Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Old Man Pants posted:

You'll get a different answer from every employee in my experience.

But if one of those answers is "Yes, I'll do it for you right now", then that kind of solves the problem, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I went to Sprint store yesterday, the deal I got was the $80/month unlimited plan plus a new S6 edge on lease; apparently Samsung covers the lease payment for the life of the lease so that's a $20/month credit. I'm paying a little less than I was before and got new phone for free so that's cool.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

i'm in a similar boat, the simply everything 500 plan with taxes and fees comes out to about 77 a month for me. If I take the five bucks, or even zero bucks lease with loyalty discount how long does that last for? Can I just keep my next phone for as long as I want? Am I entitled to keep the discount as long as I want or is it a one contract and done then you're back to the 20 bucks a month plan for plebes?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

But if one of those answers is "Yes, I'll do it for you right now", then that kind of solves the problem, right?

Not if they don't explain right, lie, or leave out details.

Tykoe Corp
Apr 26, 2005
I've had my phone on seasonal stand-by since October. I called today to reinstate my SERO 500 plan and got it done without any trouble. However, the rep told me that the $50 SERO Premium 500 will be phased out soon. I asked if they had any idea of when, and she said they weren't given any dates. She also said that a similar plan would replace it, but it would cost $60. Anybody hear anything about this?

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Tykoe Corp posted:

I've had my phone on seasonal stand-by since October. I called today to reinstate my SERO 500 plan and got it done without any trouble. However, the rep told me that the $50 SERO Premium 500 will be phased out soon. I asked if they had any idea of when, and she said they weren't given any dates. She also said that a similar plan would replace it, but it would cost $60. Anybody hear anything about this?

Nope. I have two lines on my plan. One for $30 with an HTC Touch Pro 2, one for $50 with the S4 on it. I am not in any mood to pay more than that.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Tykoe Corp posted:

I found a post on HoFo mentioning this. Apparently they want to force you onto unlimited minutes for $60, rather than 500min for $50. Looks like I'm gonna be forced to upgrade to the $50 SERO Premium plan ASAP, a year or two before my town even gets LTE.

edit: plan change went smoothly :)

td4guy fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 10, 2015

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

bewbies posted:

So I went to Sprint store yesterday, the deal I got was the $80/month unlimited plan plus a new S6 edge on lease; apparently Samsung covers the lease payment for the life of the lease so that's a $20/month credit. I'm paying a little less than I was before and got new phone for free so that's cool.

Is this an advertised deal anywhere? I'd be willing to get a new phone if I could get a deal like that seems like a win win.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

BrownieVK posted:

Is this an advertised deal anywhere? I'd be willing to get a new phone if I could get a deal like that seems like a win win.
Yeah, it's right on the front page of Sprint.com at the moment.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'd still like to know what they charge you at the end of the lease to keep the phone.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
edit derp

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

zer0spunk posted:

I'd still like to know what they charge you at the end of the lease to keep the phone.

Because it's a lease, not a payment plan.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
uh, what? You have an option to buy the phone at the end of the 2 years. Otherwise you give it back, hence the being a lease part. They won't tell you what that charge is or how it's calculated which seems like a pretty poo poo deal if you're paying into a lease every month with no actual equity at the end of it. They could be really transparent and up front about how the buyout cost is devised but ya know, it's sprint.

I just went over this since I upgraded this week..here's what I came away with-

The lease credit only covers one s6 model (32g), if you bump up in storage you're then covering either 5 or 10 a month yourself. You also get signed up for their 80 a month plan. So for what I got device wise I was now looking at 25 bucks more a month then what I was currently paying for the same plan. If you assume we're talking about 24 month periods instead of 22 or 20 or whatever it once was..right there it's an extra 600 bucks, and I don't actually own the device. Since I can't get a straight answer on what the cost of buying the device at the end of the 24 month period is, let's assume its whatever you put in monthly on the lease against the total retail on the device. If I've paid in 30 a month (20 of which is a credit from sprint), that gets me to 720 against a 920 dollar retail cost. I'm on the hook for 200 more if I want to keep the device to sell or just have. That's hoping they don't just throw in whatever processing and admin fees they want on that lease, who really knows.

