Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Nope. That is exactly what I hope happens. Anything to keep this ball of insanity rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Valatar posted:

There basically isn't. The developers seem to be in lockdown mode right now; there unsurprisingly have been no comments about the game being spotted in Steam's database, no comments about the inevitable F2P/P2P conversion, and even the "surprise" they promised their players during the downtime hasn't materialized, two days later.

The delay on the "surprise" is p. interesting. It was supposed to be after the maintenance, but it's still quiet.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Belzac posted:

The surprise is that the game is still running. Surprise!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The ultimate hardcore raid attunement sequence would be having to start from square one every time you died during an attunement raid or whatever.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Evil Mastermind posted:

The ultimate hardcore raid attunement sequence would be having to start from square one every time you died during an attunement raid or whatever.

Truly hardcore players would be okay with permadeath. Die to a lag spike, start over from level 1. Hardcore.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

WarLocke posted:

Truly hardcore players would be okay with permadeath. Die to a lag spike, start over from level 1. Hardcore.

Real hardcore players can continuing playing effectively during a lag spike. Their foresight and understanding of what buttons to push during the spike is what separates them from you cupcake eating filthy casuals.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

source your quotes please and also :protogas:

That post is so legendary, I don't think it needs sourcing now. It should be embedded in the collective humor psyche of all goons.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

WarLocke posted:

And this is why Wizardry Online was the greatest hit of SOE (er, Daybreak).

No, wait, the other thing.

(not that permadeath was ever a real risk in WizOn unless you were deliberately trying to suicide or someone went to pointless efforts to gank you in a no-return position)

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm suspicious that the surprise was going to be, "Surprise, we're on Steam!" Then it leaked and their true believers went all lord of the flies about it and the community started to disintegrate, and they had a moment of, "Oh poo poo, they're going to literally crucify us if the Steam thing is the surprise, we'd better come up with a new surprise, quick. Get Dave down in the art department to whip up a pet or something while we stall them."

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Valatar posted:

I'm suspicious that the surprise was going to be, "Surprise, we're on Steam!" Then it leaked and their true believers went all lord of the flies about it and the community started to disintegrate, and they had a moment of, "Oh poo poo, they're going to literally crucify us if the Steam thing is the surprise, we'd better come up with a new surprise, quick. Get Dave down in the art department to whip up a pet or something while we stall them."

Hardcore warplots!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Valatar posted:

This is almost definitely the case.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Valatar posted:

I suspect you are right. The silence from Carbine at this point is pretty ominous. Then again maybe they don't see the games community disintegrating as a bad thing. The player base they cultivated is just absolutely toxic, and being stuck trying to placate them because they are the game's only stream of revenue has probably limited Carbine's ability to make the kind of drastic changes in direction the game needs.

Then again this is assuming Carbine's management is actually competent. All indications up until this point are that they absolutely are not.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Iron Tusk posted:

That post is so legendary, I don't think it needs sourcing now. It should be embedded in the collective humor psyche of all goons.

:thejoke:

WarLocke posted:

The only thing better than this is when you add PVP.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

CoffeeBooze posted:

I suspect you are right. The silence from Carbine at this point is pretty ominous. Then again maybe they don't see the games community disintegrating as a bad thing. The player base they cultivated is just absolutely toxic, and being stuck trying to placate them because they are the game's only stream of revenue has probably limited Carbine's ability to make the kind of drastic changes in direction the game needs.

Then again this is assuming Carbine's management is actually competent. All indications up until this point are that they absolutely are not.

Silence from Carbine has been completely normal for the entirety of the game, not sure why it would suddenly be surprising or ominous.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Valatar posted:

The new surprise will be "50 Boom Boxes" (Open 1/day)

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
No, Carbine has commented on quite a few things since the games release. It's staff just has the really bad habit of saying the worst possible thing. Like their lead raid designer's incredibly sarcastic congratulations to the raiding guild that managed to kill a 40 man boss.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

CoffeeBooze posted:

No, Carbine has commented on quite a few things since the games release. It's staff just has the really bad habit of saying the worst possible thing. Like their lead raid designer's incredibly sarcastic congratulations to the raiding guild that managed to kill a 40 man boss.

I don't remember hearing about this. Could you elaborate?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
It's only been posted 3 times in this thread alone already. Better retell it.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Hardcore warplots!
Has anyone SEEN a warplot?
Seriously, is there any proof that feature actually got developed? I only played for the launch month, where warplots were a thing of hear-say and vaporware. From a dev point of view, the most cost-efficient feature is one that you claim exists, but no one has actually found access to, because you never even made it in the first place.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Thumbtacks posted:

I don't remember hearing about this. Could you elaborate?

Timetraveler, the lead raid designer posted the following in the Wildstar subreddit after a guild finally managed to clear their 40-man raid after 6 months.

