Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Nooner posted:

i like to drink micheladas i canty wait to get home from work and mix up a big ol pitcher and drink it while whatching baseball!

lern 2 spel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
WHY DO YOU ALWAYS TROLL ME LIBELOUS SLANDER STOP TROLLING ME EVERYWHERE I POST

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Nooner posted:

WHY DO YOU ALWAYS TROLL ME LIBELOUS SLANDER STOP TROLLING ME EVERYWHERE I POST

I have no idea what you are talking about, are you sure you don't have me confused for another poster?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Libelous Slander posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about, are you sure you don't have me confused for another poster?

Don't worry about it, Nooner has been shitposting in just about every GWS thread for some reason. Ignore and carry on :)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

angor posted:

Don't worry about it, Nooner has been shitposting in just about every GWS thread for some reason. Ignore and carry on :)

I've never threadshat in my life. I defy you to find 1 shitpost that I have made otherwise :byewhore:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Spent a few days in Santa Barbara with my mom so of course we hit up an antique store (and the good lion cocktail bar - highly recommended) Finally found some cool bar ware. Silver plated sea shell julep strainers. Did some research on the tiny engraving on the back (H. B. & Haydens A1 - Holmes, Booth, & Haydens) and found the "Roman" pattern dates back to 1864. No idea if these are that old. Found an exact copy, minus the hole in the handle that mine have, that was from that time period. So cool. The lady sold hers for $160 a pop on etsy and I got mine $23 for two.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Not sure if this has already been asked before, but whenever I dry shake egg white in my Boston shaker, it always seems to leak slightly. I don't have the issue without egg white. Is this a common thing and is there a way around it? Or is it just me being inept?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Guys, I have gin, I have both vermouths, I got maraschino liquor, I got rum and vodka. I am trying to think of a "gently caress my job" cocktail (I already drink aviations all the time). Any suggestions (Don't have a chance to hit a liquor store before they close though)

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Bubz posted:

Not sure if this has already been asked before, but whenever I dry shake egg white in my Boston shaker, it always seems to leak slightly. I don't have the issue without egg white. Is this a common thing and is there a way around it? Or is it just me being inept?

This happens to me in my Boston shaker when I'm dry shaking a Ramos, so I'm also curious.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
The reason Boston shakers form a seal when you shake is that as the air inside cools, the pressure decreases. As your ice melts, the volume of the contents decrease, increasing the volume of air making it less dense, also decreasing the pressure. That creates the vacuum that creates the seal.

When you dry shake, you don't have that effect. When you dry shake egg white, you increase the volume of the contents significantly, decreasing the volume of air, increasing the pressure of the air so that there is some force pushing outward, so you'll tend to leak. Using two different sized shaker tins instead of a tin and a glass can help somewhat, since the lip of the tin is thinner, it forms a slightly better seal without the vacuum effect. Also align your two tins or tin and glass straight with each other instead of the slight angle you do with a regular shake. You won't completely avoid leaking because of physics, but doing that will make it a bit less messy.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Egg whites shouldn't be increasing in volume in a strict sense as you shake them, just incorporating the air that's already contained inside the shaker. That should have no effect on the pressure. Of course, that still leaves the absence of phase-change driven pressure differential from ice to bite you.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Ralith posted:

Egg whites shouldn't be increasing in volume in a strict sense as you shake them, just incorporating the air that's already contained inside the shaker. That should have no effect on the pressure. Of course, that still leaves the absence of phase-change driven pressure differential from ice to bite you.

Metal conducts the heat of your hands pretty quickly and air expands pretty dramatically when warmed.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Dry shaking is dumb.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I find it's super useful when done after the chilling/dilution shake a.k.a the "reverse" dry shake.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That makes a lot more sense than the classic dry shake.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Kenning posted:

That makes a lot more sense than the classic dry shake.

