Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The yeti had a decent build, it just ran into the wrong enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 1, Fight 8:siren:

Sorry this fight is out of order, I had to run it about 20 times.

Run gnome 2 ur mommy is a male Dark Gnome fighter managed by Bad Munki.
Gob son of Gob is a male Goblin fighter managed by Afriscipio.

For some reason, Gob is faster than Gnome. It might be the big huge blue dagger that the little gnome is carrying.

Run gnome 2 ur mommy swings and misses. Gob son of Gob doesn't miss. However, he uses the wrong end of his spear. Ah well, still a good bruise!

Run gnome 2 ur mommy slashes Gob in the neck with the adamantium dagger! That's it folks, the fight is over! Muscle is torn, arteries are open, and the upper spine is shattered!

Wait a minute. Gob stabs the small gnome in the foot with his spear, the dark gnome falls to the floor. How the poo poo is Gob standing? Gob dodges a blow from the downed Gnome, then retaliates by putting his spear through Run gnome 2 ur mommy's kidney!

Run Gnome loses an arm, then passes out from the pain.

We all know how this turns out.

Gob son of Gob takes the dark gnomes head off with his next swing.

Winner: Gob, son of Gob

Combat Log

That was incredible. The last fight with the minotaur and moleman had a 'fractured' spine, but this one specifically says "...shattering the upper spines bone..." so I have no idea how Gob stayed on his feet and didn't die.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
With spines you're looking for the nerve damage. Odd as it seems, you can shatter the bone of the spine without severing the spinal cord.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That's 3 out of 4 ASGADL members out of the tournament already.

Well, Munki didn't lose because of incompetence, that was a decent, if gimmicky, build.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That's it for me today. I'll run the others on Monday and Tuesday.

9 down, 7 to go.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

gently caress this game forever. I cut someone's neck out and it's not enough.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

9 down, 7 to go.

Just before my fight.

rear end in a top hat.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Spermy Smurf posted:

9 down, 7 to go.

:negative: You mean I have to WAIT for my pixelwoman's glorious death?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Neck injuries seem to be much less threatening. An adjustment?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

goatface posted:

Neck injuries seem to be much less threatening. An adjustment?

Lack of luck, and Toady's coding mishaps. Necks are still the go-to sever spot, if you can actually slash hard enough. But for some reason, the spine nerves don't actually work, and you can damage them without disabling the fighter.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Yeah. I remember obliterated necks being fought through last tourney too.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Jazzimus also seriously reduced bone pain this time around. But yeah, a broken spine should leave people prone.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So what I'm hearing here is that I won by TKO, we just need to update the arena site accordingly.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Bad Munki posted:

So what I'm hearing here is that I won by TKO, we just need to update the arena site accordingly.

Dammit, this is the only bet I got right, you can't take this away from me :argh:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think we can agree that there needs to be something done to stop Yetis collapsing every time they stub a toe, but fighting with a shattered vertebrae seems a bit silly.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

goatface posted:

I think we can agree that there needs to be something done to stop Yetis collapsing every time they stub a toe, but fighting with a shattered vertebrae seems a bit silly.

I upped Yetis' toughness significantly for this tournament, but maybe it's still not enough.

I might raise their toughness again for the next tournament if it's warranted, but it SEEMS that with all that size and strength they should have enough advantages already, even if that hasn't been demonstrated in practice.

EDIT: Also, I may run one or two fights this weekend, since Mr. Smurf will be busy with real-life obligations.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 16, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

EDIT: Also, I may run one or two fights this weekend, since Mr. Smurf will be busy with real-life obligations.

See to it that one of them is mine, there was clearly an error there.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I upped Yetis' toughness significantly for this tournament, but maybe it's still not enough.

I might raise their toughness again for the next tournament if it's warranted, but it SEEMS that with all that size and strength they should have enough advantages already, even if that hasn't been demonstrated in practice.

Willpower. It's willpower that increases pain tolerance. Yetis bleed out pretty drat hard, and are fairly resistant to being hit with blunt objects, so no need for extra toughness. You need to Increase their willpower. A lot.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

See to it that one of them is mine, there was clearly an error there.

