Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Dead Reckoning posted:

You seem really into this siege warfare comparison, so it may behoove you to look up how most sieges ended. The phrase "put to the sword" comes up a lot.

You seem really into apologizing for cops when they behave badly. It may behoove you to take a second or even third look at the things that are happening.

Who am I kidding? We've had a number of these threads before and you always, always support the police. You are a sick individual.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Re: handgun cams. I think it would be better if the camera engaged whenever the gun is removed from the holster

Unrelated:
Baltimore corrections officers charged with looting convenience store during unrest

quote:

Two Baltimore correctional officers were charged Wednesday with looting a downtown convenience store during unrest last month over the death of Freddie Gray, officials said.

Tamika Cobb and Kendra Richard were caught on video taking merchandise from the 7-Eleven on the corner of W. Baltimore and Howard streets on April 25, the state Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services said.
"We will not allow the vast majority of our employees who are honest and hardworking to be tainted by the actions of a few," Moyer said in a statement.

Both officers were processed at Central Booking, with bail set at $35,000.

:ironicat:

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

blunt for century posted:

Re: handgun cams. I think it would be better if the camera engaged whenever the gun is removed from the holster
Hand gun cams focus too much on relatively rare shootings while ignoring the orders of magnitude more likely interactions with police that would benefit from a recording.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

DARPA posted:

Hand gun cams focus too much on relatively rare shootings while ignoring the orders of magnitude more likely interactions with police that would benefit from a recording.

I meant to have them in addition to body and dash cams, not just exclusively handgun cams. I feel that a handgun cam would be harder to block than a body cam, especially if your arms are in front of the body cam while holding/aiming a handgun. I also feel that they should have two body cams rather than just one, one head mounted on a hat or sunglasses, and one chest mounted, again, to make them harder to block the view from the cameras

blunt for century fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 16, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

joeburz posted:

because people in these positions tend to not view the addict as a person, or at least one worth empathizing with in the first place anyways. they see the addict as vermin or scum not worth their time and only worth derision.

Haha you should read TCC sometime. Most of the people who do the hard stuff are, indeed, vermin or scum and only worth derision.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

-Troika- posted:

Haha you should read TCC sometime. Most of the people who do the hard stuff are, indeed, vermin or scum and only worth derision.
TBF ADTRW is worse and can't blame their bizarre behavior on shady Chinese industrial chemicals.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

-Troika- posted:

I, too, base the way I view people and the world on what I read on an internet forum.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

-Troika- posted:

Well if reading TCC is your only contact with people who do hard stuff then I can see that opinion being valid sort of. In my experience most addicts want to break the cycle and just need help in doing so. When given a chance to change their lifestyle, they do and its common for me to hear "its my 10th anniversary of being clean and sober". Reason being usually something lovely in their life seems to be the trigger for abuse to start and when you nullify that they get better. Which is why I agree with treating addiction as a healthcare issue.

Now people who cheer the police killing people because they think those killed are "scum or vermin" are the ones worth derision because its the shortsighted lazy way of thinking (indeed the problem with murdercops and their defenders). You ultimately help more people fixing the cause of the issue than the symptom, but they don't even want to exert enough effort to actually do their job (serve & protect) and end up making it harder to trust good cops who will actually defend citizens from bad cops. Good cops are out there and unfortunately they are run off the force because they show just how lovely other cops are.

tezcat fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 16, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
One of these things is not like the other. I am making fun of people who complain about withdrawal symptoms when they get thrown in jail.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

-Troika- posted:

One of these things is not like the other. I am making fun of people who complain about withdrawal symptoms when they get thrown in jail.

Yeah, it's pretty funny when they die, huh?

Oh no, wait, it isn't, and that's the reason anyone was even talking about it.

e: badgrammar

hobotrashcanfires fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 16, 2015

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

-Troika- posted:

Would you make fun of a person who went into diabetic shock if the police didn't treat them as well?

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Sharkie posted:

Would you make fun of a person who went into diabetic shock if the police didn't treat them as well?

