Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ChickenHeart posted:

Also, I know that it's deliberately kept ambiguous as to when this movie takes place, but does anyone feel like it could be wedged between Mad Max and the Road Warrior? The presence of the music box is pretty much the only thing I'm going off of.

This is from a ways back in the thread, but I listened to an interview with Miller where the music box was asked about, and Miller said that it played a different tune so it was a different one, and honestly he'd simply forgotten that he used a music box previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I really loved every time Immortan Joe's war party started to show up on the horizon and you could just barely hear the Doof Warrior jamming out.

Let's take a moment to discuss the dope as gently caress character names in this movie. Zoe Kravitz's character is named Toast The Knowing, which owns extremely hard.

It's like the Jaws theme. You hear that guitar blaring and you know danger is close by. They do that first aerial shot to show the war party approaching Furiosa in the truck, and I loved that they didn't even have to do a closeup to let you see who it is, you just hear that guitar line and you know exactly what's going on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Crappy Jack posted:

It's like the Jaws theme. You hear that guitar blaring and you know danger is close by. They do that first aerial shot to show the war party approaching Furiosa in the truck, and I loved that they didn't even have to do a closeup to let you see who it is, you just hear that guitar line and you know exactly what's going on.

What's going on is loving awesome things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQBnlWAMq_Q

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

feedmyleg posted:

This is from a ways back in the thread, but I listened to an interview with Miller where the music box was asked about, and Miller said that it played a different tune so it was a different one, and honestly he'd simply forgotten that he used a music box previously.

Didn't the Max of the original films have a son, not a daughter? That would give me an impression that this is a re-imagining of both his character and his world.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

one of the other girls is named cheeto the fragile, which i can only assume means that she's a cousin of dorito dink

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Nelson Mandela posted:

My showing of this was preceded by trailers for Jurassic World and Terminator: Genisys. Uninspired, CGI guff. I lost all hope for Hollywood upon seeing those again.

Then I watched Fury Road and it was the greatest film in years and all is right in the world and I'm going to see it again oh god I need to see it again oh god-

Mine too. The fuckin Terminator one gave away the "twist" too.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I really loved every time Immortan Joe's war party started to show up on the horizon and you could just barely hear the Doof Warrior jamming out.

Let's take a moment to discuss the dope as gently caress character names in this movie. Zoe Kravitz's character is named Toast The Knowing, which owns extremely hard.

The Organic Mechanic!

The Doof Wagon was the cherry on top of the sundae of insanity and it is glorious but I really dug the Bullet Farmer's Valiant Ripsaw too.

The previews I got were awful, I walked out during Jurassic Park to grab a drink and came back to The Rock in a rescue chopper.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

second-hand smegma posted:

Didn't the Max of the original films have a son, not a daughter? That would give me an impression that this is a re-imagining of both his character and his world.

It doesn't necessarily have to be his daughter that he's seeing. We see tons of flashes of people from his past, none of whom seem to be people we've actually seen from past movies. The general idea is that it's whatever symbol of innocence and purity his mind whips up. He's a crazy person, after all.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There were two very bizarre car ads after the main ads and trailers in my cinema. In one an Audi gave birth rather painfully to another Audi (my main thought was 'I hope the mum-car is okay), and in the other a human incarnation of a BMW tried to sell me his car-self. I suppose that they were effective in that I remembered what they were trying to sell me, but still, pretty odd.

re: Other trailers - nothing else in the action genre looked worth seeing this year :(

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fantastic film etc etc

I was wondering though, are there any other funny MRA postings besides that Aaron Clarey guy? His article was hilarious and I need more red pill tears.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Angrymog posted:

There were two very bizarre car ads after the main ads and trailers in my cinema. In one an Audi gave birth rather painfully to another Audi (my main thought was 'I hope the mum-car is okay), and in the other a human incarnation of a BMW tried to sell me his car-self. I suppose that they were effective in that I remembered what they were trying to sell me, but still, pretty odd.

