Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Man benzos.and obeer go together like 2 pees k a pod. Before anyone worries, I took one of those free xanax in the rare nights I have insomnia and they don't hook me as anything other thank a good night pill. Cracked a beer out of haviy, first g in go the past 2 da6sbefen, made it like three slugs in and realized 5his poo poo doesn't okay around,

Soocmooks like I'm pouring a peer iut

You have a lot of problems, I genuinely worry. I'd give you a hug if I were closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Had a hell of a storm roll thru yesterday and last night. Pretty sure the router is fried (no power, outlet is good). The wireless access point for the UVerse is dead. I've got Xfiniti Internet and UVerse TV and nothing is working.

Awesome

E: walked outside to check the house for a lightning strike and it looks like a tree about 4-5 meters away from the ATT box next to the sidewalk got hit. Pieces of the tree are on my roof about 60 feet away

Tide fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 16, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

I spent 11 hours on a creaper under a clapped out limousine we couldnt lift on a rack today. gently caress Cadillac rear shocks. And then the brake line broke near the rear axle while bleeding the brakes after doing CPR on the front. And caddys use some hosed up thread for line fittings no one had so of course i had to flare line all while having to eat the whole thing thing cause the owner couldnt imagine that a 96 Brougham that done 250,000 miles on Chicago streets would have rusty brake lines. So then I went to replace the line all the way back from the combination valve and wouldnt you know, shaking the combination valve around hosed up the line going to the right front. I said gently caress it. Compression fittings all the way. Soaked in brake fluid, I tilted my head and no joke rust chunks fell out. Easily made it into the top 5 shittiest days of being a mechanic. How were your pizza runs today STR?

Edit: Oh it wasnt even like a company limo. Some dude bought it for nothing at auction just so he can pay some guy in drugs probably to drive him to the strip club on fridays. And yea, he "needed" it tonight.

I feel your pain. I too am a Chicago land mechanic. I was under a 96 cummins ram doing a starter and literally had rust and mud falling from my head till I showered. Then yesterday I had to do front struts on a 97 previa. WHICH HAS A loving HARDLINE WRAPPED AROUND THE loving STRUTS...... But some how my rustomancer training is paying off. I got all four fittings loose and only had to use a vice grip on one. And they all went back in with a line wrench....

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Missed the drat opening laps :argh: Much better view of the race from home but holy poo poo you miss out on everything else not being there. It's a massive ~48 hour party that I will never forget. I need to go back. There's a loving BENTLEY in the top 10 Glickenhaus isn't doing so great :( There's also a Viper out there running around.

928 has a new alternator which seems to be working. Went to start working on the VW (replace front rotors), should have known better than to trust the dealership recommendation to replace them. Sure they have some wear but they're loving fine. Taking a race break then I should start tearing into the cooling system on the E30.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 16, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rhyno posted:

I just want a small little coupe with a fuckton of power and rwd, is that too much to ask?

Put a hardtop on the NC and swap in a 2.5L. Problem solved.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Phone posted:

Put a hardtop on the NC and swap in a 2.5L. Problem solved.

I so bad want to get an NB coupe body from Japan, convert the interior to LHD and put an LS something in it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Coredump posted:

I so bad want to get an NB coupe body from Japan, convert the interior to LHD and put an LS something in it.

Me too, but I wouldn't even have to convert to LHD. Such a shame they didn't export the coupe body.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Missed the drat opening laps :argh: Much better view of the race from home but holy poo poo you miss out on everything else not being there. It's a massive ~48 hour party that I will never forget. I need to go back. There's a loving BENTLEY in the top 10 Glickenhaus isn't doing so great :(

928 has a new alternator which seems to be working. Went to start working on the VW (replace front rotors), should have known better than to trust the dealership recommendation to replace them. Sure they have some wear but they're loving fine. Taking a race break then I should start tearing into the cooling system on the E30.

Couldn't get the stream on the official site to load half an hour before the start (needed to log in?, then it was marked "private". So I got a stream from http://nurburgring.org.uk/n24.php and then switched to the youtube stream at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkYITD0mNEE

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 16, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fo3 posted:

Couldn't get the stream on the official site to load half an hour before the start (needed to log in?, then it was marked "private". So I got a stream from http://nurburgring.org.uk/n24.php and then switched to the youtube stream at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkYITD0mNEE
Not too surprising, they try to get it up a half hour before but sometimes have issues.

Rain has started as expected, should be getting interesting. Some nice live timing here - https://livetiming.tracktime.info/nurburgring#screen-results

Pretty good chance I'm not getting poo poo done this weekend...I've got a race to watch.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

The motorcycle I really want costs as much as a 996, so I know your pain.

Then again I commute on a 13yr old bike with 47k on it and I ride about 1k/month, so I guess I COULD justify it...

I could afford a cheap bike, but cheap bikes aren't really cheap in the long run, so I might as well just save up for a motard.