Clearly that person could have gone into diabetic shock at any time, therefore the police are not liable and the fact that they died was inevitable. Case dismissed.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Yeah, it's pretty funny when they die, huh?

Oh no, wait, it isn't, and that's reason anyone was even talking about it.
I'm willing to add stupid to my line about "shortsighted lazy way of thinking" for people like -Troika-.

Because comedy tries to punch up instead of down and -Troika- while being on an internet comedy website has yet to figure that out.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

-Troika- posted:

IMO, if you hate withdrawal, you should probably not be doing drugs that can cause it when your dumb rear end gets arrested and thrown in jail.

IMO, if you hate dying, you should probably not be black and get arrested. It's just common sense

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

I meant to have them in addition to body and dash cams, not just exclusively handgun cams. I feel that a handgun cam would be harder to block than a body cam, especially if your arms are in front of the body cam while holding/aiming a handgun. I also feel that they should have two body cams rather than just one, one head mounted on a hat or sunglasses, and one chest mounted, again, to make them harder to block the view from the cameras

Tape over the lens? I mean if you start with the assumption that the police are going to intentionally going to obscure recording I don't think there's any amount of cameras you can slap on em that will help. At the end of the day there will still need to be a culture change for everything to work out because otherwise the cameras will mysteriously malfunction or there will be no film or batteries or storage space or whatever.

tezcat posted:

Well if reading TCC is your only contact with people who do hard stuff then I can see that opinion being valid sort of. In my experience most addicts want to break the cycle and just need help in doing so. When given a chance to change their lifestyle, they do and its common for me to hear "its my 10th anniversary of being clean and sober". Reason being usually something lovely in their life seems to be the trigger for abuse to start and when you nullify that they get better. Which is why I agree with treating addiction as a healthcare issue.

Addiction recovery has a pretty low success rate, let's not get crazy here. Even among those that want help.

tsa fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 16, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkie posted:

If they got diabetes because of an unquenching hunger for sweets, after the doctor told them that eating sweets would be a dumb idea because they're prone to diabetes, then yes, I would.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

-Troika- posted:

If they got diabetes because of an unquenching hunger for sweets, after the doctor told them that eating sweets would be a dumb idea because they're prone to diabetes, then yes, I would.

I hope your life is vice free and stands up to the scrutiny of the ER Doc that might treat you in the future.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

-Troika- posted:

Cool so you just derive pleasure from people suffering and dying because, in your mind, they deserved it for making bad choices. How about AIDS victims who had unprotected sex? Actually, you know what, I'm just going to leave this alone as you're either failing to conceptualize this incident as involving a real person who has feelings and a family just like you, or you're a sadist. Or you're just trolling.

Either way the point of my example was that it's not, in fact funny when a group of people deny someone care and it leads to suffering and death, but any of the above reasons would mean it's not worth engaging you on.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

-Troika- posted:

A large proportion of people's deaths are premature due to unhealthy lifestyle choices, probably a majority of them. Are they all undeserving of sympathy?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/may/09/marine-new-york-police-kenneth-chamberlain

quote:

The moment when police burst into Chamberlain's home was recorded by a camera attached to a Taser. Grainy images show Chamberlain standing in his underwear as the officers move in. The electric volts sent through his body are visible in the clip. The video does not provide a complete account of the entry, with Chamberlain only coming into focus sporadically. It cuts out before the fatal shot is fired but McLaughlin says the police failed to de-escalate the situation. After shocking him with the Taser, McLaughlin says Chamberlain was quickly shot with bean bags, immediately followed by two live rounds fired from Carelli's gun, one that apparently missed and one that did not.

Read the rest of the article as well, it's loving horrifying. Some choice quotes:

quote:

"Do not do that. I'm telling you all, I'm telling you all I'm OK," Chamberlain said in response to the pounding on the door. A voice then responds to Chamberlain: "I don't give a gently caress, friend of the family."

Randolph McLaughlin, an attorney for the Chamberlain family, says officer Stephen Hart was recorded telling Chamberlain: "We gotta talk, friend of the family."

