Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Plinkey posted:

Also B1s are super cool. I worked on them for about 6 years, but gently caress sitting in that cockpit when it's 100+ degrees outside trying to do testing.

Now days they hook up an ACE to the place if you need Avionics powered up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Now days they hook up an ACE to the place if you need Avionics powered up.

Maybe for operational squads but not test (the ACE carts didn't work reliably). "oh, your fuel got too hot, come back in about 2-3 hours and we'll try again or if you want to get it done how's midnight sound?'

Unless they got new carts for everyone in the past like 3 years.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Even taken to its logical (insane) conclusion as a zero length launch system, a solid fuel rocket motor has zero spin-up time, unlike a turbine engine. Having the pilots sit in their jets all day with the engines running, canopies closed, and electronics on full isn't a practical solution, and even then they're going to be beat by an "aircraft" that's over 50% propellant and weighs a tenth of a jetfighter because it can delete things like landing gear.

something about F104s and rockets

iirc one of these almost took out chuck yeager, some sort of problem with the flow from the wing obstructing the T-tail

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Plinkey posted:

Also B1s are super cool.

This year and the past one I've visited Nellis AFB to watch stuff returning from Red Flag exercises near the motor speedway with the other planespotting nerds. I've gotten three B-2s, but I've yet to get a B-52 or a B-1. I will sometime dammit. :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Another thing I'd like to do: visit the secret 747 burial ground in Oscoda, Michigan. Not really sure how I'd go about that though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

StandardVC10 posted:

Another thing I'd like to do: visit the secret 747 burial ground in Oscoda, Michigan. Not really sure how I'd go about that though.

We have one of those too - Goodyear Airport, where airplanes go to die..

Although there haven't been a lot of 747's there in recent years, but lots of tri-jets and smaller stuff. Also notice at the far north-east end of the tarmac area where all the jets waiting to die are parked - there is a lone DC-7, an ex-KLM aircraft that was converted to a VIP interior, and has been sitting at the airport since February, 1976.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am really not a fan of commemorative paint schemes, but this thing is gorgeous.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Eej posted:

Are they developing stealthy externally mounted munitions so there won't even be the blip from the bay doors opening? Or is that just too excessive?

I feel like that'd be a huge boondoggle that would cost billions and have little measurable return ... so Lockmart's probably got a proposal in.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Plinkey posted:

It also leaves you wide open for that limited time to eyes on the ground (which can gently caress you up good with SAMs).

Obviously we need stealth bombers with their weapon bays on the top.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gervasius posted:

I am really not a fan of commemorative paint schemes, but this thing is gorgeous.

I would pay a dollar or two to see a Rafale in an historic paint scheme.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Giblet Plus! posted:

something about F104s and rockets

Yeah it's because that plane always looked intrinsically Flash Gordon/kitsch retro sci fi as gently caress

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would pay a dollar or two to see a Rafale in an historic paint scheme.

I'll take my payment now.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Gervasius posted:

With a Yak-9?

e: Free French Air Force.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 15, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Plinkey posted:

Maybe for operational squads but not test (the ACE carts didn't work reliably). "oh, your fuel got too hot, come back in about 2-3 hours and we'll try again or if you want to get it done how's midnight sound?'

Unless they got new carts for everyone in the past like 3 years.

In Qatar, the B1 squadron kept stealing our new ACE carts and leaving us with the old ones that tended to not cool right.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 15, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Psion posted:

I feel like that'd be a huge boondoggle that would cost billions and have little measurable return ... so Lockmart's probably got a proposal in.

Well yeah, if it works right how are you going to measure it?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Eej posted:

Are they developing stealthy externally mounted munitions so there won't even be the blip from the bay doors opening? Or is that just too excessive?
There are already externally mounted LO weapons, Storm Shadow and JASSM for example, but I'm guessing that unless you go full on stealth weapons pod like Boeing proposed for the Super Hornet, the squeeze isn't worth the juice.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 15, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Gervasius posted:

:dogbutton:

Everyone laugh at this Bad Opinion.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cat Mattress posted:

Obviously we need stealth bombers with their weapon bays on the top.