Are you able to elaborate? Why is it dumb and why does it make more sense in reverse order?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Bubz posted:

Are you able to elaborate? Why is it dumb and why does it make more sense in reverse order?
The thread just went over this. It's dumb because getting a good seal in a conventional shaker requires having cold ingredients. It makes more sense in reverse order because your ingredients are cold that way.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Ralith posted:

The thread just went over this. It's dumb because getting a good seal in a conventional shaker requires having cold ingredients. It makes more sense in reverse order because your ingredients are cold that way.

Well no - if I understand correctly, the seal is created because the ice melts resulting in lower volume in the shaker, and the ice lowers the temperature of the ingredients that are already in the shaker. If you do it in reverse order (shake with ice, then shake without ice), when you take the ice out of your cooled drink, it would no longer be there to melt and reduce volume or to further cool the ingredients, so wouldn't you have the same problem then? If anything, the cold ingredients are more like to heat up due to the temperature of my hands holding the shaker, resulting in a warmer drink to boot.

Bubz fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 16, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Shaking the ingredients after you've already combined/chilled/diluted them with ice allows the fluffable things to fluff without the bubbles being destroyed by ice. Also the seal will still be good, because once you dump the ice and reseal the shaker you have room temperature air and very cold liquid. Doing a brief shake will still form a seal, as the liquid chills the air somewhat (and in turn, warms up a bit itself). You'll be able to generate a few extra bubbles at the expense of a degree or two of chill.

None of which is to say that I personally would do that procedure – I'm a shake once kind of guy. But it's much less objectionable to me than trying to form a boozy room temperature meringue and splashing yourself with cocktail, only to break down all your hard work by tossing ice onto it.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Fair enough. I tried the straight angle on the mixing glass tonight while making a rye maple fizz and it made a huge difference. On a related note, has anyone ever tried using a milk frother to make foam?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Bubz posted:

Fair enough. I tried the straight angle on the mixing glass tonight while making a rye maple fizz and it made a huge difference. On a related note, has anyone ever tried using a milk frother to make foam?

Yeah, works great with egg and cream. One stop Ramos. Learned that one from Ueno-San last year, made fancy drinks in informal settings vastly easier.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That is such a good idea I can't believe I'm only hearing about it now.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Kenning posted:

But it's much less objectionable to me than trying to form a boozy room temperature meringue and splashing yourself with cocktail, only to break down all your hard work by tossing ice onto it.

I don't think the idea of the dry shake is to work in bubbles (i.e., "make a meringue") that will hopefully rice the ice shake. The dry shake is supposed to denature the egg proteins so the white mixes smoothly with the rest of the liquids. The result is a more viscous liquid that, when shaken with ice, integrates more air.

OTOH, if what you do works, go for it. I'd expect failure to look like chunks of unmixed egg white in your drink, and if you were getting that, you wouldn't be suggesting a one-shake technique. It probably All Works Out if you just shake like hell.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
That makes a lot of sense. I just made a rye maple fizz inspired by this thread (used seriouseats' recipe, it was too lemony and weird) which called for an initial no-ice shake, and the egg came out quite nice and smooth, while my previous egg white drinks have always been offputtingly clumpy.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Most people just don't shake hard enough.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

In the fridge:

Mason jar #1 - one cup each Pusser's and Chalfonte VSOP, half cup Murhpy's stout, juice of two oranges, 3/4 ounce Luxardo maraschino.

Mason jar #2 - six ounces demerera muddled with the skin of a juice orange for a half hour and 1 3/4 pints of boiling water.

Just waiting for a few people to show up for grilling and Bollywood before the jars hit the bowl with an ice block.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm seeing you guys talk about making big amounts of punch and storing them to drink with lots of people, and it's giving me ideas. Every new year's eve me and my friends organize a new year's party for around 1k people with an open cocktail bar, and the one thing that makes me sad about them is that the lines to get the drinks are too long and no matter which bartenders we get, the cocktails are just bad since they're hastily done one by one, but for a shitload of people.

