Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Data Graham posted:

That drat radiation! :argh:

Nazi radiation. :godwinning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You can Nazi it, yet it will still kill you in high concentration.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

But... "The two pentazole ions (N5+ and N5–) that constitute dipentazole (N10) are flat and connected perpendicularly to one another."

Theoretical scientists, eh.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When has molecular strain ever stopped chemists before?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Carbon dioxide posted:

That's what threw me a few posts up when I thought the only nice configuration was a sheet. Turns out the only nice configuration is a sheet.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Carbon dioxide posted:

When it killed them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rigged Death Trap posted:

When it killed them.

There's always more chemists.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hexyflexy posted:

That's what threw me a few posts up when I thought the only nice configuration was a sheet. Turns out the only nice configuration is a sheet.

So basically the chemistry inverse of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxKJKWf32js

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

There's always more grad students

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Isn't the longest compound name a muscle protein?

It's also the biggest protein ever (~1 micron ) with the most number of exons and the biggest exon among them. The IUPAC name is like 200k letters long and took some Russian guy like 3 and a half hours to say it out loud this one time.

Titin is pretty cool and there's some cool work coming out about its function in nonmuscle cells as part of the chromatin condensation machinery during cell division. [/cell bio nerd out]

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Skinny King Pimp posted:

the biggest exon among them.

I hope someone calls it the Exon Valdez.

And I hope someone else smacks him because it's so played out

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

rndmnmbr posted:

Klapötke is quite possibly incapable of creating compounds that don't spontaneously detonate.

I have to grin whenever I see that name. It is strangely appropriate for a mad scientist.
It doesn't actually mean anything in German, it just sounds like it belongs to somebody with thick glasses, unkempt hair and a slightly badly singed lab coat.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I like to think the first two syllables of his name are an onomatopoeia for a big explosion.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Feh, piddling little Co-60 source.

Read about a completely unshielded 10-megawatt research reactor in a forest near Atlanta:

http://www.examiner.com/article/a-naked-nuclear-reactor-georgia-part-i
That article is a bit light on info, I wrote about it previously so here's my post

GWBBQ posted:

How about a facility that, unlike Chernobyl, intentionally irradiated the hell out of its surroundings to simulate nuclear war? A good radiation exposure story tends to be a reliable way to unnerve people, so it fits in perfectly for this thread. I've been collecting sources with the intention of writing a full article on Wikipedia, so I'll share it here.

The Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory was a cold war era facility that

quote:

was the site of Lockheed's lab for investigating the feasibility of nuclear aircraft. The site was used for irradiating military equipment, as well as the forest to determine the effect of nuclear war, and its effects on wildlife. The area was closed in 1971 and acquired by the city of Atlanta for a second airport, but its topography was determined to be ill-suited for an airport. Documents explaining what went on at the site remain highly classified, and the entrance to the underground portion of the facility has been buried. The only objects left above ground were the concrete foundations on which the buildings and reactors were placed.
There are a few inaccuracies there, but I'll get to those in a moment.

The heart of the GNAL was a 10MW unshielded reactor that was normally stored submerged in a cooling pond, but was hoisted up into the air to irradiate materials during experiments. Before construction, the intent had been to irradiate aircraft systems to see how well they held up to radiation with the end-goal of developing a nuclear-powered bomber that could remain in flight for weeks to months at a time. By the time the facility was finished, this had been all but dismissed as ridiculously impractical and the facility took on a new purpose: to study the effects of radiation levels that would be present in the aftermath of nuclear war.

A typical test would consist of several steps: The material to be irradiated would be brought into the reactor building on rail cars. Next, everyone on site inside of the "lethal fence," the area in which humans could receive fatal doses of radiation (look for the circle in the woods on this map) would get into the underground safety bunkers (more on these later.) Once the site was clear, the reactor would be brought up to its operating power of 10 megawatts and hoisted out of the pit into the air for the duration of the test, then lowered back into the pit. Once the all-clear was sounded, the rail cars would be moved to an outdoor cool-down area (one of the fenced-off areas still off-limits to this day because of contamination) where they would sit for days or weeks until they were safe to bring into the hot cell (more on this later) and be manipulated, repaired, etc. by robotic tools because they were still too radioactive for people to get near them.

Sometimes, early on, they tested aircraft parts. Other times, they tested various materials, including pine wood that was dubbed "Lockwood" (Lockheed was running the site) which became quite hard and durable, and was used in various applications including flooring at the IAEA headquarters. There were also "biological materials" tested, which is a nice way of saying they exposed live animals and the surrounding forest. Doses of radiation were measured in rads; Wikipedia sources say that a whole body dose of 400 rads will kill the average person, and off the top of my head I think 1000 will kill most animals. Several ten hour tests were conducted, with rodents and birds exposed to a mean whole-body dose of 6000-8000 rads and a peak measured dose of nearly 30,000. Nearby trees lost all of their foliage within a week of the first test.

Then came the big one, a test to simulate the aftermath of a nuclear attack. The reactor was raised and left in the elevated position for a full three weeks. Trees 1000 feet from the reactor absorbed as much as 100,000 rads. Levels at the lethal fence perimeter 3000 feet away were between 500 and 1000 rads, enough to kill a person.

