Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

qbert posted:

Gurmag Angler is played in Grixis Delver?

Didn't see that coming.

That fifth power is actually an enormous beating - it kills Tasigur and Siege Rhino straight up in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sometimes you just need a big creature, cheap

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
protection from karakas and being a 5/5 in a sea of 4 power guys, while not costing BB in a deck that's really just U/R/blackonlyforcabaltherapy gives it a slim advantage over tasigur.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If they would finally ban Goyf my Calciderms become playable again

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

LordSaturn posted:

the wizards he drew were truly grand.

It's ok friend, I laughed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Alris posted:

:vince:

I totally missed that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Alris posted:

:golfclap:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Angler is a very good card

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gyshall posted:

Angler is a very good card

It's good in my tribal angles deck

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I play Tombstalker instead of Angler in Modern Grixis Delver, but I also run more black than the standard build which is just there for Taisigur/Terminate/Murderous Cut.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah the BB vs B issue is the chief reason why Tombstalker is being beaten out by a limited common.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah the BB vs B issue is the chief reason why Tombstalker is being beaten out by a limited common.

Any appreciation for flying? I run a pair of Tombstalkers in a cheap monoblack control list I've been working on. Granted that's a much different deck than Delver but a 5/5 beats most every other flier I can think of in Modern, apart from combo'd out game-enders like Griselbrand or Emrakul.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

So I was a little surprised what these ended up going for on eBay:

Aces
Nov 6, 2009
You know what card you REALLY don't want to see after destroying all your creatures with Descent of the Dragons?

Crux of Fate.

Well played sir...

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Pussy Snorkel posted:

So I was a little surprised what these ended up going for on eBay:

You say they're real because you bend-tested them (and ripped up a Lotus Cobra) but someone could just run a legit card through a printer and get that same effect and the card underneath would still be legit.

Like I'm not doubting they're real, but that's not really any kind of proof, and this would be an easy thing to fake intentionally.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

You say they're real because you bend-tested them (and ripped up a Lotus Cobra) but someone could just run a legit card through a printer and get that same effect and the card underneath would still be legit.

Like I'm not doubting they're real, but that's not really any kind of proof, and this would be an easy thing to fake intentionally.

For what it's worth, I was the one who located the sheet they were cut from. In addition, I assure you that you can't just print on top of the card without it being glaringly obvious.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Alris posted:

Thank you. :shobon:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Pussy Snorkel posted:

For what it's worth, I was the one who located the sheet they were cut from. In addition, I assure you that you can't just print on top of the card without it being glaringly obvious.

I'd be curious to hear more about how you located those cards.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'd be curious to hear more about how you located those cards.

It was a full sheet that came onto the market. I heard about it and had a friend pick it up.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Well I hate money and signed up for MM15 sealed at the LGS. I suppose the 30 cent entry fee on top of the packs isn't a bad deal. Maybe I'll open like 3 Daybreak Coronets and try to force them with the zero good auras in the set.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Well I hate money and signed up for MM15 sealed at the LGS. I suppose the 30 cent entry fee on top of the packs isn't a bad deal. Maybe I'll open like 3 Daybreak Coronets and try to force them with the zero good auras in the set.

Open 2 Hurkyl's Recall and despair until you notice you have 5 Thief of Hope

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

You could always cast Narcolepsy on your own creatures and then use Vigean Graftmage to keep them untapped. Sick combos incoming.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I think the gods of Magic heard me debate whether or not to switch to Esper Dragons after rotation, because in my FNM winnings tonight I pulled, among other things:

-Dragonlord Ojutai (in addition to one I traded for earlier that night)
-FOIL Anticipate
-Haven of the Spirit Dragon
-Silumgar's Command
-Radiant Purge
-Self-Inflicted Wound
-Foul-Tongue Invocation

:supaburn:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

LordSaturn posted:

Oh yeah, that guy with the swirly fog effect - I think he did Enduring Renewal? A lot of artists don't understand how to give a character gravitas, their wizards come up looking like shamans and mages. What I'm saying is, the wizards he drew were truly grand.

I just want you to know that I appreciated this joke.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
3-1 tonight, junk "Aggro" again.

R1 - GR Bees 0-2 - G1 was close, had lethal on board at 2 health but a timely top deck took me out. I got stomped hard G2

R2 - monored 2-1 - g1 monored steam rolled me. G2 Sorin life gain won the game for me, G3 sideboard cards won the game.

R3 - UW Midrange 2-1. G1 I had all the kill spells. G2 mana issues and he went off with mentor. G3 self inflicted wound worked around his protection spells.

R4 - Esper Dragons 2-0 - Fleecemane Lion, Warden of the First Tree, and Deathdealer steam rolled him first game, self inflicted wound & thoughtseize crushed him G2.

Packs were wretched.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

bhsman posted:

I think the gods of Magic heard me debate whether or not to switch to Esper Dragons after rotation, because in my FNM winnings tonight I pulled, among other things:

Why would you decide now the deck you're going to play after two more sets have come out?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Why would you decide now the deck you're going to play after two more sets have come out?