Thankfully, it turns out the cops did nothing wrong, so they weren't indicted (I wonder why, considering the DA initially said there was no reasonable cause to indict any of the cops for breaking into his house and murdering him). The system works :)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

tsa posted:

Addiction recovery has a pretty low success rate, let's not get crazy here. Even among those that want help.
The standard model for "recovery" has been enshrined (in the law) as AA and various related twelve-step programs, and you are correct that they have a terrible "success" rate. That should not necessarily be taken as a final statement as to human capability in the face of addiction though, but that is a completely different thread. (That was part of the point of the article I posted.)

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/dui/a/How-Court-Ordered-Alcoholics-Anonymous-Works.htm

quote:

If you have been convicted of an alcohol-related offense, the court will sometimes offer you an alternative to going to jail. Because of jail overcrowding and the costs of keeping an offender incarcerated, many jurisdictions offer some kind of alternate or diversion program, such as A.A..

Once you have attended the number of A.A. meetings that you were ordered to attend, and you have your signed slip to prove your attendance, you will turn the slip into your probation officer or caseworker for validation.

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/23/291405829/with-sobering-science-doctor-debunks-12-step-recovery

quote:

There is a large body of evidence now looking at AA success rate, and the success rate of AA is between 5 and 10 percent. Most people don't seem to know that because it's not widely publicized. ... There are some studies that have claimed to show scientifically that AA is useful. These studies are riddled with scientific errors and they say no more than what we knew to begin with, which is that AA has probably the worst success rate in all of medicine.

It's not only that AA has a 5 to 10 percent success rate; if it was successful and was neutral the rest of the time, we'd say OK. But it's harmful to the 90 percent who don't do well. And it's harmful for several important reasons. One of them is that everyone believes that AA is the right treatment. AA is never wrong, according to AA. If you fail in AA, it's you that's failed.

(Previously I had seen the "optimistic" success rates listed at 20 percent.)

Based on actual work done on addiction, the only truly positive thing about AA (etc) is the sense of community, and the drive to keep people involved in the social group. Aggressively destroying depression-inducing loneliness/isolation is a huge thing (and possibly the only real value in the otherwise almost-sure-to-fail twelve-step model).

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkie posted:

Cool so you just derive pleasure from people suffering and dying because, in your mind, they deserved it for making bad choices. How about AIDS victims who had unprotected sex? Actually, you know what, I'm just going to leave this alone as you're either failing to conceptualize this incident as involving a real person who has feelings and a family just like you, or you're a sadist. Or you're just trolling.

I am perfectly fine with laughing at people suffering because of dumb life choices.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
nm.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

-Troika- posted:

I am perfectly fine with laughing at people suffering because of dumb life choices.
I'm not going to laugh at suffering people no matter what. That seems like some kind of basic political division right there. I wonder how it's expressed in terms of US politics?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

-Troika- posted:

"Oh no, I'm terrified of the prospect that we don't live in a just world and life isn't fair, so if I pretend every bad thing that happens to people is their own fault, I can maintain my naive, cowardly world view!"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm not going to laugh at suffering people no matter what. That seems like some kind of basic political division right there. I wonder how it's expressed in terms of US politics?
It probably isn't because laughing at the misfortune of people you don't like is drat near hardwired in. An idiot falling down is the simplest joke in the world.

Edit: Although most people do have the good taste to stop laughing by the time the paramedics show up.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 16, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

-Troika- posted:

You are aware that several medically-prescribed drugs, like the more powerful antidepressants, are addictive and cause withdrawal, yes?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I guess its related to the criminal justice portion of the thread, but really the topic is too big for this thread IMO.

Laughing at this as an issue is childish. Per this article just alcohol addiction is currently inclusive of more than 18 million Americans. About 8% of those get "treatment", and 80-95% of those treated will be failed treatments.

Our way of treating addiction is about as advanced as the way the dark ages dealt with serious mental disorders. "Tell them to pray to an invisible man and slap them when they dont like it".

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/ryan-rogers-rehab-alcoholic-drugged

quote:

The Rehab Racket: The Way We Treat Addiction Is a Costly, Dangerous Mess

Ryan Rogers was a 28-year-old alcoholic who entered a posh rehab facility to stop drinking; 17 days later he was dead.

