Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
There should be some sort of Ruler Legitimacy or something that kind of acts the same way Religious Authority does. Or at least a better means to abstract that sort of thing than opinion. Whenever I read about the causes behind things like the Roman Civil Wars or breakdowns of larger empires such as in China, one thing that crops up is the idea that vassals just stopped taking the head of state that seriously. Not in the sense that people hated their rulers personally, or formed factions and went up and demanded changes in law, more in the sense that people got more and more into their heads that the person they were taking orders from wasn't really that special after all, which resulted in more "hey why couldn't I be a king" style of thoughts. There's not much keeping track of a general sense of malaise or ill rule that might qualify an empire as shadow of its former glory. Even when an empire is on the ropes in CK2, it never really suffers much of a sense of being in decline until its so small that it can be shaken apart by its neighbors.

I have my own annoyance with Religious Authority in the same way, in that its awfully resilient. I might be still salty over my "persia vs europe" game but man I'd expect that after failing the first five crusades they'd maybe run into a lack of enthusiasm for a sixth one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
Does anyone remember where the mods were that made a ton of fantasy hordes, I remember a nazi horde. But there were others.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nazis aren't fantasy, they are deadly real.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Volkerball posted:

The last 4 or 5 games I've played, the Umayyad blew up into a billion pieces and was ripe for conquest. The Abassid isn't as bad, but it does break apart, and the Caliph will usually change families. The Muslim world isn't half as bad as the Byzantines at this point. Those fuckers never lose a thing.

:helladid: :agesilaus: GLORIOUS BYZANTIUM :agesilaus: :helladid:

In all seriousness, the amount of love Byzantium gets in the Paradox forums baffles me. Why this particular empire? Why this love for :rome:? There are multiple mods making the Byzantines even more powerful than they are, because for some reason people think an DLC devoted to them isn't enough. And then there's the Hellenic fans. "guys there's was a university which once maybe taught neoplatonism THEREFORE THE ENTIRE PROVINCE MUST BE HELLENIC AND FULL GAME MECHANICS BE ADDED TO THEM." That is an actual argument I've seen used.

gently caress the Byzantines.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

REviving the Hellenic religion would be cool as gently caress.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
They are both Greek and Roman, the two main classical European civilisations anyone gives a poo poo about. All the glory of Julius Caesar and Alexander rolled together with a more or less unbroken reign going straight from Ye Fuckin' Olde Times to the end of the Medieval period. And like the Byz emperors themselves, the players always dream of rebuilding the Roman Empire and showing everyone else what for.

I mean it is a pretty impressive state. If you go from the split, it lasted about a thousand years. If you go from the foundation of Rome, it gets closer to two thousand years, which is a hell of a lot of heritage and tradition and poo poo, which historical spergs love.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Reviving the Hellenic religion would be incredibly stupid.

Fixed it for you.

Ok, that was a bit much but I'm not seeing how you pull that off without things going really badly for the church. I mean, Julian the Apostate tried bringing back the Hellenic religion centuries before CK2 and before Christianity was really entrenched and he wasn't able to pull it off. His reign was also cut short by the Sassanids, IIRC, but still. It's quite a stretch for CK2.

Wait.

This is the game where Charlemagne can become Muslim because he was friends with some Muslim sheik in the the middle of the Arabian desert and where it's perfectly viable for Haesteinn to call up a billion vikings to take over Portugal from the Umayyads.

There goes my argument.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ancient-religions-reborn.829413/

Here's your Hellenic religion, Funky Valentine.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It seems like the Muslim megablobs are the worst, possibly because their CBs allow them to expand faster, but the ultrastability of megablobs has always been a problem (see also Byzantium, HRE). Even when the odd adventurer or so forth comes along they just take over the megablob; the ruling dynasty may change, but the megablob itself remains the same.

One issue that crops up a lot is one or two or three vassals in a 25-vassal megablob will up and revolt for independence or Seniority or whatever even though it's absolutely hopeless for them and they're fielding about 3500 dudes against 30,000. You'd think (you'd wish) they wouldn't be that retarded and instead would be a little more patient and discontented vassals would have more options for the kind of scheming and passive-aggressive insubordination that made historical megablobs very difficult to keep together for long. The Chancellor missions just don't cut it.