The key is after rotation; honestly, Esper Dragons has just looked really fun to me and if not for the expensive cards like Ojutai; the fact that I was able to trade a lot of Commander cards to a friend for one and then pulled another is $70 I don't have to spend or $70 of tradestock I don't have to give up when not trading with a friend who is more than willing to make a friendlier deal for me. Plus, the deck doesn't really lose much once Theros is gone compared to RDW, though I have such a low investment in RDW that I could afford to keep both around.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I don't know man.

Main deck you lose
Thoughtseize, ashiok, bile blight, hero's downfall, dissolve, urborg, caves of koilos and the 8 temples.

That's over half the mana base and 1/3 of the control cards.

I for one can't wait for theros to gently caress off. Even as a green player I'm tired of courser and caryatid.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I can't wait for Theros to rotate, because I have no standard cards and I'm drat sure not buying in during the summer lull

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't know man.

Main deck you lose
Thoughtseize, ashiok, bile blight, hero's downfall, dissolve, urborg, caves of koilos and the 8 temples.

I for one can't wait for theros to gently caress off. Even as a green player I'm tired of courser and caryatid.

I for one welcome our new den and deathmist overlords. They even have the same mana costs as caryatid and courser

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ramos posted:

Long story short, it's not very similar to its legacy counterpart. It largely just uses the large number of efficient elves and mana production to power out more dudes and punch your face in.
Yeah the "combo" is basically to play Ezuri and overrun twice. I do like the deck though, and CoCo looks completely ridiculous when you have over 30 creatures.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't know man.

Main deck you lose

Agreed. There will probably be a Ojutai/Scorn/Dig deck post-rotation, but there's a very reasonable chance it's U/W or U/R/w instead of Esper.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Posting to let people know registration's still going for Modern (Not) Thunderdome, right now we've got 17 people signed up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3719092

Play your Junk, your Affinity, your Burn, your Jund, your Scapeshift, your Tezzerator...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So I'm moving in a few days, and because I'm a pathetic nerd I'm seeing if there are any LGSs near where we're looking at apartments. There's one that's fairly close, I'm on their website and they are either the biggest cheapskates ever or are bad at writing event descriptions. For example their weekly Modern tourney has a $10 buy-in, and they advertise their prize payout as $4 store credit per player to 1st place, $3 store credit per player to 2nd place, $1.50 store credit per player to 3rd and 4th place. And their MM2015 drafts (with a hard cap of 32 players) are $35 with a $6 store credit payout to the winner of each draft pod :stare: That seems like a huge rip-off, unless they sell boosters for $1 apiece or something. For comparison, last time I did an 8-man Modern event at my current LGS the winner got 4 packs and 2nd place got 2 packs. Am I just privileged? I can't read.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 16, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

So I'm moving in a few days, and because I'm a pathetic nerd I'm seeing if there are any LGSs near where we're looking at apartments. There's one that's fairly close, I'm on their website and they are either the biggest cheapskates ever or are bad at writing event descriptions. For example their weekly Modern tourney has a $10 buy-in, and they advertise their prize payout as $4 store credit per player to 1st place, $3 store credit per player to 2nd place, $1.50 store credit per player to 3rd and 4th place.

So every tournament turns $10 per player from cash into store credit? I mean, they're running the tournaments at a loss if you just look at the cashflow, and aiming to make it back via people spending store credit with them where they'd otherwise go elsewhere if it was cash. Are you really expecting things to be more generous than that?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Are you expecting me to play Magic for free??

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
An 8-man Modern tournament turns out $32 store credit for 1st place, $24 for 2nd, and $12 for 3rd and 4th if I'm reading that right. Which is the $80 they got in entry fees redistributed as prizes.

Not so sure what to make of the MM15 Draft bit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

So every tournament turns $10 per player from cash into store credit? I mean, they're running the tournaments at a loss if you just look at the cashflow, and aiming to make it back via people spending store credit with them where they'd otherwise go elsewhere if it was cash. Are you really expecting things to be more generous than that?

It still seems low unless my math is messed up. For an 8-person event that's one 1st place (3-0) finish, let's say three 2nd place (2-1) finishes, and three 3rd/4th place (1-2) finishes, so 4+(3*2)+(3*1.5)=$14.5 in store credit getting paid out vs $80 in entry fees. For a similar event at my LGS, assuming $4 in store credit per booster that's $24 in payouts (I don't remember how much our entry fees were, it's been a while)Oh I'm stupid, $4 PER PLAYER :downs: That makes way more sense, ignore me.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 16, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For what it's worth, the local LGS does something similar (cash entry fees turn into the same amount of store credit prizes), except they also pay out a "pity pack" to anyone who doesn't make top 4 (which cuts into how much credit gets paid out, obviously). They recently upped the "serious" tournament entry fee to $15/person, because it turns out winning $15 of store credit for getting third in a tournament you paid $10 to enter isn't particularly motivating ($30 from $15 is much better).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Shout out to Jasper de Jong getting featured on the MOCS and drafting the worst pile possible. I mean, he was saying yesterday that he's unfamiliar with the format, and he has at least 2 losses to give.

• Locked thread