Don't you ride a ZRX? Only other bike I'd consider if I could find one is a 550 Zephyr so I could turn it into a mini ZRX. For some reason though they seem non existent, very few of them out there for sale and none around me. I love the ZRX but it's just too big for what I need.

MustardFacial posted:

I rode my bike for the first time ever today. The thing is unstable as poo poo, and I keep forgetting that there is a back brake but it was pretty decent fun overall. I may do this again sometime. It sounds pretty cool too.

That bike is awesome, you could convert it to a little super moto and it would be a lot more stable, or just get some better tires for the stock rims.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So AI (STR??), what is the best router on the market? Need the magical unicorn of speed plus distance. If I need to pick up extenders, that's fine. The router is almost in the middle of the house, but the garage is 4 walls away.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The 2.4GHz N channel on my Asus RT-AC66U carries through 6 walls and 100ft into the parking lot of my condo, none of my routers before this one managed that reliably. Plus you get the futureproof 802.11AC (though the 5GHz range is inherently much less, and nothing comes with an AC card yet but getting 800+ mbps over wireless when you do get one is cool as gently caress). Find a refurb one, they usually go for less than the equivalent terrible D-links and Linksys.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

You have a lot of problems, I genuinely worry. I'd give you a hug if I were closer.

Hey man, I got 99 problems.but a bitch ain't one :radcat:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Belatedly jumping in on the Mad Max Fury Road love.

HOLY poo poo THAT MOVIE IS AWESOME!

I love that they actually built all of those cars and did stunts for real, including explosions, and I love that the only stuff that obviously had to be CGI was when people got thrown off cars at high speed and mangled. So much goodness in that movie, all action, no bullshit.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

I could afford a cheap bike, but cheap bikes aren't really cheap in the long run, so I might as well just save up for a motard.

Don't you ride a ZRX? Only other bike I'd consider if I could find one is a 550 Zephyr so I could turn it into a mini ZRX. For some reason though they seem non existent, very few of them out there for sale and none around me. I love the ZRX but it's just too big for what I need.

Yeah, and it's fuckin awesome. It was a cheap bike, at 3k, so I can't complain.

But what I really want is the new 1290 Super Adventure. 21 grand though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Holy poo poo, makes the bike I want (WR250X) seem cheap as hell haha.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Holy poo poo, makes the bike I want (WR250X) seem cheap as hell haha.

Like I said, it's more than a lot of cars. But, I commute five days a week roughly 90 miles round trip, ride for fun on the weekend, and average well over 12k/yr.

If you can't tell, I am trying to justify it so hard. Hopefully next spring when the wife is out of school and working, I can make it work.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Speaking of bikes, I really gotta sell mine. Who wants a Buell Ulysses for three grand?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
No one.

Maybe clutchpuck.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I tried to post from dialup about how bad posting from dialup is, but submitting the comment timed out.

Also, excess vehicle chat: anybody want an 86 Crown Vic for $2300? RUNS GOOD JUST NEEDS TUNE-UP, CLEAN SALVAGE TITLE, RAN WHEN PARKED, OVER $100,000 INVESTED

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I tried to post from dialup about how bad posting from dialup is, but submitting the comment timed out.

Also, excess vehicle chat: anybody want an 86 Crown Vic for $2300? RUNS GOOD JUST NEEDS TUNE-UP, CLEAN SALVAGE TITLE, RAN WHEN PARKED, OVER $100,000 INVESTED

pontiac mazda lexus is350 wrx sti bmw sea cucumber yenko lowered 37x12.50r15 freightliner vespa bose asus triumph delorean cheese grater nike mustang vtec e30 golf camaro ss w212 nitrous cummins xbox rick moranis detomaso viper whirlpool pioneer rb26

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Tommychu posted:

pontiac mazda lexus is350 wrx sti bmw sea cucumber yenko lowered 37x12.50r15 freightliner vespa bose asus triumph delorean cheese grater nike mustang vtec e30 golf camaro ss w212 nitrous cummins xbox rick moranis detomaso viper whirlpool pioneer rb26

what's the lowest price you'll accept??

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Tommychu posted:

Lol you scrub. You forgot "drift".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

what's the lowest price you'll accept??

Got that one the other day. After he had offered $1000.

I'm not sure you can buy ANY running car out here for $1000. Certainly not one this clean.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

El Jebus posted:

Lol you scrub. You forgot "drift".

NEED GONE

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tommychu posted:

The 2.4GHz N channel on my Asus RT-AC66U carries through 6 walls and 100ft into the parking lot of my condo, none of my routers before this one managed that reliably. Plus you get the futureproof 802.11AC (though the 5GHz range is inherently much less, and nothing comes with an AC card yet but getting 800+ mbps over wireless when you do get one is cool as gently caress). Find a refurb one, they usually go for less than the equivalent terrible D-links and Linksys.

