Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

davebo posted:

Yes, bad news for residents of Ehra-Lessien since I imagine that's the only place that dragon could actually fly. The Nardo ring and that one in Texas are round so I can't think of any other place it could actually go that fast.
They were able to hit 278mph with the M2K Motorsports Ford GT in Texas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZX6Y8O3tI0

I'd imagine that VAG has the money to rent a suitable place if a dedicated road/track doesn't exist. On a random note, they stopped using twin turbo Vipers for standing mile attempts because the torque from its V10 was destroying even the stoutest aftermarket transmissions.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'll wait to officially make my judgement until better stuff gets released, but it looks like a total :effort: facelift instead of an all new car. Call it evolutionary all you want, from what's been released it looks like it might be hard to tell it apart from the current facelifted model. Who knows, it might fix a few of my visual complaints with the current car by being just slightly rounder.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tekne posted:

They were able to hit 278mph with the M2K Motorsports Ford GT in Texas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZX6Y8O3tI0

I'd imagine that VAG has the money to rent a suitable place if a dedicated road/track doesn't exist.

Difference being aftermarket speed demons can crank the power waaaay up to be able to hit those speeds in a much shorter distance, cars have been in the 230-250 range at Texas for years. With Top Fuel cars being the absolute extreme of this.

The Veyron hits "just over 200", for comparison.

The real trick with that and the upcoming Bugatti is reaching those speed with a car that will survive to the end of the warranty period, and can do other things besides accelerate in a straight line. That means a slippery body and the minimum power needed to reach the speed at all, so they usually take a much longer run to hit max speed. When Top Gear did the Veyron top speed run, they had a 120 MPH head start, and still needed the better portion of a 5 and a half mile straight to hit 250; the times I can find say it takes 55 seconds to go 0-250, compared with about 20 for the GT above to hit almost 280.

Point being that far fewer places where a car like that can hit those speeds even exist, let alone able to be rented.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Enourmo posted:

Difference being aftermarket speed demons can crank the power waaaay up to be able to hit those speeds in a much shorter distance, cars have been in the 230-250 range at Texas for years. With Top Fuel cars being the absolute extreme of this.

The Veyron hits "just over 200", for comparison.

The real trick with that and the upcoming Bugatti is reaching those speed with a car that will survive to the end of the warranty period, and can do other things besides accelerate in a straight line. That means a slippery body and the minimum power needed to reach the speed at all, so they usually take a much longer run to hit max speed. When Top Gear did the Veyron top speed run, they had a 120 MPH head start, and still needed the better portion of a 5 and a half mile straight to hit 250; the times I can find say it takes 55 seconds to go 0-250, compared with about 20 for the GT above to hit almost 280.

Point being that far fewer places where a car like that can hit those speeds even exist, let alone able to be rented.

Apparently the design for the Veyron was drawn first and then the engineers were told "make that thing hit the target speed" which is just rear end backwards, honestly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The way I heard it was they built an engine and then had to design a car for it to go into.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mange Mite posted:

Apparently the design for the Veyron was drawn first and then the engineers were told "make that thing hit the target speed" which is just rear end backwards, honestly.

Really? The Veyron styling is atrocious. Maybe they just hacked the poo poo out of it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Really? The Veyron styling is atrocious. Maybe they just hacked the poo poo out of it.

No they released the original sketches and concepts, it's just an ugly design and apparently an aerodynamic nightmare.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Veyron's not my cup of tea but I get the approach, especially for bizarre halo car. The Veyron looks like nothing else on the road and has enough of a tie styling wise to the Bugatti legacy.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Veyron's not my cup of tea but I get the approach, especially for bizarre halo car. The Veyron looks like nothing else on the road and has enough of a tie styling wise to the Bugatti legacy.

I agree. It's a rounded wedgish thing that looks like an impossible future car and is powered by an equally impossible engine. It's ugly and perfect.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think they look gorgeous. But that's probably because I know what they are and what that means. If they weren't a masterpiece of engineering, I'd probably think they were hideous.

At least they don't look like every other supercar.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

fknlo posted:

I'll wait to officially make my judgement until better stuff gets released, but it looks like a total :effort: facelift instead of an all new car. Call it evolutionary all you want, from what's been released it looks like it might be hard to tell it apart from the current facelifted model. Who knows, it might fix a few of my visual complaints with the current car by being just slightly rounder.

The exterior facelift is pretty :effort:, but the important thing really is the change to the Alpha platform (and losing 200 pounds), the update to the engine lineup, and a (hopefully) completely redesigned interior.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Veyron is the ground based version of the F-4

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Bugatti is French, so it's like the Tarrasque, not some scrub dragon.

