Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

The Kitchen can't actually end, right? I need 5 seasons of it on AMC.

It is kinda begging for a premium cable adaptation, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I think The Unwritten might be the best comic I've ever read.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Since the last volume is coming out soon and I can begin a marathon read, when should I read Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice?

I'm still a bit sad that Crossing Midnight was canceled way too early. Mike Carey playing with Japanese mythology should have been a thing :(

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm still a bit sad that Crossing Midnight was canceled way too early. Mike Carey playing with Japanese mythology should have been a thing :(

He does that a lot in the second story arc of Lucifer. It's really good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Since the last volume is coming out soon and I can begin a marathon read, when should I read Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice?

Anywhere between Lizzie's origin story and The Unwritten Fables, I think. It stands alone, though.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

GrandpaPants posted:

On my marathon reads, I always slip it in after the Fables crossover. Gets the bad taste out of my mouth.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

cptn_dr posted:

On my marathon reads, I always slip it in after the Fables crossover. Gets the bad taste out of my mouth.

I was trying to talk a friend into finally getting off his rear end and reading The Unwritten and I told him there's one bad arc near the end where it crosses over with Fables. It's the best Fables since issue 75 or so bit the worst Unwritten in the bunch.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Thanks for reminding me about the cancellation of Crossing Midnight, guys! That book was great, its such a shame he never got to finish it.

I'm currently about 3/4 of the way the my Lucifer re-read. Its just fantastic.

Also, if you love Mike Carey, you should check out his Felix Castor novels. They're sort of a John Constantine-ey occult private eye kind of thing, set in a London where suddenly one day ghosts and demons become a thing that are real. And they're really fun.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Did anyone read that comic Testament? How is it? The concept, where Biblical history repeats itself in the near future sounds interesting, and I'm a big fan of Liam Sharpe.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
I've recently gotten back into reading Vertigo comics because I remembered how amazing they all are. What are everyone's favorite comics, new or old? I think mine might be Preacher just because it's so batshit insane and entertaining. Sandman is so beautiful and mystical that it is also a strong contender. I'd be interested in learning about some lesser known comics that I might not have heard of.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In recent years, I've loved Scott Snyder's American Vampire, Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth and Trillium.
Apparently Seaguy is getting a third volume some time in the future. Read Seaguy. Seaguy is great.

e: Oh, in case anyone missed this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4bF_quwNtw

quote:

Based upon the characters created by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth and Mike Dringenberg for DC Entertainment’s Vertigo imprint, LUCIFER is the story of the original fallen angel. Bored and unhappy as the Lord of Hell, LUCIFER MORNINGSTAR (Tom Ellis, “Merlin”) has abandoned his throne and retired to L.A., where he owns Lux, an upscale nightclub.

Charming, charismatic and devilishly handsome, Lucifer is enjoying his retirement, indulging in a few of his favorite things – wine, women and song – when a beautiful pop star is brutally murdered outside of Lux. For the first time in roughly 10 billion years, he feels something awaken deep within him as a result of this murder. Compassion? Sympathy? The very thought disturbs him – as well as his best friend and confidante, MAZIKEEN aka MAZE (Lesley-Ann Brandt, “The Librarians”), a fierce demon in the form of a beautiful young woman.

The murder attracts the attention of LAPD homicide detective CHLOE DANCER (Lauren German, “Chicago Fire”), who initially is dismissive of Lucifer. But she becomes intrigued by his talent for drawing out people’s secrets and his desire to dispense justice, doling out punishment to those who deserve it. As they work together to solve the pop star’s murder, Lucifer is struck by Chloe’s inherent goodness. Accustomed to dealing with the absolute worst of humanity, Lucifer is intrigued by Chloe’s apparent purity and begins to wonder if there’s hope for his own soul yet.

At the same time, God’s emissary, the angel AMENADIEL (DB Woodside, “Suits,” “24”), has been sent to Los Angeles to convince Lucifer to return to the underworld…can the Devil incarnate be tempted toward the side of Good, or will his original calling pull him back toward Evil?

Ha!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 12, 2015

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Teenage Fansub posted:

Apparently Seaguy is getting a third volume some time in the future. Read Seaguy. Seaguy is great.

Is there any more recent news, or this from that older general "being worked on, there is a script"? Cos I am keen on Seaguy. I think I've mentioned it here before, but whilst I enjoyed the first volume, I didn't super love it. But the second volume really solidified a lot of the themes of the series and really turned me around on the whole thing. I am super keen to see how well the third volume, (Sea)Guy As Adult, builds on that. They never released a collection of Volume 2 did they?

P.s that Lucifer thing looks not much like the comic and not much good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Treebeh posted:

I've recently gotten back into reading Vertigo comics because I remembered how amazing they all are. What are everyone's favorite comics, new or old? I think mine might be Preacher just because it's so batshit insane and entertaining. Sandman is so beautiful and mystical that it is also a strong contender. I'd be interested in learning about some lesser known comics that I might not have heard of.

