Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This would be a pretty decent T5 premium: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_Wicher_%281958%29

2x 130mm (the same type as the Grem) in a single turret mount, 8x AA guns (including a twin 85mm), and two quintuple torp launchers.

As for what to look forward to in regards to Russian destroyers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tashkent-class_destroyer

6x 130mm, 43.5 knots, nine torps.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

ArchangeI posted:

Can someone give me a good rule-of-thumb rundown on when to use HE vs. AP? Right now it feels like you should just HE all day every day, since it is reliable damage compared to AP.
Once I got a ship with 14-inchers I just started firing AP at everything because for the most part you can pen them. See: the screenshot where I did 21k to a Yamato in a New Mexico in a single barrage. With the 14s your worst range is probably in the 12km to 16km range, where you can't arc enough to penetrate decks, but not close enough to punch through the belt.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

After rigorous testing, I have found that there is absolutely no reason to shoot HE when a ship is broadsiding you and exposing itself, unless you are shooting little guns at a heavily armoured thing.
Yeah I don't think I've gotten anything less than a 10k+ damage barrage on a target showing their flat side to me yet.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I am hyped as poo poo for Soviet destroyers. Tashkent looks every bit the part of GOFAST SHOOTFAST hellchariot. Actually, speaking of Slavs and fast destroyers, I really hope the RN get Błyskawica as a prem. :getin:

Battleship chat: just got a new PB for damage. 200k in Izumo, almost all primaries. The ship is actually not bad, it looks goofy as hell though. The superstructure looks like some kind of demented sex toy and the hull structure is like a patchwork quilt.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
New Mexico First Game Trip Report:

It's a good ship.

Also, feed me more Clevelands. My four kills were three Clevelands and a Fuso. :black101:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The Atlanta is still a good ship in my book. Did a good job protecting cruiser buddies but got caught around an island by an Amagi. I got him to half health before he got me and my engines were down most of that.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

The Atlanta is still a good ship in my book. Did a good job protecting cruiser buddies but got caught around an island by an Amagi. I got him to half health before he got me and my engines were down most of that.

The Atlanta is a demon at air defense now. I just hang near our battleship group and fustrate the carrier's inability to get near them. While also covering against destroyers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MoraleHazard posted:

I murdered a Warspite with my Atlanta the other day. Set him on fire about 5 times as I ran for an island, then he was dumb and kept going straight on the other side of the small island so I survived his secondaries for a short time and then unloaded all 4 torpedo's into him at about 500 yards for a devastating strike thing. First time I've ever gotten the Atlanta's torpedo's into anything.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Stevefin posted:

Yeah they are right, even in the bigger battleships you want to get at 13-10km so your shells have a flat arc, more chances for hits and pens that way

So armor models are pretty terrible then? Plunging fire in big gun ships was almost always (not always) more likely to score penetrations than flat hits against belt armor.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

So armor models are pretty terrible then? Plunging fire in big gun ships was almost always (not always) more likely to score penetrations than flat hits against belt armor.

Wow that was so long ago. But I think it is a hidden part of balance to atleast give smaller ships a chance to fight back without getting reliably full broadsided beyond their engagement range

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Plunging fire is harder to hit with but it's also a good way to deal big damage. Flat trajectory shots are just easier, and it's relatively easy to catch pubbies in a bad position where their armour is unangled.

The game doesn't actually let you elevate your guns high enough to do real plunging shots. Instead, shots near max range travel flat and then drop precipitously when they get where your crosshair was to simulate it.

Either way, they drop downwards onto deck armour, which is modeled. Funnily though, you used to be able to hover over your stats and check your armour layout, but they removed that this patch.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Thing is that maximum firing range is capped based on the height and width of the fire director (gotta see it to shoot it). On early US BBs that thing is really low and tiny, so you get rangedcapped way earlier than the shells start to come in at high angles.

