Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Control Volume posted:

This undeniably epic video game inspired me to buy a brand new Nvidia GeForce® GTX™ 980 to play the game it was meant to be played, and I look forward to slaying monsters with excellent combat mechanics and exploring the rich, expansive open-world content in what GameSpot is calling, "one of the best role-playing games ever crafted." [source]

Congratulations, gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Poetic Justice posted:

Will GoG automatically unlock and download the necessary files when the game is released or will I need to click on something to get it to do that?

You'll probably have to finish downloading it or whatever. Like, running the installer again.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Control Volume posted:

This undeniably epic video game inspired me to buy a brand new Nvidia GeForce® GTX™ 980 to play the game it was meant to be played, and I look forward to slaying monsters with excellent combat mechanics and exploring the rich, expansive open-world content in what GameSpot is calling, "one of the best role-playing games ever crafted." [source]

Hey when are you finishing that RCT LP?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Orv posted:

Hey when are you finishing that RCT LP?

chris sawyer's checks started bouncing so probably never

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

So I never finished my second run through of W2, to see all of the Roche's path jazz. I stopped about halfway through Act 2. Is there a good walkthrough out there so I can just fly through it this evening? I want to have two distinct saves to import for 2 playthroughs if W3.

Orv
May 4, 2011

black.lion posted:

So I never finished my second run through of W2, to see all of the Roche's path jazz. I stopped about halfway through Act 2. Is there a good walkthrough out there so I can just fly through it this evening? I want to have two distinct saves to import for 2 playthroughs if W3.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/witcher-2

IGN does pretty good work on their walkthroughs, everything else about them aside.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
OP, you misspeled "miscapitalization".

Content:
This poo poo is gonna own. An open world Witcher game? Hell yes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

OP, you misspeled "miscapitalization".

I thought that was just Chrome screaming about words with mis- prefixes and didn't look closer, go figure.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Orv posted:

I thought that was just Chrome screaming about words with mis- prefixes and didn't look closer, go figure.

Trust thine own eyes.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Drifter posted:

You'll probably have to finish downloading it or whatever. Like, running the installer again.

zen death robot posted:

I'm guessing if you try to run it and it's missing something it'll auto-patch

Sounds good, thanks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The PC version of Witcher 3 will just be like the PC version of Watch_Dogs, you'll be able to enable the special effects and other graphic features from the 2013 trailer.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
This is going to sound loving stupid but will playing this game make playing Witcher 2 in the future completely pointless (plot wise mostly)? I've been meaning to play 2 for ages, rented it for 360 before deciding that was not the medium to play it on and got it on PC when I upgraded but now I just really want to play 3, I could try speeding through 2 quick and then playing 3 in like a week but I feel like I'd be sick of that style of game by then. Like, obviously playing this I will probably learn quite a bit about the ending of 2 I'd assume but I won't see all the characters and interactions and stuff will I, so it'd still be worth playing?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 17, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
In terms of overarching plot relevance? Yeah, probably entirely. If you want to go back in a year or so and play 2 just to get more Geralt and Co, it probably wouldn't kill you.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Just play Witcher 2 man, it's really good.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

Just play Witcher 2 man, it's really good.

Right now, it's kinda pissing me off and making me think it wasn't the 360 version that was putting me off. I'll keep playing tomorrow but I'm about to get into the same area I got too on that attempt (swamp area) so we'll see I guess. I already bought Witcher 3 so kinda stuck with it now (don't think refunds are a thing where I got it).

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Cant wait not be restricted to narrow pathways, constantly climbing dumbass chest high hillocks and generally feeling on rails.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

thebardyspoon posted:

Right now, it's kinda pissing me off and making me think it wasn't the 360 version that was putting me off. I'll keep playing tomorrow but I'm about to get into the same area I got too on that attempt (swamp area) so we'll see I guess. I already bought Witcher 3 so kinda stuck with it now (don't think refunds are a thing where I got it).

