Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
we're all cocksuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Being a PL is like the only good officer job, other than maybe some cool/obscure functional area stuff like foreign area officer that you can't get until you're O4.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
When your organization's members take it as a point of pride which part is worse, it really makes you think about your life choices. Two more months.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If anyone's proud of how much their life sucks/sucked, then they need psychiatric help as they are basically an abused child trying to rationalize what happened to them.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

psydude posted:

Being a PL is like the only good officer job, other than maybe some cool/obscure functional area stuff like foreign area officer that you can't get until you're O4.

I had a semi-decent gig as an FSO while deployed to OEF, except my CO was one of those dictator types to his Os and senior NCOs. He'd scream "gently caress YOU" at me or others halfway through a conversation in the TOC in front of everyone. Halfway through deployment he was going to swap out; my incoming commander was super chill and I was very eager to work with him. He had already given me my initial counseling; then an IED tore up his truck and sent him home w/ severe TBI & amnesia, killed some of our guys, and I realized this was a stupid loving war and there was no point in caring about anything except going home.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

I had a semi-decent gig as an FSO while deployed to OEF, except my CO was one of those dictator types to his Os and senior NCOs. He'd scream "gently caress YOU" at me or others halfway through a conversation in the TOC in front of everyone. Halfway through deployment he was going to swap out; my incoming commander was super chill and I was very eager to work with him. He had already given me my initial counseling; then an IED tore up his truck and sent him home w/ severe TBI & amnesia, killed some of our guys, and I realized this was a stupid loving war and there was no point in caring about anything except going home.

Our CO was so loving disconnected from reality that it was both a blessing and a curse. It was great because he basically let the XO (a good buddy of mine from my first go-around as a PL) and the PLs run everything while he sat in his office and ranted and raved about metrics and personnel poo poo. Unfortunately this meant that he was routinely freaking out about retarded poo poo like why soldiers hadn't updated their resumes, and he also never made any decisions. I think he was also super scared: when we had one of our civilians killed and another few guys wounded, he took a week and a half to fly down and half-assedly talk to my platoon.

He was also a total sociopath and we caught him outright lying or manipulating documents on several occasions in order to trick us into doing poo poo or supporting whatever hair-brained scheme he was working on. And he had like 5 or 6 sexual harassment complaints lodged against him.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 15, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

psydude posted:

Our CO was so loving disconnected from reality that it was both a blessing and a curse. It was great because he basically let the XO (a good buddy of mine from my first go-around as a PL) and the PLs run everything while he sat in his office and ranted and raved about metrics and personnel poo poo. Unfortunately this meant that he was routinely freaking out about retarded poo poo like why soldiers hadn't updated their resumes, and he also never made any decisions. I think he was also super scared: when we had one of our civilians killed and another few guys wounded, he took a week and a half to fly down and half-assedly talk to my platoon.

He was also a total sociopath and we caught him outright lying or manipulating documents on several occasions in order to trick us into doing poo poo or supporting whatever hair-brained scheme he was working on. And he had like 5 or 6 sexual harassment complaints lodged against him.

This is why books like Catch-22 seem so mild

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

psydude posted:

PL is cool, company command is cool, but if you stay in beyond that without going to a FA you're loving retarded.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Oh poo poo, welcome back HCT.

psydude posted:

There are no bad officer jobs when you've been enlisted. I have a job right now that very few Lieutenants right out of the basic course would consider desirable. At the end of the day, I set my own schedule. I don't have some mouthbreather with a GED from the Appalachian hinterlands asking where I am. So long as my work gets done, no one bothers me. If my workload is heavy that day, I can pop smoke and do it from home with a beer in my hand if I want to instead of slaving away under the supervision of said mouthbreather from West Virginia. I decide where I want to live, and no one is calling me telling me to mow my grass or police trash around family housing for Spring cleaning. My salary is about 35% higher than the median starting salary for the average chucklefuck with a liberal arts degree lucky enough to have a job. Even my loving car insurance rates are discounted--not because I'm a better drive than you, but because I am a sir. I'm sure there will be soul-crushing jobs and shittier bosses down the line. But it still won't be as bad as being enlisted.

The nobles I always see bitching the most about the Army are the ones who think they're going to be God's gift to corporate America when they get out. Surprise, surprise, Coca-Cola doesn't give a poo poo about how you managed a $1.6 million hand receipt and safety briefed Joe to death every Friday. After taxes, health insurance and all that jazz, you're still making the same amount in take home pay that you did six years ago when you were a Lieutenant. No generous 20 year pension, either. And now you don't have six layers of redundancy and a staff of indentured servants to ensure your job gets done while you surf Facebook after giving a few vague instructions. Is the Army a crappy job? Yeah, at times. But being an officer is like being the corn kernel in the turd. You have no reason to complain when everything else around you is poo poo.

Whipped Buttcheeks fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 15, 2015

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Looks like I'll be branching armor on Monday. Tanks seem pretty cool.

Edit: though I think there's more cav scout slots for armor officers than for tanks.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 15, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mustang posted:

Edit: though I think there's more cav scout slots for armor officers than for tanks.

lol sorry for ur future*

*this would be said about any branch tbh

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Kiss your knees goodbye

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Out of combat arms, tankin's the best.

Your knees were probably toast any way you went though, so congrats on the limp.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

An armor captain I talked to told me that armor is the combat arms branch for guys that like to chill out, drink beer and play video games.

