Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah that's badass. Gonna have to pick those up. I last read Thor up to the point he defeated the sword of God killing, which was awesome. Looks like I have more to find (in Avengers books doh)

Excuse me, I believe you mean :black101:ALL-BLACK, THE NECROSWORD:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If that's the last Thor you've read, you ain't seen the drunk partying dragon or the old-Thor Galactus fight and need to pick God of Thunder back up tout suite.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Infinity event also has a really badass Thor moment when he convinces the Kree to fight back against the Builders.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

muscles like this? posted:

The Infinity event also has a really badass Thor moment when he convinces the Kree to fight back against the Builders.

Avulsion posted:

It's true that the Norse religion fell on hard times for a few centuries, but Thor has spent the past several decades flying around the universe kicking rear end and spreading the good word. There are probably entire planets worshiping him at this point.

From Infinity:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Of course in the end the Builders were right. Everything dies. Although even blowing up the Earth wouldn't have stopped what was coming.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So Thor sent out his hammer into outer space, into a sun to superheat it, then reach relativistic velocities only to kill one guy.
And he still caught Mjolnir on the way out bare-loving-handed.
Why are there still Christians and Buddhists and stuff in the Marvel universe?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

So Thor sent out his hammer into outer space, into a sun to superheat it, then reach relativistic velocities only to kill one guy.

Because Thor gets chumped by the bad guy of the week all the time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Calaveron posted:

Marvel never draws their adventures, but 616 Jesus and Buddha are also swole as gently caress and regularly save the universe by punching mans

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Andrast posted:

Because Thor gets chumped by the bad guy of the week all the time.

Yeah I mean if there was recorded footage of Jesus botching a one-liner and getting knocked on his rear end by a guy with a crowbar, it'd hurt his image.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think it's really understated how great Cap's dialogue is in Infinity. One of the best examples of Cap as a tactician.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

AnonSpore posted:

Marvel never draws their adventures, but 616 Jesus and Buddha are also swole as gently caress and regularly save the universe by punching mans

I would read the hell out of Marvel's Jesus and Buddha.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Just make Saint Young Men 616 canon

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I mean if there was recorded footage of Jesus botching a one-liner and getting knocked on his rear end by a guy with a crowbar, it'd hurt his image.

Thor botches nothing.

Nothing.

Deadpool Annual, 2013ish?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

But for a latte most vanilla.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
"A latte most vanilla" is an amazing Thorism

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's actually what he was drinking in the first movie when he smashed the cup.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Pyronic posted:

Just make Saint Young Men 616 canon

That would be great, but needs more superheroing.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That would be great, but needs more superheroing.

Saint Young Men meets One-Punch Man.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Probably Magic posted:

Saint Young Men meets One-Punch Man.

Saint Young Punch Men.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Calaveron posted:

Because Thor is a poo poo-tier god that lived in the Midwest for years, and even a small town preacher ended up a Herald of Galactus. We've cloned Thor. What sort of pissant divinity gets cloned and used as a goon for law enforcement? He's not even Thor right now, some human woman snagged his power. Who would follow a god who, by his own admission, isn't even worthy? Hell his entire mythological crew had to rent their hell from a more important devil. Entire aspects of their mythology are on loan. And what do all those more important demons aspire to be? Satan. Judeo-Christianity wins again!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

There was that time Jesus showed up and punked Satan who was trying to steal Johnny Blaze soul. (Retcons be damned, that is what happened. )

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Cloning Thor was one of the lowest points Marvel has ever sunk to.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

The 00s were a very odd transitory period in hindsight.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
An era they never really left, it's not like the events afterwards were that much better. Granted, not as dumb as Civil War, but that is nit exactly a high bar to pass.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

AnonSpore posted:

"A latte most vanilla" is an amazing Thorism

Thor loving lattes is canon

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Didn't Clor have his robot bits pulled out and became the new Thunderstrike in Dark Avengerbolts? What ever came of that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nobody has anything particularly good to say about it so it'll probably get ignored. vOv

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

KaosMachina posted:

Didn't Clor have his robot bits pulled out and became the new Thunderstrike in Dark Avengerbolts? What ever came of that?

