Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i didn't find it to be thought provoking or emotionally engaging in the way that some of you guys did, but I still tremendously enjoyed it. More of a mindless action flick, but the best of its genre that i can remember. the pacing was just next level.

e: i still think mad max ii and this are pretty perfect, but for completely different reasons and that's one of the most compelling things about the film in contrast to the rest of the series. Road Warrior just has this awesome sense of dread, humor, and escalatory tension, where as Fury Road was just one big release. It's like all of Max's anguish and pain that built up in the previous films just burst into this one film. Can't think of another narrative arc that's ostensibly pure climax. Felt a lot like a better done Crank movie.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

It was a great movie, if you don't like it move to Antarctica because it is a work of art.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

AlternateAccount posted:

Was the rig's gas pedal.... one of those things you put your foot in to size it at the shoe store?!

Haha yes, I noticed this too! Brilliant.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah, all of the little details of the set design were marvelous. The shoe sizer was also one of my favorites, and also Furiosa's backup pistol being hidden inside of a skull. All of the skull imagery was cool and didn't feel overdone either.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Alan Smithee posted:

people in GBS were saying dont do 3d, but then again GBS. Verdict?

Saw it in 3D, honestly pretty drat good in 3D, like they use it as a gimmick all of once and the rest of the time it only helps make the scale of the destruction stand out. If you like 3D because it makes really big things look really big, you'll like it in this movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The Casualty posted:

It was in the trailer, too. I was surprised to hear it because normally the trailer soundtracks don't have a lot of crossover to the films themselves.

The music box played a different song in the trailer too. What did it play?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Holy gently caress this movie.

The scene when they're holding off the bikers from the truck when Max and Furiosa finally start working together. (The scene during which the music linked below is playing):tviv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYnKu8RYAU

Beautiful movie with magnificent, top notch action. I really hope that this won't end up being 2015's "Edge of Tomorrow", since I wouldn't mind 4 more Mad Max movies.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

effectual posted:

The music box played a different song in the trailer too. What did it play?

One of the trailers used the Dies Irae from Verdi's requiem. It's a loving amazing piece and that is one of the highlights.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of my favorite little exchanges in the movie was when Max is on his way to "retaliate first."

Furiosa: "What if you're not back [when the the rig is free?]"
Max: "[hesitates] You drive on."
The way he says it like "Is that even a question?" was great.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Lotish posted:

One of my favorite little exchanges in the movie was when Max is on his way to "retaliate first."

That's not his blood

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah, all of the little details of the set design were marvelous. The shoe sizer was also one of my favorites, and also Furiosa's backup pistol being hidden inside of a skull. All of the skull imagery was cool and didn't feel overdone either.

I really loved the random baddy who had a give way sign as a shield. I had no idea Aussi road signs look the same as the ones we have here in the UK. I got a kick out of that as I'm not used to seeing familiar everyday things like that in big action films.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Dr Scoofles posted:

I really loved the random baddy who had a give way sign as a shield. I had no idea Aussi road signs look the same as the ones we have here in the UK. I got a kick out of that as I'm not used to seeing familiar everyday things like that in big action films.

Him and the guy on the pole with a set of electric hedge trimmers were my favourite background guys.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Finished my Mad-Maxathon (in the order 2,4,1 and finally 3). I would say that they're all good though very different films. Mad Max wasn't as gory as I remembered it being - my main memory from when I watched it aged 13-14 was of Goose staggering down the road - I thought that that had happened after he was burnt, not before.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Saw it in 2D, then 45 minutes later saw it again in 3D. There are a few shoddy moments and it's definitely harder to focus on the faster action scenes, but there's some genuinely amazing 3D effects in there as well. Particularly in the sand storm, there's a shot from the passenger seat looking through the windshield where the depth was so perfectly done it was breathtaking. It gave me the same sensation as when I wore the Oculus Rift for the first time.
Other than that few perfect seconds and the hilarious, clearly intentionally cheesy bit near the end, I'd say the 3D is perfectly skippable. See it in 2D first, and if you wanna see it again, spring for 3D.

Then shoot for Dbox like I'm planning to.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Is this movie as much of a financial flop as people are projecting?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I think they generally wait more than 72 hours before determining that.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yaws posted:

Is this movie as much of a financial flop as people are projecting?

We only have the Friday/midnight Thursday receipts, which are sitting at 16.77 million. That's respectable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus this is definitely the kind of movie that will dominate home video/VOD and do great outside of the US.

Just want to remind people that for a couple of years George Miller was attached to direct Batman vs. Superman: World's Finest as well as Justice League and WB blew it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Effectronica posted:

We only have the Friday/midnight Thursday receipts, which are sitting at 16.77 million. That's respectable.

It's projected that it'll finish the weekend at about 30+ million in the US. It'll do well worldwide though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
^^ MEDIOCRE!

