Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

FSA & YPG coalition emblem in the top right?

That's a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Iraq isn't a functional state and many of the locals around Ramadi support Isis. The only thing shocking about Isis in Ramadi is that they weren't running it already. If any non Iranian intelligence service was capable of doing anything useful or competent in Iraq then the last fifteen years of Iraqi history would look very different.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Morsi just got sentenced to death.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The whole Egyptian revolution and counter revolution has been a farce of the highest order.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moments like this make me wonder if the Egyptian 'spring' was doomed from the very beginning, or if there could have been something like real reform had the MB not hosed up by ruling in so high-handed a manner.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

This opinion is based on nothing, but The fact that ISIS is fast approaching it's 1st year anniversary and not already crushed to bits makes me entirely convinced that there is some kind of intelligence service bullshit going on, I mean, they haven't even been put on the backfoot in any majorly significant way other than tikrit, and now they've got loving Ramadi, there's no way they should have any kind of offensive ability anymore given the forces allayed against them, I am kind of suspecting that something is up, either something like the Pakistani ISI's equivalent of backing the Taliban is going on, or someone is keeping ISIS alive somehow to put pressure on the Iraqi government.

They have a ton of private backers, especially in the Gulf states, and the porous front lines and 'borders' make it easy for volunteers and material to keep coming in. As long as their opposition on the ground is a shambles they are not going to be crushed. The air strikes are a major nuisance, but not enough to eliminate them.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Best Friends posted:

Iraq isn't a functional state and many of the locals around Ramadi support Isis. The only thing shocking about Isis in Ramadi is that they weren't running it already. If any non Iranian intelligence service was capable of doing anything useful or competent in Iraq then the last fifteen years of Iraqi history would look very different.

Bingo. ISIS is a rational decision for many Sunnis because they are getting the poo poo murdered out of them by Iraqi militias.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
They're a poultice on the world, drawing the pus into one location.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

The Insect Court posted:

Moments like this make me wonder if the Egyptian 'spring' was doomed from the very beginning, or if there could have been something like real reform had the MB not hosed up by ruling in so high-handed a manner.

The problem is that even if Morsi had the purest of intentions, he needed to rule in a high-handed manner in order to remove the power of the old/new autocratic regime.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Egyptians were the farce.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oh come on

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sentenced to death for his prison escape in 2011, during the revolution too. Hey, at least they aren't going to suicide him in his cell. :suicide:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
U.S. special forces apparently are now good to run ops in Syria

quote:

US special forces have killed a senior Islamic State member and captured his wife in a raid in eastern Syria, the Pentagon says.
It said in a statement that Abu Sayyaf helped direct Islamic State's oil, gas and financial operations, as well as holding a military role.
He was killed when he engaged US forces, the statement said.
The operation in al-Amr was authorised by President Barack Obama and was carried out by forces based in Iraq.
None of the US troops involved in the overnight operation were killed or injured, the White House said.
It said that Abu Sayyaf's wife, Umm Sayyaf, is suspected of being an IS member and of being complicit in the enslavement of a Yazidi woman who was rescued in the raid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-32764995

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

For one second i was confused and i was wondering why they were talking about the Abu Sayyaf group from the Philippines. Too many father of the swordsmith around i guess.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

J33uk posted:

U.S. special forces apparently are now good to run ops in Syria

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-32764995

More likely they were being held by Syrian security and it was a caged shoot orchestrated to something something body parts thrown into the Euphrates.

I wonder why didn't they just blow him up with a drone which seems more Obama's metier. Asset retrieval? Wife defecting? Semi mysterious, probably won't really be explained.

farraday fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 16, 2015

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

farraday posted:

More likely they were being held by Syrian security and it was a caged shoot orchestrated to something something body parts thrown into the Euphrates.

I wonder why didn't they just blow him up with a drone which seems more Obama's metier. Asset retrieval? Wife defecting? Semi mysterious, probably won't really be explained.

The NSC spokesperson has a bit more info:

https://m.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/05/16/statement-nsc-spokesperson-bernadette-meehan-counter-isil-operation-sy-0

quote:

Last night, at the President’s direction, U.S. personnel based out of Iraq conducted an operation in al-Amr in eastern Syria to capture an ISIL senior leader known as Abu Sayyaf and his wife Umm Sayyaf. During the course of the operation, Abu Sayyaf was killed when he engaged U.S. forces.