Nah, LockMart will come up with a F-35 variant with a rotating cockpit so that the whole plane can fly upside-down.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:dogbutton:

Everyone laugh at this Bad Opinion.

AHAHAHA LOOK AT THIS GUY

(it's you)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

joat mon posted:

With a Yak-9?

e: Free French Air Force.

For historical reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normandie-Niemen

That's why they've got that big red star on this commemorative livery. Fun fact: for some reason, that squadron was not chosen to be the French contribution to NATO presence in Poland and the Baltic states.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Eej posted:

Well yeah, if it works right how are you going to measure it?

:rimshot:

but no, seriously, a cruise missile that has some LO features to help guard against getting shot down as it goes 100 miles to target is one thing, a LO AIM-120 would probably be compromised way too much on the "ability to track and kill a fast-moving jet" part of the job ... defeating the point.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

StandardVC10 posted:

Thats where Kalitta Air stores its parts/spare 747's.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Psion posted:

:rimshot:

but no, seriously, a cruise missile that has some LO features to help guard against getting shot down as it goes 100 miles to target is one thing, a LO AIM-120 would probably be compromised way too much on the "ability to track and kill a fast-moving jet" part of the job ... defeating the point.

A LO AIM-120 replacement was fielded for the YF-23/YF-22 program, called Have Dash. The results of test flights is still classified :shrug:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SybilVimes posted:

A LO AIM-120 replacement was fielded for the YF-23/YF-22 program, called Have Dash. The results of test flights is still classified :shrug:

Perhaps classified is a euphemism for waste of time and money? I don't think this F-19 Stealth Fighter scenario where a lone F-22 sneaks behind enemy lines and silently slits throats is very realistic. Stealth is a lot more related to the famous / infamous WW1 dazzle camouflage than people give the latter credit for, it's about tipping the game in your favor given the state of sensors, not a cloak of invisibility. Invent better sensors, defeat stealth. While the F-22s radar is amazing in the way it can selectively scan etc, it's still an easily detectable EMR emitter. And while it doesn't have to emit EMR to launch, it can rely on data sharing (IDK how it works, a wingman tags a MiG on FB or something) , the missile needs to home. If a weapon bay is uncovered for 2 seconds, it can be timed between scans. As for the missile itself, it does nothing better than scream towards its target with the active radar howling its war cry. How these tactics play out IRL is classified for the next 20 years I suppose, but it's definitely some sort of tit for tat given Russian capabilities and not pure EM invisibility with tactics relying on hiding. EM dominance can be more powerful than EM stealth, as the F-14 and -15 record can attest.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SybilVimes posted:

I'm going to guess a hypersonic lifting-body LO ramjet dual seeker missile's results are still classified because they're complete fiction.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

Perhaps classified is a euphemism for waste of time and money? I don't think this F-19 Stealth Fighter scenario where a lone F-22 sneaks behind enemy lines and silently slits throats is very realistic. Stealth is a lot more related to the famous / infamous WW1 dazzle camouflage than people give the latter credit for, it's about tipping the game in your favor given the state of sensors, not a cloak of invisibility. Invent better sensors, defeat stealth. While the F-22s radar is amazing in the way it can selectively scan etc, it's still an easily detectable EMR emitter. And while it doesn't have to emit EMR to launch, it can rely on data sharing (IDK how it works, a wingman tags a MiG on FB or something) , the missile needs to home. If a weapon bay is uncovered for 2 seconds, it can be timed between scans. As for the missile itself, it does nothing better than scream towards its target with the active radar howling its war cry. How these tactics play out IRL is classified for the next 20 years I suppose, but it's definitely some sort of tit for tat given Russian capabilities and not pure EM invisibility with tactics relying on hiding. EM dominance can be more powerful than EM stealth, as the F-14 and -15 record can attest.

