Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The engine oil is indeed the hydraulic fluid on the NC DCT engines. I've got a special little tiny paper element filter to swap out at every oil change, and apparently that's enough to keep it all from getting mucked up. I'm not sure about the clutch final drive, but I'd definitely be interested to learn more. The clutch is certainly a bit slower to bite than an aggressive use of a manual clutch, but low speed riding has been pretty easy IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Stopped at a stop light with two turning lanes for left and right. I was in the left. A car comes up behind me, reverses, and then comes up besides me in the right hand turning lane. He rolls down his window and says "You know it's gonna rain right?" I give him the thumbs up and he reverses to get back behind me. wtf

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 16, 2015

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Was it gonna rain?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

RadioPassive posted:

Was it gonna rain?
Supposedly it was going to shoot to a 50% chance at about 10 PM last night (it was about 8 when this happened) but nothing ever came. So ah no. Made it home completely dry over an hour long ride.

Ever since getting a bike years ago I am suddenly an amateur meteorologist. I mostly know where and what time rain will likely come 2 days out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

astrollinthepork posted:

Stopped at a stop light with a two turning lanes for left and right. I was in the left. A car comes up behind me, reverses, and then comes up besides me in the right hand turning lane. He rolls down his window and says "You know it's gonna rain right?" I give him the thumbs up and he reverses to get back behind me. wtf

http://youtu.be/KpcmfjFN8OI

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

Stopped at a stop light with two turning lanes for left and right. I was in the left. A car comes up behind me, reverses, and then comes up besides me in the right hand turning lane. He rolls down his window and says "You know it's gonna rain right?" I give him the thumbs up and he reverses to get back behind me. wtf

I went to see Mad Max yesterday (owns) and only wore helmet and gloves. I got caught in a windy downpour in a t shirt and jeans. I really wish I knew what people were thinking :haw:. I lane split/rode in the bicycle lane to get home cause it was rush hour already and with the rain it was awful.

Later that night I went to a Denny's with a friend and as we came out it was raining buckets :gibs: At least I was in full gear.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

Supposedly it was going to shoot to a 50% chance at about 10 PM last night (it was about 8 when this happened) but nothing ever came. So ah no. Made it home completely dry over an hour long ride.

Ever since getting a bike years ago I am suddenly an amateur meteorologist. I mostly know where and what time rain will likely come 2 days out.

I certainly browse my weather app more frequently when thinking about riding to work or going out for an evening. Just being on the bike in general I start checking sun rise times and sunsets to see if I my tinted shield will be too much or not.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

Same, it's usually half an hour before I leave work.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
gently caress motorcycle thieves. :(

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Akion posted:

gently caress motorcycle thieves. :(

Uh oh. What happened (and what security measures were you using, pure curiosity)?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Chained to the brush guard of my truck. Got stolen some time last night.

Just moved last month and was actually going out to go shopping for a disc lock.

:(

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Sounds to me like you just saved yourself the cost of a disc lock. If they were prepared to cut a chain, I'm guessing they probably had a nearby vehicle to throw it into as well, so a disc lock might've just slowed them down slightly.

What bike did you have?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Argh. Got a reckless driving charge for speeding (cop didn't have radar on). He asks my why I'm in a hurry and I point to the thunderclouds. Dickhead makes me sit until the rain starts pouring down, would have easily made it home otherwise.

Get home, check GPS tracker. Wasn't speeding at all.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
If you don't value your time go down and waste someone else time filing a complaint in addition to pleading not-guilty.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Gillingham posted:

If you don't value your time

I don't really.

Fortunately this occurred in a county where the good old boy system is alive and well. Unfortunately it was a county adjacent to where I live and have an amazing lawer (ex-judge). I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a solid referral from him though.

Predicting it will be $150 and traffic school.

I'm honestly more irritated about the cop's attitude and the fact that he put me (sort of) in harms way by making me wait until it started storming to let me go. The ticket is....whatever. I'll be avoiding that county in my rides from here on out though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Akion posted:

Just moved last month and was actually going out to go shopping for a disc lock.

Was it insured?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Akion posted:

drat man, sorry to hear that. Do you have theft insurance?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ripoff posted:

Sounds to me like you just saved yourself the cost of a disc lock. If they were prepared to cut a chain, I'm guessing they probably had a nearby vehicle to throw it into as well, so a disc lock might've just slowed them down slightly.

What bike did you have?

DRZ400SM

hot sauce posted:

drat man, sorry to hear that. Do you have theft insurance?

Yeah, already filed a police report and insurance claim.

Collateral Damage posted:

Was it insured?

Yeah.

The thing that sucks is just that now I don't know if I really want to get another bike. Assuming I get ~$3500 from insurance I can pick up another DRZ or a WR250X, but what's the point if its just going to get stolen again? :(

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd have a hard time rationalizing keeping a bike if I didn't have a place to garage it.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Is theft a huge issue? I feel like dirt bikes in the boonies probably have a lot of concern but less so in cities with generic bikes. Around LA I haven't really worried, then again I drive a versys so no one probably wants to steal it.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Well, this is the second DRZ-SM I know of stolen in my area of town in the last month, and the cop says auto-theft is pretty high in Denver.

I figured the DRZ would be low likelihood to be stolen. Guess I figured wrong.

revmoo posted:

I'd have a hard time rationalizing keeping a bike if I didn't have a place to garage it.