The next day, Ryan arrived at Bay Recovery, a luxurious San Diego center where treatment ran about $1,800 a day. In a baggy white T-shirt, sagging jeans, and a blue bandanna, he carried his navy-blue duffel bag from a taxi to the front door of his new residence, one of several Bay Recovery houses in a neighborhood overlooking Mission Bay and SeaWorld. His room was in a tree-shaded four-bedroom house, set back from the road.

Ryan looked at the ocean and the verdant lawn. "I might not want to leave," he said. The frame froze on his smiling face.

"Ryan took a courageous step," the narrator intoned. "But 17 days into rehab, he died. He was only 28 years old."

But things weren't quite that simple. A look at the government records surrounding Ryan's case—and the rest of the poorly regulated rehab industry—suggests that it might not have been just the drinking that killed him: It was the treatment, as well.

On May 30, 10 days after Ryan arrived, Rand started him on buprenorphine, or "bupe," which is often used to treat opiate addicts and may also help those who suffer from chronic pain. But it is not for everyone, and it came on top of a whole cocktail of other medications.

The day after starting on bupe, Ryan began to feel sick, according to a later report by the San Diego medical examiner, and in the following days he rapidly deteriorated. Sweaty and disoriented, he now could not hold a conversation. He urinated on the floor and tried to set things on fire. He grabbed at objects that were out of reach and tried to light a nonexistent cigarette. He told a staff member, "Thank you for the sandwiches; my ride is here." One resident filed a complaint to Bay Recovery's management, stating that Ryan was "hallucinating, talking to himself, stumbling about and almost falling down the stairs" and had turned a "gray-white color." A residential technician told a counselor and one of the managers that Ryan needed medical attention.

The evening of June 5, a 20-year-old medical assistant named Giselle Jones heard banging from Ryan's bedroom and found him on the floor of his closet, digging frantically through his things. She and a resident named Robert tried to put him back in bed, but he kept falling out, getting so agitated that he tried to crawl out a window. Jones tried to reach Rand and his brother Mitch, who was a manager of Bay Recovery, several times.

When Rand finally responded to the call, he prescribed more Ativan, an anti-anxiety medication, and Risperdal, an antipsychotic. Jones hesitated. The charts noted he'd already had two prior doses of both drugs earlier that evening. Was Rand certain she should give Ryan more? Even after he said yes, she called her manager, who told her to follow the doctor's orders. She did, and 20 minutes later Ryan became listless. Jones tried to get him into bed, but every time she managed to move him, he collapsed. She watched as Ryan's breathing became more labored. His pulse stopped for five minutes. Jones tried to reach Rand again, but there was no answer. Then she called her manager. Finally, at 3 a.m., she called 911. Robert, the other patient, performed CPR on Ryan. They waited for an ambulance.

At 3:40 a.m., Ryan was pronounced dead.

The San Diego medical examiner found that Ryan had died of acute respiratory distress syndrome, in which damage to the lungs prevents oxygen from reaching the blood. The deterioration apparently began around the time Rand started him on bupe, which—along with some of the other medications he'd prescribed Ryan—can depress breathing. While the evidence was not conclusive, "the suggestion is somehow that the treatment played a role in the development of the condition," Dr. Jonathan Lucas, who certified the cause of death, told me.

quote:

Part of the problem is that alcohol and drug abuse have been seen less as medical conditions than moral failings requiring self-discipline, according to Scott Walters, a University of North Texas psychologist who has studied addiction treatment. The model popularized by Alcoholics Anonymous, though effective in many cases, is not based on modern science or medical research. One result are clinics staffed by "counselors" who in many states are required to have only minimal training in responding to the serious medical problems that addicts like Ryan often face.

Modern psychiatry is (slowly) being outed as being full of far too much marketing-based pseudoscience, which is ironic because some of its biggest fans love screaming that word at people that dont like their pill industry.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=185157

quote:

The magnitude of benefit of antidepressant medication compared with placebo increases with severity of depression symptoms and may be minimal or nonexistent, on average, in patients with mild or moderate symptoms. For patients with very severe depression, the benefit of medications over placebo is substantial.

