Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

CJacobs posted:

Conveniently, that's the only argument I personally would try to make, so I'm glad I have your approval that it is in fact a valid argument, forums user everythingWasBees

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lorn Wayne posted:

Yeah instead of being overfunded by 1.5 million with just under a month to go, he could've been overfunded by 1.7 million.

I can't help if a nerd and his money are soon parted.

He coulda made the video ten minutes of him taking a giant poo poo and would've got millions doesn't make his pitch video not dumb as hell.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Yaos posted:

I've been looking for a microcontroller hand held device that cramps my hands and strains my eyes. I thought I would never find it, but Arduboy has saved the day.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/903888394/arduboy-card-sized-gaming

It's also less powerful than the original Gameboy released in 1989. The CPU is ~8x faster, but it has a 2-color 128x64 OLED vs the GB's 4-color 160 × 144 LCD, has a beeper instead of a real speaker, ~8x less RAM (2.5KB vs 16KB), and has 6 buttons instead of 8. It also doesn't have a dedicated video chip.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Do you want to play lovely black-and-white ripoffs of 8-bit games from twenty years ago, on a tiny handheld, with a postage-stamp sized screen? Well do I have the console for you

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Elysiume posted:

Do you want to play lovely black-and-white ripoffs of 8-bit games from twenty years ago, on a tiny handheld, with a postage-stamp sized screen? Well do I have the console for you

Isn't that just a POP Station?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Does every tech kickstarter no matter how bad or unnecessary make like 10-100x its goal?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Groovelord Neato posted:

Does every tech kickstarter no matter how bad or unnecessary make like 10-100x its goal?

If you build it around an Atmel 8-bit microcontroller and give it a name evocative of "Arduino" (a popular hobby kit that uses such a microcontroller) then yes, yes it will

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tippis posted:

Isn't that just a POP Station?

Nah, most POP Stations have bigger screens than that.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And most of them sadly don't have the pinnacle of POP gaming, Chanticleer Hegemony.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

BattleMaster posted:

If you build it around an Atmel 8-bit microcontroller and give it a name evocative of "Arduino" (a popular hobby kit that uses such a microcontroller) then yes, yes it will

In says in the pitch that it's powered by Arduino, which makes sense since Arduino is usually shorthand for "somebody who is super into the 'maker' scene but isn't actually good at engineering or design or programming'

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

In says in the pitch that it's powered by Arduino, which makes sense since Arduino is usually shorthand for "somebody who is super into the 'maker' scene but isn't actually good at engineering or design or programming'

I have a sneaking suspicion you have no clue what you're talking about :allears:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Only thing this console needs is a exclusive game about a fedora-clad stick man going around quoting xkcd at people.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mortimer posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion you have no clue what you're talking about :allears:

lol if you don't realize that a solid majority of arduino fanboys never advance beyond the training wheels stage because actual engineers keep spoonfeeding them with code snippets and shields that do everything for them

that's not slamming the engineers though, engineering is about making money in the end and the durrduino community is a great source of income for low effort

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 10:09 on May 17, 2015

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
8 bit atmels seriously rule thought

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

unpacked robinhood posted:

8 bit atmels seriously rule thought

i use pics myself but i can't think of anything bad to say about AVRs

i'm thinking i should switch just so i can fleece 'makers' with too much money though

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

i use pics myself but i can't think of anything bad to say about AVRs

It's super easy to read protected code off AVRs compared to PICs. It's pretty awesome when you want to clone some stuff on the cheap.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
From the PYF Schadenfreude thread:

MisterBibs posted:

I don't feel much Schaden over this, but somebody might:

Some game company had just reached their level for their Kickstarter, but then the 7k donation someone made was revoked as a troll and whatever it was wouldn't get funded. Now they don't know what to do. :smith:

These guys livestreamed their celebration when they apparently met their goal but then they suddenly lost €7,000 half an hour before the deadline and failed. It looks like someone found a bunch of Kickstarter projects which were just about to end but were thousands of dollars short of their goals and made a bunch of fake pledges to make them think they were successful but when Kickstarter realised what was happening they deleted the pledges.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

From the PYF Schadenfreude thread:

These guys livestreamed their celebration when they apparently met their goal but then they suddenly lost €7,000 half an hour before the deadline and failed. It looks like someone found a bunch of Kickstarter projects which were just about to end but were thousands of dollars short of their goals and made a bunch of fake pledges to make them think they were successful but when Kickstarter realised what was happening they deleted the pledges.

Kickstarter has a bunch of rules to make sure your troll donations can't gently caress with a project funding, now they are deleting the pledges themselves, it makes 0 sense.

yoloer420 posted:

It's super easy to read protected code off AVRs compared to PICs. It's pretty awesome when you want to clone some stuff on the cheap.

