Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I'm sure Orv hasn't posted that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm sure this was intended to be that, but then someone went and filled the first 15 pages (so far) with some of the most ridiculous horse-poo poo I have seen in this forum, and that's really saying something.

To be fair, he didn't do it in a vacuum. People can't seem to leave crazy alone.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I'm sure Orv hasn't posted that much

Holy poo poo.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Orv posted:

Horse musculature, the defining standard of fidelity for a new generation.

To be fair that's a really nice looking horse butt.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Anybody know what's up with the PC version? People have gotten early copies, but people are saying you need to connect to GOG for the physical version to work. The webpage says the game does not require an Internet connection so I'm confused why it needs to connect to GOG.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

All I've learned is that Comte knew that Billy Joel's song The Entertainer was right, to make a hit they've got to make it fit, so they cut it down to PS4.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yaos posted:

Anybody know what's up with the PC version? People have gotten early copies, but people are saying you need to connect to GOG for the physical version to work. The webpage says the game does not require an Internet connection so I'm confused why it needs to connect to GOG.

There's one initial connection for pre-installed copies to validate and unlock the files. Any copies brought after Tuesday won't have that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Badly Jester posted:

To be fair, he didn't do it in a vacuum. People can't seem to leave crazy alone.

Let me tell you how much your stupid opinion is stupid. haha. Stop posting.
*fifteen pages later*
Oh man, your opinion is so stupid, stop posting.
*six pages later*
Oh boy, gosh you're so dumb, right guys? Stop posting.
*eleven pages later*

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

CottonWolf posted:

There's one initial connection for pre-installed copies to validate and unlock the files. Any copies brought after Tuesday won't have that.

It's not actually a validation, there are just a few key files missing from the preload. As long as you can get these files on the computer with the game somehow, you don't even need to be connected to the internet in order to start it. There's no registration or "unlock" required.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Maybe they deliberately put out a buggy game in order to encourage people to buy it and register their purchase so they could download the patches.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Drifter posted:

Maybe they deliberately put out a buggy game in order to encourage people to buy it and register their purchase so they could download the patches.

It's cdpr/gog, you don't have to register to download patches. Hell, some dev from CDPR even posted on various piracy websites in comments on various witcher 3 files up for 'preload' that they'll be able to play on the 19th and where to download the patch.

e: Well, someone claiming to be a dev, at least. There were screenshots in the other thread of the posts.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 16, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hopterque posted:

It's cdpr/gog, you don't have to register to download patches. Hell, some dev from CDPR even posted on various piracy websites in comments on various witcher 3 files up for 'preload' that they'll be able to play on the 19th and where to download the patch.

They've changed, man.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Drifter posted:

The downloads are all full of spyware so CDPR can monitor their players and find out which ones know the TRUTH. :tinfoil:

Seriously though as long as I get to kill monsters and make lots of dubious decisions I'm happy :) (give me my money Comte).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

iGestalt posted:

PC Games Hardware did a Min vs. Max youtube vide for Witcher 3.

It's pretty good

Game looks pretty fuckin' good.

The last scene overlooking the mountain looks awesome on *Max* settings.
To be fair, if what the video shows as "min" is what you get when you put every setting to low or disabled, then that's amazing.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

To be fair, if what the video shows as "min" is what you get when you put every setting to low or disabled, then that's amazing.

Yeah. I like the video because it's similar to screenshots as they aren't doing anything - it's clear to see that the textures scale very well.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

Honestly the minimum settings look like some fairly recent games on max (unmodded Skyrim :argh: ).

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Kimmalah posted:

Honestly the minimum settings look like some fairly recent games on max (unmodded Skyrim :argh: ).

I would not say 3 and a half years is recent.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yaos posted:

I would not say 3 and a half years is recent.

OK, good to know.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Never finished Witcher 1/2, am I boned in terms of storyline?

Orv
May 4, 2011

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Never finished Witcher 1/2, am I boned in terms of storyline?

Nope. Read that Kotaku article if you want to know.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine

Orv posted:

Nope. Read that Kotaku article if you want to know.