The new Camaro looks like the car the current Camaro promised to be. The rear isn't particularly terrible, but it doesn't live up to the more refined front and sides.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

BoostCreep posted:

It looks pretty much the same to me. Is this a brand new car? I mean I don't like the looks of the current Camaro either, so maybe it's just lost on me.

I like the looks of it, but it reminds me of the Mustang refresh between the '09 and '10 model years -A refinement more than a complete makeover. Which isn't a terrible thing; I know a lot of people that love the styling of the current Camaro way more than the Mustangs or Challenger.

If it's lighter, faster, and more fuel efficient (and a Transformer), GM won't have a problem moving them.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KillHour posted:

The way I heard it was they built an engine and then had to design a car for it to go into.

As God intended.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KillHour posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Bugatti is like the dragon that sleeps for a hundred years just to wake up and wipe out a village because people were starting to forget who's boss.

I guess they decided Koenigsegg was starting to get uppity with the Regera and needed a reminder.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

They did it. They made the fukken windows smaller lol

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bumming Your Scene posted:

They did it. They made the fukken windows smaller lol

This is a war crime

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It visually appears smaller which fixes one of my biggest issues with the previous car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Some more pictures:

4 cylinder 2.0 liter turbo 272HP
6 cylinder 3.6 liter 330HP
8 cylinder 6.2 liter 440HP

Not gonna lie, my initial impression is that it's a huge improvement over the current one.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Those windows are loving hilariously small, holy poo poo what were they thinking. Literally everyone's biggest complaint about the last gen was the small windows, so they decided to amplify that? loving GM...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With the camaro losing weight and the mustang gaining, the camaro could be 100-150lbs lighter than the mustang, and more powerful.

Ford's response should be interesting.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It looks better than the last ones, but gently caress those windows wow. All you are going to see is the middle of the driver's ear on up.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

At this point I imagine they were sized exactly to fit a typical drive-through window order, and no larger.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

With the camaro losing weight and the mustang gaining, the camaro could be 100-150lbs lighter than the mustang, and more powerful.

Ford's response should be interesting.

They're going to make a commercial bemoaning the weakness of the aluminum Camaro and the touting the strength of their steel Mustang.

Just like submarines

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 16, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

buggered with it a bit

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
GM, snatching defeat from the hands of victory. nice ATS platform, good v8 engines, and they gently caress it up making it a bunker to drive again. How loving hard can it be to just make the proportions different?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

coolskillrex remix posted:

GM, snatching defeat from the hands of victory. nice ATS platform, good v8 engines, and they gently caress it up making it a bunker to drive again. How loving hard can it be to just make the proportions different?

The previous generation got the same complaints and it still outsold the Mustang, so...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
another hideous GM vehicle you say :stonkhat:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

The previous generation got the same complaints and it still outsold the Mustang, so...

something something justin beiber record sales something something something

I would guess most people here other than throatwarbler care more about having a good vehicle as an option than their favorite manufacturer selling more than the one they don't like.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

fknlo posted:

Some more pictures:

4 cylinder 2.0 liter turbo 272HP
6 cylinder 3.6 liter 330HP
8 cylinder 6.2 liter 440HP

Not gonna lie, my initial impression is that it's a huge improvement over the current one.
All I see is the 2015 Camaro. Is the 2016 hiding somewhere?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The tiny windows are so dumb and ugly

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looking at pictures of the 2015 Mustang and it's not like it has some 90's Volvo greenhouse either.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

fknlo posted:

Looking at pictures of the 2015 Mustang and it's not like it has some 90's Volvo greenhouse either.

Sit in both.

Also why does the Camaro have a toilet lid for a hood

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

iwentdoodie posted:

Sit in both.

Also why does the Camaro have a toilet lid for a hood

#1 Reason the NC looks lovely.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

buggered with it a bit

Yeah it could be saved by bringing the beltline down just a little bit. Forgive the hackjob, but:

I didn't really move it that much and I think that has a pretty significant change on how it looks. A bit more proportional, I think.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

MrChips posted:

They're going to make a commercial bemoaning the weakness of the aluminum Camaro and the touting the strength of their steel Mustang.

Just like submarines

I assumed an aluminum mustang is a natural evolution of the f-150.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
i for one will welcome our aluminum overlords

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I should probably invest in aluminium or something since it's going to be the next wonder material for cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

New Camaro is the old Camaro after encountering a swarm of angry bees.