Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there a US auto/home insurance recommendation thread? I checked the business/finance subforum, but might've missed it.

The insurance thread has sadly fallen to page 2:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488763

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Why not just build up the latch plates instead? Putting some 1/4" or 1/2" shims behind them sounds like it would solve your problem.

I thought it might look funny or catch stray elbows or something, but that seems like it's probably the best/easiest solution.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
n/m
trying something apparently already goon-recommended

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I need to wash some accumulated seed/bird detritus off of a wooden railing so I can stain it. However, there isn't a spigot within reach with our hose. Do hardware stores rent portable pressure washers? Do they work decently well?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

I need to wash some accumulated seed/bird detritus off of a wooden railing so I can stain it. However, there isn't a spigot within reach with our hose. Do hardware stores rent portable pressure washers? Do they work decently well?

I cleaned a deck once with an electric bucket-fed pressure washer. They are a thing and they're powerful enough to clean a deck. I think the one I bought was like $90 and then I sold it to my mom for 80.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
A stiff bristle brush and a bucket of soapy water will save you about $100 and for a railing, work just as well.

Also, 100' hoses are like $20.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

photomikey posted:

A stiff bristle brush and a bucket of soapy water will save you about $100 and for a railing, work just as well.

Also, 100' hoses are like $20.

Derp. For some reason I was fixated on power tools. Time to find/buy a brush!

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Does anyone here know the lyrics to Prune Slicker? Google is of no help.

Music video for Prune Slicker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YoiongdFDw

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

Pogo the Clown posted:

You're pretty much out of luck unless you want to use herbicide, they seed prolifically and are tough to kill. Depending on how industrious you're feeling you could split the hill into sections and do it bit by bit over a few years, combining poisoning with mechanical controls (cut the heads off before they seed) to limit the spread.

Or you could get a goat and let it graze, apparently goats really like it.

I just spent my whole day off pulling out every one I could see by hand. Fortunately most of them had not seeded yet, so hopefully there at least won't be as much of them this year. If this doesn't work I guess I'm buying a goat.

Cakefool posted:

Is the slope away from your property? Because I've seen the groundsmen mowing the amphitheatre at my old university with electric flymo mowers on a rope. Slide it down, haul it back up, move along, repeat.

It's just outside my property. My property line pretty much ends at the top of the hill right where the slope starts descending. I've never seen a hover mower (at least not a Lowe's/Home Depot). I guess you have to go to a specialty store for them. Are they expensive? More expensive than goat?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jake Snake posted:

I just spent my whole day off pulling out every one I could see by hand. Fortunately most of them had not seeded yet, so hopefully there at least won't be as much of them this year. If this doesn't work I guess I'm buying a goat.
For the love of God, don't buy a goat; rent some goats. There's probably a goat rental dude around.

So much less trouble. SO MUCH.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

kedo posted:

I thought it might look funny or catch stray elbows or something, but that seems like it's probably the best/easiest solution.

Shim the hinges instead

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jake Snake posted:

It's just outside my property. My property line pretty much ends at the top of the hill right where the slope starts descending. I've never seen a hover mower (at least not a Lowe's/Home Depot). I guess you have to go to a specialty store for them. Are they expensive? More expensive than goat?

Hovers are the cheapest wheel-less electric mowers that at best sort-of hover because they duct all the air blast down. However I'm in the UK, land of proper voltage so I don't know if you get them in 110v flavour.

For God's sake don't buy a goat. Seen goat simulator? It's pretty accurate behavior.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

For the love of God, don't buy a goat; rent some goats. There's probably a goat rental dude around.

Or - OR - buy the goat, then become the goat rental dude.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I need to pull about 200 emails from a Hotmail account. I don't know OS or software or anything like that. What's the best way to do it?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Jake Snake posted:

There's a slope just outside my property line that grows super tall weeds every summer. The county is supposed to take care of it, but their solution is just to mow it twice a year. The weeds quickly grow back, and it’s too steep for me to mow myself. The slope also leads into the street, so I don’t want to use chemical weed killers.