So, let's look at the numbers. Right now I'm on the hook for 78 a month all in for the service over 24 months..that's 1,872 for the service total. If I take the contract subsidy, that's + 500 to that total but I own the phone. Overall I'm looking at 2,372 over 2 years.

If I go the lease route, I'm looking at 1,872 plus 800 for the change in service/lease non credited balance and then I also own the phone..again assuming there's 0 fees on top of that for leasing which is optimistic at best. 2,672 for the same thing.

So this really doesn't do a drat thing for me, and would only be a smart move if I was suckered in by the "ooo free phone*" aspect.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 8, 2015

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I don't really know how to say this without sounding like a jackass, but I guess Sprint is relying on people who can't afford a $200 up-front payment for the phone, and people who can't or won't do the math you've just shown. As long as you don't destroy your phone, once you buy the first one, at the end of your contract, you can usually sell it for all or most of the $200 for the new phone. My current iPhone was basically free because I sold off my previous one for close to $200. Hopefully they never get rid of this way of getting phones. I would definitely NOT ever ever lease a phone.

Also what happens if you break the phone during the lease? On the hook for another $20/mo? So then it'd be $100/mo. for your service? Or is phone insurance somehow added to the plan?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I don't really know how to say this without sounding like a jackass, but I guess Sprint is relying on people who can't afford a $200 up-front payment for the phone, and people who can't or won't do the math you've just shown. As long as you don't destroy your phone, once you buy the first one, at the end of your contract, you can usually sell it for all or most of the $200 for the new phone. My current iPhone was basically free because I sold off my previous one for close to $200. Hopefully they never get rid of this way of getting phones. I would definitely NOT ever ever lease a phone.

I think you're missing the part where non-contract plans are cheaper than contract plans, unless you're on an old plan like SERO. The leasing option is catered more towards bringing in new customers though.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The leasing option is catered more towards bringing in new customers though.

Everything they do is basically this. They could really care less about retention. Or customer service to be honest. This is a company that told me I should make all my calls outside when I lived in a total deadzone building and..not in a joking manner.

I get it I guess. I'm sure their numbers are based on signups, and don't take into account people ditching the service before the contract. And rising etfs mean it doesn't matter if you leave anyway, they are good.

They are still ok enough in nyc/east coast that I don't feel like paying 30 bucks more with another provider makes much sense.

I am really hoping project fi is a successful venture, I am all about it but not into a nexus 6.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think you're missing the part where non-contract plans are cheaper than contract plans, unless you're on an old plan like SERO. The leasing option is catered more towards bringing in new customers though.
I guess I might just not understand. Is the leasing deal only on non-contract plans? I thought it was just another avenue to provide a contract customer a phone. I am on SERO Premium though.

Question still stands. How does it deal with a destroyed/lost phone?

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
"Sprint will cease operating the Sprint 4G (WiMax) Network on 11/6/15."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Will Clear still operate?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

They haven't moved all the clearwire customers over to Sprint LTE yet? They stopped selling plans ages ago.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hrolfr posted:

good riddance

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'm going to France for two weeks in June, I have a nexus 5. Do I need to do anything special to use a euro SIM card I can pick up in a gas station?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I think it depends on who you got the phone from. If through Sprint, it's possibly simlocked and you need to hit them up to get it unlocked. If through play store (where I got mine), nothing needs to be done.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

GEMorris posted:

I'm going to France for two weeks in June, I have a nexus 5. Do I need to do anything special to use a euro SIM card I can pick up in a gas station?

At least as of 2014, it was unlocked: https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/795087#!/

I'd still probably check.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I got my Nexus 5 from Sprint last August right before I went to Scotland, and I had no problem picking up a prepaid microSIM from Three and popping it in. Unlimited LTE worked just fine.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I got my Nexus 5 from Sprint last August right before I went to Scotland, and I had no problem picking up a prepaid microSIM from Three and popping it in. Unlimited LTE worked just fine.

How much would an unlimited data Sim card cost for say 2 weeks?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hrolfr posted:

So ends one of the worst business decisions ever.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Duckman2008 posted:

So ends one of the worst business decisions ever.

