Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
What AI difficult is everyone playing on? I started a Kart series and am lapping peoe and taking first place in every race with it set to 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I have it set to 50 as well since it's my first racer and I like lapping fools and whatnot.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I play with it on 80. I haven't tried it more difficult yet and the only races I've actually done are kart races. Once I know the track I win every time and lap a few backmarkers. I'm going to try turning it all the way tonight after I install my new video card this game made me buy (gtx 970)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So is online in PCars (PS4) a little janky? (or a lot?)

Tried to join about 10 games. 8 of which just hung at the "connecting" part.

When I did get in, one just sat in the lobby forever despite being full/ready. (and everyone had red ping.)

And when I finally got into a race, I encountered split-second (but quite noticeable) freeze-ups at certain parts of the track...

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte

Feenix posted:

So is online in PCars (PS4) a little janky? (or a lot?)

Tried to join about 10 games. 8 of which just hung at the "connecting" part.

When I did get in, one just sat in the lobby forever despite being full/ready. (and everyone had red ping.)

And when I finally got into a race, I encountered split-second (but quite noticeable) freeze-ups at certain parts of the track...

I've had the freeze ups a couple of times as well. Yesterday I joined a race, lobby got full, pretty much everybody voted to start the race and the counter didn't even move, after a while I just said gently caress it and quit.

What I've noticed is that if you have the option to "join the current session" while you're waiting in the lobby, it will take you to the track for practice, and even then it's not a sure thing: sometimes you can practice and sometimes it takes you to a 2nd waiting lobby where you're just listening to other people practice. I wish there was some kind of guide or explanation of what is going on while you're trying to join a race online. There's a lot of waiting involved that's for sure.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I hope SMS can alleviate some of the more egregious frame drops and texture issues.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

holocaust bloopers posted:

I hope SMS can alleviate some of the more egregious frame drops and texture issues.

What platform?
I notice a little tearing driving out the pitbox? onto the pitlane on ps4 but apart from that it runs nicely.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

haris pilton posted:

What platform?
I notice a little tearing driving out the pitbox? onto the pitlane on ps4 but apart from that it runs nicely.

No it doesn't.

It's a great game that needs a fair bit of TLC at this point.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

haris pilton posted:

What platform?

Ps4. I'm not overly sensitive to tech issues, but I've seen a fair bit of slow down and texture issues. The latter is noticeable on shadows.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Nostratic posted:

Is there a retard's guide to career mode? Because I'm tired of racing lawnmowers. I'm in season 2 and burned out on the kartzzzzzzzz and have no idea how to progress aside from grinding away at races.

And I'm supposed to see invites on the calendar automatically, right? I've gotten a ton of them and none have made an appearance yet even after I searched the calendar.
The Kart seasons are like eight race days each (three for the UK Championship, five for the overall championship) if you ignore the optional invitations. Turn down the length % and difficulty if you really want to cruise through them without hassle (you can also instantly simulate the rest of the race after a certain point if you choose the "Skip to End of Session" or something like that from the pause menu during the race).

Yes; invitationals will be jumped to automatically when they come before your next season-related race.

Also, I wish I had a lawnmower capable of 160 MPH, but, hey, Honda comes close.

Phuzun posted:

I started at the lowest level of karts. I've completed the first karts championship and selected my team for the 250cc karts, but all I've been getting is invitational races, not a single 250cc race.
The Superkarts season doesn't start till June so, yeah, there's potential for ~10 Invitational races before it happens if you don't skip them. I'd imagine invitationals are dependent in some capacity on how often you're winning assuming that whole realism thing carries over to the career dynamics.