This one?

http://kotaku.com/a-beginner-s-guide-to-the-world-of-the-witcher-1704506152

Thanks

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
No Witcher story is your name is Geralt, you are a superhuman, you kill monsters, your girlfriend is Triss, trolls are awesome, elves suck.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

No Witcher story is your name is Geralt, you are a superhuman, you kill monsters, your girlfriend is Triss, trolls are awesome, elves suck.

You forgot: Witchers are immune to disease so they can bone everyone.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

iGestalt posted:

You forgot: Witchers are immune to disease so they can bone everyone.
And can't reproduce...also so they can bone everyone.

Where's my Witcher/Monster Hunter crossover though? Come on Capcom, this is important.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Where's my Witcher/Monster Hunter crossover though? Come on Capcom, this is important.

Only if Big Boss (Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker-era Big Boss) is there too. Geralt and Big Boss teamin' up to go hunt some Metal Gears.

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
I never got very far in Dragon Age Inquisition because I thought the combat was boring, and upping the difficulty just made everything a damage sponge.

I've never played a Witcher game and was wondering if the combat in these games is more interesting. I enjoy Dark Souls combat, for reference.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

And can't reproduce...also so they can bone everyone.

Given the first sentence that request is somewhat troubling.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Utnayan posted:

You need to purchase premium so I can click the message button under your name. Make it so.

Here are some great screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/Xs0PA

DONE. Spread the love, Sir Utnayan.

I do like the older grass better, but the new grass looks so soft. It's like green cat fur growing from the earth.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gentwise posted:

I never got very far in Dragon Age Inquisition because I thought the combat was boring, and upping the difficulty just made everything a damage sponge.

I've never played a Witcher game and was wondering if the combat in these games is more interesting. I enjoy Dark Souls combat, for reference.

Dark Souls is a valid comparison only in that knowledge of enemies is going to be a big help. The combat itself is less methodical.

Even 2s somewhat clunky combat was miles better than DA:I.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 16, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gentwise posted:

It's completely action for hitting and dodging and not based on cooldown periods or whatever, but not as tight as either a full action game, or something like Dark Souls. It hasn't been the high point of the series but it's acceptable.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gentwise posted:

The combat is definitely more interesting and fun. Even at the most frustrating, there's a lot going on and it's always doable. it's not as tight as Dark Souls, but it's still solid. It's half Batman and Dark Souls, but it's like Sleeping Dogs in terms of refinement. Aka, not as polished or good as either.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 16, 2015

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Witcher 2's combat was only interesting in the sense that "oh, I just tried to attack and nothing happened" or "I wanted to inch forward and slid ten feet diagonally as the camera panned instead" or "that's not the attack animation I wanted, interesting."

I'm hoping Witcher 3 is a departure in that area, but controls and combat were the low points of the last game, even if you had a lot of tools at your disposal.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought it was interesting in the "Oh hey there's five guys here and three of them have shields, how should I set things up so I can kill them safely" sense.

But yeah there are some responsiveness issues too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Witcher 2's combat was only interesting in the sense that "oh, I just tried to attack and nothing happened" or "I wanted to inch forward and slid ten feet diagonally as the camera panned instead" or "that's not the attack animation I wanted, interesting.

Oh poo poo yeah, while it looks cool, the auto spinning and poo poo gets kinda annoying.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Witcher 2's saves didn't keep track of enemies, so if you murdered your way into a hive, saved, and then happened to reload there enjoy the fight.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It does actually, just really inconsistently. Like endregas and poo poo will respawn in Act 1 when you reload but the nekkers in that cave won't.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Here are a couple of videos to refresh your memories of the first two games if you are like me and roleplay being Geralt in real life and hardly remember them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqMr0OvQog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSftIRQzYCM

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Playing through TW2 again and I'm still coming across stuff I haven't seen before. I just walked into Lobinden at night and saw Chorab (?) gathering the villagers for a fireside story and he recounted the events of 'The Witcher' short story from the Last Wish.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This undeniably epic video game inspired me to buy a brand new Nvidia GeForce® GTX™ 980 to play the game it was meant to be played, and I look forward to slaying monsters with excellent combat mechanics and exploring the rich, expansive open-world content in what GameSpot is calling, "one of the best role-playing games ever crafted." [source]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Will GoG automatically unlock and download the necessary files when the game is released or will I need to click on something to get it to do that?