I remember considering Clearwire for my internet service because I had such a poor experience with both AT&T and Comcast, the only two options for broadband at my home. Clearwire was more expensive than the AT&T DSL line and half as fast. I have no idea who they were marketing Clearwire home internet service to, because every place it was available already had an arguably better and more affordable option with landline services. I still hate Comcast and AT&T, but not enough to pay more for slower service.

I'll always be thankful that I dodged the Wimax bullet.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

GEMorris posted:

How much would an unlimited data Sim card cost for say 2 weeks?

The one I got was £15.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

td4guy posted:

I found a post on HoFo mentioning this. Apparently they want to force you onto unlimited minutes for $60, rather than 500min for $50. Looks like I'm gonna be forced to upgrade to the $50 SERO Premium plan ASAP, a year or two before my town even gets LTE.

edit: plan change went smoothly :)

This is bullshit. The minutes are probably the least important aspect of the plan, especially considering your weekend and weeknight minutes don't even count toward the 500 minute total. I usually use like 15-30 minutes per month.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Blakkout posted:

This is bullshit. The minutes are probably the least important aspect of the plan, especially considering your weekend and weeknight minutes don't even count toward the 500 minute total. I usually use like 15-30 minutes per month.

I for one have gone over my 500 SERO minutes a couple of times.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Blakkout posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised carriers haven't just moved everything to a purely IP based system at this point and just give you data.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

e.pilot posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised carriers haven't just moved everything to a purely IP based system at this point and just give you data.

Seems like that's the way things will go once the legacy networks are shut down in favor of all LTE all the time.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
https://www.sprint.com/inhomecoverage

Like T-Mobile, Sprint is now giving away wifi routers to customers with Wifi Calling phones. The routers are really nice Asus RT-AC66u with Sprint firmware that prioritizes Wifi Calling traffic. A few of the features from the Asus factory firmware are missing, but it may be possible to install Asus or aftermarket firmware just like with Tmobile's CellSpot.

Call (866) 556-7310 to order one from the AirRave department.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

goku chewbacca posted:

Like T-Mobile, Sprint is now giving away wifi routers to customers with Wifi Calling phones. The routers are really nice Asus RT-AC66u with Sprint firmware that prioritizes Wifi Calling traffic. A few of the features from the Asus factory firmware are missing, but it may be possible to install Asus or aftermarket firmware just like with Tmobile's CellSpot.

Ooh hey now maybe I can finally use my phone. :homebrew:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

goku chewbacca posted:

My Nexus 5 :negative:

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

goku chewbacca posted:

So far the update doesn't work. I've had mine a little over 2 weeks and tried for hours by flashing a factory image, then forcing the router into recovery mode like is needed for te TMobile router. Even though it acts like it updates and never gives an error or anything, it boots back up with the same sprint firmware.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

uapyro posted:

So far the update doesn't work. I've had mine a little over 2 weeks and tried for hours by flashing a factory image, then forcing the router into recovery mode like is needed for te TMobile router. Even though it acts like it updates and never gives an error or anything, it boots back up with the same sprint firmware.

Did you get that backward? First you put the router in recovery mode, and then used Asus's Restoration software on your PC to flash the Asus firmware?

If that's the case, I think we'll need to flash the Asus bootloader too. You have to hexedit an Asus stock CFE/bootloader with the Mac IDs and WPS pin from the Sprint router, and flash it from as USB drive over telnet.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php?threads/17793/

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

goku chewbacca posted:

Did you get that backward? First you put the router in recovery mode, and then used Asus's Restoration software on your PC to flash the Asus firmware?

If that's the case, I think we'll need to flash the Asus bootloader too. You have to hexedit an Asus stock CFE/bootloader with the Mac IDs and WPS pin from the Sprint router, and flash it from as USB drive over telnet.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php?threads/17793/

Sorry, I meant to say that I originally first tried flashing the stock ASUS firmware inside the WebUI, hoping that'd be easy and work first. Since that didn't work, then I went with the method of putting the router into recovery mode by holding the reset button for 30+ seconds and then pushing the power switch.

Thanks for that link; I didn't know that you could flash over USB either. Luckily I'm not too torn up about some ASUS features being broken since I do have ASUS RT66W router; but it'd be nice for in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

Thank you for sharing. I just ordered an AC router off of Amazon but free is much better.