Rad Valtar posted:

What AI difficult is everyone playing on? I started a Kart series and am lapping peoe and taking first place in every race with it set to 50.
I chose "Pro" for skill level when first starting the game and it preset to 80. I turned it down for awhile initially, but once I got a control scheme (controller) that felt good (no longer hard spinning out once a lap) I turned it back up to 80. 80 is way easy for Superkarts, but 50/50 just right vs. a tad too easy for many of the invitationals.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Do you guys play with restarts? I'm at 50 difficulty with all settings set to real.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Popete posted:

Do you guys play with restarts? I'm at 50 difficulty with all settings set to real.

yeah, it's too frustrating because it's a video game and not real and I lose focus sometimes and miss a corner because i wanted to pet my dog when it came over

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea, I'll restart a race usually in the first lap because the initial corners are just a goddamn mess of idiocy.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Or the AI will poo poo the bed and slam on the breaks right off the grid.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Someone discovered that the AI has zero awareness of tire wear when it's been accelerated. They'll routinely blow tires and drive on rims without actually pitting for a new set.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Someone discovered that the AI has zero awareness of tire wear when it's been accelerated. They'll routinely blow tires and drive on rims without actually pitting for a new set.

do AI change fuel load at all?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Can I take less fuel starting a race?

I see Pit Setup, but it will not allow me to drop the amount of fuel I start a race with anywhere I see.

In Formula Rookie, you use about 8% of the fuel it loads you in with.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ethanol posted:

do AI change fuel load at all?

Dunno. Either way endurance races are pretty much borked with tire wear accelerated. The second driver function isn't working well either.

SMS has some work left to do.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Can I take less fuel starting a race?

I see Pit Setup, but it will not allow me to drop the amount of fuel I start a race with anywhere I see.

In Formula Rookie, you use about 8% of the fuel it loads you in with.

you need to open up tuning setup and scroll to the engine setup

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Popete posted:

Yes; usually only use it on qualifying though, when I'm being an idiot and keep screwing up the last turn so it keeps invalidating current and next lap (they seriously need to remove this or add some conditions that it only does it if you skipped in a manner that'll help your next lap be faster by letting you pass the start/finish line faster than an ordinary line) and I never actually get a qualifying lap done.

I tried Real assists for a bit, but the McLaren F1 not having Traction or Stability control made me throw in the towel on that because the ~1cm range of accelerator motion on the controller makes the throttle way too touchy to pretty much even drive in practice (made worse by the tires taking half or more of the practice session to warm up in the invitationals I've been doing with 12 minutes for practice), let alone trying to race against other cars. I have the toggle assist keys bound so I adjust them based on car as feels necessary (the Caterham 7, for example, is fine without any enabled).

I'd rather have more difficult AI and not screw up spectacularly as often with assists helping than have AI that I can trounce as long as I can keep my car from spinning/crashing personally. :shrug:

Hopefully in the coming months it'll be in the cards to get a wheel and I can then leave the assists in the past since I won't have my "I'm on a controller" cop out anymore (and, hopefully, legit won't feel like I need them with an actual pedals/wheel that has a lot more range of motion).

Interesting. The most common/amusing AI failure I see is that they crash head on into a wall and either just sit there or keep trying to get off by flooring it (still in forward gears) and literally remain there for the remainder of the practice/qualifying/race unless another AI hits them.

Curiously, it once happened on pit road and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why there was a warning for a crash ahead every lap on the main straight during a practice session. It was only after returning to garage to change my car setup that I saw an AI was nose-planted into the wall separating the main straight and the pits (on the pits side).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish instead of restarts, PCARS had rewind like in Forza or Dirt 3. That's a better alternative.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Ether Frenzy posted:

Same boat. Some cars are driveable, some are utterly ridiculous. There's no rhyme or reason to it, unless it's that I'm just not hard core Sim HERO enough to drive a 300hp street car in a straight line (I own a V8 M3 in real life). I spent 2 hours last night dicking with control schemes and each car is a brand new challenge to keep from doing a U-turn left when you have the wheel turned completely to the right and are going 3-11 mph with your foot off the gas.

The menus and UI are also loving abysmal.

I'm sure glad they let you change all these incredibly detailed control options and then have to back out of a session just to change them and then go back into the game again. Also none of the control options actually say what they do.

