Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I don't get it :negative:

They'll be pulling this poo poo all summer long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Games with points are math exercises; if you aren't calculating you aren't playing.

Ehh I dunno. Heuristics and intuition go a long way. If someone else is taking several minutes to math things while others are not and they aren't any more competitive than I would assume they just aren't making the right generalizations and heuristics that the other players are.

Generally the good games can't just be plugged into an algebraic solver in your head since they are way to complex for that. There are some mediocre games out there tho that throw a lot of little arithmetic problems at players tho, but gently caress those games

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I don't get it :negative:

He's drinking a pina colada at Trader Vick's

The funny bit is I first got exposed to Zevon when someone mentioned Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner for a Twilight Struggle soundtrack.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

StashAugustine posted:

He's drinking a pina colada at Trader Vick's

The funny bit is I first got exposed to Zevon when someone mentioned Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner for a Twilight Struggle soundtrack.

Trader Vic's

Which so happens to be one of my favorite restaurants ever. Crab rangoon there is amazing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If someone is really taking much longer for their turn than the other players it's because they're almost certainly worse at the game than everyone else, in my experience. Obviously if "everyone else" is just slapping pieces on the board randomly that may not be the case, but AP is often an expression of someone failing to grasp the mechanics of the game on some fundamental level. Pretty much what fozzy said.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

nimby posted:

You could use the Warfare strategy card to give yourself the extra movement to strike 3 systems far.

Which opens up wonderful strategies for the player in the 'worst' spot in 5 and 7 player games. You can snipe a neighbour's homeworld on turn 1 if they're not paying attention.

Yeah, but that can be seen coming, the same with Gravity Drive. That's why I said surprise attack.

Now granted, if you've already passed then someone needing two turns to set up a strike like that doesn't affect you, but if you're in a position where you have to pass before someone used Warfare and you don't have a strategy counter to move a ship into blockade (or they have Light/Wave Deflectors) then you got outplayed, simple as that. But in basically every conventional scenario the two farther away players in 5/7 player games are so much safer it's not even funny.

EvilChameleon posted:

The word you were looking for was mancala, but your analogy still doesn't make sense.

I was app posting, so I fatfingered and missed the mistake. Anyway, my point was that both have a bunch of different ways to gather points (they both even have an similar increasing scoring category in science and goods) with a similar levels of interaction. They just have a different core mechanic in drafting versus mancala.

Also, more importantly, I'd say if you like one you'll like the other. They're not Dominion-Puzzle Strike similar, but I'd make a case for Five Tribes having enough in common with 7 Wonders for the analogy to work.

Granted, it could just be that there's a better analogue to Five Tribes and I just haven't played it. This is very possible.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 16, 2015

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

EvilChameleon posted:

The word you were looking for was mancala, but your analogy still doesn't make sense.

Myrmes is Five Tribes, but instead of mandala you have mandibles

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Countblanc posted:

If someone is really taking much longer for their turn than the other players it's because they're almost certainly worse at the game than everyone else, in my experience. Obviously if "everyone else" is just slapping pieces on the board randomly that may not be the case, but AP is often an expression of someone failing to grasp the mechanics of the game on some fundamental level. Pretty much what fozzy said.

Some people seem to truly believe that three other people showed up at the game table purely to give them an opportunity to calculate and recalculate and then do something and then take it back and go back into calculation mode. They do not seem to care about how their behavior impacts others enjoyment.

I think this is rude and if it continues I'll say something. Everyone wants to have a good time, do everything you can to make that happen goddammit.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Sometimes this is true, sometimes it's a case of inattentiveness, and sometimes it really is just people over thinking an otherwise simplistic scenario.

Lorini posted:

Some people seem to truly believe that three other people showed up at the game table purely to give them an opportunity to calculate and recalculate and then do something and then take it back and go back into calculation mode. They do not seem to care about how their behavior impacts others enjoyment.

I think this is rude and if it continues I'll say something. Everyone wants to have a good time, do everything you can to make that happen goddammit.

A part of me wonders if Vlaada grew up with people yelling at him for taking too long in board games so he intentionally designed games where at some point everyone goes into "solo mode" and fiddles around to find the optimal sequence of moves.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Frisk posted:

Pack up the thread, we're done here.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

al-azad posted:

A part of me wonders if Vlaada grew up with people yelling at him for taking too long in board games so he intentionally designed games where at some point everyone goes into "solo mode" and fiddles around to find the optimal sequence of moves.