Umm Sayyaf was captured and is currently in U.S. military detention in Iraq. The operation also led to the freeing of a young Yezidi woman who appears to have been held as a slave by the couple. We intend to reunite her with her family as soon as feasible.

No U.S. personnel were killed or injured during this operation.

Abu Sayyaf was a senior ISIL leader who, among other things, had a senior role in overseeing ISIL’s illicit oil and gas operations – a key source of revenue that enables the terrorist organization to carry out their brutal tactics and oppress thousands of innocent civilians. He was also involved with the group’s military operations. We suspect that Umm Sayyaf is a member of ISIL, played an important role in ISIL’s terrorist activities, and may have been complicit in the enslavement of the young woman rescued last night.

The President authorized this operation upon the unanimous recommendation of his national security team and as soon as we had developed sufficient intelligence and were confident the mission could be carried out successfully and consistent with the requirements for undertaking such operations. This operation was conducted with the full consent of Iraqi authorities and, like our existing airstrikes against ISIL in Syria, consistent with domestic and international law.

We are working to determine an ultimate disposition for the detainee that best supports the national security of the United States and of our allies and partners, consistent with domestic and international law. We will follow our usual practice with respect to giving the ICRC notification and access to the detainee.

As Commander-in-Chief, the President is grateful to the brave U.S. personnel who carried out this complex mission as well as the Iraqi authorities for their support of the operation and for the use of their facilities, which contributed to its success. The United States will continue to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with our Iraqi partners in our effort to degrade and ultimately destroy ISIL.

If I had to guess why not a drone strike, a combination of the White House wanting to see what intel it could get from him and his wife. And maybe they didn't want to hurt the Yazidi girl, since protection of religious minorities is a key stated reason for US operations. It would look bad.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Unbelievable.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

The Insect Court posted:

die

just die

e. this, ladies and gentlemen, is why you purge the military after a successful revolution god drat

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

William Bear posted:

https://m.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/05/16/statement-nsc-spokesperson-bernadette-meehan-counter-isil-operation-sy-0

If I had to guess why not a drone strike, a combination of the White House wanting to see what intel it could get from him and his wife. And maybe they didn't want to hurt the Yazidi girl, since protection of religious minorities is a key stated reason for US operations. It would look bad.

Seems kinda thin. Anything like this is a high risk operation despite the fact it seems to have been pulled off flawlessly. Regardless of the undoubted trauma the girls gone through, this sin't the sort of thing you put together on the fly, regardless of what Hollywood would have us believe and the risk is not only to the men but exposing sources of how we're getting intel on their high level people. A commando raid raises far more questions on that front than a drone strike and it seems to me that there's probably a specific tangible reason we sent in troops instead of just blowing him up, regardless of who else was in the building.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

farraday posted:

Seems kinda thin. Anything like this is a high risk operation despite the fact it seems to have been pulled off flawlessly. Regardless of the undoubted trauma the girls gone through, this sin't the sort of thing you put together on the fly, regardless of what Hollywood would have us believe and the risk is not only to the men but exposing sources of how we're getting intel on their high level people. A commando raid raises far more questions on that front than a drone strike and it seems to me that there's probably a specific tangible reason we sent in troops instead of just blowing him up, regardless of who else was in the building.

intelligence assets in the area?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

farraday posted:

They were trying to capture him:

quote:

The American troops were trying to capture Abu Sayyaf, who the administration said was involved in the Islamic State’s militant operations and helped oversee its “illicit oil and gas operations – a key source of revenue” for the network.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/white-house-us-special-forces-kill-key-islamic-state-leader-118017.html?hp=l1_3

Seriously you guys are overthinking this.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Point of order, Obama's entire drone strike program is based on the killing of high value targets not capturing of them.The fact they were trying to capture him is probably true, but it hardly explains why. It's not like we haven't been blowing up other high value ISIS targets.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's also only the second time US forces have stepped foot in Syria as far as I know. The last one was easily explained because it was an attempt to break Foley and Sotloff out of prison in Raqqa. Not sure what's so special about this guy that they wanted him that bad, but I imagine a bit more than "oil operations overseer" will come out now that everyone is going to be digging into his history.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

farraday posted:

Point of order, Obama's entire drone strike program is based on the killing of high value targets not capturing of them.The fact they were trying to capture him is probably true, but it hardly explains why. It's not like we haven't been blowing up other high value ISIS targets.

