Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Only the last thread on the plug looks messed-up, so I'm hoping it just worked its way out over the years and was hanging by that one thread. Or the other threads are just gone. :v:
I guess we'll find out in an hour when my friend gets off work and takes me to get new plugs. No harm in trying, is there? At worst it'll just do it again and I'll have to helicoil it?

How difficult is the helicoil? Is it something I can do in the driveway, or does it require pulling the head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not sure if you can do it on-vehicle without dropping metal into the cylinder, but if you turn the engine over by hand until the intake valve for that cylinder is open, then apply compressed air through the intake while you drill, all the fragments of aluminum should be blown out instead of falling in.

At least you got the one that violently rejects its own spark plugs instead of the one that goes klepto and never lets them go again. That's a Ford Thing too, and there is a kit to extract the part that breaks off in the head for those as well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

Not sure if you can do it on-vehicle without dropping metal into the cylinder, but if you turn the engine over by hand until the intake valve for that cylinder is open, then apply compressed air through the intake while you drill, all the fragments of aluminum should be blown out instead of falling in.

At least you got the one that violently rejects its own spark plugs instead of the one that goes klepto and never lets them go again. That's a Ford Thing too, and there is a kit to extract the part that breaks off in the head for those as well.

:smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

are you a wizard

Also, I know ford made a special extractor for those, but I recall someone mentioning that it could break, and that ford or someone else made an extractor for that, too. Was that true or just comedic hyperbole?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Enourmo posted:

Was that true or just comedic hyperbole?
It wouldn't surprise me.

I replaced the coil and plug, and it seems to be holding, for now at least. Was going to replace all the plugs, but gently caress it, they're too hard to get to. Maybe tomorrow. Though it could be worse, they're on top of the engine with just the fuel rails in the way, as opposed to older FWD V6s where you pretty much have to take the engine out to get at the plugs against the firewall.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

kastein posted:

It was recently coming up on time to change the plugs on my '08 F150, so I sold it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Acid Reflux posted:

It was recently coming up on time to change the plugs on my '08 F150, so I sold it.

This is making me laugh far harder than it should :lol:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
As a spark plug engineer, Ford's attempts to improve on the spark plug design is... funny.

Best part is my manager was late to work one day because his F150 decided to demonstrate the flying spark plug problem. He sold that truck shortly thereafter.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 15, 2015

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Acid Reflux posted:

Reminds me of the time a coworker had a coil-on-plug go out on his '03 Land Rover ... so he changed the head gaskets while he was at it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

As a spark plug engineer

How boring is your job?

Do you work for a big spark plug company, or an OEM? If it's the former, do OEMs design an engine first and then ask for plugs that work with their other constraints?

Are you working on laser spark plugs now?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Delivery McGee posted:

Reminds me of the time a coworker had a coil-on-plug go out on his '03 Land Rover ... so he changed the head gaskets while he was at it.

'03 Land Rovers weren't COP, but the coil pack was mounted behind the intake manifold and once you get the intake manifold off you're about 60% of the way to doing headgaskets anyway...

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
That's right. But yeah, might as well do the head gaskets while you've got it torn apart, because it's loving British and they're about to go.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Acid Reflux posted:

holy gently caress new thread title

Blatantly stolen from fordproblems.com:

The best part? Apparently 6.8L V10s do it too... all the benefits of a V10 including having two extra plugs to either eject themselves or refuse to come out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Will never forget a Lightning on the dyno blowing one out. Think it was around 4500rpm, left a nice hump in the hood.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Delivery McGee posted:

Only the last thread on the plug looks messed-up, so I'm hoping it just worked its way out over the years and was hanging by that one thread. Or the other threads are just gone. :v:
I guess we'll find out in an hour when my friend gets off work and takes me to get new plugs. No harm in trying, is there? At worst it'll just do it again and I'll have to helicoil it?

How difficult is the helicoil? Is it something I can do in the driveway, or does it require pulling the head?