I think if Vlaada had AP he wouldn't have made so many games with real-time components.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think if Vlaada had AP he wouldn't have made so many games with real-time components.

Maybe it's part of his board game-based therapy.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Ehh I dunno. Heuristics and intuition go a long way. If someone else is taking several minutes to math things while others are not and they aren't any more competitive than I would assume they just aren't making the right generalizations and heuristics that the other players are.

Generally the good games can't just be plugged into an algebraic solver in your head since they are way to complex for that. There are some mediocre games out there tho that throw a lot of little arithmetic problems at players tho, but gently caress those games

I think this is the core of it. I don't bother with counting up exact points and such until the last 10-15% of the game (depending on game), or until right before a scoring period. Until that point, I more or less just go off of gut feeling of what the gamestate is, with occasional checks on the resources of other players so that I can figure out where I'm at.

The other thing that helps me and a friend of mine who also doesn't have AP is to just pick a strategy at the start and run with it. It doesn't always work, but it does teach you something useful about the game and about what may or may not work in the future. We mostly do that for the first few plays of a new game though, since at that point none of us have adequately explored all of the strategies.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I played Castles of Burgandy for the first time last night and I can't really figure out why I disliked it so much
I don't think it's my aversion to dice games although it's definitely a contributing factor

We were playing 3p with the mirroring boards - afterward I definitely thought that the asymmetrical ones might help it a bit

Maybe because other games do the mechanics better? The whole time I was thinking I'd rather be playing Terra Mystica

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Dungeon Lords question: if multiple people suffer from the "Ridicule" spell, do they straight up lose ties between themselves? It's a Vlaada game, so I'd think so.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I played Castles of Burgandy for the first time last night and I can't really figure out why I disliked it so much
I don't think it's my aversion to dice games although it's definitely a contributing factor

We were playing 3p with the mirroring boards - afterward I definitely thought that the asymmetrical ones might help it a bit

Maybe because other games do the mechanics better? The whole time I was thinking I'd rather be playing Terra Mystica

If you've got some decent breadth of boardgame experience, Castles of Burgundy can feel a little shallow. There's not much across-turn strategy beyond grabbing tiles and filling in your board. Some of your plan is predetermined by your player board layout as well. The strategy is all limited to the center board offer, which is only a single turn. The points can really pile up as well, so it's not super satisfying (IMO) to score stuff. The scoring tiles (all pastures built first/second) are a nice touch to mitigate this, but it kind of feels like a half measure.

As far as the upsides, different boards provide a wildly different game-to-game personal strategy. Like I said, your board and filling it are basically the whole game, so having fewer castles or larger pastures can really swing when you score those buckets of points. There's a fair amount of randomness inherent in the center board offer as well, so there's a guarantee of different tech tiles coming up at different times, which may change your whole game experience if you get them early.

Anyway, it's a very good mediocre game. It's like the world's best Shake N Bake porkchop. It's really good at being OK.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm really digging Terra Mystica, played it several times now with non AP non Confuseds and just want to try more. I mostly hope the other players don't get bored of it before I do though :shepface:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Finally played Legendary Encounters last night, playing through Alien. The person teaching omitted that Coordinates allow you to draw another card, so we lost our medic early (and she took the cat).

The ship exploded TWICE, and we were down to one person who was almost dead.

They drew their 9 coster, and drew another card into their hand, then another, then another.
He was able to do 14 damage and suck the Alien through the airlock, just like Ripley.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I lik legendary encounters but I can't adequately explain why I like it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I lik legendary encounters but I can't adequately explain why I like it.

I generally dislike deck building games but it's surprisingly thematic, the board is dynamic, and I always feel like I'm contributing something even when my hand is garbage.

I'm glad it muscled out Marvel and DCs deck building games.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

i dont know what you're photoshoping but thats terrifying

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

nimby posted:

Dungeon Lords question: if multiple people suffer from the "Ridicule" spell, do they straight up lose ties between themselves? It's a Vlaada game, so I'd think so.