Any ideas on how to remove them? Permanently? I live in Florida, and the weeds are mostly these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumex_crispus.

You could try a shitload of white vinegar. A hardware store could sell you a sprayer for 10 bucks or so and you can get jugs of vinegar for a couple bucks a gallon.

Also, you could completely cover parts of it with cardboard, tarps, or old carpet and then it won't get any sun and die. That usually keeps the stuff away for a while.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Thanatosian posted:

I need to pull about 200 emails from a Hotmail account. I don't know OS or software or anything like that. What's the best way to do it?

Rent a goat.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

What do you mean by "pull?" Do you want to download them as .eml files, or as a PDF, or do you want to pull them into another mail client?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

TheLastManStanding posted:

For a basic pee test the results are available the same day. I can't imagine why they wouldn't fire the person immediately if the results came back positive.

Where I work they wait until they can get your final check cut.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

What do you mean by "pull?" Do you want to download them as .eml files, or as a PDF, or do you want to pull them into another mail client?

Download, onto a flash drive. I can work out format later, whatever is fastest.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Very Strange Things posted:

You could try a shitload of white vinegar. A hardware store could sell you a sprayer for 10 bucks or so and you can get jugs of vinegar for a couple bucks a gallon.

Also, you could completely cover parts of it with cardboard, tarps, or old carpet and then it won't get any sun and die. That usually keeps the stuff away for a while.

I've tried vinegaring weeds before and it never seems to work. Putting down a tarp seems pretty reasonable as long as he remembers to take it up before the city mows.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thanatosian posted:

Download, onto a flash drive. I can work out format later, whatever is fastest.
Thunderbird works fine with the importexporttools addon.

It's also available for all major OSes.

You will need to be able to install it though and of course have the account details.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I've only been to the teppanyaki side of a sushi house once, and it was with other people. Is it okay to just go there as a couple, and there aren't any other groups there? Would it be a waste of the chef's time, or less entertaining to us?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Golbez posted:

I've only been to the teppanyaki side of a sushi house once, and it was with other people. Is it okay to just go there as a couple, and there aren't any other groups there? Would it be a waste of the chef's time, or less entertaining to us?

They would probably sit you with another group of people to fill up the space. It can be fun if you're seated with cool strangers.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Koivunen posted:

They would probably sit you with another group of people to fill up the space. It can be fun if you're seated with cool strangers.

Oh, I agree - last time we went we were seated with strangers and it was great fun. I was just curious what happens if we're somehow the only ones there.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Golbez posted:

Oh, I agree - last time we went we were seated with strangers and it was great fun. I was just curious what happens if we're somehow the only ones there.

Most places have a minimum number of people they'll seat. If you're under that, they'll ask you to wait. Depending on the host/hostess you talk to this rule is various degree of firmness and clarity. I had one place that I went to solo to check out for a larger party that asked me to wait just a minute while they prepped the table. I was still waiting 30 minutes later for "the table to be prepped" since no-one else came in during that time. Another place I went was very accommodating and it didn't take much persuasion to get a table to myself after waiting a bit to see if any other customers were going to arrive.

You should be able to call ahead and get a straight answer.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

LLSix posted:

Most places have a minimum number of people they'll seat. If you're under that, they'll ask you to wait. Depending on the host/hostess you talk to this rule is various degree of firmness and clarity. I had one place that I went to solo to check out for a larger party that asked me to wait just a minute while they prepped the table. I was still waiting 30 minutes later for "the table to be prepped" since no-one else came in during that time. Another place I went was very accommodating and it didn't take much persuasion to get a table to myself after waiting a bit to see if any other customers were going to arrive.

You should be able to call ahead and get a straight answer.

Aha, thanks, just what I was looking to find out.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Golbez posted:

Oh sorry, I misunderstood.

