Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Just a heads-up in case you guys didn't know, but I'm pretty sure you all already do, Kissmanga offers a much better reading experience by loading all the pages at once and letting you scroll down through them: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-042--And-Now--The-Finals?id=229066

(Maybe a little less revenue-generating because doesn't load as many pages/ads, but it's a better experience)

I actually prefer to go page-by-page. It feels like a more authentic reading experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Stain's quirk is clearly the power of 90's grimdark comic books.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

We have Deathstroke, now I'm a little afraid of what MHA-edition Deadpool is going to be like.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Level Slide posted:

We have Deathstroke, now I'm a little afraid of what MHA-edition Deadpool is going to be like.

It's his twin brother, Killer Hero. Whose name will also cause a debate over meanings when revealed, because they're tight like that.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bakugou and Mineta are my two least favorite characters in MHA.

Bakugou buillied and beat up Midoriya for 10+ years when he had no way to fight back. He threatened to murder him multiple times and continues to do so. When he saw that Midoriya who was formerly defenseless no longer was, he used an attack explicitly meant to murder him. This has never been called out as bad, the only thing about him that has ever been called out is his pride. This was basically the equivalent of a guy who is a master martial artist beating up the scrawny sickly cripple kid. For years.

Mineta is a creepy pervert who is gross and I hope he gets beat up for it.

Edit: Really when you read the first thing I said, it becomes obvious why so many people early on expected Bakugou to become a villain. He is not a good person. He is explicitly a bully who used his strength to pick on the weakest person around him. He tried to kill someone. He is Not Good. And it still hasn't been called out, all that has is 'oh you're too prideful'

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 16, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bakugou is kind of a lovely kid but kids are basically horrid little monsters irl and bakugou's behavior sans powers would not be noteworthy

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Tollymain posted:

bakugou is kind of a lovely kid but kids are basically horrid little monsters irl and bakugou's behavior sans powers would not be noteworthy

Yes, yes it would in fact be noteworthy in real life, because it's still bullying, to the point where Bakugou was using explosions (so, punching, kicking, probably all kinds of violent things!) on someone.

In real life Bakugou would hopefully be caught by the system for bullying someone to the point of them being terrified to even look at them, and expelled/punished/sent to juvie.

It's just made worse because he had literal deadly superpowers when doing it, and was open to threaten using them at a deadly level.

Edit: In this situation, superpowers is a metaphor for guns. Bakugou threatened to shoot Deku to death if he ever stood up to him. This is the real life connotation.

Or maybe other weapons? Bakugou was open to using baseball bats to beat in Deku with his gang of friends, and threatened to bash his skull in if he stood up to him.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

On the other hand they should kiss imo

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when i was a kid my younger brothers would hit me with sticks for because

i'm not saying that bakugou is at all being a good person, just that kids being shits to each other isn't exactly front page news and some of them even grow out of it

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
That's sort of the point with Bakugou though - he's a lovely kid with rage issues that grows up to be able to cause nitro explosions with his sweat. Now he has to actually grow up and realize that simply being born with a good quirk doesn't mean he's actually the best, especially now that he's going up against people with actual skills. He has big fish in a small pond syndrome and he either has to get his act together and grow up past that attitude or end up becoming a villain.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

In real life Bakugou would hopefully be caught by the system for bullying someone to the point of them being terrified to even look at them, and expelled/punished/sent to juvie.

Key word there being hopefully.

Things often don't work out that way.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm pretty sure you're meant to see Bakugou as a product of his environment, who, because of his innately powerful quirk was lauded with praise almost from birth and so became arrogant and conceited about his quirk to that point that when someone he saw as literally beneath him was suddenly being given more recognition by his peers he lashed out due to his endangered pride. Outside of Deku he's been much more restrained in confrontations with other people that I recall, and hasn't wanted to kill any of them or set out specifically to do so. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a victim or anything, but I do think you're meant to sympathize with the circumstances he grew up in and how he turned out to some degree.