What exactly does armor do to your knees? My knees don't care much for rucking or taking a knee either.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My best advice for preserving your knees is to not jump off tanks, ever. Climb down with the footholds every time and you will be a much happier person a decade from now.

Also lift with your knees. Every piece of equipment is pretty heavy and a bad back isn't fun.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mustang posted:

An armor captain I talked to told me that armor is the combat arms branch for guys that like to chill out, drink beer and play video games.

What exactly does armor do to your knees? My knees don't care much for rucking or taking a knee either.

That's true for tanks. Not true for scouts. Scouts are second only to infantry for contributing to making the army a miserable bunch of gently caress dumb.

I heard something about the vibration in tanks loving with your joints, something about the turbine that powers them or something. I don't know if that's true, but being stuck in cramped spaces for days at a stretch will give you fluid retention from hell, and then jumping out to go for a 20 mile ruck march while it feels like your knees are swimming in gravy is probably the single worst thing I have ever done to my body. Well, besides letting someone else drive but that's a different story.

Apparently it used to be mega chill until Chandler that cock sucker kept trying to out human being his faggoty self at every turn and wanted tankers to be infantry in garrison as well (along with every other MOS).

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

What are some of the more likely duty stations for armor officers? Have Germany, Alaska, Hawaii, Fort Lewis, Fort Carson for my top 5.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Depends on which side of the Armor house you want to start out in. Put duty stations with HBCTs first if you want tanks for your PL time.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mustang posted:

What are some of the more likely duty stations for armor officers? Have Germany, Alaska, Hawaii, Fort Lewis, Fort Carson for my top 5.

I don't think Germany has much heavy any more, but i could be wrong. Alaska, Hawaii and fort Lewis are Stryker ville I think. Carson has heavy.

Other likely spots are Hood, Riley, camp Casey in korea, and benning.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The pro-est option is what happened to my buddy who was airborne qualified: branch armor, get sent to the 173rd or 82nd, get put in charge of leading 11Bs on foot patrols in Afghanistan, and get out of the Army disgusted after 4 years.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

The pro-est option is what happened to my buddy who was airborne qualified: branch armor, get sent to the 173rd or 82nd, get put in charge of leading 11Bs on foot patrols in Afghanistan, and get out of the Army disgusted after 4 years.

That blows. Did he qualify for a CIB from the assignment or was he the only guy walking around with a CAB?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That blows. Did he qualify for a CIB from the assignment or was he the only guy walking around with a CAB?

Nope, wasn't an 11A!

They kept trying to make him go to ranger school, and he kept angrily telling them to gently caress off. Last I heard, he's been accepted to grad school in Europe (was stationed with the 173rd in Germany).

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
My first company was a tank company (I was the FSO), and I loved those guys. Much smarter than my later 13Bs.

My company commander took the tanker piss bottle thing a bit too seriously, though. When we shut down our COP we found a dozen liter bottles of the yellow stuff stashed away in the filing cabinets in his room. It wasn't that cold out at night, dude.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Also lift with your knees. Every piece of equipment is pretty heavy and a bad back isn't fun.

Lift with your glutes and hips. Hip drive.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
do not go to kroea.

hawaii also has strykers.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
So I have a TDY for roughly 20 days at "Fort Lost-in-the-Woods" (as my buddy called it- Leonard Wood) and wanted to know what, if anything was good about the area?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

germskr posted:

So I have a TDY for roughly 20 days at "Fort Lost-in-the-Woods" (as my buddy called it- Leonard Wood) and wanted to know what, if anything was good about the area?

that after 20 days you'll be gone.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

germskr posted:

If it's not still off-limits, Party Cove at Lake of the Ozarks. Just be at least a little careful; it's not a good idea to get drunk and fall off a boat and drown and ruin it for everyone else, tia.

Other than that, I hope you like hanging out at tiny local bars with very friendly rednecks.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

kill you are self posted:

Lift with your glutes and hips. Hip drive.

:doh:

I meant legs, thank you.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

germskr posted:

there is a super wal-mart nearby.

also a cracker barrel.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

i hear tell there's a buffalo wild wings off post now if you want to go hang out with a bunch of AIT privates dressed in sweet tapout gear

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
at least three of them will be wearing strap on eye pro

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
some will have ACU camelbaks, others will have ACU assault packs. all will be gay.

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 16, 2015

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
CHECK OUT MY WICKED BASIC TRAINING TEE SHIRT DRILL SERGEANT SMITH WAS SUCH A BAD rear end

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
black pt pants, white tee shirt, combat boots.

sup ladies

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
what about high and tights

"nah bro it's just a high fade"

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

CHECK OUT MY WICKED BASIC TRAINING TEE SHIRT DRILL SERGEANT SMITH WAS SUCH A BAD rear end

you forgot the fuckin awesome basic training class ring.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
ahahahhahahaha yo it totes got the armor logo tanker 4lyfe death before dismount get up on this dick yo

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mike-o posted:

you forgot the fuckin awesome basic training class ring.

what a scrub, check this sweet sword i bought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I used to give my DEPs a class specifically about buying swords and 2015 camaros as E1s. Some listened, some did not. Then I stopped caring.

Had one kid buy a 2006 Dakota at for 16k at 18% interest tell me he got a good deal because they threw in an amplifier :(

• Locked thread