I'd love to, but I never got around to configuring database journaling and rollback on the site, so that would mean having to go all the way back to the last backup which was almost a week ago, and losing all the fights and bets since then.

EDIT: Oh, it appears that MySQL doesn't even do rollback after a database transaction is committed, and also other nerdy tech stuff. So I guess you're poo poo out of luck. Sorry. :sadwave:

my dad posted:

Willpower. It's willpower that increases pain tolerance. Yetis bleed out pretty drat hard, and are fairly resistant to being hit with blunt objects, so no need for extra toughness. You need to Increase their willpower. A lot.

Well, that might explain it then. I may dial back the toughness slightly and add more willpower. Yetis also have doubly-reduced endurance in the mod which may or may not be affecting things, I might dial that back to a single minus. It will probably require some testing.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 16, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I'd love to, but I never got around to configuring database journaling and rollback on the site, so that would mean having to go all the way back to the last backup which was almost a week ago, and losing all the fights and bets since then.

EDIT: Oh, it appears that MySQL doesn't even do rollback. So I guess you're poo poo out of luck. Sorry. :sadwave:

Lemme at the database for ten minutes, I'll get it alllllll sorted out. :ese:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

Lemme at the database for ten minutes, I'll get it alllllll sorted out. :ese:

I've forgotten the password to it, it was auto-saved into my GUI tool.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, we tried, I guess.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ just run more fights and kiss already

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Probably should just give up on gnomes and yetis for the tournament. I've never seen them not be anything other than free points for their opponent.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I have a lot of money riding on yetis continuing to be giant pussies for this round!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Next tournament I'm making a bite-based gnome.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Spermy Smurf posted:

Winner: Fan Favorite Joss Whedon
Combat Log

Hooray!

Just need to work out how I managed to win that with someone else's Combat Log.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Probably should just give up on gnomes and yetis for the tournament. I've never seen them not be anything other than free points for their opponent.

Yetis maybe, but there were two gnomes in the final last time, and both were among the highest kill counts.

There seems to be much more of a random element to singles competition where one lucky strike can swing a match away from how it 'should' go.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Coward posted:

Hooray!

Just need to work out how I managed to win that with someone else's Combat Log.

Cockmonkey. I knew I was going to screw that up eventually. I will upload the real one...on monday. :shrug:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I'm surprised that there isn't more money backing Bene Elim's fighter...

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

gently caress this game forever. I cut someone's neck out and it's not enough.

Goblin necks are surprisingly tough, it seems.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Ghostwoods posted:

I'm surprised that there isn't more money backing Bene Elim's fighter...
I did make a Yeti...

Also, I'm not actually the most successful manager. I think I'm tied with Anchors on two champions. I've had some luck with making monsters, but I'm really not sure about this one, especially with the comments about Yetis lacking willpower.

Still, I'm hopeful. I really want to get enough champions to turn into an all-stars team.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Bene Elim posted:

I did make a Yeti...

I guess we'll see. My dorfbucks are behind you :D

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Betting should be entirely dependant on how much you like the name.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Winning the TEAM UP champshionship with Bene and Afriscipio was pretty fun. Everyone playing elves/humans with the gimmick 'use your weapon super well'. It gets results.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I was told there would be fights.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was told there would be blood!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Spermy Smurf posted:

I was told there would be fights.

SynthOrange posted:

I was told there would be blood!

So be it. Let there be fights. Let there be blood. Let there be Madden. Let there be Al Michaels.

---

Welcome to this weekend's special edition of Arena Challenge! Live from Sirocco Memorial Gazebo in Syrupleaf, this is Al Michaels, along with my colleague John Madden.

And tonight, Al, I've looked at the fighters, and... and I don't have a good feeling about this match tonight. And I'll tell you why after we introduce the fighters.

In the left corner, [Dolphin Noises] is a female troll managed by Anchors, and she wears an adamantine mail shirt but has no weapon.

Yeah, and this looks a lot like the build that her manager Anchors had to face off against in the finals of the last one-on-one tournament, winning the championship almost a year ago. And although I think that the first round is kind of early to go for adamantine armor on a large fighter, it would generally still be a good, solid build. But I think that it really isn't a good matchup for tonight's opponent.

In the right corner, Tin Can is a female serpentman managed by my dad...

