Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001

anthonypants posted:

a guy at work was telling me about windows core and how it's going to be the next docker and lol

lol your coworkers are retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

seiferguy posted:

can someone tell me what the point of having windows 10 on the xbox one is, because i haven't quite figured it out

i mean, does microsoft want you to run office on it? do they want to use up more of the already pathetically low amount of RAM and power so that games continue to fail to hit 1080p, or do they plan to use kinect and hololens together and force consumers to buy two products they don't want again?

your potential, our passion

yes, it's to allow you to use office on the xbox and scream entire 10 pages documents to your kinect

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

max4me posted:

So are they gonna rehire qa or just hire more programmers and have them do qa work.

the "flattening" [which didn't remove any levels of management] was nadella's first big act as ceo, so the correct answer is

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

anthonypants posted:

a guy at work was telling me about windows core and how it's going to be the next docker and lol

weird that they would push so hard to get docker on windows if they just meant to compete with it

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

weird that they would push so hard to get docker on windows if they just meant to compete with it

because middle managers are talking to middle managers at other companies to use windows in the data centre and checkbox enterprise software purchasing means you get docker on windows

pram
Jun 10, 2001
how does docker even work on windows? powershell? lmao

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
docker for linux through powershell for linux

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mac bu still battin a thousand

e: i click the resume button and now

pram
Jun 10, 2001
do not install microsoft software on your mac unless it comes from the app store (rdp client)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

pram posted:

do not install microsoft software on your mac unless it comes from the app store (rdp client)

to add insult to injury i updated word to read a stupid letter from comcast for a business order :mad:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
use pages. supplied for free by the grace of steve

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

ms is getting revenge for

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
update must be closed in order to update

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soldier of Fortran posted:

ms is getting revenge for

this thing actually works though?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

at one point it pushed safari for windows (it would show up and you'd have to specifically deselect it for it to not install) which had various security issues like one allowing an attacker to auto-download files to the user's desktop, which apple brushed off as not a serious security flaw

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

pages comes with osx now? i think i paid :10bux: for mine

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
iirc as of mavericks it was free

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Roosevelt posted:

pages comes with osx now? i think i paid :10bux: for mine

it's free but u gotta make an account and download it off the store

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
pages is ok for a lot of stuff, and i hear keynote is good, but numbers just pales compared to excel. so ms has that going for them, I guess.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

fleshweasel posted:

pages is ok for a lot of stuff, and i hear keynote is good, but numbers just pales compared to excel. so ms has that going for them, I guess.

like the single thing I really like about numbers is that it's easy to make something that looks visually appealing since you can easily create little spreadsheets on each page of a workbook and have some white space and poo poo going on

formulas suck though

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fleshweasel posted:

keynote is good if making powerpoint presentations is a skill you willfully (rightly) avoid. i used it for a presentation and it was good and fast enough while not looking janky and templaty

also file syncing made it easy to tweak and review away from my desk but idk if that really helps much

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

technically yes (the best kind of yes), but demanding that I restart my computer every time was pretty drat shameful.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Not for me. It always fails at updating itunes. Ninite updater actually works, though.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

use pages. supplied for free by the grace of steve

iWork was only free when you bought a machine after like nov 2013 or something, about a month after I bought my air
I've bought Pages and Keynote anyways though because they're nice and my time isn't worthless

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

anthonypants posted:

No no you misunderstood. He meant it's going to be the next

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ahmeni posted:

iWork was only free when you bought a machine after like nov 2013 or something, about a month after I bought my air
I've bought Pages and Keynote anyways though because they're nice and my time isn't worthless

there's a way around it

but yeah it's not like they're expensive

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
If you're going to buy an office clone, why not just buy the real thing? Seems pretty dumb to me...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Fuschia tude posted:

No no you misunderstood. He meant it's going to be the next

official khaki pants of Microsoft, paired with blue button-down MS-logo shirt

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

microsoft reaffirms commitment to windows 7

quote:

Terry Myerson, Microsoft's executive vice president of operating systems, has clarified the company's plans were not changing for non-genuine users: "Microsoft and our OEM partners know that many consumers are unwitting victims of piracy, and with Windows 10, we would like all of our customers to move forward with us together. While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, and as we've always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state."

terry then donned his hololens and went back in time to kill the terry that said just the opposite of this a month ago, thereby clarifying the paradox he created

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
cant for for an authentically digial windows to grace my gaming rig. thanks terry. i bought windows 7 at best buy

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

shadow puppet of a posted:

microsoft reaffirms commitment to windows 7

terry then donned his hololens and went back in time to kill the terry that said just the opposite of this a month ago, thereby clarifying the paradox he created
does everyone at microsoft just talk in marketing speak constantly?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, and as we've always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state.""

does this mean pirates will have to pay for Windows 10, whereas legit users get it for free?

cause uh I think I found a flaw in that plan

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
release the windows 7 service pack please.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm starting to think what that means is that pirates will get a "click here to buy windows 10!!" pop up every day if they have that "upgrade to windows 10 offer" patch applied

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
It's good to have a Genuine Windows.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

agreed

plus I got office for Mac for like $10 or $20 through work a few years ago

feels good man

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the official explanation is that pirates will upgrade to a pirated copy of Windows 10, it doesn't magically make their license legit

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
the hell kind of hosed up retard spends money on an office clone in a world where real office exists. theres plenty of free options for fake office. once you get the cc out - hell - just get the real deal

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

Are you enjoying the Windows Genuine Advantage?

Smythe posted:

the hell kind of hosed up retard spends money on an office clone in a world where real office exists. theres plenty of free options for fake office. once you get the cc out - hell - just get the real deal

Who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Fame Douglas posted:

Are you enjoying the Windows Genuine Advantage?

it gives me the egde in my career and on line gaming

• Locked thread