While analogies can be drawn to him threatening people with guns or baseball bats, they can also be drawn to him as the natural sports talent who is suddenly having to really try for the first time in his life and is becoming a better person (if not a less abrasive one) due to the experience. Yea, he tried to murder someone - it's the logical extreme of that analogy's reaction to the realization talent will only carry him so far and others, even those he doesn't see as special can surpass him if he doesn't actually try himself.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's been brought up a couple times (I see people everywhere saying either Todoroki or Bakugou are going to be the Sasuke), but I don't see it. Unlike other shonen series, all these kids have a clear goal: become heroes. They do it for different reasons, but they all want to be great heroes. Even Endeavor, great shitlord that he is, has saved countless lives. 'sides, Bakugou is waaaayyy too proud to become a villain.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Except that I'm not talking about Bakugou as we've seen him since the entrance exam. I am discussing Bakugou as we know he has been since the flashback to when they were like 5. Which is to say, bullying, beating up, turning Deku into a nervous wreck afraid of everything. Yes, nowadays Bakugou is realizing he's not the big fish anymore, he can't get together his possee and beat up anyone who looks at him funny. But that does not excuse years of mental anguish and torture that bullying causes, that he did intentionally and with malicious intent to the one kid who had absolutely no way of fighting back.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

Except that I'm not talking about Bakugou as we've seen him since the entrance exam. I am discussing Bakugou as we know he has been since the flashback to when they were like 5. Which is to say, bullying, beating up, turning Deku into a nervous wreck afraid of everything. Yes, nowadays Bakugou is realizing he's not the big fish anymore, he can't get together his possee and beat up anyone who looks at him funny. But that does not excuse years of mental anguish and torture that bullying causes.

And? Your point? What do you think should happen then, especially since Bakugou was raised to believe he was the best and never reprimanded for his behaviours?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I wrote my Master's on child psychology in anime and

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

And? Your point? What do you think should happen then, especially since Bakugou was raised to believe he was the best and never reprimanded for his behaviours?

That he's a bad character, and people shouldn't be acting like he's some amazing great guy? Same with Mineta who is explicitly a perverted sexual harrasser who keeps groping girls against their will.

I mean like him for being basically a villain, but he's a Bad loving Person.

Edit: And I think the hero school should realize he nearly killed a kid multiple times over the years and threatened to do it more, and kick him out! He is certainly lovely enough to deserve his dreams being crushed like that. I don't think it's ever going to happen, but yeah.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

KittyEmpress posted:

Because sending kids to jail for their actions has always resulted in them becoming much better people and never ever habitual repeat offenders.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

KittyEmpress posted:

Except that I'm not talking about Bakugou as we've seen him since the entrance exam. I am discussing Bakugou as we know he has been since the flashback to when they were like 5. Which is to say, bullying, beating up, turning Deku into a nervous wreck afraid of everything. Yes, nowadays Bakugou is realizing he's not the big fish anymore, he can't get together his possee and beat up anyone who looks at him funny. But that does not excuse years of mental anguish and torture that bullying causes.

No-one's asking you to forgive it, only to understand that he was that way at least partially because of the non-stop praise everyone heaped on him for his powers on top of having such violent powers in the first place. If you're born with the natural ability to blow poo poo up at a whim, you're going to use it and you're going to be defined somewhat by that experience. It's the same as the mind-control guy who was shaped by his powers and childhood to believe he could never really be a hero because everyone would view his powers in a certain way, himself included.

When Bakugou was growing up he had a posse of kids who acted as yes men, praising his every action, even his bullying and violence, acting as a reward mechanism and training him to be a violent bully who picked on the weakest and most pathetic person he could find: someone that was, to his posse, sub-superhuman because no-one was around to stand up for that kid.

People like him because he is a flawed and lovely person who is becoming better. They think he's cool because he's an absolute rear end in a top hat and makes no apologies for it, but is actually trying to become a more socially responsible person and a real hero while keeping that attitude. And also because he blows stuff up real good.

As another example, look at Teabag in Prison Break who was a child molesting rapist and murder, but was shaped to be that by his home environment and was one of the best characters on the show despite it because you could understand why he was that way, to the point that at times you wanted to see him win out over other people. Also because his actor was great, but basically, reprehensible people can be cool because of their flawed character if you understand why they're flawed and given reason to sympathize with them as well as to root for them. Which we have been with Bakugou.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 16, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Stallion Cabana posted:

Because sending kids to jail for their actions has always resulted in them becoming much better people and never ever habitual repeat offenders.

Because letting a kid who nearly killed someone multiple times walk free out of fear that they'd get angry and become repeat offenders when they already repeatedly did it is better, yes. We should just stop punishing kids for doing bad things, clearly that will make them be better. Who cares if they stabbed someone multiple times over the course of years!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tollymain posted:

when i was a kid my younger brothers would hit me with sticks for because

lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bakugou is not a good person, but he is a compelling character for a variety of reasons. These two things are not mutually exclusive. Thank you.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

chumbler posted:

Bakugou is not a good person, but he is a compelling character for a variety of reasons. These two things are not mutually exclusive. Thank you.

