Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Seano posted:

It's a naive question for sure but why are fullbacks held in such low regard against nearly every other position?

I'd imagine the proliferation of the single back set has a lot to do with this. Basically the fullback has been somewhat schemed out of the game, if you can accomplish the same thing with more blockers up front there isn't much reason to value a FB for those rare* times you'll use him.

*-this obviously changes by team. Also for whatever it's worth some of my favorite players were fullbacks, Tony Richardson and Kimble Anders were the best.

This doesn't have anything to do with current football but there was also a brief, beautiful period in the 90s where fullbacks were catching passes constantly and I miss it. Seriously like 90+ receptions/year for fullbacks. Or a fullback (Larry Centers) at least, maybe two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Browns fans still clamor for Lawrence Vickers, unsung hero of the Browns 2006-10.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

I'd imagine the proliferation of the single back set has a lot to do with this. Basically the fullback has been somewhat schemed out of the game, if you can accomplish the same thing with more blockers up front there isn't much reason to value a FB for those rare* times you'll use him.

*-this obviously changes by team. Also for whatever it's worth some of my favorite players were fullbacks, Tony Richardson and Kimble Anders were the best.

This doesn't have anything to do with current football but there was also a brief, beautiful period in the 90s where fullbacks were catching passes constantly and I miss it. Seriously like 90+ receptions/year for fullbacks. Or a fullback (Larry Centers) at least, maybe two.

Norv Turner's greatest crime was phasing Lorenzo Neal out of the offense in San Diego. Let's all remember the era of Tony Richardson, Mack Strong, and Lorenzo Neal

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

El Seano posted:

Particularly watching Hard Knocks a lot lately they seem to either draft FB's very late or just take them as UDFA's.

titans just drafted a FB named jalston fowler in the 4th round so if a FB is good enough he will be drafted higher than very late

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Fullbacks own and I sure that any goon who would ever miraculously coach a team would be pounding on every table they could for at least one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Cory Schlesinger wheel routes were one of the only highlights of the early Matt Millen years.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

If you attempt a field goal at 1st, 2nd or 3rd down and you miss, what happens? Another attempt or a turnover?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

OperaMouse posted:

If you attempt a field goal at 1st, 2nd or 3rd down and you miss, what happens? Another attempt or a turnover?

Depends. If you actually kick the ball and it goes past the line of scrimmage, then its a turnover. If you run a fake or do anything other than kick the ball (bad snap and cover being the most common) then its treated the same as a play from scrimmage. So, as long as its not a turnover on downs, it stays with the kicking team.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

El Seano posted:

So in continuing to try and learn about the game would you guys agree that the Fullback is the least regarded position on the team outside of kickers?
Yes. It's increasingly a passing league, a lot of the runs aren't from two back sets, and TEs are really "in". Well, at least pass-catching TEs are in, blocking TEs are sort of going the way of the FB.

Last season a few FBs were in for like 40% of offensive plays (B.Miller K.Juszczyk M.Reece) and then it drops off pretty fast -- for most teams it's in the 10-25% range. It's not to say this is the CORRECT strategy/valuation but the trend is what it is.

edit: also I don't know how much of this is commentator-speak more than what coaches are actually thinking but if you're as obsessed with creating the MISMATCH as they seem to be then putting a FB on the field is generally a step in the wrong direction.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 8, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

OperaMouse posted:

As mentioned, the important thing about any scrimmage kick, whether field goal or punt, is whether the ball crosses the neutral zone. If it doesn't, Team A can recover the ball, it's still live, and the down continues as normal. They can throw a forward pass. They can even kick the ball again, if they want to. However, the line to gain is in the same place and they need to get there for another first down. If they don't make it, their series continues. The only thing that changes is that the game clock stops at the end of the down.

Once the ball is kicked and crosses the neutral zone, the continuity of downs is broken and Team A is considered to have given up its right to be in possession. The only way they'll get the ball back now is if Team B touches it first. Which except at the end of a half when you need to run it back for a touchdown is an incredibly dumb thing to do, since if you just leave it alone, the ball will return either to the previous spot (NCAA) or the spot of the kick (NFL). This is why That Leon Lett Play was so completely hilarious even without it being Leon Lett; there was literally less than no reason for him to be in the same zip code as the football.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Refs aren't full-time employees, right? How are they compensated? If they're not full-time, what do they do when they're not working for the NFL? I remember their union got into it with the NFL a while back, which is what caused the replacement refs poo poo, did the refs' union actually win anything meaningful in that case?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

VJeff posted:

Refs aren't full-time employees, right? How are they compensated? If they're not full-time, what do they do when they're not working for the NFL? I remember their union got into it with the NFL a while back, which is what caused the replacement refs poo poo, did the refs' union actually win anything meaningful in that case?

They got to go back to work when the replacements were embarrassingly bad, I figure they mostly got what they wanted. They make somewhere in the neighborhood of 200k a year from the NFL I believe.