The site was shut down in spring of 1971 and cleanup took just over a year. Most buildings were razed and only the concrete pads left behind, but there are a few still standing. The hot cell and several surrounding structures are still dangerously radioactive due to high levels of cobalt-60 and cesium-137 and won't be safe for demolition for another 30-50 years. The pump house building that supplied cooling water for the reactor is still standing, just a small concrete shack. Some explorers with a very poor sense of self-preservation have cut the double fence and entered the Hot Cell building with a Geiger counter confirming the official story that it's not safe to be there. Trees inside the hot cell area still show signs of radiation damage and mutations. The underground bunkers were gutted but left intact and the entrances buried. Every few years, the exploration bug bites someone and they dig it out. The lower levels are flooded, but there's apparently plenty to see.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

I like to think the first two syllables of his name are an onomatopoeia for a big explosion.

Also remarkably similar to Kaput, which means about the same as it does in English.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For some reason

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Both of which are stolen from the french capot. :eng101:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Both of which are stolen from the french capot. :eng101:

The French have all the good words for giving up.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Ultimate Mango posted:

The French have all the good words for giving up.

They'll happily surrender all of them if you really want them.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Zopotantor posted:

I have to grin whenever I see that name. It is strangely appropriate for a mad scientist.
It doesn't actually mean anything in German, it just sounds like it belongs to somebody with thick glasses, unkempt hair and a slightly badly singed lab coat.

"What happened to that chemical sample you were working on?"
"It went Klapötke!"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zopotantor posted:

What's the name of that channel of chemistry videos on youtube? Older guy, looks like the stereotypical mad scientist.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What's the name of that channel of chemistry videos on youtube? Older guy, looks like the stereotypical mad scientist.

The one who's a professor at the University of Nottingham?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg2WzCzKpYU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Periodic Videos. The big hair guy is Sir Martyn Poliakoff.

e:f;b

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
You know, I would be quite happy and interested in watching any of the hexanitro or other nitrogen hell compounds be made and tested. -Via webcam on the other side of the world.

Free the nitrogen! It just wants to be free! (Violently and distressingly all over the place)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kinetica posted:

You know, I would be quite happy and interested in watching any of the hexanitro or other nitrogen hell compounds be made and tested. -Via webcam on Mars.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I was actually recently at a conference where someone was working with the hexanitro compound. Although it's not in my specific field I tried to go out of morbid curiosity. The presenter never showed up for his talk :ohdear:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Hard to open the conference room door when you're missing your arms.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hard to open the conference room door when you're missing your arms.

Any excuse to link Derek Lowe on hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane:

I'd call for all the chemists who've ever worked with a hexanitro compound to raise their hands, but that might be assuming too much about the limb-to-chemist ratio.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Someone at my local makerspace thinks we should have a rocket engine competition.

quote:

Rules would be as follows:
1. The device must fit through a 4" hole cut into a piece of plywood.
2. It may produce thrust by any conceivable means but it may not use
nuclear or fluorine based fuels because of safety risks.

Judging categories:
1. Max thrust.
2. Thrust/weight ratio.
3. fuel efficiency based on mass of propellant consumed.
4. Endurance at some specified thrust impulse.

I replied with a link to Ignition! and a quick list of things legal under his rules:
  • Dimethylmercury
  • Triethylborane
  • Hydrazine
  • Nitrogen Tetraoxide/Nitric Acid

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

It's not like you can make most that stuff in your bath tub though, without causing a really hot fire or suffering a horribly painful, prolonged death by various chemicals.

But if you've got the set up somewhere....:getin:.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
If you do, please let us know so we can take an out of state vacation.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Someone at my local makerspace thinks we should have a rocket engine competition.

I replied with a link to Ignition! and a quick list of things legal under his rules:
  • Dimethylmercury
  • Triethylborane
  • Hydrazine
  • Nitrogen Tetraoxide/Nitric Acid

If you manage to power a rocket with Dimethylmercury, I'll be genuinely impressed.

And obviously terrified.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

If you manage to power a rocket with Dimethylmercury, I'll be genuinely impressed.

And obviously terrified.

Discussed in this thread (?), the Army tried to.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Are there restrictions on running an extension cord to the rocket? If not, build an ion engine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Are there restrictions on running an extension cord to the rocket? If not, build an ion engine.

It'll be the first launch vehicle to get heavier with altitude!

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Geirskogul posted:

The Navy I think. From what I remember of that part of Ignition!, they were interested because while its specific impulse might be crap, the equivalent volumetric efficiency (e.g. thrust per cubic inch of unburned propellants consumed) would be off the charts. The thinking being that size is more of a constraint than weight when putting missiles on a ship.

Did I mention we're adjacent to two (2) day care centers? :unsmigghh:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

And obviously terrified.

Geirskogul posted:

Not quite; the original request was for dimethylmercury, but they ended up doing it with elemental mercury instead.

ToxicFrog has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Jun 16, 2015

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

ToxicFrog posted:

Not quite; the original request was for dimethylmercury, but they ended up doing it with elemental mercury instead.

Oh, well, ok, that makes it so much better.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TheHomerTax posted:

Oh, well, ok, that makes it so much better.

It does. It really really does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'd much rather have an elemental mercury rocket than a methylated mercury rocket.

I mean no loving mercury at all would be best but where's the excitement in that?