All I know is just dont turn off the countersteer help, becasuse when you have it off you have to make sure your countersteer is just a tiny flick on the stick or you just send the car into a tank slapper.

Yeah I know buy a wheel blah blah, I have one its attached to my loving track car.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

track day bro! posted:

Yeah I know buy a wheel blah blah, I have one its attached to my loving track car.

:eyepop:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

I'll be at Brands hatch on the 17th next month and hopefully snetterton the next if nothing blows up, I dont have room foor a drat wheel setup unfortunately. I'm kinda glad this game has a decent amount of uk tracks because it lets me figure out the basic layouts of the ones I havent been to yet. :shobon:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is there a way to disable cold tires in free practice? It's a serious annoyance.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

there is a dirtbag way to spectate

all you have to do is find a way to dq yourself and you can watch the race monitor from the pits

you can watch a whole race if you dq yourself by jump starting

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Soon.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just ran my first race in the classic Lotus, with random weather.

It was like a hurricane, and there was a huge pileup BEFORE turn one and I broke the left front wheel completely off.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Nostratic posted:

Just ran my first race in the classic Lotus, with random weather.

It was like a hurricane, and there was a huge pileup BEFORE turn one and I broke the left front wheel completely off.

Did you, by chance, crash at 90+ MPH? Because I actually managed to break my front wheel off on the Monaco track via going 90+ headlong into a concrete barrier.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

widespread posted:

Did you, by chance, crash at 90+ MPH? Because I actually managed to break my front wheel off on the Monaco track via going 90+ headlong into a concrete barrier.

I did the same thing in a RUF at Road America, though to be fair I really wasn't paying attention.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

njsykora posted:

I did the same thing in a RUF at Road America, though to be fair I really wasn't paying attention.

And I was, in a E30. To be honest, it's kinda funny seeing your left front roll off after a hard crash. Because it's like "oh cock, wheel's gone".

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

widespread posted:

You know, I'm not sure. I was preoccupied with keeping the car facing the right direction under acceleration when the crash happened.

widespread posted:

And I was, in a E30. To be honest, it's kinda funny seeing your left front roll off after a hard crash. Because it's like "oh cock, wheel's gone".

The guy on the radio was pretty blasé about the whole thing. "You're going to have to bring it back in, it might give you some trouble along the way..."

:stonk:

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 16, 2015

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Nostratic posted:

You know, I'm not sure. I was preoccupied with keeping the car facing the right direction under acceleration when the crash happened.

It's sorta easy to keep it straight. Just don't go on the throttle hard.

Nostratic posted:

The guy on the radio was pretty blasé about the whole thing. "You're going to have to bring it back in, it might give you some trouble along the way..."

:stonk:
If by trouble he means "you're now limited to 20-30 MPH", he's right.

widespread fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 16, 2015

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Just picked this up on PS4 and I'm loving it.

I was kicking rear end in career mode with the 125cc karts; transferring to the superkarts has proved to be challenging, however.

This thing just loves to wobble and bounce and go all over the damned place. It's insane.

I'm a broke bastard, so no wheel for me any time soon. As much as I'd love one.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

Feenix posted:

No it doesn't.

It's a great game that needs a fair bit of TLC at this point.

Sucks for you but it runs fine on my setup (bumpercam) Not saying you're over exaggerating but I'm not seeing it

Ps4. I'm not overly sensitive to tech issues, but I've seen a fair bit of slow down and texture issues. The latter is noticeable on shadows.

I'm also not a sperg about frames p second and stuff but the things you describe would bother me as well. Hope your issues will be resolved.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

gonna just do a 100 lap race on Nordschliefe today in GT cars

with real weather

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

See you in 15 hours I guess.

I get bored of that track after two laps. It's obviously technically demanding and there's value in that but a lot of tracks are technically demanding and don't strand you 15 minutes from the pit if something goes wrong.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I love spa.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Spa owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

The dust2 of racetracks.