Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I saw a 19,000 game 43.X% player today. In a top tier heavy. Lost that game!

Game is hard :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agrajag posted:

I don't even know how someone finds the time to play over 40k games. I've been playing since 2011, I think, and I've only racked up 10k played.

Hey man, the job market in parts of this country is really rough!! What more can they do except poopsock a terrible game?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Just 30k games here but I can add my own story. I can safely say a lot of mine were played a few years ago between 11 pm and 6 am when my insomnia was at its worst. At least half my light tank battles during that time were also death races where the goal was to see how far I could get around the map before dying.

The thing that has me confused is how anyone have have stats below 47% without being a bot.

I'm always confused by the less than 47% winners with 20k+ battles. What kind of fun are they deriving from this game.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Something I've been noticing that might be explaining why my win rate is so low in the Churchill...

...everyone flocks to be near me. Behind me, in front of me, beside me. I can't get a clean shot in unless it's a KV-1S that bounces non-gold shots unless I can somehow flank him. It also explains why I tend to be among the last few players left alive. I think the expectation is I must be able to steamroll everything so they'll stay near me and not be as vulnerable? I try to hang with another heavy and be smart about where I am but I find most of my time trying to avoid getting fragged or screwing up other friendly tanks.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

JuffoWup posted:

I'm always confused by the less than 47% winners with 20k+ battles. What kind of fun are they deriving from this game.

They get to putz around and pretend they are Rommel

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

I'm not a competitive person, but I've always wondered what really drives people to stick with things they really aren't good at. I gave up on Call of Duty and fast paced shooters since my reflexes just aren't what they used to be and I get tired of getting stomped on after a handful of games.
Especially in something like WoT where winning has tangible benefits regarding credits and grinding through tanks.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
There's nothing wrong with doing something you're bad at it's the not wanting to improve/refusing to admit suckage that is annoying.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Haquer posted:

When I learned server average winrate was something like 48% I cried a little inside. I'm at 50.4% right now with 1300 battles and I constantly see people with the same amount of battles but 40% winrate :gonk:

1300 isn't really that many battles, but a bot-like winrate at that point is pretty grim.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Ensign Expendable posted:

1300 isn't really that many battles, but a bot-like winrate at that point is pretty grim.

You know what I've noticed lately, the lovely bots have finally crested their tier X targets. So now you have BatChats, IS-7s, etc. who are blood red with no idea how to play, as the actual humans have taken over.

Talk about grim.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

The Southern Dandy posted:

Talk about grim.

I hear the show is p.good.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I think I may disable XVM stats. I've only been using them for a few weeks, and I hadn't been paying too much attention until I had a game earlier today where pretty much my entire drat team was 42-48%. I thought, "uh oh." My team evaporated within a few minutes. It was pretty amazing actually.

Later I had a game where the opposite was true... the other team was nearly all red, and they absolutely slaughtered us. I had two kills, and the rest of my team had one.

I know some might argue that XVM should dictate how you play, but I dunno... seems a bit pointless. How does one use it to their advantage?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CitizenKain posted:

I'm not a competitive person, but I've always wondered what really drives people to stick with things they really aren't good at.

There are tons of 45%ers who believe they are of above-average skill. I present these two anecdotes as evidence.

Back when I platooned regularly, there was this guy in my group of tank-buddies who had a 47.5% winrate over 18k games. Since he had the most games by far, he would constantly dish out bad advice in and out of battle. I'm talking poo poo like "only fire AP rounds out of the Pz. 4 derp" and "just train a crew to 100% with gold and dismiss them when you're done with a tank cause skills don't matter". Whenever someone questioned him on it, he'd point to the fact that his average damage per battle was in the top 80% of all players ever so fuuuuck you. Yeah bro, it's trivially easy to pad damage per battle by only playing tier 8 premiums, it doesn't mean you have any idea how to succeed at the game.

Then there's this guy. A couple months ago he advertised his scrub clan at the beginning of battle and I joked about being interested like I always do. Now I get at least one platoon invite from him a day, and I've had a few conversations about why he wants me to join so bad. Apparently he thinks that having a few more players like me (I'm a 1250 WN8 shitter) will rocket his clan into the upper echelons of WGLNA. He also believes that he's not a drag on the clan's performance at all. In fact he carries his clanmates quite a lot, if he is to be believed.

Guys like this make up the bottom 75% of players and are the source of probably 90% of Wargaming's revenue :sigh:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

This pretty much sums up having binos on the T82. Even my losses are solid now, though dear god...I'm 2/8 tonight despite racking up kills, spotting, and damage. It's painful to see a 42% win rate after 80 games. The M8A1 is racing back up to 50% though, crew is leveling up and things are getting much better as it goes. Had a few 5 kill games in it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
the ipad game of this is much better than the PC game. if only the excess gold and tanks and tears toil sweat and embarassment of my account carried over.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bob A Feet posted:

the ipad game of this is much better than the PC game. if only the excess gold and tanks and tears toil sweat and embarassment of my account carried over.