Another thing I'd like to see--perhaps this is more of a potential CK3 thing--is AI rulers being more proactive about joining wars they're not directly involved in but which one outcome or the other is clearly advantageous for them. Like if you read medieval/feudal history there's a lot of stuff like discontented French nobles going to the English king for support and so forth.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 16, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

How common is it for the pope to be excommunicated?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

How common is it for the pope to be excommunicated?

I imagine rare as it seems like it should be impossible?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

To clarify, he was excommunicated before he became pope

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I imagine rare as it seems like it should be impossible?

Lunatic trait though :getin:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

While I'm here what do I do when I win a crusade and suddenly have 41 new holdings

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The other Cardinals must have been really lovely.

"Rodulf the Viking, Abdul-Kareem the Sword of Allah, Karl Karling the Satanic, Guilleume the Cathar... Ah, here we are. Gilbertus the Wicked, you won the election by default. Unfortunately you can't lift your own excommunication...

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 16, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

or, you know, just :homebrew:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Shadeoses posted:

The other Cardinals must have been really lovely.

I don't know what this guy's deal is, he has claims on a bunch of different places including the HRE and was involved in four wars upon his becoming the pope.

E: his piety is actually the lower than all the current cardinals.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 16, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Excommunicated -30
Italian Culture +200

Excommunicated is surprisingly overcome easily with some decent traits.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Excommunicated -30
Italian Culture +200

Excommunicated is surprisingly overcome easily with some decent traits.

He's a shy wrothful German mystic who has 250 piety

E: scarred too

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

He's a shy wrothful German mystic who has 250 piety.

There is a fascinating book that could be written about this man.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

There is a fascinating book that could be written about this man.

sadly, said book will be censored and all known copies burnt after the inevitable Cadaver Synod repudiating Gilbertus' reign

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
10,000 viking went to war with the Franks

10,000 vikings lined up at the base of the world tree

10,000 vikings fought for the Glory of Odin

and 9,723 vikings died

But we won damnit! :black101: Saxony is still in the hands of the Saxons!

My Brother-in-Law still rules his lands

And I have the one called Charlemagne to offer at the Blot

And I have their great father the Pope to offer at the Blot

And I have 3 sons of Charlemagne to offer at the Blot

The Godi have recognized me as Fylkir

Our new boats shall sail the Oceans

A Great war of faith has been called for our ancestral lands of Germany

The Viking age will be my age :black101:

I am having the best Viking Game Ever

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're going to fall off your horse and into a coma during a minor skirmish.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!

SynthOrange posted:

You're going to fall off your horse and into a coma during a minor skirmish.

Ha that's where you are wrong, I died in a duel with my son over me sleeping with his wife who turned out to be my niece!

I am now the man who killed my own father in a duel of honor and then took his lands and concubines like a real viking! :black101:

I did however lose Norway, Germany, Denmark and Finland and I've only gotten Norway and Denmark back so far, and my bastard brother who didn't inherit anyway is currently raising an adventurer army for my lands, there are like 2 rebellions going on and the pope is real mad at me for looting the Vatican again.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
This is the extent of the Byzantine empire in my game. They lost all of Greece pretty early on and the first crusade was called to take it back. Lombardy then gained the kingdom of Greece which eventually became independent and now lost it again in 995.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 16, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yo, question: Can you make it so that when the Abbs are hit by a decadence revolt, they keep the caliph title? Or is this ahistorical?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I downloaded that migration mod on the paradox forums and holy gently caress

I don't know if there's an event to combat this and give you a chance, because it crashed a week after I unpaused.

Also the huge North African kingdom gets 100+ gold every month. There are no vassals at game start for him, so have fun spending fifteen minutes handing out 50+ titles.

Why are modders so terrible?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
That would actually be relatively accurate, as far as I'm aware. The Abbasids claimed to be Caliphs for centuries after they lost all of their secular and political power, up until the 16th century when the Ottomans kicked the poo poo out of everyone

The Caliph system should probably be more complex then it currently is, though. Needs some sort of anti-pope style system where any jerk can declare himself Caliph. Tie it into some sort of legitimacy system (size, control of holy sites, etc.) to figure out who the "real" Caliph is.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tulul posted:

That would actually be relatively accurate, as far as I'm aware. The Abbasids claimed to be Caliphs for centuries after they lost all of their secular and political power, up until the 16th century when the Ottomans kicked the poo poo out of everyone

The Caliph system should probably be more complex then it currently is, though. Needs some sort of anti-pope style system where any jerk can declare himself Caliph. Tie it into some sort of legitimacy system (size, control of holy sites, etc.) to figure out who the "real" Caliph is.
That's what I'm thinking, yeah. There should be a possibility of a breakdown in the authority of the caliphate, which fractures the secular authority (destroys the Emperor-tier title) and gives a bunch of people traits for claimant status on the caliphate, including the former caliphs. Employ various means (force of arms, control over religious authority, winning a crucial jihad) to decide who is rightfully caliph, then allow that person to recreate the Emperor-tier title and have there be a high chance of members of the same denomination who border the caliph swearing fealty. Distant dynasties should not. Maybe a particularly decadent family that loses a decadence revolt could end up losing their claim on the caliphate as well (though it could probably be declared for in a Piety-heavy decision).