Seconding this. I bought this one last week and haven't had any issues. I am still running stock, it's dd-wrt compatible if that's your thing.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got a Netgear R7000 that I am really happy with. I actually turned off the 2.4Ghz radio since I get good 5Ghz signal everywhere in my house and garage. The furthest corner of my garage is about a 100ft, two walls, and a floor away from the router. The Netgear firmware and web gui are actually pretty good. I did switch to dd-wrt just because I wanted to and configured it to just be an access point as I got an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite in preparation for Gbit internet service. I have a few friends with the same Netgear router who are all happy with them. The Asus equivalent (RT-AC68U) should basically be the same and very good as well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ozmiander posted:

God bless short sales.

Yeah, I'm not in a huge hurry, so keeping an eye out for that must-have deal while my savings grow. If I can put down $10k, and have another $10k or so leeway for the immediate repairs that one always finds in a cheap house, I'll be comfortable.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I'm not in a huge hurry, so keeping an eye out for that must-have deal while my savings grow. If I can put down $10k, and have another $10k or so leeway for the immediate repairs that one always finds in a cheap house, I'll be comfortable.

I am personally looking near the Ames area, but in the small towns around it. There has been some drat good deals lately, there was a nice 3 bed 2 bath with a 3 car garage for sale in Huxely for 140,000. And the garage had plenty of electrical service.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, and it's fuckin awesome. It was a cheap bike, at 3k, so I can't complain.

I want a ZRX in the worst fuckin way. My buddies dad has a 1200R with kerkers that gives me a rager every time.

I'm going through bike withdrawal since I sold my SV during the move. Gonna save up a couple commission checks and pick something up in the next few months.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InitialDave posted:

Yes. Ignore all George Lucas' navel-gazing mutterings about how he changes films to better tell the story how we wanted to originally and couldn't, George Miller takes that principle and just kerbstomps it into the ground. It is two hours of unrelenting action in the Mad Max world as it should be.

It's certainly one of the best action movies ever, and it makes a statement of intent which it actually follows up and meets in a way that's been sorely lacking in so many films.

Plus is is the one weird trick MRAs hate.
Unfortunately I promised my little brother we'd see it together and he's not in town until next weekend.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Mad Max :aaaaa: Even if it was an awful film it would be amazing just for the vehicles. But it's also a loving amazing film. Pitch perfect 2 was also pretty decent :gay:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love the names they came up with for the vehicles.

"Gigahorse" and "Doofwagon", you can tell they had the time of their life designing and building those crazy awesome rides.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

stump posted:

Mad Max :aaaaa: Even if it was an awful film it would be amazing just for the vehicles. But it's also a loving amazing film. Pitch perfect 2 was also pretty decent :gay:

Is it bad I'm going to see Pitch Perfect 2 before Mad Max? :gay:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

:woop: jumping on the mad max :bandwagon:

Seeing it tonight with the missus, apparently only in 3D unless I wanted to see it at 4:00 pm, went all out and seeing it in a THX DOLBY ATMOS 3D AVX or whatever all that junk is called, should look spectacular. :allears:

In other news, new job is awesome but it's so close to home the oil doesn't get fully up to temp on the commute :firstworldproblems:

Oh well, just have to remember to go for a nice spirited drive every other afternoon to make sure everything gets a good work out :getin:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

Seconding this. I bought this one last week and haven't had any issues. I am still running stock, it's dd-wrt compatible if that's your thing.

I thought about DD-WRT but honestly the stock firmware is fantastic (for my fairly generic application anyway), I'm not sure I'd ever want to switch.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

NitroSpazzz posted:

Reminder to everyone who enjoys endurance racing. Nürburgring 24 hour race starts at 10am EDT today. Cheer for the Glickenhaus SCG003, they're down to one car after a crash in practice yesterday.

Official live stream will be - http://www.24h-rennen.de/en/live/
Radio LeMans will have a stream as well - http://www.radiolemans.com/

1 hour 38 minutes to start...

Thanks for posting this, I keep spacing about the endurance races and they're a lot of fun to have on in the background.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Echoing all the goons about mad max, that movie is loving legit. All the cool vehicles and the culture that is just there and presented and not explained really kept me engaged. Awesome film. Also, was that little dwarf guy Eric the midget from Howard stern? He looked and sounded like etm

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pham Nuwen posted:

drat the Crown Vic likes to break its rear end loose in the rain. I had an rear end in a top hat-puckering moment leaving the grocery store when I did my usual "gun it as you swing out the driveway" routine.

Yeah they do. Mine gets all kinds of tail-happy with the traction control off. Limited slip on mine is a contributor.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Man benzos.and obeer go together like 2 pees k a pod. Before anyone worries, I took one of those free xanax in the rare nights I have insomnia and they don't hook me as anything other thank a good night pill. Cracked a beer out of haviy, first g in go the past 2 da6sbefen, made it like three slugs in and realized 5his poo poo doesn't okay around,

Soocmooks like I'm pouring a peer iut

What the gently caress?

Edit: going to see Fury Road in a couple hours, in Real3D X-treme(!), in a theater with reserved recliner seating. You guys better not be lying about how good it is.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
gently caress me, if I get one more not-delivered package that's reported as delivered by the USPS I'M gonna go postal.

• Locked thread