If you're just interested in the story play it on Easy/Normal and you'll blaze right through it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just got the game through Green Man Gaming, before learning that it is not a steam key, keys aren't out yet, and I can't get a refund at this point.

At least I saved a little money.

EDIT: I misjudged my dates. I sent the refund request.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 17, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Archimago posted:

If you're just interested in the story play it on Easy/Normal and you'll blaze right through it.

Or you can watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui9C1pfxj4g

Its story only of Witcher 2. My computer is dead so I can't play through again but watching this and getting the story/quests again has been entertaining. This playthrough is Aryan lives, choose Iorveth, save elf maidens, and Im not sure the ending. Im not there yet.

I've been slowly working through this. I just watched the succubus quest and laughed my rear end off again. That quest is great.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Signs look like they're gonna be a lot stronger in this game than previous.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
Signs were already pretty brutal in the previous games.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

RatHat posted:

Signs look like they're gonna be a lot stronger in this game than previous.

Igni was pretty ridiculous in the first game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Roshnak posted:

In the second game that's only really true if you put points into upgrading them. Which is fair enough, really. I mean, igni was almost totally useless without upgrades but really good if you were magic focused.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Control Volume posted:

chris sawyer's checks started bouncing so probably never
Shame, it was super entertaining.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Roshnak posted:

On Easy and Normal sure but they lose a lot of effectiveness on higher difficulties.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, this sucks. I'm way too antsy to play this to focus on any other game since I got my W2 saves, this thread has nothing to talk about and the entire rest of the internet seems to consist of nothing but repetitive and stupid "downgrade" complaints. Why couldn't this game have released on Friday, gently caress, I'm not gonna have a lot of time to play on Monday due to having work the next day, and here I am, sitting at home in the weekend, with no interest in playing anything else.

Popular games should release on Fridays, IMHO.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, this sucks. I'm way too antsy to play this to focus on any other game since I got my W2 saves, this thread has nothing to talk about and the entire rest of the internet seems to consist of nothing but repetitive and stupid "downgrade" complaints. Why couldn't this game have released on Friday, gently caress, I'm not gonna have a lot of time to play on Monday due to having work the next day, and here I am, sitting at home in the weekend, with no interest in playing anything else.

Witcher 3 pushed back until Friday, May 22 due to fan outrage

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Infinity Gaia posted:

What did you want to talk about?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Infinity Gaia posted:

Weekend releases would suck for the dev and support teams.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Sharmat posted:

What did you want to talk about?

I dunno, honestly. I guess there really isn't that much to say anymore until the game releases. I'm just vaguely complaining due to lacking anything else to do right now.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Someone want to summarize the last two Witcher novels so for me so I don't have to read two large books in three days? TIA

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They aren't large, it's under 700 pages combining both.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't remember if I asked this in the other thread, but does anyone know how much of the game you can play as with the girl character? She looks cool

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Someone want to summarize the last two Witcher novels so for me so I don't have to read two large books in three days? TIA

The Witcher Wikia has decent summaries.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I don't remember if I asked this in the other thread, but does anyone know how much of the game you can play as with the girl character? She looks cool

I want to say reviews said 8-10 hours? I might be misremembering though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Macaluso posted:

Speaking of, how old is Ciri supposed to be? Was she still a teenager or something the last time Geralt sees her in the books?

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010
Here's a wonderful gallery of screenshots from the PC version in ultra, apparently (no spoilers).

The game looks undeniably pretty... except for some weird grass patches that I'm sure will be improved but it really looks fantastic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127773964@N03/sets/72157652536729480

Here's hoping I will be able to replicate this level of graphical fidelity.

Also, serious question: does the horse eat grass? drink water? poop?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tony_Montana posted:

Also, serious question: does the horse eat grass? drink water? poop?

I'm going to guess no.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
those screenshots look awesome but this one confused me:

(will spoiler if random images count as spoilers? dunno)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

those screenshots look awesome but this one confused me:

(will spoiler if random images count as spoilers? dunno)

That's one of the older witchers in Geralt's Wolf Clan.