Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

Spatule posted:

Yeah, already posted this some time ago, but it bears repeating: this whole "brick in the stomach" bullshit is litterally destroying the country.

edit for people outside Belgium: people here feel that owning a house is an absolute must to show you're not a lowly member of the pleb, and due to lovely tax system, buying / selling for moving is insanely expensive. Doesn't help that everyone gets a company car since it's much lower tax than an actual salary.
People will never ever move, "it's MY house", which was fine when it was easy to get a job close to where you lived, but now you might have to get that job at the other side of the country.
So people commute from all over and it creates the most congested country in the whole loving developed world, according to both Europe itself (Tomtom) and the US (don't remember which American institute, whatever. looks like INRIX).
Since people pretty much never move, they make their house "personal". Meaning loving ugly as sin. Fake traditional stone or McMansion in the South, ridiculous statues and pyramids or Spanish Haciencas in the North.

this sounds like a wet dream for a tradesman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Also at least rogers has a design philosophy, and maximizing space by putting services outside the building does have a logic to it. I've never been inside the Lloyds building or Pompidou though so I can't say how well it works.

It works really well. My dad works at Lloyd's, so I've had a brief tour. With the exception of the open core (which houses a bell that historically rang whenever a ship sank), the floors are completely configurable since there's no infrastructure in the way. If the needs of the business change, all you have to do is a simple remodel. They can even move the central escalators if needed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Paddyb posted:

The Pat Center looks like a sweet place to work, really.

it just looks like an office with a bunch of poo poo hanging from the ceiling

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

newreply.php posted:

sure it's easy to mock big government's projects, but let's not forgot the common man's real estate:

http://uglybelgianhouses.tumblr.com

i like belgian houses, you never know what wonders might await you in any given street

not like the generic prefab suburbs of some other countries

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phlegmish posted:

it just looks like an office with a bunch of poo poo hanging from the ceiling

No it's art don't you understand

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Most older offices have pneumatic tubes like that on the ceiling. They were used to send messages between departments before computer networks became widely used.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

newreply.php posted:

sure it's easy to mock big government's projects, but let's not forgot the common man's real estate:

I built this in The Sims 1 as a kid.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kakairo posted:

It works really well. My dad works at Lloyd's, so I've had a brief tour. With the exception of the open core (which houses a bell that historically rang whenever a ship sank), the floors are completely configurable since there's no infrastructure in the way. If the needs of the business change, all you have to do is a simple remodel. They can even move the central escalators if needed.

I have to say that I absolutely love the way this looks, but it also looks like it would be incredibly drafty and noisy for all the poor bastards near the central well.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It's not particularly ugly, but the story behind it is pretty notable:

Back when Wichita Falls was a promising oil boom hub, in 1919, a certain businessman announced plans to build a high-rise office building downtown. He collected investments based on the blueprints he provided and soon enough construction began.

The investors thought they were going to be building a 480-foot-tall office tower; but nobody looked close at the blueprints which were in inches, not feet. The builder skipped town with the money and the courts upheld the contracts.

What the great city of Wichita Falls ended up with was a four-story "high rise" with about 430 square feet of usable interior space. It has been dubbed "the World's Littlest Skyscraper" and still stands today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_littlest_skyscraper
http://www.citymetric.com/story-world-s-smallest-skyscraper

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Walked past this on my way to dinner.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Philthy posted:

It's not poorly constructed (quite the opposite, by the looks of it), but what possible point could it serve?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

It's not poorly constructed (quite the opposite, by the looks of it), but what possible point could it serve?

Standing at the end gives you the best angle to see into the neighbor's window.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Magnus Praeda posted:

Listen, sometimes you just want a good place to perch up with your rifle and shoot the local wildlife. Where else are you gonna get a better angle on those squirrels and raccoons than the comfort of your own home??

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FBS posted:

The investors thought they were going to be building a 480-foot-tall office tower; but nobody looked close at the blueprints which were in inches, not feet.