No, he calls himself Ragnarok. Eric Masterson's kid is the new Thunderstrike. Neither one of them really ever show up because no one gives a poo poo about either of them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

No, he calls himself Ragnarok. Eric Masterson's kid is the new Thunderstrike. Neither one of them really ever show up because no one gives a poo poo about either of them.

I don't even give a poo poo about the new Thunderstrike and I'm one of like 8 people who read that whole mini.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

TwoPair posted:

Only due to editorial killing the book because it was outselling the actual Thor book.

I am still bitter about that poo poo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm the guy who defends Millar's depiction of Tony Stark in the main Civil War series as compared to how every other writer portrayed him. Tony was a guy reluctantly trying to control a terrible situation and a lot of the terrible things the pro-reg side does that are attributed to him aren't his doing. All except Clone Thor. That one can't be defended because at the end of the day, it was just Mark Millar wanting to find any excuse to use Thor in his comic and nothing more. The best you can say is that Tony was smart enough to hit the off switch when it went horribly wrong (plus the What If issue showed that the government would have just mass produced those guys without Tony around to steer the ship).

TwoPair posted:

I feel that Jeff Parker was on the cusp of going in an interesting direction with Ragnarok. He briefly gave an idea that being Ragnarok is completely messed up because he has all of Thor's memories, but knows he's nothing more than a cyborg clone. Is he worthy based on the man he's created from and the actions he never did but remembers doing? Can he be worthy?

Then he picked up Mjolnir from an alternate reality and it changed his appearance to something really stupid. Then Dark Avengers ended because not only because of the low sales, but there was literally no storyline reason for it to continue because the team had no mission statement or direction.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The only cool/interesting part of that mini to me was when Tony Stark jacked in to NYC's power grid and fired a loving enormous unibeam that shut off the city.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gavok posted:

I'm the guy who defends Millar's depiction of Tony Stark in the main Civil War series as compared to how every other writer portrayed him. Tony was a guy reluctantly trying to control a terrible situation and a lot of the terrible things the pro-reg side does that are attributed to him aren't his doing. All except Clone Thor. That one can't be defended because at the end of the day, it was just Mark Millar wanting to find any excuse to use Thor in his comic and nothing more. The best you can say is that Tony was smart enough to hit the off switch when it went horribly wrong (plus the What If issue showed that the government would have just mass produced those guys without Tony around to steer the ship).

I feel that Jeff Parker was on the cusp of going in an interesting direction with Ragnarok. He briefly gave an idea that being Ragnarok is completely messed up because he has all of Thor's memories, but knows he's nothing more than a cyborg clone. Is he worthy based on the man he's created from and the actions he never did but remembers doing? Can he be worthy?

Then he picked up Mjolnir from an alternate reality and it changed his appearance to something really stupid. Then Dark Avengers ended because not only because of the low sales, but there was literally no storyline reason for it to continue because the team had no mission statement or direction.

Hello I'm that guy too.

Who did Thor face off against when they crossed over with DC?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Who did Thor face off against when they crossed over with DC?
Captain Marvel

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seriously? They didn't do Captain Marvel vs. Captain Marvel?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Captain Marvel either wasn't a living character at that point or was Genis who was busy going crazy in space.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also Thor and Captain Marvel are both mythological characters who transform(ed in Thor's case) from a weaker form to a strong form with a bolt of lightning. It's honestly pretty sensible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, who won?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Well then everyone would know ahead of time that Captain Marvel would win. GEEZ ZOUX

zoux posted:

Well, who won?
Thor. But they prayed together first because neither actually wanted to fight the other.

Thor also had the advantage of dressing as The 90s.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

redbackground posted:

But they prayed together first because neither actually wanted to fight the other.

Thor also had the advantage of dressing as The 90s.