So, essentially, for most people they would be far better off with a social group than a fistful of profitable pills that produce a variety of side effects (which can include depression, anxiety, and suicidal mentation).

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/18/new-research-on-the-antidepressant-versus-placebo-debate/

quote:

A separate study published in the American Journal of Psychiatry (AJP) in December highlights other potential complications. The authors of that paper report that since 1980, the percentage of depressed patients responding to a placebo in clinical trials has risen by 7% per decade, reaching 50% in some studies.

Why? In the early years, participants for antidepressant trials were recruited from psychiatric hospitals, which meant that only the most severe cases were included. Today, however, participants are often recruited through advertisements and are paid to be in the trials. That introduces two problems that skew study populations: the most seriously depressed people often lack the capacity even to make a phone call in response to an ad and are thus overlooked, while other people may be persuaded to exaggerate symptoms of depression in order to participate in the trials and get the money. The authors of the AJP study report cases of “professional guinea pigs” who faked symptoms or enrolled in several trials at once.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/02/26/do-antidepressants-work-better-than-placebos/

quote:

Antidepressants don’t work much better than placebos for many depressed patients, an analysis in the journal PLoS Medicine found. But for many patients, placebos work pretty well indeed.

Patients who received placebos and those who got real drugs both showed an “extremely large magnitude [of improvement] according to conventional standards,” the authors wrote. While those who received drugs did show a bit more improvement, the overall difference between the drug group and the placebo group was less than the minimum generally considered clinically significant, the authors found.

The science of the psych-pill industry still depends on its original legs too much, faith and marketing:

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/the-psychiatric-drug-crisis

quote:

Having been discovered by accident, however, they lacked one important element: a theory that accounted for why they worked (or, in many cases, did not).

That didn’t stop drug makers and doctors from claiming that they knew. Drawing on another mostly serendipitous discovery of the fifties—that the brain did not conduct its business by sending sparks from neuron to neuron, as scientists previously thought, but rather by sending chemical messengers across synapses—they fashioned an explanation: mental illness was the result of imbalances among these neurotransmitters, which the drugs treated in the same way that insulin treats diabetes.

Despite their continued failure to understand how psychiatric drugs work, doctors continue to tell patients that their troubles are the result of chemical imbalances in their brains.

Pray harder! :

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/30/psychiatric-drugs-harm-than-good-ssri-antidepressants-benzodiazepines

quote:

Another major problem with psychiatric drugs is that they can cause the symptoms they are supposed to alleviate. Unfortunately, psychiatrists tend to increase the dose or add another drug when a patient reports negative effects.

Psychiatrists use the same metric for improving their results as cops do (semi-ironically).

"The cops are failing -> send more cops!"
"The pills are failing -> send more pills!"

We are digging our way out of the dark ages where psychiatry is concerned faster than we are with the growing police state though. :negative:

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

-Troika- posted:

Pack it up D&D you just can't handle this guy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It probably isn't because laughing at the misfortune of people you don't like is drat near hardwired in. An idiot falling down is the simplest joke in the world.

Edit: Although most people do have the good taste to stop laughing by the time the paramedics show up.
I guess I didn't think of slapstick as real suffering. Suffering would be something like starvation. In the story of the ants and the grasshopper, when the grasshopper had no food completely by his own doing, did the ants laugh at him? No, they invited him to their table, because they are good Christian ants.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

-Troika- posted:

Edgy af

Darth Walrus posted:

You are aware that several medically-prescribed drugs, like the more powerful antidepressants, are addictive and cause withdrawal, yes?

Benzo withdrawal will kill you way easier than heroin withdrawal and tons of people are prescribed those.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FRINGE posted:

I guess its related to the criminal justice portion of the thread, but really the topic is too big for this thread IMO.

Laughing at this as an issue is childish. Per this article just alcohol addiction is currently inclusive of more than 18 million Americans. About 8% of those get "treatment", and 80-95% of those treated will be failed treatments.