As to what they do for their other jobs it's...just whatever. Guns is a lawyer I know, I found this lead from an old CNN story:

quote:

The co-owner of a supply company. An insurance broker. The director of housing preservation and development. A sales broker. A probation officer. A high school teacher. A computer systems analyst.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's now one full-time official at each position who works as a sub-supervisor of officials for that position; and there's also been a trend in recent years for NCAA conferences to hire an active NFL official as their supervisor. (The vast majority do still have a real job.)

This article is a decent overview of what the lockout was about (pensions were by far the biggest issue because a lot of officials made career decisions based on having the generous NFL pension to fall back on), although it does significantly underplay the issue of hiring more officials to make it easier to (among other things) take someone off their schedule for a week or two if they drop a bollock at the wrong time.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

This is a pretty neat series SI did follwing Gene Steratore and his crew for the week leading up to a game. It shows what all the officials have to do between games and just how much prep work goes into each one.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
A long time ago someone was asking about power blocking vs zone blocking. They're probably not around anymore and if they are they've figured things out, but here's a pretty good write up on the subject.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

A long time ago someone was asking about power blocking vs zone blocking. They're probably not around anymore and if they are they've figured things out, but here's a pretty good write up on the subject.

Thanks, that was a good article.

If the nameless individual wants more info on how the ZBS works here is a great breakdown from Fieldgulls. The Seahawks run a ZBS under Carroll. I don't know who else in the league uses it.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2014/2/18/5394212/seahawks-marshawn-lynch-zone-blocking-scheme-tom-cable

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

Thanks, that was a good article.

If the nameless individual wants more info on how the ZBS works here is a great breakdown from Fieldgulls. The Seahawks run a ZBS under Carroll. I don't know who else in the league uses it.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2014/2/18/5394212/seahawks-marshawn-lynch-zone-blocking-scheme-tom-cable

The Texans.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Any Gary Kubiak team runs zone too.

If you're watching a game and you want to quickly figure if it's zone or power, the guards will be pulling (moving from their spot) if it's power.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Film is useful here. Zone blocking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azlLStj7u3E

The linemen stay in their original alignment. Nobody moves across the formation.

Power blocking:

https://youtu.be/X0nYDqpLzx0?t=1m14s

In the first play, watch A74, the left tackle (on the right of the screen). He's going to pull across the formation and block B30 at the left corner to break the runner free. (Meanwhile, in accordance with the Law of Lineman Anonymity, the talking head craps on about what a great physical runner the running back is.)

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
What if a team had to play themself because they got scheduled wrong?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

I believe that's generally referred to as a "bye".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

The 2012 Packers had to fight their own defense for a whole season. :eng101:

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Kalli posted:

I can recommend War Room by Michael Holley for this: http://www.amazon.com/War-Room-Belichick-Building-Perfect/dp/006208240X

It's specific to the Patriots/Chiefs/Falcons in 2010, but a good read for how that works. It's very Patriots centric though, since Holley was a Boston sportswriter, and his previous book was him embedded with the Patriots for an entire season, and is basically the one guy who Belichick will talk to endlessly (and as such what you get is going to be a bit sanitized). Also those other two teams were also, at the time, full of ex-Patriots personnel, which is how he got that access.

Just quoting for posterity, I looked this up, I'm about halfway through, and its a very good read. Holds your attention and goes into a lot of the side stories behind building a successful NFL team. The attention to detail they go to in scouting is unreal.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So in my continued "Watch a lot of Hard Knocks" based NFL education I'm always seeing co-ordinators on the sideline covering their mouths to prevent lip reading. Do teams seriously have someone out there every game trying to lip read the co-ordinator or is it just basically near superstition at this point? It just seems odd that they always do it, surely nobody has lip read a call in the NFL in the last 20 years?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If there's a conceivable way to cheat someone will try to do so, I'd say it's probably not just paranoia. I'm sure it's mostly just a habit they get in.

They do the same thing in baseball when the catcher goes out to the mound and it always seems dumb to me there too, but everyone does it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's prohibited to intercept radio signals or tap the phone from the pressbox to the sideline, but anything said or done in the open is fair game. And yes, teams will use spotters with binoculars to lipread stuff said privately on the sidelines.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Deteriorata posted:

It's prohibited to intercept radio signals or tap the phone from the pressbox to the sideline, but anything said or done in the open is fair game. And yes, teams will use spotters with binoculars to lipread stuff said privately on the sidelines.

Yeah, far as I know, lip reading is permitted since its on the sidelines and thus out in the open.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've never understood the pictures of HAMSTER VOLCANO CHUCK NORRIS GUITAR DON DRAPER LIQUOR BOTTLE playcalling boards that are in fashion..

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I should have said if there's some way to gain an advantage they'll try it instead of framing it as cheating.

I guess after thinking about it this is kind of what the whole spygate thing was about though. Not lip reading exactly but they were recording the defensive signals and noting down/distance/clock time theoretically so they could go back and decipher the signals later. Merely watching the signals is fine but you're not supposed to record them any more.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sash! posted:

I've never understood the pictures of HAMSTER VOLCANO CHUCK NORRIS GUITAR DON DRAPER LIQUOR BOTTLE playcalling boards that are in fashion..