That's my understanding, yes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The worst submarine posted:

i dont know what you're photoshoping but thats terrifying

It's like no one reads GBS any more :eng99:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3715957

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 16, 2015

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Rutibex posted:

It's like no one reads GBS any more :eng99:
Not since they decided to allow rampant bigotry, no.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Any good pirate themed games? Going to a Goonies themed party next weekend and I'm certain I couldn't find anything THAT specific.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Libertalia

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Any good preset dominion base + intrigue kingdoms?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Libertalia is the best pirate game I've played, and it also plays 3-6 comfortably.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Malloreon posted:

Libertalia is the best pirate game I've played, and it also plays 3-6 comfortably.

Cool, sounds good. Thanks!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rumda posted:

Any good preset dominion base + intrigue kingdoms?

http://www.dominiondeck.com/games?field_game_set_value_many_to_one%5B%5D=base&field_game_set_value_many_to_one%5B%5D=intrigue
http://www.dominionkingdoms.com/kingdoms/search/?set=dominion&set=intrigue

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hot drat, these sites rule.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
At my FLGS today I overheard some Magic players finished up and they decided to try on a board game from the "common play" games that many shops have available.

MTG 1: Dude they got Settlers of Catan here let's play that!
MTG 2: What is it, is it good?
MTG 1: Yeah it's the most awesome board game ever!
MTG 3: (sarcastically) Sure it is, if you have the next six hours free!

Me: :ughh:

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

MTG 3: (sarcastically) Sure it is, if you have the next six hours free!

Well they're not wrong. Catan is a loving drag.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

EBag posted:

Finally played Hansa Teutonica last night with 5. What an amazing game for one that looks so drab and boring. The mechanics are so simple but the interplay of them and player interaction make it so interesting. It seems like there's all kinds of different paths to victory, the scores were all pretty close and everyone did a bit of a different strategy, though no one really took advantage of the Key and building a big network which seems like it could be really strong. I won by a few points by getting an office next to the action upgrade early, grabbing more bonus chips than the other players, and upgrading my privilege all the way so I could put a merchant on the black end of game scoring thing. A couple of the other players went heavy upgrades, and one was able to get a decent size network but didn't upgrade his key at all which would have probably won it for it him. Can't wait to play this one again and try some different strategies.
HT is really really good. With a bunch of veterans it gets totally cutthroat. The expansion map is pretty good as well, shakes the game up a lot in a good way if you get tired of the base map.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Well they're not wrong. Catan is a loving drag.

I'm really curious what kind of nightmare Catan experience that dude must have had to make a comment like that.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Six hours is probably an exaggeration but I've had Catan games go upward of three hours just because the dice didn't play nice. The board was probably poo poo, too. The last time I played Catan was a long time ago so if I ever get roped into another game I know to make sure the board isn't imbalanced.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Boardgame night was replaced by a Ticket to Ride tournament tonight. I enjoyed it (and finished first of nine) but four games was a bit much. In all 3 preliminary rounds I opened by taking Portland-Seattle, since only one player can use any route in a 3-player game and I knew I'd want it. In the 4-player final everybody just drew cards for a while but if one person would take half a route others would promptly claim the other half and neighbouring ones if needed to avoid being blocked. I tried to do most of my building sequentially so it was easier to route around congested areas, as well as claim the longest route card. In one game we got to what would clearly be the final two turns and one player erred by playing a 5-card route separated from his network by a 2-card generic route, claiming that rather than a 3-train route elsewhere let me steal the longest route and victory.

During the final the store played a train playlist - Ticket to Ride, Crazy Train, Spanish Train, etc.

Gimnbo posted:

Six hours is probably an exaggeration but I've had Catan games go upward of three hours just because the dice didn't play nice. The board was probably poo poo, too. The last time I played Catan was a long time ago so if I ever get roped into another game I know to make sure the board isn't imbalanced.

Isn't managing an unbalanced board the point of Settlers? I'm not sure I've seen a game of base Settlers go over 90 minutes even with slow / new players. Cities and Knights can go really long with bad luck though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I once played Twilight Struggle and Catan in the same night and spent less time with Twilight Struggle

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm really curious what kind of nightmare Catan experience that dude must have had to make a comment like that.

Sounds like a pretty typical game of Catan for my group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
With 20 hours to go I'm giving some thought to pledging to L99's Millennium Blades Kickstarter. If this is liable to be a terrible idea (based on quality of the company/the company's output/past Kickstarter disasters etc.) now would be a great time to let me know.