Our way of treating addiction is about as advanced as the way the dark ages dealt with serious mental disorders. "Tell them to pray to an invisible man and slap them when they dont like it".

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/ryan-rogers-rehab-alcoholic-drugged

. . . .

Psychiatrists use the same metric for improving their results as cops do (semi-ironically).

"The cops are failing -> send more cops!"
"The pills are failing -> send more pills!"

We are digging our way out of the dark ages where psychiatry is concerned faster than we are with the growing police state though. :negative:

This really would be a great separate topic. My personal guess is that the psychotropic drugs work by just suppressing brain activity generally, so you get less variation, fewer emotional swings, but lots of long-term damage.

Psychology can really be surprisingly effective, though.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Dum Cumpster posted:

How do these people not quit their jobs after ruining someone's life? Are they completely devoid of empathy?

This is the thing that gets me, especially in regards to on-duty "justifiable" or "accidental" shootings of innocent people. If, in the course of my job, I made a mistake or had an accident that caused an innocent person to die violently by my hand before my eyes, I don't think I would be able to get out of bed, let alone touch a loving gun ever again, let alone strap one on and return to the same job the puts me in the same kinds of situations again. How can that SWAT guy who shot the 7-year-old girl in the head actually WANT to go back to that job, if it was a true accident and he was not that kind of person?

But I also came to figure, maybe for cops, the us-versus-them thing means their whole support structure essentially is their other buddies on the force. So after a traumatic experience, regardless of whether they'd want to DO the work itself again, that's where they'd feed the need to BE, around their "family," the only other people they perceive as understanding what they've been through.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Psychology can really be surprisingly effective, though.
Theres some articles that show that, but for *reasons* they are usually discussed with less candor than the "lets memorize the names of pills!" topics. (Unless something has changed a lot more than I think.) (Edit: even moreso with the recent MAPS work with actual psychedelics. http://www.maps.org/ )

Back to "news"!

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/video-reveals-baltimore-cops-were-looting-during-freddie-gray-protests

quote:

Video Reveals Baltimore Cops Were Looting During Freddie Gray Protests

Three Baltimore police officers were accused of theft in two separate investigations — including two charged after being caught on video looting a store during the unrest that followed the death of 25-year-old Freddie Gray.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cichlid the Loach posted:

This is the thing that gets me, especially in regards to on-duty "justifiable" or "accidental" shootings of innocent people. If, in the course of my job, I made a mistake or had an accident that caused an innocent person to die violently by my hand before my eyes, I don't think I would be able to get out of bed, let alone touch a loving gun ever again, let alone strap one on and return to the same job the puts me in the same kinds of situations again.

quote:

How can that SWAT guy who shot the 7-year-old girl in the head actually WANT to go back to that job, if it was a true accident and he was not that kind of person?

But I also came to figure, maybe for cops, the us-versus-them thing means their whole support structure essentially is their other buddies on the force. So after a traumatic experience, regardless of whether they'd want to DO the work itself again, that's where they'd feed the need to BE, around their "family," the only other people they perceive as understanding what they've been through.

What?!!?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

People depend on their existing social support system, even when that system is the thing leading them to trouble.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Agrajag posted:

What?!!?

Which part of my post are you saying that to? Btw you seem to have incorrectly nested the quote tags so it looks like my own middle sentence was written by someone else and I'm refuting it or something, are you confused about which opinion I'm espousing?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

-Troika- posted:

Here is a hint. Most people that have diabetes don't know that they have until late in their lives because many people can't afford to go see a doctor. Also, there is a lot more to look out for when you have diabetes than simply "sweets"

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Is this real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Merdifex posted:

Is this real?

The phrasing of that post makes me think the poster has a particular opinion on the protests in general. Perhaps it did happen, but if it did, then I am shocked that it managed to never go viral in the past 5 months given how quickly things go viral when a black people are alleged to have done something bad during a protest. I am also surprised that it hasn't been trotted out multiple times since then by closeted racist brigade. Just look at the last protests when things got heated on that Saturday afternoon and fights broke out.

• Locked thread