Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I wonder what is new in the Witcher thre

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've been kinda critical about the company and series, how did my name get mixed up in the shill thing. :psyduck:

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

poptart_fairy posted:

I've been kinda critical about the company and series, how did my name get mixed up in the shill thing. :psyduck:

Hate crime!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Robutt posted:

(I too blame Orv with his damned wit. Thought you were being clever huh? Look what you did.)

It's a pre-release thread, it's basically all a write-off anyway.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Toplowtech posted:

I think you mean SA's world famous forum with its highly reputated Games sub-forum featuring "good" "reviews" from "solid" "gamers". :suicide:

Well, I come here for the game reviews such as

a typical goon post 5 minutes after launch posted:

game owns (bones)

We can't have corporate shills undermine the integrity of the hype train!

As for actual content, I'm not sure if this has 4K gameplay footage on the PC has been posted yet (the German babbling isn't really important, they're just talking about how Hairworks is really bad performance-wise and how impressive everything looks):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuskgsmIe6k

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
CDRP lied about the graphics and is continuing to lie about not needing an Internet connection for the PC even though the manual says you need one the first time you run the game. However, every developer lies about their game, so if you complain about this game but not the others then you are a shill for the other developers.

Disclosure, the check I was talking about earlier has finally arrived. My review will now be a 10/10, I'll be using the review they wrote for me, and I'll be removing the "Skyrim was better" tagline with "Bethesda can learn a lot from CD Projekt Red".

Yaos fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 16, 2015

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Back to on-topic discussion:

So most of the coverage has pointed to two large-scale explorable "zones" after White Orchard: the Skellige Isles, and No Man's Land. I think Comte hinted that there was a third large area that hadn't been showcased yet that he didn't want to spoil - do we have any idea what that is yet? Some other thread on NeoGAF linked to a video that showed that the map for Kaer Morhen looked like it was somewhere close to the size of W.O. Is that the third area? Or is it something that we haven't seen at all yet?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Here's the in-game map. I have no idea what they could be hiding unless they are adding the area with a patch, which would mean blocking it off for anybody that doesn't patch.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VanillaGorilla posted:

So most of the coverage has pointed to two large-scale explorable "zones" after White Orchard: the Skellige Isles, and No Man's Land. I think Comte hinted that there was a third large area that hadn't been showcased yet that he didn't want to spoil - do we have any idea what that is yet? Some other thread on NeoGAF linked to a video that showed that the map for Kaer Morhen looked like it was somewhere close to the size of W.O. Is that the third area? Or is it something that we haven't seen at all yet?

There are (from my overwatching coverage lately) six regions, regions being what prompts a load screen when passing between them; Skellige, White Orchard, Velen/NML, Kaer Morhen, Vizima and Novigrad. Given the size of the various regions I imagine Novigrod and Kaer Morhen are pretty large but Kaer Morhen might be slightly misleading as you start the game there in flashbacks.

I love that any time I start posting proper nouns from The Witcher Chrome's spellchecker freaks the gently caress out.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

VanillaGorilla posted:

I'd say it all depends on how crazy they went with time and dimensional travel. Maybe Geralt will go to the Wild Hunt's home dimension and find out what the hell he was doing there back in the day.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This thread sure went some places overnight.

VoLaTiLe posted:

My Witcher 3 game shipped yesturday if the Royal mail have their poo poo together I could get the game by Monday :drat:

And I'm getting PS4 version I don't care about the 8 bit graphics the game will be awesome

Our chiptune version of the soundtrack will be better than the shoddy "real" PC version anyway.

VanillaGorilla posted:

The second expansion adds a new large zone whenever it comes out. Maybe you're thinking of that?

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 16, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Badly Jester posted:

I'd say it all depends on how crazy they went with time and dimensional travel. Maybe Geralt will go to the Wild Hunt's home dimension and find out what the hell he was doing there back in the day.

I didn't consider it might be like that. Skyrim had a large area hidden off the world map by making it a huge underground cavern.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

VanillaGorilla posted:

Well with respect to the third area: Kaer Morhen is totally in the game and explorable. There also one other area that was shown in a screenshot that Comte was surprised they put up. Here's a link to the screenshot. It looks like another world/dimension.