On something like the Fuso on the other hand you can plunge all day. Assuming that anyone is dumb enough to keep a course that lets you hit them with a 18 sec shell travel time, anyway.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Alectai posted:

So, any decent ways to get good at shooting in this game? I'm at a pretty nasty disadvantage by having to eyeball my fire when other people just have to point at a reticle for perfect accuracy.

If you're in a cruiser with quick reloads, there's nothing wrong with ranging shots. In a long-reload BB:
1. Zoom in on target and lock onto it.
2. Hold alt and note flight time
3. Put the aimpoint where you think you should aim, focus on the ocean passing the aimpoint and start counting seconds.
4. Count in your head the number of seconds in the flight time, while watching the spot on the ocean that you were aiming at when you started counting.
5. If the enemy boat is passing over that spot when your count hits the flight time, then you have the right lead. If not, increase or decrease it accordingly.
a. Note that when locked and zoomed on an parallel enemy that doesn't change course, once you have your aim dialed in, you do not need to touch the mouse at all. Every salvo will land in the same area because it's locked on the enemy.
b. if you see the enemy turning, you have to estimate where he will be when the shells land; not hard to get close unless they're really nimble
c. There is a little bit of momentum from your movement, but that mostly comes into play when the enemy is grounded/stationary.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
People are hilariously bad at dodging torpedoes today. My Nicholas killed 2 DD's with them (plus one from guns) and then I got the rest of my Surprise! Mission in two Minekaze games where I sunk almost everything I shot my torps at. The second game I had over 100k damage over 5 ships thanks to people either not bothering to dodge (two carriers) or turning into my spread (New York, Wyoming and a Murmansk.)

It was a good day to be a DD :allears:

The Torpedo tube sounds are nice, just wish they cut back the dude saying AA & secondaries are offline.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I think the turning changes actually make it easier to dodge torpedoes now, if you know they are coming. But yeah, it is a great time to play destroyers with most people playing the slowass US battleships.

The reduced detection range of aircraft makes long range torpedoes a lot more viable after the patch. I got several kills from almost 10km tonight. Sure, it was due to dumb people traveling in a straight line at max speed for that long, but they would have spotted the torpedoes in plenty of time to dodge or cut speed before the patch.

How do you all like the new Hot Spot map? I think it is funny that it is called Bees to Honey in replay files since most players seem to be allergic to the center cap point.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I Greyhound posted:

If you're in a cruiser with quick reloads, there's nothing wrong with ranging shots. In a long-reload BB:
3. Put the aimpoint where you think you should aim, focus on the ocean passing the aimpoint and start counting seconds.
4. Count in your head the number of seconds in the flight time, while watching the spot on the ocean that you were aiming at when you started counting.
5. If the enemy boat is passing over that spot when your count hits the flight time, then you have the right lead. If not, increase or decrease it accordingly.
a. Note that when locked and zoomed on an parallel enemy that doesn't change course, once you have your aim dialed in, you do not need to touch the mouse at all. Every salvo will land in the same area because it's locked on the enemy.
b. if you see the enemy turning, you have to estimate where he will be when the shells land; not hard to get close unless they're really nimble
c. There is a little bit of momentum from your movement, but that mostly comes into play when the enemy is grounded/stationary.

Doesn't the alt menu only show range, not flight time? Or am I just goddamn ignorant?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kesper North posted:

Doesn't the alt menu only show range, not flight time? Or am I just goddamn ignorant?
It's literally to the left of the crosshair, opposite of the range.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

grrarg posted:

I think the turning changes actually make it easier to dodge torpedoes now, if you know they are coming. But yeah, it is a great time to play destroyers with most people playing the slowass US battleships.

US battleships are slower, but they turn much better than the IJN BBs, it seems?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Weissritter posted:

US battleships are slower, but they turn much better than the IJN BBs, it seems?

This is true, but when a full spread of torpedo's from a DD that never showed up on the map appears about 150~200 yards from impact.. it doesn't matter at all.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

grrarg posted:

Yea it feel like everyone is able to easily dodge my torp these days.
Gotta aim for busy target too focused on their gunfire.