That's kind of where I am at right now. Assuming I get $3500 back from Insurance that's money that could go towards furnishing my new condo or paying off my student loans or something.

Akion fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 17, 2015

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gillingham posted:

Is theft a huge issue? I feel like dirt bikes in the boonies probably have a lot of concern but less so in cities with generic bikes. Around LA I haven't really worried, then again I drive a versys so no one probably wants to steal it.

Not sure if this is the case everywhere, but where I live dirt bikes/SMs are just as desirable as supersports. A DRZ wouldn't last a month outside of a garage.

Akion - what about using some of the insurance money for a beat up looking older bike?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Edit: He lives in downtown Denver, I am bad at reading.

The fact that a DRZ was stolen doesn't surprise me in the least. I bet that the parts market for those things are huge since so many people dong around on them (and subsequently eat poo poo and beat them up), and I also bet that if someone stole it they could swap the wheels/tires out, rip the lights off and have a decent off-road dirt-bike that will never need to see an inspection station or registration office for a plate. Or they might just ride it on the street regardless

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
When I parted out my DRZs, the parts sold faster than any other bike I've ever parted out.

They're also trivial to hotwire and relatively light so easy to toss in a van/truck, which makes them total theft magnets.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Z3n posted:

relatively light so easy to toss in a van/truck, which makes them total theft magnets.

Solution: get a Harley :unsmigghh:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

revmoo posted:

Argh. Got a reckless driving charge for speeding (cop didn't have radar on). He asks my why I'm in a hurry and I point to the thunderclouds. Dickhead makes me sit until the rain starts pouring down, would have easily made it home otherwise.

Get home, check GPS tracker. Wasn't speeding at all.

Wait if you weren't speeding shouldn't you be able to get the charges dropped?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
A bike is a bike, some people will just steal them for shits and giggles to thrash around on a field.

When my first one was stolen I was ridiculously paranoid over its replacement; chained to a sewer grate, disc locked and covered, constantly looking out the window at the slightest noise. Mostly it was fueled by being absolutely furious since I scrimped for the better part of a year to buy it, only to be robbed after less than three months of getting it.

Condolences, it's lovely

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That sucks. Get a blast.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

hot sauce posted:

Not sure if this is the case everywhere, but where I live dirt bikes/SMs are just as desirable as supersports. A DRZ wouldn't last a month outside of a garage.

Akion - what about using some of the insurance money for a beat up looking older bike?

All I want is another Supermoto. :(

Renaissance Robot posted:

Solution: get a Harley :unsmigghh:

I had one before the DRZ. Never again.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Coredump posted:

Wait if you weren't speeding shouldn't you be able to get the charges dropped?

Your word vs. a cop in some traffic court that's just trying to make money off you. GLHF with that.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 17, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Marxalot posted:

Your word vs. a cop in some traffic court that's just trying to make money off you. GLHF with that.

Haha yeah if only life were so simple. Either way this isn't my first rodeo and I'll handle it.

First ticket in YEARS though. My 3 and 5 year record is totally clean. I pay approximately zero insurance for both cars and my bike. I don't even have to pay on the Ninja again till mid-2016.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Keepin' it reeeeeeaalllllll out in Waco. Real dumb.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/rival-motorcycle-gangs-behind-shooting-texas-restaurant-article-1.2225691

FFS, this isn't Gus' Saloon 20 miles outside of Wundermulch, Idaho. These are family establishments found in any metro area. Straight to Federal rear end pounding prison, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Marxalot posted:

not really his word vs the officer if he has GPS speed tracking evidence of his location and current speed at the time of the ticket.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Digital_Jesus posted:

not really his word vs the officer if he has GPS speed tracking evidence of his location and current speed at the time of the ticket.

Again, I wish it worked like that, and maybe where you live it does, but this is the south. We negotiate our fines like proper gentlemen; with winks, nods, and cash.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm fairly certain that having just a smidgeon of corruption in any given bureaucracy actually works better than if everyone stuck to the letter of the law 100% of the time.

Marv Hushman posted:

Keepin' it reeeeeeaalllllll out in Waco. Real dumb.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/rival-motorcycle-gangs-behind-shooting-texas-restaurant-article-1.2225691

FFS, this isn't Gus' Saloon 20 miles outside of Wundermulch, Idaho. These are family establishments found in any metro area. Straight to Federal rear end pounding prison, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

cop posted:

“We are not horse playing,” Swanton said. “So many rounds were fired from bad guy weapons here. It is amazing that innocent civilians were not injured here."

:allears:

Hope you guys are enjoying your slowly disintegrating society.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 18, 2015

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Gillingham posted:

My GS500e was stolen. I got it back and that same week they came back to try and steal it a second time and were stopped by a disc lock.

Now what is this about a bike that no one wants to steal?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Slavvy posted:

It can't disintegrate fast enough to make me happy.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

:allears:

If we started thinking of the children too much, we might end up with zero-tolerance anti-speeding campaigns and concerned women calling the police on their neighbors for the crime of owning a bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah but if I were black, I know I wouldn't get shot for speeding in NZ. I'd rather have a nanny state than a 'gently caress you up if we don't like you for some reason' state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The opinion of people who exist in a world of J.R.R. Tolkien fantasy novels is irrelevant, Frodo