I'd like to know more if you happened to have a link, it would spare me some scrolling forum posts by indians

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Zaphod42 posted:

Spain has been putting solar panels up in its cemeteries. They provide shade for people visiting and people don't really visit all that often anyways.

Seems pretty much perfect to me, compared to roads which are heavily trafficked. Just do building roofs and cemeteries first.

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/bike-lane-down-center-korean-highway-covered-solar-panels.html

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kickstarter has a bunch of rules to make sure your troll donations can't gently caress with a project funding, now they are deleting the pledges themselves, it makes 0 sense.

Makes sense to be if the fake donations were made by the project creators themselves trying to look more impressive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mortimer posted:

That's becoming readily apparent.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Kickstarter doesn't let you take back your pledge if it goes below the goal in the last 24h, but, the payment can still fail afterwards (credit limit, expired card, etc) and the project will be "successful" and underfunded.

So I imagine they deleted them because it was a specifically reported user that would've made a bunch of projects end up with a significant chunk of money missing either way.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

It turned out that the 7K pledge was done with a stolen credit card, so Kickstarter didn't really have a choice here.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

SupSuper posted:

...a specifically reported user that would've made a bunch of projects end up with a significant chunk of money missing either way.

It's still Kickstarter. Regardless of whether it's a scam or due to incompetence, projects are going to end up with a significant chunk of money missing either way.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

What, another Minecraft-clone kickstarter you say?

Voxelnauts

Tagline: one universe, infinite worlds, with possibilities limited only by your imagination. Your adventure awaits - come build it

Things going for it:
  • Sandbox world
  • Encourages modding from the get-go
  • Multiple worlds
  • Angel investors have already put up $1million to get this thing going
Things against it:
  • Initial video sprinkled with copyrighted assets of pokemon and other entities
  • Asking only $200k to finish it ...
  • ... in June of 2015.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

fondue posted:

What, another Minecraft-clone kickstarter you say?

Voxelnauts

Tagline: one universe, infinite worlds, with possibilities limited only by your imagination. Your adventure awaits - come build it

Things going for it:
  • Sandbox world
  • Encourages modding from the get-go
  • Multiple worlds
  • Angel investors have already put up $1million to get this thing going
Things against it:
  • Initial video sprinkled with copyrighted assets of pokemon and other entities
  • Asking only $200k to finish it ...
  • ... in June of 2015.

I'm concerned why this is an MMO and not just another single player/ server based multiplayer game. Being an MMO puts tons of limits on it.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Sandbox, MMO, Voxel, VR, Oculus, Infinite. It has so many buzzwords in it that it can't possibly materialize but it will most likely be funded.

Cerevisiae has a new favorite as of 03:14 on May 20, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It's using a blockchain for asset tracking, according to a goon involved in the project. There's been quite a bit of argument about it in the Kickstarter Gaming thread.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Psygnosis posted:

I'm concerned why this is an MMO and not just another single player/ server based multiplayer game. Being an MMO puts tons of limits on it.
We call it an MMO for how we allow players to retain their inventory as they travel from one Planet to another Planet (Server to Server).

Lemon King has a new favorite as of 04:37 on May 20, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

senrath posted:

It's using a blockchain for asset tracking, according to a goon involved in the project. There's been quite a bit of argument about it in the Kickstarter Gaming thread.

Does that mean I can give myself heatstroke generating new assets?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Yaos posted:

Does that mean I can give myself heatstroke generating new assets?
Sadly it's only the blockchain part, not the mining or coins or anything else. Maybe if you send them all your bitcoins this can change.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

EightDeer posted:

It turned out that the 7K pledge was done with a stolen credit card, so Kickstarter didn't really have a choice here.

What the? "hum I just stolen a credit card, lets use it to fund my favorite video game" :psyduck:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Most likely it was someone trolling.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Blockchain? More like blowchain.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I'm surprised this hasn't seen a single dime but maybe even bronies can determine a poo poo idea twice a day.

risks and challenges posted:

none what so ever

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

"Risks and challenges

No risks what so ever"

Except for not getting funded, apparently.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Noyemi K posted:

I'm surprised this hasn't seen a single dime but maybe even bronies can determine a poo poo idea twice a day.
I think the idea is to make a site for him to use to get laid.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Noyemi K posted:

Ummmm...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Noyemi K posted:

I suspect the brony ship has sailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

steinrokkan posted:

I suspect the brony ship has sailed.

Yeah now Stephen Universe is the new hotness for awkward manchildren to project onto.