They should balance chances of setting a fire with caliber and rate of fire, it seems ridiculous on some of the US Cruisers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6iDIduEY1w

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Krogort posted:

Yea it feel like everyone is able to easily dodge my torp these days.
Gotta aim for busy target too focused on their gunfire.

They should balance chances of setting a fire with caliber and rate of fire, it seems ridiculous on some of the US Cruisers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6iDIduEY1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4gyJsY0mc

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

To be fair, this describes any US cruiser or destroyer that gets more than 9 rounds per minute fire rate :getin::respek::supaburn:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I so want to play this, and now that I've a secure income stream again I'm even willing to buy into the beta - I'm just a total idiot when it comes to macs and apparently can't get Bootcamp to install on this macbook so I couldn't even play it. :saddowns:

Out of curiosity, what ship would y'all recommend for someone looking to buy into the CBT? I'm kinda leaning towards the Sims, but I dunno really.

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 16, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TehKeen posted:

I so want to play this, and now that I've a secure income stream again I'm even willing to buy into the beta - I'm just a total idiot when it comes to macs and apparently can't get Bootcamp to install on this macbook so I couldn't even play it. :saddowns:

Out of curiosity, what ship would y'all recommend for someone looking to buy into the CBT? I'm kinda leaning towards the Sims, but I dunno really.

Sims is pretty strong, but it tends to get overpowered by secondaries carried on big ships, and the level of play is generally higher at T7. I would recommend the Grem or the Yubari TBH. Yubari has great AA defenses compared to most ships at T4, and has strong torps, but they only fire in a reverse arc, so it's hard to use them. It's fast as hell, and relies on speed to avoid getting hit.

Grem has 130mm turrets, biggest turrets you can get on a DD, and it's very fast and has strong, if short range torps. Yet again, speed and agility are your keys to survival.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The Grem is probably the best of the three preorder ships. It is at a very good tier, gets decent guns and very good torpedos.

However, it seems to be a very strange mix of two playstyles. It excels at anything long range - the guns have the range and the accuracy, as well as firepower and refirerate to be effective at max distance. The torpedos work great at area denial and pack a mean punch.

You can use your superior handling and speed to dodge bullets quite a lot. However, when you get close you cannot afford to wait for your guns to turn - probably the only weakness it has. Keep doging, use your torpedos and then harass and battleships at a healthy distance.

e: oh and always play this when driving the Grem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 16, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I Greyhound posted:

And people wonder why the aimbot was so popular.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I never did all that. Put arrow over ship, move arrow in direction ship is moving, have a feeling for it, shoot.
90% of the time it is a good hit so who cares.

I'm sorry if you are all awful at estimating stuff.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

The Grem is probably the best of the three preorder ships. It is at a very good tier, gets decent guns and very good torpedos.

However, it seems to be a very strange mix of two playstyles. It excels at anything long range - the guns have the range and the accuracy, as well as firepower and refirerate to be effective at max distance. The torpedos work great at area denial and pack a mean punch.

You can use your superior handling and speed to dodge bullets quite a lot. However, when you get close you cannot afford to wait for your guns to turn - probably the only weakness it has. Keep doging, use your torpedos and then harass and battleships at a healthy distance.

e: oh and always play this when driving the Grem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

And it cost 10$ less than the Sims, what's not to love.

The captain uprade for turret turn speed is mandatory on this ship in my opinion. Before you get that the guns are very hard to use.

Bonus track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEt41bYQBgE

Krogort fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 16, 2015

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
If "shoot where they are going to be, not where they are" is too hard for someone, they should pass on this and play Cow Clicker instead.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

I Greyhound posted:

If "shoot where they are going to be, not where they are" is too hard for someone, they should pass on this and play Cow Clicker instead.

It doesn't help that ships seems to have different muzzle velocity, switching from one to another ruin my aim.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

I never did all that. Put arrow over ship, move arrow in direction ship is moving, have a feeling for it, shoot.
90% of the time it is a good hit so who cares.

