Now I'm thinking about what it must be like to see(rimshot) this movie via audio description only and it's made me pretty sad. :(

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TerminalBlue posted:

Nothing like having the Audio Description feed going out to the main cinema sound to ruin a movie. I don't even know technically how one could make that happen, let alone do it by accident.

Now I'm thinking about what it must be like to see(rimshot) this movie via audio description only and it's made me pretty sad. :(

"Okay they're going into the dust storm... Hahaha YES YES gently caress YES"

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

frank.club posted:

"Okay they're going into the dust storm... Hahaha YES YES gently caress YES"

Okay, now I'm happy again.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh my God that was awesome :supaburn:

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Now that I've had a day to let the experience of witnessing Miller's insane imagination simmer, I am still baffled at one thing. How did he pull it off? I don't even think about it so much as a movie - I think of it as an immersive experience. Like a roller-coaster. My mind is tricking me into thinking that I was there, instead of just in a movie-theater, watching a film. It really is a grand movie-theater experience - a very rare thing, to be honest.

I am seeing it again on Sunday. And I'm probably going to see it at least once more before it leaves the local theater. I know I'm going to buy it on blu-ray on day one, and will continue to appreciate it as a benchmark action-film, but drat if I'm not going to indulge myself with this in the theaters while I still can.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The sound design is equally insane.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
This movie was fantastic and I'm looking forward to the excessively pompous front page article about it.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Yeah I saw this twice in a row in full... can't remember ever doing that in theaters before. I was planning to leave after seeing the first chase sequence again and next thing I know the movie's over. Just imagining the logistics of how they filmed this thing makes it even more remarkable. Also people will disagree with me but I thought it felt very very similar to 300 at a lot of times.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
incredible movie. the doof warrior. the loving doof warrior!

also those loving creepy crow people what in the hell

its been a very long time since i walked out of a screening and went straight back in for the next one. gently caress i'm going back again sunday for more.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Unmerciful posted:

Also people will disagree with me but I thought it felt very very similar to 300 at a lot of times.

PISTOLS AT DAWN YOU BASTARD!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

This movie was everything I ever wanted and more :allears:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've never seen a Mad Max movie and I thought the trailers for this movie looked ugly and boring.

... But it's getting unanimous praise as one of the best movies of all time? Is there more to it than "cars shoot at each other" or is it just really good instances of cars shooting at each other?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Just got back. The movie was very shiny and chrome.

The first chase scene nearly gave me an anxiety attack particularly when Nux tries to blow himself up. Now I don't know much about cars but I do know that pulling hoses out in your vehicle that floods it with various liquids is a REALLY BAD THING.

And I have to say I like Tom Hardy's take on Max. It really feels like its taking place somewhere between the first and second movie, when Max is pretty much pure animal and lost the ability to interact with humans beyond trying to kill or escape them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've never seen a Mad Max movie and I thought the trailers for this movie looked ugly and boring.

... But it's getting unanimous praise as one of the best movies of all time? Is there more to it than "cars shoot at each other" or is it just really good instances of cars shooting at each other?

A bit of both. Like, the bulk of the movie is a gigantic car chase with guns and knives and explosions and so on, but it's set up in a decent way- you don't feel like they specifically compromised on the story to get more action in.

And it actually looks pretty good. They walk a fine line with just how saturated the colors are and how over-the-top metal everything is, it could easily have turned out really ugly, but Miller finds a nice balance.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I thought the trailers for this movie looked ugly and boring.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that you're broken on a fundamental level.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Ugh I ended up missing my standard 5:30 showing and now im stucking waiting for the next closest showing and its in 3d. All of this praise is driving me nuts. I wanna see this drat movie already (25 minites to go).

Jynetik
May 1, 2015

The Cameo posted:

I seriously can't think of the last action movie that managed to keep adrenaline pumping so constantly and managing to make it so that you're loving crushed emotionally every time our little hope brigade loses a member - culminating with the double whammy of Nux's sacrifice and Furiosa's body slipping closer to death as Max desperately does what he can to keep her going, culminating with him just finally saying "My name is Max."

Even Immortan Joe gets a real moment of emotion as he holds Angharad's lifeless body and just wails. gently caress, even Rictus gets a moment.

gently caress this was so goddamn good. I can't believe it even exists, it's that good.

The end of that movie was just an avalanche of adrenaline and emotion.

There were just too many emotions going on there at the end. Seed lady, Nux, Rictus, Furiosa, hell I even felt something for the war rig dying. I imagine it would be a similar feeling for a star wars fan to see the falcon explode. That stupid truck almost felt like a character.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

???

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Couple of things to point out - 'chroming' is Australian slang for inhaling paint fumes (or petrol, glue, whatever) to get high. It's associated with extreme poverty and especially the indigenous poor. Don't know if that's a common term anywhere else.

The crow people are (I think) inspired by a community of French shepherds who walked on stilts to cover ground quickly in swampy terrain. They were mentioned on QI once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Fortunately this isn't something you have to speculate about! You can go see Mad Max: Fury Road for less than $10 (for a standard screen feature) in any American theater right now!

• Locked thread