Yeah I have it on Android and it's a blast. If my progress carried over I'd never pub a PC WoT match again.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

M.C. McMic posted:

I think I may disable XVM stats. I've only been using them for a few weeks, and I hadn't been paying too much attention until I had a game earlier today where pretty much my entire drat team was 42-48%. I thought, "uh oh." My team evaporated within a few minutes. It was pretty amazing actually.

Later I had a game where the opposite was true... the other team was nearly all red, and they absolutely slaughtered us. I had two kills, and the rest of my team had one.

I know some might argue that XVM should dictate how you play, but I dunno... seems a bit pointless. How does one use it to their advantage?

Find their good tanks, if you aren't in a position to deal with them, ask teammates to focus them down. Doesn't always work, but sometimes you'd be amazed what happens if you say "Their X is a great player, kill him and we'll win" and sometimes it happens. It also helps to plan on terrible an upcoming game is going when looking at their team. Good players platooned in SPGs? Expect coordinated fire if spotted, 3 terrible players in spgs? No worries, do whatever.

I would give up the stats portion of XVM in a heartbeat if I could. I'm not a super good player, but even I will get a shitload of shots sent my direction when spotted compared to better targets. Sometimes this will work and I'll tie up spgs for most of a game as they shoot a rock, but more often I miss out on potential good game because I'm hiding the entire game.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
From what I've heard, getting a mouse and keyboard to work on WoT: Blitz basically makes you god, with a gamepad coming in a close second.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

From what I've heard, getting a mouse and keyboard to work on WoT: Blitz basically makes you god, with a gamepad coming in a close second.

The touch controls are okay, but they definitely caused me to gently caress up and die a few times.

SARSfest
Oct 28, 2010

I like where this is going.

M.C. McMic posted:

It's good for target prioritization and giving you an early warning if you're going up against some deep purple super unicum who won't be fooled by entry level shenanigans.

It's also good for determining which of your team mates can reliably click on red tanks and which of your team mates are just mouthy pieces of ablative armor for you to use as hard cover after they explode.

edit: poo poo talking is probably the most important aspect of XVM

SARSfest fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 16, 2015

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

^To chip in, Chance to Win is a pretty broken metric for various reasons (mainly, people's lack of knowledge in stats) - I'd be curious for how it's formulated.

I don't know how you can have a KD or Damage Ratio below 1 and think you're ok.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 16, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Sounds like what its like for people running XIM on a console. The player with that just runs roughshod over everyone that doesn't come up behind them.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

guidoanselmi posted:

^To chip in, Chance to Win is a pretty broken metric for various reasons (mainly, people's lack of knowledge in stats) - I'd be curious for how it's formulated.

It's actually fairly accurate, people have pooled together thousands of games and the chances to win have held up fairly well outside of the extremes.

The thing is, though, that even if it's perfectly accurate it's just a probability. Even an 80% chance to win still has you losing one in five games. People despairing over 44% WRs and poo poo are really loving stupid, too, especially when 44% is higher than their WR.

My chance to win got disabled with some XVM update and I haven't bothered fixing it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Guys like this make up the bottom 75% of players and are the source of probably 90% of Wargaming's revenue :sigh:

Primelaw and Rossmum make up the other 10% I guess?

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Hellsau posted:

Primelaw and Rossmum make up the other 10% I guess?

I was in TS with a couple of goons WHOSE NAMES WILL GO UNMENTIONED that advised me to run gold and consumables on every arty game I played.

I mean drat. I'd go broke.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I have a 45% WR in my Cromwell B

I have no idea how the gently caress this happens seeing as though I had 55% for the Cromwell. Maybe because of games like this:

e: Of course the very next game

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 16, 2015

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

I was in TS with a couple of goons WHOSE NAMES WILL GO UNMENTIONED that advised me to run gold and consumables on every arty game I played.

I mean drat. I'd go broke.

Umm, I run food and 100% gold shells on all my arty. The extra splash radius helps more than people think. There is a curve where the closer to the edge of a splash, the less damage is dealt before armor. If you increase the radius, the higher your damage even if distance didn't change.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Edit: Uh, new premium Rhoomba-thing?!

http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.nl/2015/05/rheinmetall-skorpion-on-supertest.html

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Then there's this guy. A couple months ago he advertised his scrub clan at the beginning of battle and I joked about being interested like I always do. Now I get at least one platoon invite from him a day, and I've had a few conversations about why he wants me to join so bad. Apparently he thinks that having a few more players like me (I'm a 1250 WN8 shitter) will rocket his clan into the upper echelons of WGLNA. He also believes that he's not a drag on the clan's performance at all. In fact he carries his clanmates quite a lot, if he is to be believed.

You could, you know, put him on your block list so you don't have to be harassed by this dude every day.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah I have it on Android and it's a blast. If my progress carried over I'd never pub a PC WoT match again.