Also whenever the Sunni/Shia caliph is unestablished, the other one should be exploiting the gently caress out of it. Allow for being stable if you're not grossly enormous, like the Egyptian Shia caliphs at times.

If China were ever added you could do the same thing for the Mandate of Heaven. Everybody just up and decides one day that the Emperor is bullshit and it's off to the races once again, and nobody can claim to be in charge of the whole thing until poo poo gets sorted out.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I took over 4 counties in Wales in a war, gave three of them to a mayor and the other to some random dude in my court.
Now, though, the son who should be heir to the Kingdom is now heir to a single City and a random nephew is now heir to the whole shebang.

Is there any way of fixing this, since I'm pretty sure the game's screwed up somewhere.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Swedish Horror posted:

Why are modders so terrible?

Most don't listen to criticism. In that mods case they have too many people with ideas on how and what the mod should accomplish but don't have a real plan on how to get it done. They read something and go "oh man, we need to put that in there asap!" That's why so many kingdoms have 10,000 troops in the year 400. :smithicide:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Does After the End need any of the expansions, or just the base game? A friend is curious after I mentioned I was playing a post-apoc mod.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

LordGugs posted:

Does anyone remember where the mods were that made a ton of fantasy hordes, I remember a nazi horde. But there were others.

That was me. I've been extremely busy getting married and finishing finals, so they're on the backburner for the moment. I'm going to be picking it back up pretty soon so I can get out a public version once life settles down a bit.

ShootaBoy posted:

Does After the End need any of the expansions, or just the base game? A friend is curious after I mentioned I was playing a post-apoc mod.

It has optional modules for if you have some of the DLCs, but only for cosmetic stuff like faces and coat-of-arms graphics. It will work just fine without any of them, but he wont be able to play as the religions the mod counts as "pagans" without the Old Gods.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 16, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ShootaBoy posted:

It can work with the base game, but there's some optional modules for some of the face DLCs and the like. Enabling Sunset Invasion gives the Native Americans distinctive faces, at least, and the African face pack is good because African-Americans play a bit more of a central role here than Mali in CK2 proper. The Ursulines up in Quebec use college of cardinal mechanics, if you have Sons of Abraham enabled.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Well he'll be happy then. I had no idea cause I'm a Paradox whore and buy all the expansions as they come out :v:

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

This is the extent of the Byzantine empire in my game. They lost all of Greece pretty early on and the first crusade was called to take it back. Lombardy then gained the kingdom of Greece which eventually became independent and now lost it again in 995.

ABBASIDS! :argh:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Byzantines in my Sweden game own those weird little isles in the Mediterranean that's it.

Half of them are owned by the Byzantine revolt

Shions of Qud

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The Byzantines in my game lost Greece to the Abbasids and got reduced to just the Balkans and southern Italy. Then they collapsed into a bunch of duchies and counties.

Greece later got taken over by the Teutonic Knights after a crusade.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I would prefer the Byzantines holding their cores over the Abbasids having EVEN MORE LANDS. The Greek and Anatolian provinces are also some of the richest and most developed counties in the game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So basically the lesson is the Byzantines are invincible unless they get swallowed up by the even more invincible Abassids. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Eric the Mauve posted:

So basically the lesson is the Byzantines are invincible unless they get swallowed up by the even more invincible Abassids. Awesome.

Essentially, from what I can tell, things go like so:

Byzantines manage to stay stable -> big blurple blob eating everything.
Byzantines end up unstable, but not too unstable -> Muslim blob next door eats them up in holy wars, Byzzies end up with a bunch of disconnected land all over the place.
Byzantines end up really unstable and practically explode with a massive independence revolt -> same result.

There are of course exceptions, but the general idea seems solid. Blob or be blobbed, the CK2 AI game.

• Locked thread