Exactly what the trade offs are for a missile like that is certainly something you'd want to keep under wraps.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ola posted:

nvent better sensors, defeat stealth. While the F-22s radar is amazing in the way it can selectively scan etc, it's still an easily detectable EMR emitter. And while it doesn't have to emit EMR to launch, it can rely on data sharing (IDK how it works, a wingman tags a MiG on FB or something) , the missile needs to home. If a weapon bay is uncovered for 2 seconds, it can be timed between scans. As for the missile itself, it does nothing better than scream towards its target with the active radar howling its war cry. How these tactics play out IRL is classified for the next 20 years I suppose, but it's definitely some sort of tit for tat given Russian capabilities and not pure EM invisibility with tactics relying on hiding. EM dominance can be more powerful than EM stealth, as the F-14 and -15 record can attest.
This is not really how any of that works. ELINT is a lot more complicated than you seem to think.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Gervasius posted:

I know that Yak, I think it's one of Meier Motors machines. It wasn't that one but I had a seat in a chaps yak 3M when I was down there and they have remarkably little headroom.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

or perhaps instead of LO missiles we could have some sort of stealth shell that covers them and is ejected before use

maybe we could even reduce waste by making them part of the aircraft

possibly we could place these enclosures on the fuselage, and have doors that open to let the missile fire

wouldnt that be something

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Lasers.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This is always the correct answer.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Lasting peace is also an answer

:ironicat:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A division of F-22s running around slaughtering fighters is cool and all, but I'm much more excited about F-22s penetrating enemy airspace and blinding the enemy IADS and deafening the enemy C4I networks with SDBs. You know, poo poo that while maybe less flashy has potentially much greater strategic value for ground forces than blowing up a bunch of upgraded MiG-21s and painting silhouettes on a fighter-jocks plane.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mlmp08 posted:

A division of F-22s running around slaughtering fighters is cool and all, but I'm much more excited about F-22s penetrating enemy airspace and blinding the enemy IADS and deafening the enemy C4I networks with SDBs. You know, poo poo that while maybe less flashy has potentially much greater strategic value for ground forces than blowing up a bunch of upgraded MiG-21s and painting silhouettes on a fighter-jocks plane.

Top Gun 2 is going to loving suck.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MrYenko posted:

Top Gun 2 is going to loving suck.

The only way I could see the movie *not* sucking is if they write it like a 'farewell' piece to manned naval aviation - a bunch of young and middle-aged guys trying to enjoy the last gasps of ~life on the edge~. But no, they'll probably just try to remake "Stealth" with a better cast and cross their fingers that the CGI draws enough people in to double their money.

If they were smart they'd try to make a movie that revolved around Red Flag. Pacific Rim drew in beaucoup bucks because it had international appeal...only issue would be...all the conflict isn't real. Kind of hard to spin drama around "he drank too much the night before and plowed into a mountain."

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only way I could see the movie *not* sucking is if they write it like a 'farewell' piece to manned naval aviation - a bunch of young and middle-aged guys trying to enjoy the last gasps of ~life on the edge~. But no, they'll probably just try to remake "Stealth" with a better cast and cross their fingers that the CGI draws enough people in to double their money.

If they were smart they'd try to make a movie that revolved around Red Flag. Pacific Rim drew in beaucoup bucks because it had international appeal...only issue would be...all the conflict isn't real. Kind of hard to spin drama around "he drank too much the night before and plowed into a mountain."

Sports movie with airplanes could work.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'll buy the Top Gun 2 blu ray if there's an F-14 appearance.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ardeem posted:

"China vs. India. FIGHT!"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SybilVimes posted:

Can we take a moment to appreciate how cool-looking the YF-23 was, even if it was not as cool as the F-22 is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_YF-23

It looks loving wrong. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ardeem posted:

That movie was called Planes.