The last time we sat with strangers, they did the "squirt sake in your mouth" thing, and a guy managed to get to a count of like 50 before the chef stopped. That's my cool teppanyaki story.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm currently dealing with a sore throat, my dumb question is: How come when I tug at the skin at my throat it doesn't hurt as much to swallow as when I don't do that?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Leal posted:

I'm currently dealing with a sore throat, my dumb question is: How come when I tug at the skin at my throat it doesn't hurt as much to swallow as when I don't do that?

I'm sitting here trying to replicate your experiment and I think that when I pull on my throat skin there seems to be a significantly lower amount of rubbing of whatever surfaces in my throat. Sore throat is caused by your immune system destroying infected epithelial cells in your throat, which is kind of like having your throat scraped raw. When you swallow you're moving all those raw parts against each other which hurts, so if you can prevent some of the rubbing you might feel less pain.

This is mostly speculation.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

Thanatosian posted:

I thought you were joking, but then I looked it up and learned Amazon offers goat rentals (not in my area though).

Very Strange Things posted:

LLSix posted:

Putting down a tarp seems pretty reasonable as long as he remembers to take it up before the city mows.

I'll try this if/when the weeds grow back. The mowers only take care of the weeds if they get too long, so they probably won't mind the tarp or cardboard if it means they don't have to do anything.

Fine, I won't buy a goat.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Jake Snake posted:

Fine, I won't buy a goat.

You should totally buy a goat.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Does anyone know which comedy album it is where Lewis Black says something to the effect of, "governments aren't large buildings that walk around doing poo poo."?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If it helps you narrow it, it isn't the white album or the end of the universe. I've listened to both of those enough that I could do a weak imitation of the entire recording.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are there other words and phrases to express the meaning of "a perfect storm"? It's become somewhat of a cliche but it's hard to find a substitute for it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DNova posted:

I'm sitting here trying to replicate your experiment and I think that when I pull on my throat skin there seems to be a significantly lower amount of rubbing of whatever surfaces in my throat. Sore throat is caused by your immune system destroying infected epithelial cells in your throat, which is kind of like having your throat scraped raw. When you swallow you're moving all those raw parts against each other which hurts, so if you can prevent some of the rubbing you might feel less pain.

This is mostly speculation.

Seems about right, everything rubbing up against each other. Certainly helps me in being able to eat without feeling like I'm in some jigsaw trap.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I was doing a crossword today and the answer for "drives crazy" is apparently "anyys". What the gently caress is this bullshit? Google has no idea either.

Edit: I guess this one (Chronicle of Higher Education - hah!) is just poo poo: the guy who composed for "Shaft" is apparently Isaac Hay, not Isaac Hayes. Who knew?

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 16, 2015

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

hooah posted:

I was doing a crossword today and the answer for "drives crazy" is apparently "anyys". What the gently caress is this bullshit? Google has no idea either.

Edit: I guess this one (Chronicle of Higher Education - hah!) is just poo poo: the guy who composed for "Shaft" is apparently Isaac Hay, not Isaac Hayes. Who knew?

I did this same one yesterday and was confused by it at first. The "y" in those answers means "yes" going across and "no" going down. If you read it that way, it makes sense. The theme was "Waffles, anyone?" meaning waffling between yes and no.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well. That's obtuse.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I get to drive a moving truck 12 hours from Chicago to Philadelphia on Monday, any long-haul tips for me? I've already downloaded a bunch of podcasts and I have my external battery ready to go. Any advice for my route too? (I-80 to I-76 in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

C-Euro posted:

I get to drive a moving truck 12 hours from Chicago to Philadelphia on Monday, any long-haul tips for me? I've already downloaded a bunch of podcasts and I have my external battery ready to go. Any advice for my route too? (I-80 to I-76 in)
If it's a U-Haul truck have customer service on speed dial because there's no chance in hell that shitheap is making it 600 miles without a breakdown.

Prayer also helps.

Edit: No matter who's truck it is thoroughly inspect it before you take it off the lot.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 16, 2015