And yet people keep claiming he should win because he deserves to stand over Deku and has made the most growth, when so far he hasn't done anything in terms of growth except learn that other people could kick his rear end if he tried to treat them like he did Deku.

Bakugou can grow into a good character who is compelling and far from where he started. So far he has done jack poo poo of that, as much as you guys like to act like he has.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

KittyEmpress posted:

Because letting a kid who nearly killed someone multiple times walk free out of fear that they'd get angry and become repeat offenders when they already repeatedly did it is better, yes. We should just stop punishing kids for doing bad things, clearly that will make them be better. Who cares if they stabbed someone multiple times over the course of years!

I wasn't aware Bakugou had murdered someone before. Thank you for clarifying. Yes! Send him to Jail!

Bakugou was a terrible rear end in a top hat, I'm not denying that. But this is a manga about a world where superpowers have become commonplace. Certainly, from our understanding, threatening to use his quirk on Deku is terrible. But from the prospective of MHA, there's no way Bakugou is the only kid with a powerful Quirk who has used it to bully others.

And this is a cartoon anyway, of course things that happen are going to be increased in scale; Bakugou's a bully, so he does bully things. Those bully things are increased in scale as a natural consequence of the medium.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Bakugou can grow into a good character who is compelling and far from where he started. So far he has done jack poo poo of that, as much as you guys like to act like he has.

No, Bakugou hasn't come far from where he started. But he most definitely has changed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol if you think a kid like that would normally get 'caught by the system' here in the us

Also this is a manga. If he was just 'kind of an rear end in a top hat' he wouldn't be terribly interesting. Like Todoroki can't just have an overbearing "bad dad", he had to be the literal result of planned eugenics marriage, physically/mentally abused by his father, than watch his mom be sent away when his father's abuse of her rendered her deranged enough to permanently scar him in a PTSD flashback.

Bakugou needs a strong arc to really break away from the frankly awful little poo poo he started as, and Horikoshi seems to be pretty good so we'll hopefully get one after he finishes traumatizing everyone else.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Bakugou is a good "Character" in that he is well-realized individual who behaves realistically within the context he has found himself. He fills an important role in the story and I would not replace him for anybody.

Bakugou is a bad "Person" in that he is an petty bully who picks on the weak and would lash out against someone who saved his life if he thought they were better than him. I find it difficult to like him and root for him.

I think My Hero Academia is better with Bakugou than without. I think he is a character written with a purpose and I think he fulfills that purpose just fine. He is a good in that he makes quality contributions to the plot, setting, and themes of the story. He is bad in that he is a raging dickbag who is fond of using violence and intimidation to get his way.

Bakugou is a solid character but please don't be surprised when people like Kitty or myself don't celebrate him. Feels like half this debate is caused by people who like Bakugou reading "Good' as "Quality" while the people who don't are reading "Good" as "Moral."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Go go Todoroki.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I like the parts where Bakugou calls people fuckers and blows them up.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I would like Explosion Man to beat Todoroki's full power because I want Endeavor's eyes to shoot out of his head.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Hell yeah

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

I do as well, friend.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also yeah that being said I hope Bakugou kicks the poo poo out of Todoroki, but that last page is like rife with loser flags so Todoroki will probably walk over him.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Ok, i'll stick it out to chapter 10. Big thanks fellas!

Well???

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I actually wanted Fumikage to win the entire tournament because the idea that the current 'strongest in the class' character isn't even one of the main characters would be cool.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Stallion Cabana posted:

I actually wanted Fumikage to win the entire tournament because the idea that the current 'strongest in the class' character isn't even one of the main characters would be cool.

I was hoping he'd be the dark horse of the tournament. Maybe the fact that he at least made it to 3rd means we'll get more of him.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It's probably for the best, since he would've had an even worse matchup against Todoroki. He's obviously pretty strong but these two in particular, in addition to being top tier quirks, are as close to his elemental weakness as we've seen so far.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'd also like to see more of Fumikage, but I'm hoping we'll get some focus on the rest of the class now, now that I can remember his name. Like Ashido, she seems cool, but I had to look up her name because I didn't remember it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terper posted:

I'd also like to see more of Fumikage, but I'm hoping we'll get some focus on the rest of the class now, now that I can remember his name. Like Ashido, she seems cool, but I had to look up her name because I didn't remember it.

Ashido has some pretty bad fashion sense, though. That purple and teal animal print bodysuit is dreadful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

chumbler posted:

Ashido has some pretty bad fashion sense, though. That purple and teal animal print bodysuit is dreadful.

I keep wondering when Midoriya's weird mascot costume is gonna show up again myself.