Effectronica posted:

Yeah, opening weekend projections for Fury Road now seem to be in the $40+ million range. People seem to expect that it will blow up outside the US too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There was definitely a theme of human bondage going on through the film:

The wives' chastity belts
The facemask on Max
The shackles between Max and Nux
And with Furiosa, I would say it is her mechanical arm. There are several scenes where she doesn't have it on not because she lost it, but because she chose to remove it. Rather than be vulnerable, she's actually extremely feisty and more than Max's equal in a fight.
Even Immortan Joe apparently needed his mask to live.

I'd like to think that Furiosa's mechanical arm kind of represents the measures you have to take in that society; giving up/making due with losing flesh for machinery. Max finally getting his facemask off helped him start his path to humanity (gotta say the parts where he is frantically trying to tear it off with a metal file were pretty funny, like a feral dog trying to chew off a collar or something). The chastity belts were the one thing the wives chose to leave behind in the desert.

Some more interesting observations:
The people of the citadel were 'marked' with that brand. Furiosa's was prominently displayed early in the film. But you'll notice Max never actually got marked, he managed to run away and I don't think they actually branded him afterward. It feels like it illustrates what an outside Max is, that even being captured and enslaved he's still a lone wolf.

The War Rig symbolically lost its steering wheel and eventually got replaced by the Bullet Farmer's steering wheel.

What was the language that the Buzzards spoke? Russian?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Lotish posted:

This. Such a simple SIMPLE set of lines but couldn't have been done any better.

There was so much detail and love put in to this movie it is absolutely mind blowing. It has been eating my brain since I finished watching it 13 hours ago and I really want to see it again. An absolute masterpiece.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

sean10mm posted:

^^ MEDIOCRE!

Yeah, opening weekend projections for Fury Road now seem to be in the $40+ million range. People seem to expect that it will blow up outside the US too.

R-Rated sequel to a 30-year old franchise. Seems like a solid opening to me.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

qbert posted:

R-Rated sequel to a 30-year old franchise. Seems like a solid opening to me.
Yeah I can see it gaining momentum as people see it and tell their friends & coworkers, "No, it really is that good." Memorial Day weekend could be huge.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I see a ton of 3d movies. Heres my short list of movies that did 3d well, as in its as if the director gave a poo poo about 3d.
UP
Coriline
Pacific Rim
Mad Max Fury Road

The Rest be just gimmicky

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh yeah, I just remembered another thing: when Nux comes back from fixing the engine just in time to see Max about to fall and he kicks him into another vehicle.

The action / flow between characters as crazy poo poo is happening is so loving good. Like they perfectly have "all characters are doing their own thing and there's no such thing as dead weight". Everyone plays a part and they cross every now and then doing badass poo poo.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Junkie Disease posted:

I see a ton of 3d movies. Heres my short list of movies that did 3d well, as in its as if the director gave a poo poo about 3d.
UP
Coriline
Pacific Rim
Mad Max Fury Road

The Rest be just gimmicky

Gravity and Hugo used it well too. And I think Dredd (in theaters) had one squib that ran down the letterbox.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think my actual favorite part of this movie is that the last two directed by Miller were Happy Feet 1 and 2.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yep, the movie is basically perfect. Not flawless, but the only thing I could say is a tiny bit of ADR work was a bit off and other incredibly silly nits. I wouldn't change anything. It's great side by side with the Road Warrior instead of rebooting it per se. It's got a great set of characters alongside. I love that they didn't take the bait on having Max be an easily swayed hero. I loved him being haunted by his failures. I loved that they teased his car to him but didn't give it back to him. I loved that they gave Furiosa the satisfying face to face with Joe.

It was post apocalyptic but beautiful, the action was so heavily practical stunts that it never failed to keep me completely engaged. They had that total confidence in their stunt and editing work to not overplay slowmo.

So drat happy.

effectual posted:

Gravity and Hugo used it well too. And I think Dredd (in theaters) had one squib that ran down the letterbox.

Yeah, Gravity is my top of the list favorite 3D with Up second. Especially with how they destroyed the barrier between establishing shot and traditional shot, it's just the perfect scenario for inventive 3D.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 16, 2015

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I was hoping having a full night's rest will help me comprehend Fury Road. Instead I had a dream where I was in the middle of a vehicular chase in a color saturated desert to save my baby from the bad guys chasing me. Woke up. Sad the dream ended, then promptly went gently caress yeah gotta see Fury Road again :black101:

Ideally wherever I see this movie next has an excellent sound system. The sound mixing and the soundtrack really made me feel like I was in the movie.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Panfilo posted:

But you'll notice Max never actually got marked, he managed to run away and I don't think they actually branded him afterward. It feels like it illustrates what an outside Max is, that even being captured and enslaved he's still a lone wolf.

Am I misremembering? I'm pretty sure you see him with the brand.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I think you might be remembering Furiosa walking by shortly after the attempted branding, because she was clearly branded. I think they decided he was only worthwhile for blood and so they didn't need to brand him.