re: Other trailers - nothing else in the action genre looked worth seeing this year :(

Furious 7 was a pretty good action joint, but not on Fury Road's level. But I think Fury Road might be the most important action movie since The Matrix, or maybe Terminator 2.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I also remember reading several times in the past that this Mad Max is supposed to be a re-imagining. The mere fate of the interceptor is more than enough evidence of this.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Batham posted:

I also remember reading several times in the past that this Mad Max is supposed to be a re-imagining. The mere fate of the interceptor is more than enough evidence of this.
its blown to poo poo in the other films too it always turns up

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

straight up brolic posted:

its blown to poo poo in the other films too it always turns up

It's only blown to poo poo in Mad Max 2 and doesn't turn up for Mad Max 3.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There's a lot of soubdtrack talk. I've ordered a copy off of Amazon along with the It Follows soundtrack. I can not wait until I'm driving my car with it blaring on my lovely sound system. :black101:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Do not even ask posted:

Loved the movie (especially since there was no Bruce Spence or equivalent in it) but for some reason the film having a "happy ending" is really bugging me and I don't know why.
Well, Furiosa and the Wives need to have a happy ending if they're going to continue telling Max's story.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

For some value of happy. They've still gotta negotiate with whoever ends up ruling bullet and gas towns. And buzzards. And biker gangs. And you know, usual wasteland poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

It doesn't necessarily have to be his daughter that he's seeing. We see tons of flashes of people from his past, none of whom seem to be people we've actually seen from past movies. The general idea is that it's whatever symbol of innocence and purity his mind whips up. He's a crazy person, after all.

I considered that but the girl calls him 'daddy' several times. I mean, even the world itself seems different enough (on purpose) from the previous films.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Batham posted:

It's only blown to poo poo in Mad Max 2 and doesn't turn up for Mad Max 3.

It should get blown up in every sequel from now on

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Agreed, the more explosions the better.

Batham fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 16, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Perpetually the last of the V8 interceptors.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And like any true murder hobo At the end Max has finished the questline and is moving to the next zone to continue leveling

This just completely put the series in a new perspective for me. Holy poo poo.

Shoehead posted:

Mine too. The fuckin Terminator one gave away the "twist" too.

This pissed me off to no end because that is something that looked seriously cool to not have a clue about going in to.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 16, 2015

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, I really disliked the soundtrack to this.

Word? I loved it. The drums are really driving and I love the dissonance in the string parts. Also, the fact that the war rig's horn was integrated in the soundtrack was wonderful.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Word? I loved it. The drums are really driving and I love the dissonance in the string parts. Also, the fact that the war rig's horn was integrated in the soundtrack was wonderful.

That stuff was great but I couldn't stand the inappropriate swells when it should have just been silent.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tommy 2.0 posted:

This just completely put the series in a new perspective for me. Holy poo poo.

I really do love the way that at the end Upon seeing a massive seen of happiness and unity Max instinctively HAS to withdraw from it, from society, still not moving on. To quote Papagallo "You're a maggot Max, living off the corpse of the old world."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gonna listen to the entire OST while at work.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I really appreciate the irony of this movie coming out the same year as the new Terminator film

(also I'd like to thank studio fuckwits for spoiling the whole 'twist' in the film during the trailer, appreciated, not that I expected it to be good, but ya know)

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

That stuff was great but I couldn't stand the inappropriate swells when it should have just been silent.

Like when? The swells did a good job of amping up in sync with tense or exciting scenes imo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Like when? The swells did a good job of amping up in sync with tense or exciting scenes imo.