Maybe they could have just fixed the choreography.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Philthy posted:

Cheap widows walk?

Phanatic posted:

Maybe they could have just fixed the choreography.

:golfclap:

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Magnus Praeda posted:

The only use I can think of is going out for a smoke and not having to deal with skunks and other critters, and maybe a better view in the daytime.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Turfahurf posted:

The only use I can think of is going out for a smoke and not having to deal with skunks and other critters, and maybe a better view in the daytime.

Yeah, but even for that wouldn't a simple balcony be better than a staircase? A moderately athletic person could use it as a fire escape, but again a staircase to nowhere isn't the usual way that is done.

What could even be up there? If you look at the height of the second floor windows, that door has to lead into the attic, and with the pitch of the roof it's not going to be a comfortable room.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

all you fans of brutalism mingled with greenery should visit seattle's freeway park

used to be a great place to score smack but i hear it's been cleaned up quite a bit now

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mr. Sharps posted:

all you fans of brutalism mingled with greenery should visit seattle's freeway park

used to be a great place to score smack but i hear it's been cleaned up quite a bit now

I want that all over. Cityscape like a weirdly concrete-ey forest would be fantastic.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Accretionist posted:

I want that all over. Cityscape like a weirdly concrete-ey forest would be fantastic.

same

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Everyone queep quoting dis so I can round you up and ship you off to Antartica.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Mr. Sharps posted:

minecraft cometh to seattle

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Philthy posted:

RIP John Hejduk

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

Accretionist posted:

yeah its pretty dope looking tbh.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Mr. Sharps posted:

Reminds me of the philosophy behind the fictional city (Olympus?) in Appleseed.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Everyone queep quoting dis so I can round you up and ship you off to Antartica.

I've been to Antarctica. It's beautiful there :)

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Philthy posted:

Widowmaker widow's walk

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Philthy posted:

post the google maps location, i must know how this exists
e:maybe it's so the bad twin in the attic can go out for air

Poppyseed Poundcake fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 18, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mr. Sharps posted:

Jesus. This looks like a secret plan to exterminate the local skateboarder population.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Phanatic posted:

Jesus. This looks like a secret plan to exterminate the local skateboarder population.

At least they'll die happy. :unsmith:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

high-stakes parkour

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Phanatic posted:

architectural successes

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Kill it, kill it with fire.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/skopje-macedonia-neoclassical-theme-park

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

That mailbox shows commitment to a design.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Philthy posted:

"I love decks but I hate sharing them."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I spent a little over a year in Germany living in Magdeburg.

There were some... interesting buildings.

This one in particular I hated; it looks better in the photos than it does in real life because the photos don't capture the bonkers texture on the outside very well:

Although this is cool:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
restaurants in greater Boston Area are weird.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

restaurants in greater Boston Area are weird.

You missed the one with the cows.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Moridin920 posted:

I spent a little over a year in Germany living in Magdeburg.

There were some... interesting buildings.

You don't know how much I hope that was a blanket factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You don't know how much I hope that was a blanket factory.

Apparently it's an experimental factory, so blankets are a possibility.

http://www.architekturtourismus.com/fileadmin/pic/Architekturtourismus/architektouren/Broschuere/PDFs/md_experimentelle_fabrik.pdf

quote:

The experimental factory (EFM) is an
institute of research used by the university
and private firms. It is situated on the
south-eastern side of the campus of the
Otto-von-Guericke University. The EFM
was designed as a compact building unit
of three staggered buildings of different
heights.
In east/west direction, the building is
covered with a bright aluminium sheet
in the colours orange, pink and silver
grey. This design creates flowing outlines
and it cotters the parts of the building.
Inside the multi-functional building, the
foyer is the main orientation and reference
point. It has an open stairway which connects
the first two floors optically as well
as functionally. Intense colours were used
in this part of the building as well.
The use of materials like steel, aluminium
and glass emphasise the object character
of the building. It sets an accent through
its urban design, exposed location and
boldly announces the establishment of a
new site for the science