Akul
Aug 29, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

There was that picture of Geralt in a desert slaying some bugs, about which Comte was not sure why it had already been released. It was probably from either Korath Desert far to the south and to the east of the Nilfgaardian territories or the home dimension/planet of the Wild Hunt elves, Aen Elle.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Akul posted:

There was that picture of Geralt in a desert slaying some bugs, about which Comte was not sure why it had already been released. It was probably from either Korath Desert far to the south and to the east of the Nilfgaardian territories or the home dimension/planet of the Wild Hunt elves, Aen Elle.

It was definitely a different dimension, the sky had a huge-rear end moon or something in it.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I've told myself I won't touch this until I complete Witcher 2, and I won't start that until I complete Witcher 1. The trouble is, I got to just after the dogs attack the village in 1 before I got so bored I literally fell asleep at my desk. Please tell me the game is a slow starter so I can restart it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
W1 is almost universally agreed upon to have a terrible first chapter. Game really picks up when you get into the city, but you honestly wouldn't be missing much if you jumped ahead - none of the consequences of your actions really carry over beyond a few snippets of dialogue.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Actual question, has anyone about the game talked about if a "Fake" save from W2 from the questions is different from a "Real" import? Are there any other triggers apart from those question points?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Comte, I'm not sure if this is something you'd know the answer to, but if we download this via Galaxy will it need twice the listed hard drive space to unpack + install? I'm curious because this is the first game I'm downloading with Galaxy and I'll be putting it on my primary SSD which only has like 50GB free.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I've told myself I won't touch this until I complete Witcher 2, and I won't start that until I complete Witcher 1. The trouble is, I got to just after the dogs attack the village in 1 before I got so bored I literally fell asleep at my desk. Please tell me the game is a slow starter so I can restart it.

The game actually picks up near the end of chapter 3. I really disliked how Act 2 was and afaik there's still a gamebreaking bug with a quest if you find something you aren't supposed to in relation to the main quest. I had to use a savegame editor in java to fix that poo poo.

After chapter 3 (and that drat swamp) it gets really drat good. Unfortunately it's slogged by the first half of the game. I usually recommend people who can't tolerate old gaming conventions to just start with Witcher 2 and read up on Witcher 1.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

guys I miss Utnayan

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I paid 5 dollars for the Witcher 3 eguide and I feel dirty now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Actual question, has anyone about the game talked about if a "Fake" save from W2 from the questions is different from a "Real" import? Are there any other triggers apart from those question points?

Don't quote me on it because I might be fabricating memories, but I believe it has been said there are some minor choices that will only occur as part of an import, and have no relevant questions.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

cheesetriangles posted:

I paid 5 dollars for the Witcher 3 eguide and I feel dirty now.

You could have bought the hard cover collector's edition that comes with a book you'll never read for $24.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0804162980?ie=UTF8&tag=randohouseinc7915-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0804162980

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Oh wow. What a ride this thread turned into.

Guy's anger is completely misplaced. He shouldn't be mad at the developers for making games that can run on the three systems. He should have been mad about the xbone being the lowest common denominator with it's unbelievable amount of RAM.

I feel like I missed something quest-wise in flotsam. Nothing ever came of the reports of corruption. It felt like it was going somewhere, with the false reports by the castilian, and dead spy that was by Dimitri, etc. It seemed like I should have mailed reports to Thaler or something since his contact was gone.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yaos posted:

You could have bought the hard cover collector's edition that comes with a book you'll never read for $24.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0804162980?ie=UTF8&tag=randohouseinc7915-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0804162980

I wouldn't pay 24 dollars for a guide. 5 Dollars was low enough that I said gently caress it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Robutt posted:

Holy poo poo I'm glad I slept through all that poo poo. Was funny to read back though. (I too blame Orv with his damned wit. Thought you were being clever huh? Look what you did.)

So I'm replaying Witcher 2 over the weekend to get my save for Tuesday and while I had every intention of doing a Iorveth run, I think I have to go with Broche. It's been a while since I played the game and so I had forgotten just how awesome he is. I mean at this point I think I'd prefer Roche dong over Geralt dong. Speaking of dong - I am gay so this is important - I know we're not getting Geralt dong but what about other inferior dongs? Is there absolutely no dong or will we get some, just not Geralts?

Here's how I played Roche's path.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lord Lambeth posted:

Here's how I played Roche's path.

Yea if you're not going full rampage with Roche what are you even doing. Turn Witcher into a Hong Kong crime movie, murder everyone in your path to look for a kid to save and then murder everyone else in your path.

I do have one question, in the Giant Bomb vid when they started fresh they were given an option like 'simulate a witcher 2' save. I'm not 100% what that means, obviously it's the 'do you want to import your W2 choices with that shaving scene' toggle but I don't know which option means 'yes gimmie the shave'. I assume 'no' is for that because picking yes just 'simulates' with the default save assumptions?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea if you're not going full rampage with Roche what are you even doing. Turn Witcher into a Hong Kong crime movie, murder everyone in your path to look for a kid to save and then murder everyone else in your path.

I do have one question, in the Giant Bomb vid when they started fresh they were given an option like 'simulate a witcher 2' save. I'm not 100% what that means, obviously it's the 'do you want to import your W2 choices with that shaving scene' toggle but I don't know which option means 'yes gimmie the shave'. I assume 'no' is for that because picking yes just 'simulates' with the default save assumptions?

Yes gets you the questions, no goes with dev canon.

I think I'm wrong on that actually, it's hard to tell. From what I can tell the questions occur when you go to Vizima to talk to Emhyr, given that you're being cleaned up to enter his presence, but I can't tell if that's right off or doesn't happen for a while. :shrug:

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 16, 2015

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The game looks great. It looks great on everything

Relentlessboredomm posted:

dope rear end story telling

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I chose to read this post from bottom-to-top. Witcher 3 lookin' good, but I'm sad they removed the UI. And made it darker and less colourful.

Because this whole thing about 'Downgrade' is pants-on-head stupid.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They completely downgraded the fuckin' horse off to the side and now it's gone. Man, Comte, Why are you all such liars?

No joke though, that top one looks dope and would absolutely not run on my computer if the whole world looked like that, I'm sure. That middle one looks nice. That bottom one looks nice, too, but a little more like Dragon Age - even though I can only vaguely remember what Dragon Age looked like.

I do like things having more color, though.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 16, 2015

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Drifter posted:

They completely downgraded the fuckin' horse off to the side and now it's gone. Man, Comte, Why are you all such liars?

But they added a tiny red man standing on the wooden railing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey, quick question. I wasn't a huge fan of the previous games due to the combat just not being my thing, but I'm really interested in this one. Are their lore videos anywhere that sum up the story of the first two that I could watch before this comes out?

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Every single dumbass "downgrade" screenshot comparison is just so loving dumb. I mean even when they find two screenshots that are of the same place they only look different because the lighting/time of day/weather effects and camera angle are different.

The worst thing though is that every idiot who comes across the images thinks they are the best internet detective and decides to dramatically tell everyone about this momentous discovery. Obnoxious loving whoresons.

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey, quick question. I wasn't a huge fan of the previous games due to the combat just not being my thing, but I'm really interested in this one. Are their lore videos anywhere that sum up the story of the first two that I could watch before this comes out?

There are a couple videos out there that I can't remember because I am stupid. I would however recommend the Kotaku article which is a surprisingly good (but long) primer on the all the lore gubbins you'll need to know.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010
Could i suggest a note in the OP to skip the first 13 pages of the thread.

Although, when read in a Jesse Ventura voice, that guys posts were some of the funniest stuff I've read on SA for quite some time.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What the gently caress.

It's been a while since I've seen a mental breakdown on the Internet like that.

This game is going the be the tits!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, gnarly, for getting rid of the dude who acted like an average /v/ poster.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Badly Jester posted:

Well, I come here for the game reviews such as

We can't have corporate shills undermine the integrity of the hype train!

As for actual content, I'm not sure if this has 4K gameplay footage on the PC has been posted yet (the German babbling isn't really important, they're just talking about how Hairworks is really bad performance-wise and how impressive everything looks):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuskgsmIe6k

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Final Fantasy VII Snowboard mini-game inserted.

That's no downgrade, that's an upgrade!