YMMV but I had good luck with two of these on my wife's 2003 f150.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-42025-Master-Cylinder-Repair/dp/B000TYVU1U

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Enourmo posted:

are you a wizard

Also, I know ford made a special extractor for those, but I recall someone mentioning that it could break, and that ford or someone else made an extractor for that, too. Was that true or just comedic hyperbole?

Major Parts stores will rent you the extractor kit, and sell you the bag of consumeables (special Glue and pins) that you need with it.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

wolrah posted:

There's also the fact that the group behind that report was hired by the plaintiff in a suit against Toyota and only needed to create enough doubt for the purposes of a civil suit (the standard is much lower than criminal cases), where the joint effort from NASA and NHTSA did not find any way to cause more than basically a fast idle without tripping the failsafes.

As far as I know none of the cases where a cause has been definitively found were anything other than the floor mat thing or driver error.

It's funny how every single car with a mechanical throttle is vulnerable to the cable sticking, but even the potential of an electronic throttle having issues causes people to freak out. It'll be the same thing with automated cars, even if they have a fraction of the crash rate of human-operated vehicles every single time it happens is going to be a Big Deal to the media.

That's what I thought until I read the NASA report. People claiming that software bugs are not unique to Toyota are drawing a false equivalency. Read the report. The software and hardware design practices at Toyota weren't just bad. They were comically, criminally, utterly dysfunctionally negligent. Spaghetti code doesn't begin to describe the insane mess that their ECU firmware was. On all the typical software quality metrics that NASA applied to it, the code was literally off the charts in the wrong direction. And that's without even starting to get into the hardware. Toyota had stay-at-home housewives repair defective ECU boards by splicing jumper wires onto them. You don't have to be an EE pro to realize how utterly insane that is.

Toyota has since fired the head of that unit and instituted a reorg, and the US DOT is instituting new engineering process quality rules that will govern automotive ECU development. But they stonewalled the investigation and admitted no fault, and that's why I won't trust them again.

edit: Of course none of the cases have been found to be the ECU's fault. That's because the ECU in those cars is untestable. It was built in such a way that its behavior is pseudo-random.

azazello fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 16, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I have a 2000 Mustang with a 4.6 and I changed the plugs with zero drama. It sees regular trips to 4k+ revs, too.

Changed plugs on a '97 T-bird, too.

Am I a wizard?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

kastein posted:

holy gently caress new thread title

Blatantly stolen from fordproblems.com:

The best part? Apparently 6.8L V10s do it too... all the benefits of a V10 including having two extra plugs to either eject themselves or refuse to come out.

Getting broken exhaust manifold bolts out is also fun. They all break, and you better be good at the welding a nut to a stud broken half inch in the block trick.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I have a 2000 Mustang with a 4.6 and I changed the plugs with zero drama. It sees regular trips to 4k+ revs, too.

Changed plugs on a '97 T-bird, too.

Am I a wizard?

Naw the t bird had the one that didn't shoot plugs out. your mustang is only a matter of time. Or maybe because your not a moron and don't over tighten the plugs you will be good.

And in the ford plug chat you need to get the tool that installs the sleeves and put a tab of Loctite on the helicoil/sleeve. I do this at work at least once a week if not more. and the best way to keep metal shavings from going in the head is using A FUCKTON of grease on the tap and constantly pulling it out cleaning it and regreasing it.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

SouthsideSaint posted:

Naw the t bird had the one that didn't shoot plugs out. your mustang is only a matter of time. Or maybe because your not a moron and don't over tighten the plugs you will be good.

And in the ford plug chat you need to get the tool that installs the sleeves and put a tab of Loctite on the helicoil/sleeve. I do this at work at least once a week if not more. and the best way to keep metal shavings from going in the head is using A FUCKTON of grease on the tap and constantly pulling it out cleaning it and regreasing it.

Yup. That's what I did when I had to do it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How boring is your job?

Do you work for a big spark plug company, or an OEM? If it's the former, do OEMs design an engine first and then ask for plugs that work with their other constraints?

Are you working on laser spark plugs now?

Ehh it has its ups and downs. I work at a supplier but OEMs always design the engine and then spec the plug. Doesn't really make sense the other way around.