Well he had information that they wanted, or possessed objects that they wanted. Also there was a hostage. The US has also captured high value targets before, like the guy in Libya who planned the Benghazi attack. This isn't nearly as strange or odd as people are making it out to be.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Dr. Tough posted:

Well he had information that they wanted, or possessed objects that they wanted. Also there was a hostage. The US has also captured high value targets before, like the guy in Libya who planned the Benghazi attack. This isn't nearly as strange or odd as people are making it out to be.

I'd like to believe the US cared about a random Yazdi hostage, I don't, but I'd like to. And comparing ti to someone involved with :argh: BENGHAZI :argh: only highlights the strangeness it doesn't explain it.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Al-Saqr posted:

I dont know, I'm not even going to pretend that I have any idea, but I'm speculating that someone somewhere in other countries must be funelling money and help to ISIS outside of the organization itself. of course this is just far flung speculative nonsense on my part, just some kind of way to rationalize how they're still able to press forward despite everything.

The most likely scenario is that ISIS receives money from the gulf states, primarily KSA and UAE, to help fight their proxy war against Iran.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
How about implicit support from Turkey, or maybe not so implicit at times?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Volkerball posted:

It's also only the second time US forces have stepped foot in Syria as far as I know. The last one was easily explained because it was an attempt to break Foley and Sotloff out of prison in Raqqa. Not sure what's so special about this guy that they wanted him that bad, but I imagine a bit more than "oil operations overseer" will come out now that everyone is going to be digging into his history.

Technically third, if you count the time we chased insurgents from Iraq into Syria in October 2008 (and Assad bitched about it). It's been suggested that Abu Sayyaf had close connections with Baghdadi and that some of his "communication equipment" was recovered, so I imagine he had some serious humint about ISIS leadership.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MothraAttack posted:

Technically third, if you count the time we chased insurgents from Iraq into Syria in October 2008 (and Assad bitched about it). It's been suggested that Abu Sayyaf had close connections with Baghdadi and that some of his "communication equipment" was recovered, so I imagine he had some serious humint about ISIS leadership.
As well as that he probably had knowledge of and access to significant ISIS revenue streams. If he was running the oil and gas business he knew who the money comes from and where it goes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Regarding the Egyptian kangaroo court, I'm not surprised by this at all, because this is fascists being fascists. But what the Egyptian fascists and elite who support it don't understand is that all they've done is ensure that the next generation of revolutionaries will be deaf to their pleas of fair trials and all of them (including the judges themselves) will head straight to the guillotines and firing lines from the first second the next time an explosion happens.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 16, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Volkerball posted:

It's also only the second time US forces have stepped foot in Syria as far as I know.

And therein lies a pretty big caveat.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Regarding the Egyptian kangaroo court, I'm not surprised by this at all, because this is fascists being fascists. But what the Egyptian fascists and elite who support it don't understand is that all they've done is ensure that the next generation of revolutionaries will be deaf to their pleas of fair trials and all of them (including the judges themselves) will head straight to the guillotines and firing lines from the first second the next time an explosion happens.

Good because the MB was idiotic and no mercy should have been shown to the likes of Mubarak, much, Much less to the people willing to work for him.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Couple of interesting pieces to read for the thread

Kirk Sowell on the widening rift between the Shia militias and the Abadi government and the subsequent political jockeying that has seen Maliki of all people return to a prominent media position. Part 1 and Part 2.

Michael Knight writing for AJ on the recent KRG visit to Washington with some commentary on the controversial NDAA amendment which would have recognized the KRG as a country in regards to how the US assigns military assistance.