She's managed by your dad?

No, by the poster known as my dad, and I think he uses that moniker just to confuse people, or maybe just to cause Who's On First? jokes to spontaneously happen. Anyway, Tin Can wears an adamantine helm, adamantine gauntlets, a steel breastplate, and steel low boots.

And... and this is why I think it's a bad matchup right here. Because when you see an unarmed troll in the arena, you know it's going to be a wrestling troll, which would normally be an effective build to go up against a fighter that's protected like a tin can, like Tin Can here is. But whenever you see an unarmed serpent man in the arena, or an unarmed serpent woman for that matter, you know the fighter is a biter. Now, bites aren't good at going through armor, but with only one piece of armor on the troll, I think [Dolphin Noises] is in some real trouble here.

And there's the bell, and the fighters charge!

Tin Can is slightly faster than the big lumbering troll out of the gate!

Tin Can immediately lunges to bite, but misses! And the troll responds by grabbing the snakewoman by the neck and squeezing!

Dolphin had better take advantage of this!

But Tin Can slips away and falls to the floor. And from the floor, she sinks her teeth into Dolphin's unprotected right foot!

And this... this right here is exactly what I was afraid of. Now... now, we've seen a troll come back and win after being paralyzed by a snake in the Battle Royale, but in that fight, the troll managed to break the snake's ribs before getting bitten, and the serpentman was unable to finish the larger opponent off. But Tin Can isn't even hurt here, so this match may be over.

Dolphin kicks at Tin Can, but the kick can't penetrate the adamantine armor!

Yeah, kicks aren't going to win this for the troll... she needed to get a joint lock and get it early, and... and, she didn't do that.

Now the paralysis sets in, and Dolphin's muscles lock up! Now Tin Can bites and bites and bites, over and over again, to keep her opponent paralyzed!

Yeah, and... and, even though in this tournament armor has more gaps in it, and even a full set of armor wouldn't provide complete one hundred percent protection here, even a full set of cheap copper armor here would provide enough protection to give Dolphin a chance. I think the adamantine shirt was a mistake.

Now Tin Can continues to bite, over and over, into her opponent's unprotected lower body!

Like I said before, even a cheap set of copper chainmail pants, or maybe even leather, would probably be enough to stop most of this. But without it, it's like Bobby Heenan said during the Battle Royale, it's going to be death by a thousand bites.

Well, it doesn't take a literal thousand bites, but after several dozen bites, [Dolphin Noises] has bled out! This fight is over, and Tin Can advances!

So, what are your thoughts on this match, John?

Well, it went like I thought it would, Al. I know that adamantine provides the ultimate protection that every fighter dreams of having, and I know you lose a lot of points that you'll never get back if you buy cheaper armor and replace it with a better material one piece at a time in the later rounds, and I think Dolphin's build had potential if it were matched up against anything other than an unarmed snakeman in the first round. Now, you don't know your opponent's build going into the first round, but I think any time you're up against a serpent man or serpent woman in the first round, your first priority should be to cover yourself with as much cheap metal armor as you can. Because not getting chewed to death at least gives you a chance. Then your next priority should be a weapon and the skill to use it.

Are snakebites overpowered? Is there anything that can be done about it?

Well, they're very strong in the early rounds. I guess biting skill could be made more expensive for serpentmen, but I don't think that would have affected Tin Can's build as much, since she went with expensive armor, and presumably gave up points in biting to get it. But I don't think that gimping serpentman points, or making armor more expensive just for serpentmen, is the answer either. Because that forces anyone who wants to use a serpentman into a specific build. Maybe serpentmen should have natural skills making them novice strikers and wrestlers, so they won't always go to the bite? I'm not sure.

This is something that might need to be addressed after the tournament, as we've seen serpentman biters dominate three early matches so far this tournament, but it's still yet to be determined just how viable the build is in later rounds, against better-armored opponents. For John Madden, this is Al Michaels, saying goodnight from Sirocco Memorial Gazebo, where Tin Can has defeated [Dolphin Noises]!

Combat Log

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

An unarmed snakeman is just a really big snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
To be perfectly honest, I spend more time thinking about my fighter's name than their build.

• Locked thread