Can't say.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

azazello posted:

That's what I thought until I read the NASA report. People claiming that software bugs are not unique to Toyota are drawing a false equivalency. Read the report. The software and hardware design practices at Toyota weren't just bad. They were comically, criminally, utterly dysfunctionally negligent. Spaghetti code doesn't begin to describe the insane mess that their ECU firmware was. On all the typical software quality metrics that NASA applied to it, the code was literally off the charts in the wrong direction. And that's without even starting to get into the hardware. Toyota had stay-at-home housewives repair defective ECU boards by splicing jumper wires onto them. You don't have to be an EE pro to realize how utterly insane that is.

Toyota has since fired the head of that unit and instituted a reorg, and the US DOT is instituting new engineering process quality rules that will govern automotive ECU development. But they stonewalled the investigation and admitted no fault, and that's why I won't trust them again.

edit: Of course none of the cases have been found to be the ECU's fault. That's because the ECU in those cars is untestable. It was built in such a way that its behavior is pseudo-random.

lovely firmware (jargon for software that runs on hardware at a low level) happens virtally everywhere because instead of hiring some SEs to do a job it's always cheaper to use the EEs you do have to write lovely software (and this will get passed on to the newest and least experienced EEs as well, the ones with seniority don't want to write code). Also, splicing wires to fix board design issues isn't nearly as uncommon as you might think and it's way more reliable than any of the poo poo firmware that's going to run on the board anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

azazello posted:

Yes but none of those things are unique to Toyota.

My anecdotal two cents: the 1KD hilux engine has a habit of making a nasty noise at the rpm's usually seen driving around in an automatic vehicle. Toyota's solution was to alter the engine mapping slightly; it essentially pushed the entire torque curve up the range by like 500rpm so the noise would happen higher up, the downside being it cut the top of the power curve off so the engine would be less powerful overall.

The upgrade took a good couple of hours IIRC and if literally anything were to happen while the tool was connected, like a loss of battery voltage or someone touching the OBD cable or something, the ECU would be scrapped. Apparently this was because the VIN information would be the first thing that got wiped when the ecu was being reprogrammed, and without that initial vin information the tool would be unable to proceed with the upgrade if you tried again.

There was no method of undoing this ECU upgrade once it was done and we told customers in advance that even attempting the upgrade was a potentially fatal gamble.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

On top of that, the VIN is the last thing written to the ECU (with Toyota anyway).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

My anecdotal two cents: the 1KD hilux engine has a habit of making a nasty noise at the rpm's usually seen driving around in an automatic vehicle.

Otherwise know as the 'ah my package has arrived' sound.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

Otherwise know as the 'ah my package has arrived' sound.

Yeah. Although for me it's forever the 'ah, another courier with a completely hosed hiace is coming in to complain' sound.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
So my wife was driving the winter beater Forester while her car was in the shop and had it stall. Could not get it started again so she called for a tow. A couple of hours later it is dropped off at home. From the symptoms; car will drive for a while fine and then die, restarting will fail, let it sit for a while and it starts right up and runs fine; I believe that it is something to do with the tank evap system. The car threw a gas cap code in the morning but I just re-closed the cap and thought it would be fine.

So, I look under the car to check on the tank vent and see if I can find any spiders and this is what greets me:

I noticed the grease blob first (after getting over how bad the rust is getting). Panning up, I saw the split in the CV boot and was somewhat upset. That is not where boots normally fail and the car has not been driven with that as the grease has just dripped down and is not all over everything (could use the rust proofing).

Checked the driver's side and:

Okay, I could buy one boot going bad, but not two at once and in the same place. The tow truck used J hooks when the car was on the flat bed so my guess is that the hooks around the trailing arms rubbed/ripped the CV boots. I just hope that the J hooks were not on the axles!