I was thinking about going with this approach, make and store as much tiki punch in advance , which would let us make them more carefully, speed up the lines and increase the taste by a huge margin. I would not serve them on punch bowls though — leaving them exposed on a party of this size would probably have sanitary/wasteful/logistic issues, and I would like to serve them with some nice tiki decorations for a better experience.

A few questions, though:

- How long will the punch keep without losing flavor if properly refrigerated?
- Which recipes would be easier to make with the least amount of ingredients?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking to get a dedicated tiki drink book. Some initial research has turned me on to the Beachbum Berry books, but I'm having trouble deciding if I should get "Remixed" or "Potions of the Caribbean". Anyone have thoughts on which would make a better first book? From what I gather, Remixed has more recipes, while Potions is newer and has more background info on each recipe. I don't care too much about quantity of recipes as long as all the classic and well known drinks are there. I haven't had much luck finding info about what's included in each book, so I'm not sure if Potions has all the classics, or is just new recipes that weren't included in Remixed. Any insight is appreciated!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Happy Negroni week! So excited to be heading down to The Good Lion in Santa Barbara tomorrow to present our take on the Negroni for a friendly competition (whose grand prize happens to be airfare and 3 nights in New Orleans for Tales).

When I make em at home, I like Tanqueray or Junipero, Dolin sweet, and a dash of Scrappy's cardamom bitters and a couple of Regan's Orange No. 6.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There's not a soda thread here, so I figure this is the best choice for sodas commonly used as mixer.

How does Reed's Ginger Brew compare for ginger beers? They have them at costco for something like 2/3 of the cost of Goslings/Cock and Bull/Barritt's (Haven't seen Bundaberg).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh poo poo I need to get some Campari and Italian vermouth.

Splinter posted:

I'm looking to get a dedicated tiki drink book. Some initial research has turned me on to the Beachbum Berry books, but I'm having trouble deciding if I should get "Remixed" or "Potions of the Caribbean". Anyone have thoughts on which would make a better first book? From what I gather, Remixed has more recipes, while Potions is newer and has more background info on each recipe. I don't care too much about quantity of recipes as long as all the classic and well known drinks are there. I haven't had much luck finding info about what's included in each book, so I'm not sure if Potions has all the classics, or is just new recipes that weren't included in Remixed. Any insight is appreciated!

Get Remixed, and just be prepared to ignore or heavily modify around 2/3 of the recipes. There are some in that book that are pure nectar as written, and some that are utter garbage.It's pretty intuitive usually, just realize that his taste skews sweet. I usually argue that contemporary cocktail people are too reluctant to add sugar, but Beach Bum Berry's stuff can be absolutely tooth-cracking.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There's not a soda thread here, so I figure this is the best choice for sodas commonly used as mixer.

How does Reed's Ginger Brew compare for ginger beers? They have them at costco for something like 2/3 of the cost of Goslings/Cock and Bull/Barritt's (Haven't seen Bundaberg).

Goslings is pretty bad, cock n bull is a bit too sweet but good, haven't heard of barritts. Bundaberg has been one of my faves. Reeds is pretty spicy but delicious. I usually go for bundaberg, but I also like Q or fever tree. Maine Root is also great, not quite as spicy as Reeds but spicier than any other I've named here.

I'm pretty excited for dark n stormy season. I still have yet to try making my own ginger beer, but ginger syrup is easy and incredible. I chop a hand of (edit: peeled, using the back of a spoon is pretty easy) ginger, blend it, strain it, gets me about 12 oz of ginger juice, then I make 5 cups of simple or so, substituting the 12 oz of ginger juice for the same amount of water - to be more specific I mix in the ginger juice after I've already made the syrup, I don't "cook" the ginger in with it. Easy to adjust for your taste.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 4, 2015

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Kenning posted:

Get Remixed, and just be prepared to ignore or heavily modify around 2/3 of the recipes. There are some in that book that are pure nectar as written, and some that are utter garbage.It's pretty intuitive usually, just realize that his taste skews sweet. I usually argue that contemporary cocktail people are too reluctant to add sugar, but Beach Bum Berry's stuff can be absolutely tooth-cracking.