I started playing Blitz again over the past couple of days, and it's definitely a good mobile representation of WoT. Unfortunately though, the shitters are even worse than in WoT, with half the team routinely doing 0 damage and me doing double the rest of the team. At least this is in tier 2, maybe it gets better later on.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I originally started playing Blitz on my Nvidia Shield handheld, and it worked very well but when I picked it up again this past week I found they've broken the controls. Pure touch controls still work, but if I try to use the left stick for movement it works initially and then stops responding, so I'm stuck there until it decides to work again. The best part is that this disables the touch controls simultaneously, so even though I can see that the game clearly registers my input, it refuses to do anything. There's a thread about it on their forum, other users are having the same problem. Wargaming is really, really good at loving up their products.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 16, 2015

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

Umm, I run food and 100% gold shells on all my arty. The extra splash radius helps more than people think. There is a curve where the closer to the edge of a splash, the less damage is dealt before armor. If you increase the radius, the higher your damage even if distance didn't change.

Don't you "umm" me mister, I understand what you're saying. I just don't want to be broke. :negative:

I'll run it in toons, when we're in trouble, but that's it.

With a whip of hair and a bit of sass, you can turn every HE round into gold.

[e]: I've run it in clan wars all the time, and it's great. But for pubs? Only on occassion. I don't need gold and a Case of Coke to secure a victory.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 16, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Don't you "umm" me mister, I understand what you're saying. I just don't want to be broke. :negative:

I'll run it in toons, when we're in trouble, but that's it.

With a whip of hair and a bit of sass, you can turn every HE round into gold.

[e]: I've run it in clan wars all the time, and it's great. But for pubs? Only on occassion. I don't need gold and a Case of Coke to secure a victory.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

:swoon:

Premium roomba sounds so fun to have

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 16, 2015

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Okay Adam.

[edit]: I never run gold in my Lorraine 155 51, ever, or consumables. I totally run gold rounds in my 304.

I'll pop a gold round when the toon needs it in the M55, no consumables.

When I solo it's straight HE, no consumables.

With the amount of arty I play, I'd be broke if I ran that poo poo. Standard HE makes me credits. Hell I drop down to the Lorraine to make more credits than the M55 when I get Kharkov/Ensk in a row. Mock me for a badass, but that's how I roll.

If you want to hear my story of tier X gold-round shooting consumable-consuming, ask the caller of CLAWS. In short, if you want me to go full out, I can.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 16, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Magres posted:

:swoon:

Premium roomba sounds so fun to have

The 128mm with a 4.22 rd/min stock reload, compared to the E-75's 3.82, on a medium chassis with practically the same power-to-weight ratio as the stock Auful Panther (17 to 17.26). Terrain resistance is vastly different, though:

Stock Auful: 0.8/0.9/1.8 H/M/S to this thing's 1.151/1.438/2.877. That soft ground figure will be brutal on marshy maps.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 16, 2015

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

M.C. McMic posted:

use it to identify the one/two good players on the opposing team and then ram kill them

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
Sometimes, you just can't carry hard enough

:negative:

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Zanziabar posted:

The depths of my shame are limitless

srb
Jul 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 128mm with a 4.22 rd/min stock reload, compared to the E-75's 3.82, on a medium chassis with practically the same power-to-weight ratio as the stock Auful Panther (17 to 17.26). Terrain resistance is vastly different, though:

Stock Auful: 0.8/0.9/1.8 H/M/S to this thing's 1.151/1.438/2.877. That soft ground figure will be brutal on marshy maps.

Just what t8 heavies needed, more 128mm guns to face!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Eh, the Fatton have sort of been buffed with the HD version as judged by the games on the test server.

Ie it actually bounces poo poo.
Also I don't have to tell you which map this was on.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

yes plz

Roomba gun on a mobile platform sounds hilarious.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atomizer posted:

You could, you know, put him on your block list so you don't have to be harassed by this dude every day.

Nah, he's too amusing for that. I want to see how much longer he'll keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Zanziabar posted:

The E 25 must have been released while I was away from WoT. It seems stupidly overpowered. I've played a few dozen games since coming back and seen something like 3 or 4 top guns from E-25 pubbies, and some additional 4+ kill games.

Really I'm mostly just super pissed that I don't have one. :colbert: They look fun as hell. Nice game there.

edit: Here's me doing 2400+ damage with 5 kills in an ISU-122S before getting totally owned by an E 25 pubbie who gets a top gun. Stick around to see another pubbie cost us the match when he misses that same E-25 point-blank with his artillery. I mean, he seriously had to TRY and miss that shot. It's a pretty epic choke.

The replay is also hard for me to watch because I had some pretty terrible driving (I am not used to TDs yet) and misses. I also completely fail to take advantage of my rate of fire because I was being overly cautious in certain situations.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1882507?secret=d6bbd11d844cdc3da7fc74cd5787e201

(All I got was a Master Badge: 3rd Class. wtf?)

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 16, 2015