I mean to score the emotional stuff. It was entirely unnecessary.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

victrix posted:

I really appreciate the irony of this movie coming out the same year as the new Terminator film

(also I'd like to thank studio fuckwits for spoiling the whole 'twist' in the film during the trailer, appreciated, not that I expected it to be good, but ya know)

2015 has been a year for a new Star Wars, Terminator, Jurassic Park, and Mad Max. So far, Star Wars is the only one of those to get nearly the amount of excitement as Mad Max and almost entirely based on its status as an impossibly famous legacy series.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It felt like the best part of the Road Warrior writ large and that's pretty much exactly what I wanted. It was also quite beautiful, and the doof wagon was amazing.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

You are. They tattoo him, but the guy approaching him with the branding iron is what makes Max start fighting the War Boys and running off. They never actually have a chance to brand him. Unless maybe they do it off screen when he's in the cage, but we don't ever actually see him actually get branded, nor do we ever see a branding mark on him.

It's because they branded him on the butt like a cow. They did have him bent over when they were gonna do it before he stopped them so I can only assume they dragged him back.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Panzeh posted:

It felt like the best part of the Road Warrior writ large and that's pretty much exactly what I wanted. It was also quite beautiful, and the doof wagon was amazing.

Fury Road literally jumps into an intensity on par with the finale of The Road Warrior within 20 minutes and builds on that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^ All things in perspective of their own times, but yeah, Fury Road is a lot more in your face than Road Warrior. Road Warrior has an incredible mood, it's very cold and withdrawn and unmerciful. Fury Road may seem like it's cribbing from Road Warrior at first but it's definitely got more of the heart and conscience of Thunderdome.

I mean to score the emotional stuff. It was entirely unnecessary.

I think he means during the scenes with the sandgrannies. Yeah, that stuff should've been left more on the silent end to let the viewer decide how to feel. My only complaint, probably.

All the same, the soundtrack and movie are completely amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 16, 2015

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Was she the dark-haired wife who counts all the different bullets in the war rig and matches them with their weapons? 'Cause she was my favorite.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Was she the dark-haired wife who counts all the different bullets in the war rig and matches them with their weapons? 'Cause she was my favorite.

Yeah, that's her. The other I remember by heart is The Dag (the really sarcastic and waify blonde). Then there's Cheedo the Fragile (the brunette who wants to give up) and Capable (the redhead).

I only vaguely remember how to spell the branded pregnant blonde's name.

Edit: I just remembered something from when I saw it. After the dust storm capping off the first big car chase, the screen goes black and everything silent. I turned to my mom next to me and asked "What the gently caress movie did I just drag you into?"

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

That's fair, I could totally see that as a matter of taste. For me the swells ended up working even if it gave a more melodramatic feel than if it had been silent. It fit with the movie's general over-the-topness.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
And with all that, it still looks like it'll lose to Pitch Perfect 2 at the boxoffice. I just don't get it, every garbage transformers movie is able to open to a 100 million no problem, here we have the most acclaimed movie of the year, wall to wall advertising, and STILL people don't go to theaters to see it.

It's becoming clear the audience deserves lovely movies, because they sure as poo poo don't reward the great ones.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

bullet3 posted:

And with all that, it still looks like it'll lose to Pitch Perfect 2 at the boxoffice. I just don't get it, every garbage transformers movie is able to open to a 100 million no problem, here we have the most acclaimed movie of the year, wall to wall advertising, and STILL people don't go to theaters to see it.

It's becoming clear the audience deserves lovely movies, because they sure as poo poo don't reward the great ones.

the first Max movie has to get cult status, so the second can dominate before the third Ewoks us to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Vogler posted:

This movie could have been great but it wasn't. Every goddamn second of it was filled with horrible Hans Zimmer-esque music. You have an electronic guitar with a wall of amplifiers and dozens of war drums in your entourage, let them do the talking, no reason to drown everything out with that awful ketchup poo poo. It made it feel like every high budget action movie from the last five years.

Also, Tom Hardy was awful. "My name is Max, ehrr ehrr." *awful melodramatic music* Was that supposed to make us feel sad? The only inspired thing about the movie were the esthetics, especially the costumes which may have been the best in any movie ever.

But the drums and the guitars did do the talking? I don't know, man - I just disagree with you completely. Different tastes, I guess, but drat if the soundtrack wasn't perfect for this. And the sound-design. I thought it elevated the film, like a good soundtrack does.

• Locked thread