Edit: But I do recall them tattooing on him that he was a universal donor.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 16, 2015

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Charlize Theron said in an interview that Miller didn't set out to make a feminist film. What he does is simply not care about the gender of the heroes.

I'm curious as to why you'd phrase Miller's words this way. Every woman in this movie absolutely needed to be female, and likewise, every man in this movie needed to be male. When you say stuff like "he simply didn't care about gender" you're really trivializing the creative process.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

You are. They tattoo him, but the guy approaching him with the branding iron is what makes Max start fighting the War Boys and running off. They never actually have a chance to brand him. Unless maybe they do it off screen when he's in the cage, but we don't ever actually see him actually get branded, nor do we ever see a branding mark on him.

Strand
Dec 11, 2008

Maybe someone with low self-esteem and slightly larger breasts.
Just came back from it. I don't have any particular reverence for the other Mad Max movies, so think this one's the top of the heap by a fairly wide margin.

I just hope this movie will act as a future action yardstick that the likes of Michael Bay or Zack Snyder can look at, and use to reassess their work. Walking out of Fury Road, it almost felt like the scales had fallen from my eyes, and I realised that this past decade had been feeding me increasingly soulless, bland and unambitious products masquerading as action films and I didn't even notice it. It reminded me that these sorts of big blockbusters used to be fun, earnest and a little hosed up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
You see Furiosa's brand right after they catch him again so its kind of confusing

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Batham posted:

Holy gently caress this movie.

The scene when they're holding off the bikers from the truck when Max and Furiosa finally start working together. (The scene during which the music linked below is playing):tviv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYnKu8RYAU

Beautiful movie with magnificent, top notch action. I really hope that this won't end up being 2015's "Edge of Tomorrow", since I wouldn't mind 4 more Mad Max movies.

I really hope this movie's soundtrack becomes iconic in pop culture. A lot of movies and TV shows, I have trouble remembering their original music even immediately after viewing. This song? I can pull it out of my head any time I want.

quote:

I'm curious as to why you'd phrase Miller's words this way. Every woman in this movie absolutely needed to be female, and likewise, every man in this movie needed to be male. When you say stuff like "he simply didn't care about gender" you're really trivializing the creative process.

It's not a matter of phrasing Miller and Theron's words that way. Direct quote from Charlize Theron:

"I think George didn't have a feminist agenda up his sleeve....George has this innate understanding that women are just as complex and interesting as men. Through his need and want for the truth, he actually made an incredible feminist movie."

Miller himself has commented that he initially didn't have the role of Furiosa in the script, but came to add on a female hero after realizing that one would be necessary for the specific goal Max was trying to achieve with rescuing the wives. He never set out to make something feminist, but did set out to make a movie with female action heroes and major roles. The movie is feminist, but only because of how skillfully Miller handled it. He never had the movie say "Women are just as tough as men" or have anyone act shocked that a woman beat them in battle or anything like that. Furiosa is a strong woman, not strong because she's a woman. Tom Hardy even said that Miller is the kind of guy who would make a transgender action hero, not to specifically make a pro-trans film but because he wanted to have a transgender character.

It's basically a difference in motivation. He made a feminist film not because he specifically wanted to make something to advocate feminism, but because he took a story based heavily around women and treated them all as fairly as the men.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Ape Agitator posted:

I loved that they teased his car to him but didn't give it back to him.

I love the couple times he growled "THAT'S MY CAR" when the Interceptor was just outside his grasp. It fit within the property theme perfectly.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I adored this movie, simply amazing and humane. But I have to say, the horn touting over the feminist elements seems more reactionary than anything, as they seem to ignore the whole for just one aspect of it in order to fuel the argument against MRA hatred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Viginti posted:

I had some real problems with the movie but I still struggle to say it's anything less than a good time for two hours. You're going to need to speak that grief if you want us to believe you're doing anything but griefing.

The movie could not decide if it wanted to take itself seriously or not.
The sped up scenes felt cartoonish, like Benny Hill should have been playing every time.
Max suffers PTSD, smacks his head, and that leads to him catching a crossbow bolt?
Anything involving Nux was terrible. The very, very forced romance between him and the red head? No reason for it, none. The idea that he's helpful and trustworthy suddenly? Larry and Barry? OK?
I would quote a guy above saying that the action scenes had weight to them, but I'm on mobile. No, no they didn't. They were certainly creative, but there was zero consequence for anything but the last battle of the rig. They took a buzz saw to the tires with no ramifications, what was the point of having a convoy?
Why have Norton pull an Australian Batman accent when no one else even comes close to it?
Speaking of Norton, the chuckle grunts he does after saying his name were so ridiculous I laughed when it happened. Terrible delivery.

There's probably more I disliked, but I don't understand the acclaim it's getting.

• Locked thread