Snippet:

Al Jazeera posted:

Against this backdrop the last nine months have witnessed intensified discontent among Kurdish leaders over the level of US military support to the Peshmerga, Kurdistan's fighting force. In particular, the Kurds have complained that Washington has allocated too small a proportion of its $1.6bn Iraq Train and Equip Fund (ITEF) assistance to Kurdistan. Specific complaints range from the amounts of equipment allocated to Kurdistan, most notoriously the transfer to the Kurds of just 25 Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected (MRAP) vehicles out of 250 allocated to Iraq by the US. Slow and indirect delivery of US weapons systems is a connected concern. Washington has chosen to funnel most weapons shipments via the federal Iraqi Ministry of Defence, the only entity entitled by US law to sign end-user certificates (EUCs) for the weapons. The early May visit to Washington DC might have become just another battle in the deepening struggle between Washington and Erbil but the Kurds chose a different approach.

The Kurds believe that the federal government deliberately slows the transfer of such life-saving vehicles from Baghdad to Erbil, and Kurdish officials even privately complain that MRAPs sent to the KRG had been sabotaged while in transit. In reaction to these views, the House Armed Services Committee of the US Congress introduced clauses into the annual National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), the Pentagon's budget, in an attempt to protect the Kurds' fair share of US weapons. The now notorious draft NDAA for Fiscal Year 2016, an early and unratified version of the final legislation, was amended by congress to include a clause (Section 1223) that named the Peshmerga as one of a number of security forces collectively entitled to "not less than 25 percent" of the annual $715m of US support. Most controversially the amendment would allow the KRG "as a country" to "directly receive assistance from the United States" if Baghdad failed to meet the aforementioned condition, a clause that sparked security threats from Shia militia leaders against US trainers in Iraq

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

farraday posted:

I'd like to believe the US cared about a random Yazdi hostage, I don't, but I'd like to. And comparing ti to someone involved with :argh: BENGHAZI :argh: only highlights the strangeness it doesn't explain it.

Think about it. The reason that ISIS has been able to keep churning along is that they have some very strong revenue sources which keep them rolling in dough and able to do things like buy equipment and pay fighters. Capturing a senior moneyman, or at least securing his books, is step 1 in identifying and eliminating those sources of income.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Zeroisanumber posted:

Think about it. The reason that ISIS has been able to keep churning along is that they have some very strong revenue sources which keep them rolling in dough and able to do things like buy equipment and pay fighters. Capturing a senior moneyman, or at least securing his books, is step 1 in identifying and eliminating those sources of income.

For context: online sources claim ISIS fighters are paid between $100-$400 (or $1000 if a foreigner) a month, more than any other armed group in the area, including Iraq's army.

Anti-ISIS leaders are probably hoping stuff like this happens again: in November, a fighter returned home to India, claiming he was not being paid.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/indian-isis-fighter-who-killed-dozens-returned-home-due-low-pay-militant-group-1477306

William Bear fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 16, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

William Bear posted:

For context: online sources claim ISIS fighters are paid between $100-$400 (or $1000 if a foreigner) a month, more than any other armed group in the area, including Iraq's army.

Anti-ISIS leaders are probably hoping stuff like this happens again: in November, a fighter returned home to India, claiming he was not being paid.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/indian-isis-fighter-who-killed-dozens-returned-home-due-low-pay-militant-group-1477306

While that's super important for morale do we have numbers of how much/what heavy weapons ISIS are buying from abroad? That is or do they not need to import them because the region is so littered with tanks/ATGMs/etc?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

V. Illych L. posted:

die

just die

e. this, ladies and gentlemen, is why you purge the military after a successful revolution god drat

The military was the revolution though, there was absolutely no chance of the MB purging it.

William Bear posted:

So what do we do with Umm's nowadays? Gitmo?

farraday posted:

Because those targets are in the middle of hostile territory, not easy to snatch across the border raid targets.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

eSports Chaebol posted:

The problem is that even if Morsi had the purest of intentions, he needed to rule in a high-handed manner in order to remove the power of the old/new autocratic regime.

Turning non-Islamists against the MB and his administration so decidedly and pointlessly didn't help to dismantle the deep state.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
I really wonder what MB would have done with a couple more months. It certainly looks like they were heading in a pretty dangerous direction but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

V. Illych L. posted:

die

just die

Hahahahahahha I didn't realize that Paul Bremer posted on these boards

• Locked thread