Still the best comment on those:

(They didn't.)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

El Seano posted:

So in my continued "Watch a lot of Hard Knocks" based NFL education I'm always seeing co-ordinators on the sideline covering their mouths to prevent lip reading. Do teams seriously have someone out there every game trying to lip read the co-ordinator or is it just basically near superstition at this point? It just seems odd that they always do it, surely nobody has lip read a call in the NFL in the last 20 years?
Supposedly there was a time when people were getting an edge not even lip-reading, but just noticing how long the call took (in most systems pass plays have longer descriptions).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Trin Tragula posted:

Still the best comment on those:

(They didn't.)

:laffo:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Sash! posted:

It's easier to remember a hamster than it is to remember something like "flop right bunch over x go scat bag 35 punch double shift motion z zip zip zoom."

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
A boring but practical part of covering your mouth with the play sheet is to direct as much sound into the mic as possible because football stadiums are loud.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Sash! posted:

Easier to see across a field, harder to misinterpret than someone spitting a string of keywords over a mic through the stadium noise, allows the whole team to get the playcall without whoever has a mic having to relay it to everyone else which allows quicker tempo if that's what you're goin' for.

Plus they can be loving hilarious.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's important also to remember here that NCAA teams are not allowed to use helmet radios.

(Because they stink, and they make things too easy, and also not allowing them means teams have to come up with hilarious alternatives like this.)

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Badfinger posted:

A boring but practical part of covering your mouth with the play sheet is to direct as much sound into the mic as possible because football stadiums are loud.

I hadn't even considered that aspect. Thanks for the answers guys that settles that one for me.

edit:

Also

I can understand the first one "someone cover crabtree please" but whats the second one mean?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

El Seano posted:

I hadn't even considered that aspect. Thanks for the answers guys that settles that one for me.

edit:

Also

I can understand the first one "someone cover crabtree please" but whats the second one mean?

The first one is a photoshop joke. Those signs are used to signal plays in a way that only the players will understand.

The actual code may be as simple as the colors of the boxes and their positioning, with the stuff on top as a distraction to confuse opponents trying to figure them out. What it actually means is unknown, which is the whole point.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

The first one is a photoshop joke. Those signs are used to signal plays in a way that only the players will understand.

The actual code may be as simple as the colors of the boxes and their positioning, with the stuff on top as a distraction to confuse opponents trying to figure them out. What it actually means is unknown, which is the whole point.

See this is sort of what I wish I could explain to other people here in the UK who think that American Football is as simple as line up and smack the gently caress out of the other guy. There are layers and complexities to this all I can't really even fathom.

Would you guys agree that pre-snap the only guys that know whats supposed to happen is the teams or could a fan/spectator look down and make an educated guess themselves?

I know you can't compare sports but when I'm in a stadium watching what you call soccer I can see what formation they're in, I can see what they're trying to achieve. All this talk of 3-4 and 4-3 and the endless, endless stream of poo poo QB's yell before they hike the ball is so confusing. Do you all watch the game and go "ah right they're gonna do this here" most of the time? Cause I watched the recent Superbowl again after 2 months of trying to understand this game and understood maybe half of it.

And I'd only drank like a four pack during the whole game which is probably half the average NFL fan, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Seano posted:

Would you guys agree that pre-snap the only guys that know whats supposed to happen is the teams or could a fan/spectator look down and make an educated guess themselves?

To some extent you can guess the general type of play based on the offensive formation. If they line up with three tight ends or extra linemen with the running backs in an I it's a good bet the play will be some sort of inside run. Of course the offense knows it looks like a run up the middle so they might run a play action pass or toss the ball outside in an attempt to fool the defense. Or if the offense lines up with five wide receivers and no one but the QB in the backfield it's a good bet the play will be a pass, but it could also be a quarterback draw or end around.

On the defensive side if the linebackers or corners are dancing up toward or around the line before the snap they're showing blitz. These days faking blitzes is a matter of course and happens all the time, but they're at least showing pressure to the quarterback. But if 9 or 10 guys are up on the line it's a good bet some of them are coming other than the down linemen, because it's dangerous to not have more guys back and you don't want the QB to have much time to find someone to throw to.

You'll hear people talk about quarterbacks reading the defense and that's kind of what they're talking about. Peyton Manning is one of the best ever mostly because he's so incredibly good at figuring out what the defense is actually going to do. On the other hand there's nothing physically wrong with Colin Kaepernick but so far he isn't all that great at figuring out the right place to put the ball or when to get out of plays that would be bad against a certain defensive set.

Familiarity with teams and coaches helps too. If you're watching a Mike Leach team at Washington State you know you won't be seeing a whole lot of running. And if you watch Brian Schottenheimer at Georgia you're going to see a power running team that takes deep shots off of play action now and then (also a bad offense because he's a bad coach, but that's beside the point).

Knowing the exact play is almost impossible. Playbooks are large and also secret things, they take them away from you when you get cut so you can't share anything but what you remember if another team picks you up.

• Locked thread