Are there any other decent Tiki recipe books?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I also like Maine Root and Reed's, although I found Maine Root to be the spicier one. I also got some Hansen's ginger ale from Trader Joe's and found it was gingery enough to make Dark & Stormy's with.

poo poo, the season is on and I'm almost out of Coruba.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll try Reeds when I'm out of this Barritt's then.

I'm almost out of Coruba too, I need to see if there's any place around here that stocks it. If not, maybe I'll special order a bottle. On the other hand, I have plenty of bourbon and rye, and some lime juice. I would feel bad about putting Rittenhouse in ginger beer, though. Even if it was only Turkey priced when I got it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Kenning posted:

I usually argue that contemporary cocktail people are too reluctant to add sugar, but Beach Bum Berry's stuff can be absolutely tooth-cracking.

That's unfortunate, and not really what I was expecting after all the rave reviews I read. Any tiki books by other authors worth looking at?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
So any of you guys drink stingers I like them, they are hella good I like to make em with wild turkey 101 cause poo poo gets you faaaded

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Splinter posted:

That's unfortunate, and not really what I was expecting after all the rave reviews I read. Any tiki books by other authors worth looking at?

I'm far from an expert, but I've enjoyed Beachbum Berry's iOS app, which contains a lot of recipes from his books (as well as recipes not by him), and is only $10. You can put the ingredients you have on hand into the app and it tells you what you can make. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/total-tiki/id835148977

Kenning is right, though - they can get real sugary sometimes.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

cbirdsong posted:

I'm far from an expert, but I've enjoyed Beachbum Berry's iOS app, which contains a lot of recipes from his books (as well as recipes not by him), and is only $10. You can put the ingredients you have on hand into the app and it tells you what you can make. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/total-tiki/id835148977

Kenning is right, though - they can get real sugary sometimes.

Android life :cry:

If you don't mind, what's his Scorpion recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

The Maestro posted:

Goslings is pretty bad, cock n bull is a bit too sweet but good, haven't heard of barritts. Bundaberg has been one of my faves. Reeds is pretty spicy but delicious. I usually go for bundaberg, but I also like Q or fever tree. Maine Root is also great, not quite as spicy as Reeds but spicier than any other I've named here.

Which variety of reeds do you get? The last time I tried it, I would hardly describe it as spicy--I remember it being sweet with an extremely noticeable lime flavor, which is fine but not what I really look for drinking ginger beer.

The Maestro posted:

I'm pretty excited for dark n stormy season. I still have yet to try making my own ginger beer, but ginger syrup is easy and incredible. I chop a hand of (edit: peeled, using the back of a spoon is pretty easy) ginger, blend it, strain it, gets me about 12 oz of ginger juice, then I make 5 cups of simple or so, substituting the 12 oz of ginger juice for the same amount of water - to be more specific I mix in the ginger juice after I've already made the syrup, I don't "cook" the ginger in with it. Easy to adjust for your taste.
I need to figure out a better, more consistent way to extract ginger juice, but what I've tried is:
1. Peel/chop ginger. I can't be assed to grate that much ginger, but lots of instructions say to grate it
2. Pulse in blender, then add water to almost cover the chopped bits after you scrape down the sides
3. Blend the hell out of what's in the blender
4. Squeeze out all of the liquid using a cheesecloth to wrap the mush

I add ~50ml of liquid to 12 oz can of canada dry or choice of canned ginger ale. Sometimes I just add it to seltzer water and drink it unsweetened. It turns out well enough, but it doesn't really come out that much cheaper than just buying bottles if you buy the ginger from kroger.