Luckily the tow was through CAA and after I sent these pictures they are covering the repair. I would not be as concerned about cosmetic issues, but CV boots are a bit more of an issue in my book.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They put the hooks on the axles, hth.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Slavvy posted:

drat it! I was hoping to hear the opposite but I had a feeling this would be the case. Now the question is: how badly hosed are the axles or is a simple boot replacement going to cut it? I can guess the answer to this... but I would like to have good opinions to go back to them with. My normal mechanic does not deal with Subaru that much so I might need to go back to the dealer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just replacing the boots should be ok, those axles are pretty tough.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

Getting broken exhaust manifold bolts out is also fun. They all break, and you better be good at the welding a nut to a stud broken half inch in the block trick.

I really want to meet whatever moron designed all the ford manifold to head bolts, because I have some choice words for that fuckwit. I don't know why they used m8 instead of at least m10. I've pulled somewhere around 100 jeep 4.0 manifold bolts*, reused all but one, which broke upon reinstall after coming out fine. Ford? After pulling 4 6-bolt V6 headers I had broken 9 of the 24 bolts even being careful. And none of the tricks got them out, I ended up drilling them out with a carbide drill and helicoiling that disaster.

I hear 4.6, 5.4, and 6.8 ones are every bit as bad.

* this may be an understatement. There are 11 per vehicle, I can't even remember how many times I've had the manifolds off a 4.0.

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 16, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I hear 4.6, 5.4, and 6.8 ones are every bit as bad.

That is so true. And on some f250s the only way to remove the manifold is to destroy it...No problem tho rust makes those things weaker then wet toilet paper. I have literally tapped them with my finger and had silver dollar size holes appear.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Slavvy posted:

If they were put on the axles they would have rub marks all the way around where the hooks were on them and they turned when it was dragged on.

Don't like like they were on the axles to me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh, I thought he was referring to the securing strap thingies, not the winch that drags it on. That makes even less sense because the car will have towing eyes specifically designed for dragging it up on the back of a truck, they're usually either built into the subframe or there's a tow hook in the boot that screws into the subframe through a hole in the bumper.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Slavvy posted:

Oh, I thought he was referring to the securing strap thingies, not the winch that drags it on. That makes even less sense because the car will have towing eyes specifically designed for dragging it up on the back of a truck, they're usually either built into the subframe or there's a tow hook in the boot that screws into the subframe through a hole in the bumper.

Jap cars tend to have lashing points on the corners too (used for shipping) that make excellent attachment points to drag it onto a flatbed.

But tow drivers are lazy and J-hooks are easy to use.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
This:

Mooseykins posted:

But tow drivers are lazy and J-hooks are easy to use.

Though every other time I have been towed, the driver has been very careful and made sure things were done right and factory tow points were used.

The damage was to the rear axles and the car was dragged on from the front. It looks like the driver managed to miss hooking the front axle, but snagged the rear with the J hook when it was tied down. That is also why there are no rub marks.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

ZincBoy posted:

This:

Though every other time I have been towed, the driver has been very careful and made sure things were done right and factory tow points were used.

The damage was to the rear axles and the car was dragged on from the front. It looks like the driver managed to miss hooking the front axle, but snagged the rear with the J hook when it was tied down. That is also why there are no rub marks.

Odd. Then my guess would be he used wheel straps with chokers, and put the strap too low, it caught on the boot and when the strap was tightened it pulled the boot towards the wheel and tore it near the shaft clamp.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Mooseykins posted:

Odd. Then my guess would be he used wheel straps with chokers, and put the strap too low, it caught on the boot and when the strap was tightened it pulled the boot towards the wheel and tore it near the shaft clamp.

No, I was there when it was dropped off and it was tied down just with the J hooks/chain on the front and rear suspension. No wheel straps or anything useful like that. I have not been towed too many times so I didn't think anything of it until I looked under the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

ZincBoy posted:

No, I was there when it was dropped off and it was tied down just with the J hooks/chain on the front and rear suspension. No wheel straps or anything useful like that. I have not been towed too many times so I didn't think anything of it until I looked under the car.

Oh... J-hooks on yo axles then!

Professional! Another reason you're meant to use wheel straps is they stop side-to-side movement, which J-hooks and front/rear strapping won't do. Don't you just love it when a job's done right? :airquote: