Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
If there's a period drama on t.v. with people in military uniforms I automatically assume they're fighting the Japanese or nationalists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You got to have the Nationalist. With the KMD you can have sexy nationalist chick spies. Also there is WW2 drama "quota".

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Have your new copies of the Basic Law courtesy of the DAB

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Jesus, like the world hasn't had enough of little red books by now.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I've had it with these clowns. It's completely ridiculous now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

WarpedNaba posted:

Jesus, like the world hasn't had enough of little red books by now.

To be fair that looks to be more like a medium sized red book.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I know this isn't Chinese politics per se, but in a way it is. I thought you guys would appreciate this. A friend teaching English in Beijing sent it to me knowing I collect vintage radios. I can now say I'm probably one of a handful of people in the US who own a tube radio made in Red China during the height of the Cultural Revolution.
It's a "Plum Flower" 750-A

From what little English information I can gather on these sets, this model was made from about 1965 to some point in the 70's.
When I got it, It needed new filter capacitors, a dial drive cord, and a new ECH81 detector/first IF tube.
It covers AM/MW and general coverage Shortwave 3-20 MHZ.
The cabinet is made of a thin, light pine with a heavy lacquer finish. The cabinet construction is crude, but not at all unattractive, more or less where the Japanese were when they started exporting radios to the USA en masse in the late 50's. Rather than the typical masonite or cardboard back, this cabinet has one made from a thin sheet of plywood.

Strangely enough, despite being built in China at a time when the country was more or less closed off to the West, all of the dial scales and labels on this set are printed in English, including the values on individual parts, caps, resistors, etc.
Supposedly the Communist party had a plan to export electronic products to the west, but it never went anywhere until long after the Nixon thaw and Deng's reforms started to take hold.

In terms of construction and quality, it shares a lot more with Japanese and European radios of the mid 1950's than their not so good Russian neighbors to the north. It's actually a half decent performer on Shortwave with a longwire antenna (that's the only antenna it has, an AM loop antenna would be running dog capitalist decadence), and due to the 6P1P (soviet block miniature 6V6GT equivalent) audio output tube, large output transformer, and big oval speaker, has good sound. The tubes are a mix of PRC clones of various American, European, and Soviet tubes.

I'm currently listening to the evening English broadcast of Radio Habana Cuba as I type this post. It's sort of fitting.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 15, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
That's gorgeous

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

That's gorgeous

Well, according to someone in the GBS china thread it was made in 1979 and they're a dime a dozen on Chinese auction sites. I knew the latter was true, but the date codes on the parts in this one all point to 1968 being a more likely production date. I don't care if they're worthless in China, since I don't think very many Chinese tube radios, of any model or year, ever made it to Northeast Ohio.

Mostly, I'm impressed by the build quality. It's overbuilt in some ways, chassis, audio stage, coils, transformers; and really crude in other ways, eg, a wire antenna, which the US abandoned by the mid 30's and the rest of the world abandoned by the late 40's.

It even has an audio input jack on the back.

Also, unlike most of the eastern block radios I own made for domestic consumption, the shortwave bands haven't been either intentionally disabled, or weakened via intentionally poor tuning of the oscillator coils.
I guess that the PRC really didn't care about VOA broadcasts, since most of the population didn't know english.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 15, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Haha yeah I was wondering about the shortwave

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Haha yeah I was wondering about the shortwave

Also, the poster in the GBS thread basically shrugged it all off saying the radio was built in 1979 for western export.

Nobody in the English speaking world would buy a tube table radio in 1979, no matter how cheap it was.

You could buy a portable color TV set for well under $250USD at that point.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 15, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MullardEL34 posted:

Also, the poster in the GBS thread basically shrugged it all off saying the radio was built in 1979 for western export.

Nobody in the English speaking world would buy a tube table radio in 1979, no matter how cheap it was.

You could buy a portable color TV set for well under $250USD at that point.

You have to understand that in 1979, no one in China had any idea about what life was like in the rest of the world. Most Chinese people thought that China was the pinnacle of civilization akin to North Korean propaganda. To them, a radio was a luxury item and you can see soon after on that site I posted they move towards more modern portable radios.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

four rounds forever

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
Gah I have to stop browsing the Post before bed, now I am too angry to sleep

quote:

The university's student union thwarted a planned visit to the campus by about 100 PLA garrison soldiers stationed here for a ball game and other social activities, for no reason other than that it was the PLA.
"The garrison is supposed to observe its sole duty of defending the city, not join social activities." In other words, I despise you, but make sure you protect me from being nuked.

http://m.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/1797857/real-reason-hong-kong-students-fear-and-loathing-pla

Chugani can gently caress off and die. "The students opposed the SS for no other reason than they were Nazis!" :qq:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Imperialist Dog posted:

http://m.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/1797857/real-reason-hong-kong-students-fear-and-loathing-pla

Chugani can gently caress off and die. "The students opposed the SS for no other reason than they were Nazis!" :qq:

If something similar happened at a local university in Montreal preventing the Black Watch from joining social activities for the same stated reasons I'd be pretty outraged.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

If something similar happened at a local university in Montreal preventing the Black Watch from joining social activities for the same stated reasons I'd be pretty outraged.

This is stupid. It is not the same, your comparisons are ridiculous. First off, the PLA are not a local force - they're imported as a show of force. The black watch are a local regiment and have been local to their area for a long time.

Secondly, they're not "joining social activities", they're there to serve as a propaganda tool.

You really haven't kept up to date with the thread's criticism of PRC bootlickers, and it shows.

Ceciltron fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 16, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Imperialist Dog posted:

According to my viewing of Tarantino movies, the Frenchies were pretty friendly to the SS officers.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ceciltron posted:

This is stupid. It is not the same, your comparisons are ridiculous. First off, the PLA are not a local force - they're imported as a show of force. The black watch are a local regiment and have been ilocal to their area for a long time.

Secondly, they're not "joining social activities", they're there to serve as a propaganda tool.

You really haven't kept up to date with the thread's criticism of PRC bootlickers, and it shows.

The Canadian armed forces could be construed as an 'imported show of force' within Quebec by hard nationalists, its easily comparable. Viewing the PLA as the loving SS is the ridiculous comparison.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hong Kongers are literally being sent to the gas chambers by the PLA, though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Canadian armed forces could be construed as an 'imported show of force' within Quebec by hard nationalists, its easily comparable. Viewing the PLA as the loving SS is the ridiculous comparison.

Yeah, they're more like enforcers of an authoritarian regime rather than enforcers of a totalitarian regime.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah, they're more like enforcers of an authoritarian regime rather than enforcers of a totalitarian regime.

I'm going to assume you believe this is equally the case for all militaries? They'd still be there and doing those things even if the PRC had democratic elections.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

But the Canadian Armed Forces include people from Quebec, and Quebec has the opportunity to be represented in the military (if they aren't in fact). And I don't know the actual situation but I'd be surprised if the Canadian Armed Forces didn't have activities in French to include Quebeckers.

Hong Kongers are not allowed to join the PLA. Ever. Every member of the PLA garrison is a mainlander literally occupying the territory. The PLA has no activities in Cantonese.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Jeoh posted:

Hong Kongers are literally being sent to the gas chambers by the PLA, though.

Sewer gas.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm going to assume you believe this is equally the case for all militaries? They'd still be there and doing those things even if the PRC had democratic elections.

Well no, because there are militaries that aren't controlled by authoritarian states? This isn't hard to get

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bloodnose posted:

But the Canadian Armed Forces include people from Quebec, and Quebec has the opportunity to be represented in the military (if they aren't in fact). And I don't know the actual situation but I'd be surprised if the Canadian Armed Forces didn't have activities in French to include Quebeckers.

Hong Kongers are not allowed to join the PLA. Ever. Every member of the PLA garrison is a mainlander literally occupying the territory. The PLA has no activities in Cantonese.

If you look at the example of Austria-Hungary policies if they were allowed wouldn't they end up serving in Manchuria or the border of Mongolia? Regardless, some googling seems to imply that this is more of a legal grey area that Beijing hasn't bothered or gotten around to clear up because of HK's special status; do you have a source that can explain fully as to why that is the case as some sort of deliberate policy to segregate HK'ers?

So you do not object to US troops being stationed on Okinawa?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I would understand if some Okinawans didn't want to knock a ball around with US troops if that's what you're getting at

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

do you have a source that can explain fully as to why that is the case as some sort of deliberate policy to segregate HK'ers?

The official explanation is that the mainland's military service law does not apply to Hong Kong. This is generally seen as A Good Thing, because the law refers ostensibly to conscription, although China in practice has as much conscription as the US does, a de facto all volunteer force.

My unofficial take is that because the People's Liberation Army is a Party apparatus, and not an organ of the People's Republic of China, and Hong Kongers are ineligible to join the Communist Party of China, they don't and won't have the requisite cultural and political background to serve in the same way that a mainlander would.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Raenir Salazar posted:

The famous authoritarian regime of Canada.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The famous authoritarian regime of Canada.

Give Harper time.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\

WarpedNaba posted:

Give Harper time.

I am very happy of the opportunity, thanks to Harper changing the residency rule from five year absence to unlimited in order to woo expat business Canadians, to vote against him in the next election.

Anyway, have a giant protest in China. I suppose we should all cheer the motherland for not sending in the PLA to mow them down as the police are handling that. Apparently County X is jealous and began a riot because County Y gets an airport, transport infrastructure, and now a railway line that for some reason diverts a straight track into the county and then back again. Oh and County Y is the birthplace of Deng Xiaoping.

http://revolution-news.com/china-massive-protest-in-linshui-intense-repression-and-resistance/

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bloodnose posted:

The official explanation is that the mainland's military service law does not apply to Hong Kong. This is generally seen as A Good Thing, because the law refers ostensibly to conscription, although China in practice has as much conscription as the US does, a de facto all volunteer force.

My unofficial take is that because the People's Liberation Army is a Party apparatus, and not an organ of the People's Republic of China, and Hong Kongers are ineligible to join the Communist Party of China, they don't and won't have the requisite cultural and political background to serve in the same way that a mainlander would.

There have been some senior officers, particularly on the central military commission that have expressed a desire to see Hong Kongers serve in the PLA; sometimes couched in the same type of weird language we see in the US whenever the topic of being more inclusive comes up ("Can city boy Hong Kong kids serve in the Inner Mongolia along with tough country boys?! :monocle:"); also party membership I'm pretty sure is only a requirement for advancement ala in the Soviet system. Heck, there are even Tibetans in the PLA (And if we looked, probably every other recognized ethnic group), so that argument wouldn't be consistent with the current practice imho.

So between the the choice of which intention is the actual one; "We can't trust Hong Kongers (But we can trust Tibetans, Muslims, Mongolians, etc)" and :effort: my bet is on the latter as being the most probable.

Never attribute to malice which could be just as easily attributed to negligence.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I definitely wouldn't call anything the Chinese government does malice. It's all levels of corruption, greed and incompetence.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Or put another way, outside of connected party types who actually joins the PLA? I was certainly under the impression that it's a way out for rural peasants who get a good job, clothes, etc. and maybe get to see some of the world (i.e. other parts of China. Where else would you ever want to go?). HKers aren't going to be any of the former (so no officerships or getting in on that sweet SOE bandwagon) and, as bad as conditions are in HK, I don't see anyone brought up there volunteering for subsistence level wages as a PLA grunt with everything else that entails. I don't see any need for malice when you've got corruption and economic forces to explain the lack of HKers in the PLA.

Of course there's a de facto issue where as long as the perceived distinction between HK and the mainland remains and there are no HKers in the PLA then it's going to be seen as a foreign force. c.f. Northern state Union soldiers placed in the South during reconstruction. They might have been soldiers from the same country but they would definitely have been seen as occupiers.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
HKers who would join the PLA would be those brought to mainland military experience camps as part of "life education" because they went to a pro Beijing school, and then possibly fail their DSE and not want to get another Fortress McJob.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

Yeah I definitely wouldn't call anything the Chinese government does malice. It's all levels of corruption, greed and incompetence.

We'd call that 'Cock-up before Conspiracy', only this time around there's probably also conspiracy :shrug:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Conspiracy to commit corruption, greed and incompetence.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Imperialist Dog posted:

HKers who would join the PLA would be those brought to mainland military experience camps as part of "life education" because they went to a pro Beijing school, and then possibly fail their DSE and not want to get another Fortress McJob.

They also failed joining the HK police before considering the PLA

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chinese puts the American hypocrisy into test as every nation with integrity and critical thinking should do by pointing out the obvious of the American fallacies.

It is shameful that Canadian is flattering American megalomaniac and suppressing the freedom of speech, it demonstrates Canada is a USA lackey that is proud of licking USA's behind by ignoring freedom of speech and democracy, Canada is not trustworthy and a warmonger accomplice,

The world despise Canada's hypocrisy, and they exclude Canada from UNSC for the last thirty years as punishment; the world should also exclude Canada from any meaningful international forums for good, the world does not need such lackey to pollute the freedom of speech environment that dares to expose the ugly face of the Empire of Chaos and shame it publicly like the Chinese did.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Bwuh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
I think he's working on competing with angel opportunity's performances in the china.txt GBS thread.