I'm sorry if you are all awful at estimating stuff.

I just think the aiming is pretty unintuitive, especially in comparison to tanks.
The shell speed have a lot to do with it.
The alt-key for example, should be on by default and switched in the same way as you change target.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Imho I had no problem with it at all. In my head I just think of the distance to the target, at what angle it is to me, what kind of ship it is (which tells me how fast it is most likely going), and then I just do put the ranging stripes where I think they belong.

It' not unintuitive at all. In fact it is extremely simple. People are just too stupid to grasp concepts harder than "Target moving, must aim further ahead".

e: The "Count the seconds by looking at a spot at the ocean" is nice in theory if 1. The target never moves 2. It would take less than 5 seconds. Because at a flight time of 10 seconds I am probably wasiting more time ranging than firing a volley, hitting with onyl two shells, and then adjusting and hitting with a full broadside.

But maybe I am just playing the game wrong.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

And people wonder why the aimbot was so popular.

I didn't. I know most of you are scum that'd cheat at a moments notice.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Now this is how you do an x4 daily.

The New Mexico is a loving monster at 8-12km. Dreadnought and High Calibre in the same match from shooting up three BBs for most of their health.

Also, for people who want perma-Alt: Hold down the Alt key, then hit your numpad enter key. Hit enter again to close the chat. You now have the Alt info displayed permanently until you hit Alt again.

Magni fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 16, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
You are doing it wrong, this is how to do a 4x daily :haw:

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I'm gonna start playing this soon. My buddy's been playing and loves destroyers. I'll mostly be playing with him. Is there a type of ship that would complement destroyers well as we rank up or should I just do whatever?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Mahasamatman posted:

I'm gonna start playing this soon. My buddy's been playing and loves destroyers. I'll mostly be playing with him. Is there a type of ship that would complement destroyers well as we rank up or should I just do whatever?

Another destroyer? Destroyer wolfpacks are pretty awesome, especially when you launch torpedoes at a ship from two different angles so he's hosed no matter which way he turns.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

El Disco posted:

Another destroyer? Destroyer wolfpacks are pretty awesome, especially when you launch torpedoes at a ship from two different angles so he's hosed no matter which way he turns.

Basically this. Most ships can only dogfight so well, and turning turrets take time. You can gently caress battleships up by torping them from both sides, and with combined forepower you will lay more fires than a pyromaniac on silvester.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Another recommendation for the Gremyaschy. The Sims is fun but isn't necessarily good. The Yubari is too big and soft to have firepower as weak as it does. It loses gun duels to destroyers handily if they keep their heads and only really has being an acceptable screen going for it until the ship it's screening enters combat.

The Grem has slow turrets so get the crew skill for turret turn, but once you get that, it's the best destroyer at long range gunfire and has pretty long range torps (8 km makes non suicide runs viable). It's probably the most versatile destroyer, and has an option to punish nearly any mistake.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Imho I had no problem with it at all. In my head I just think of the distance to the target, at what angle it is to me, what kind of ship it is (which tells me how fast it is most likely going), and then I just do put the ranging stripes where I think they belong.

It' not unintuitive at all. In fact it is extremely simple. People are just too stupid to grasp concepts harder than "Target moving, must aim further ahead".

e: The "Count the seconds by looking at a spot at the ocean" is nice in theory if 1. The target never moves 2. It would take less than 5 seconds. Because at a flight time of 10 seconds I am probably wasiting more time ranging than firing a volley, hitting with onyl two shells, and then adjusting and hitting with a full broadside.

But maybe I am just playing the game wrong.

And compared to tanks it is still pretty bad. Even arty in WoT, flawed as it is, is more intuitive than how the ranging is implemented.
Also, waiting 20s for your shells to land is pretty boring.
What I liked about the aimbot mod was how it introduced simplicity into the game. Not fighting the tank was one of the reasons for WoTs success and I would like to see that repeated in WoWS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
And to think that a few weeks ago people were bored with the game because leading shots was both too simple and the only real gameplay in the game.