That image link leads to this

For the interest of clarity to understand why this guy is beyond a complete shitfucker let it be known that the reason it took 6 months to clear it was that it took 6 months for Timetraveler and the rest of Carbine to make it beatable. Quite a lot of raiders quit Wildstar in disgust and frustration when bosses where given totally different mechanics and heavy buffs (usually to the point of being impossible) on weekly resets with absolutely no warning and announcement. Timetraveler is mocking and deriding people who stuck with the game for 6 months because they needed "nerfs" to beat the because over and over he made his precious raid baby literally impossible.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

sword_man.gif posted:

lmao no it wasn't, the threads when it was still wow killer time ate that chua poo poo up

for science, you see, is the pinnacle of comedy and shows how lighthearted the game is and how not serious it's taking itself :)

There are vids of warplots, so I assume they exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjN4075cdfs

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Omnicrom posted:

Timetraveler, the lead raid designer posted the following in the Wildstar subreddit after a guild finally managed to clear their 40-man raid after 6 months.

That image link leads to this

For the interest of clarity to understand why this guy is beyond a complete shitfucker let it be known that the reason it took 6 months to clear it was that it took 6 months for Timetraveler and the rest of Carbine to make it beatable. Quite a lot of raiders quit Wildstar in disgust and frustration when bosses where given totally different mechanics and heavy buffs (usually to the point of being impossible) on weekly resets with absolutely no warning and announcement. Timetraveler is mocking and deriding people who stuck with the game for 6 months because they needed "nerfs" to beat the because over and over he made his precious raid baby literally impossible.

What an incredible douchbag move. I can't fathom how a company that openly mocks it's customers so much can still have so many defenders.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Noirex posted:

What an incredible douchbag move. I can't fathom how a company that openly mocks it's customers so much can still have so many defenders.

They really don't. Since about a few weeks after launch it's always been the same small core of vocal lovely people doing it.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
That's one of the parts of Wildstar's arrogance that gets me. They intentionally cultivated a community that would end up being small and toxic by nature. :psyduck:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
They drank too much kool aid and actually believed that the player base of whiny hardcore shits is as large and important as said shits always claim it is.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

RottenK posted:

They drank too much kool aid and actually believed that the player base of whiny hardcore shits is as large and important as said shits always claim it is.
There's also the fact that Wildstar was never hardcore, it was just tedious. This is a common mistake made by idiots and bad game designers.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Asimo posted:

There's also the fact that Wildstar was never hardcore, it was just tedious. This is a common mistake made by idiots and bad game designers.

You see this a lot, people think having a lot of time to waste = hardcore.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Asimo posted:

The real issue is that "hardcore" means loving nothing. Or in one instance loving someone on camera.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

mp5 posted:

So is anyone here actually playing this game? They put in a new 20-man raid recently. Is it pretty much like AQ20 and classic Zul'gurub?

Can you still find boxes on the shelves to try and gamble on that whole "buy a new cd key, get a tradeable item" thing?

no, and you have serious loving brain damage if you want to play wildstar idiot

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well at least the Wildstar devs will have something to keep them warm when they're living on the street.

What, you think they won't get picked up for Dora the Explorer Mobile Online QA? Well... think again! Ha hah!

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
As someone who used to be an officer in a "hardcore wow raiding guild" back when WoW first came out.

Wildstar very quickly put me in my place I realised I was just too old to care about getting spergy over learning mechanics and my slow as gently caress reaction times made sure I died nearly all the time come veteran dungeons(like the one in the loving volcano with that dude with the lasers.)

I actually got to play the raids and found the experience really unenjoyable they reminded me of WoWs loving 40man AQ raid just really drawn out with tonnes of trash to get through.

Times this with the fact that because raids went on for loving hours people in your group began to actually get tired which would only lead to you wiping more as they slipped up and hit telegraphs resulting in their instant deaths.

Its no wonder hardly anyone cleared them raids I seriously don't get how they expected gamers to get through that poo poo

PS: Anyway gently caress that any more FranBunny stuff to laugh at?

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

Mizuti posted:

That's one of the parts of Wildstar's arrogance that gets me. They intentionally cultivated a community that would end up being small and toxic by nature. :psyduck:

The 1% of the 1% if you will.

Ive tried telling my friens thia game sucks and ia the reason i actually went back to better PC and console gaming and ahe fires back with "dont make fun of things I enjoy"

I also quote things from this threead to fuel the fire so... :getin:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

noELrunes posted:

The 1% of the 1% if you will.

Ive tried telling my friens thia game sucks and ia the reason i actually went back to better PC and console gaming and ahe fires back with "dont make fun of things I enjoy"

I also quote things from this threead to fuel the fire so... :getin:

Please ask your friend what she finds enjoyable about this game cause I just don't understand.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
huppy burfsarry

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The hell is that.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's a cake

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Well the ornaments look bored as all hell so makes sense.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

those two are more like :smith:

sad cake for a sad abortion of a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That reminds me, wildstar turns 1 in 3 weeks.

• Locked thread