Sandman and Y: The Last Man are probably strong contenders for my favorite comics of all time, if I was forced to choose. However, I have just started reading Lucifer, and I'm really looking forward to finally diving into that. Even just going from what I remember of him from Sandman that TV show looks laughable.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Treebeh posted:

Unwritten. The answer is always Unwritten, especially if you like Sandman.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Madkal posted:

Unwritten. The answer is always Unwritten, especially if you like Sandman.

Unwritten is fantastic. Although it unfortunately suffers from being a series that's hard to explain.

Did anyone do an annotated Unwritten? Because I bet there's some cool things to point out.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

In recent years, I've loved Scott Snyder's American Vampire, Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth and Trillium.

Ha!

Holy poo poo this looks awful and this is coming from someone that will eat anything cable shits out.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Holy poo poo this looks awful and this is coming from someone that will eat anything cable shits out.

My only hope for this garbage is that it will increase interest in quality comics which will in turn spur TV producers to make better shows based on comics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

My only hope is that it'll spur a Comixology sale on the series :)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm reading the second to last Fables trade because I fail to understand the sunk cost fallacy and wow is it bad. What the hell happened to these characters?

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

I got burned out on Fables around issue 70 or so. Just lost all interest in the characters and setting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is IZombie any good? I really don't know anything about it other than it's almost totally different from the show, but I've liked everything else by Chris Roberson I've read, even though that's a small sample size.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm three trades into iZombie (out of four) and am afraid it's gradually becoming a case of Allred's art making the plot seem cooler than it is.
The first trade is great, and I'd still recommend the series in general, but that gum might run out of flavor on you.
(Honestly, that's how I'm starting to feel about the TV show, too.)

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ha!

Soon to be cancelled like Constantine before it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Treebeh posted:

I got burned out on Fables around issue 70 or so. Just lost all interest in the characters and setting.

I made it to like 119ish? Red was slumming it sad at the farm I think? Someday I plan to try and finish it but :effort:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

When did they defeat Gepetto? That's about the point I stopped caring.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cptn_dr posted:

When did they defeat Gepetto? That's about the point I stopped caring.

Somewhere around 75 I think?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

At this point I'm reading Fables solely because I love Mark Buckingham's art. Hopefully after it ends he does something good and doesn't retire to sit on those fat Telltale cashwads.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

At this point I'm reading Fables solely because I love Mark Buckingham's art. Hopefully after it ends he does something good and doesn't retire to sit on those fat Telltale cashwads.

Buckingham's art isn't that special though. Especially not compared to Lan Medina who did the first arc.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Buckingham's art isn't that special though. Especially not compared to Lan Medina who did the first arc.

Just for once, I'd like him to draw a character who is speaking with their mouth open. I know it's a minor thing but it really bugs me. There's barely a single instance of a character drawn talking with their mouth open. Plus Bigby's weird sort of melting droopy eyed face is awful.

Also, the illustrated panel borders were a nice idea for a bit when he started doing them, but now they're just kind of annoying and take up space.

I actually quite like Buckinghams art for the most part, which is why I guess those things annoy me so much.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Buckingham is to mouths like Liefeld is to feet. Like they just weirdly disappear sometimes and whenever they're shown they're just loving weird.

Like what is going on here?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Buckingham is to mouths like Liefeld is to feet. Like they just weirdly disappear sometimes and whenever they're shown they're just loving weird.

Like what is going on here?
Wolverine was forced to choose between having a nose and having a mouth and went with the former.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
New Sandman Overture coming out tomorrow. :worship:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kull the Conqueror posted:

New Sandman Overture coming out tomorrow. :worship:

So the one following this one will come out in....6 months time? Why am I not trade-waiting this title?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

So the one following this one will come out in....6 months time? Why am I not trade-waiting this title?

Because you want to read it before death's sweet embrace takes you?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Alhazred posted:

He has really clear and distinctive linework and storytelling. I like Lan Medina too, but Buckingham's art is stronger. Anyway that's a moot point - the best artist who has drawn anything Fables related is P. Craig Russell.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

He has really clear and distinctive linework and storytelling. I like Lan Medina too, but Buckingham's art is stronger.

I just find Buckingham very generic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lightning Lord posted:

He has really clear and distinctive linework and storytelling. I like Lan Medina too, but Buckingham's art is stronger. Anyway that's a moot point - the best artist who has drawn anything Fables related is P. Craig Russell.

Wrong. Mike Allred drew an issue.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobkatt013 posted:

Wrong. Mike Allred drew an issue.

That doesn't contradict P. Craig Russell being the best artist to illustrate Fables.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

That doesn't contradict P. Craig Russell being the best artist to illustrate Fables.

Man I love Mike Allred but yeah. The way Russell has been generally ignored by fandom is kind of lovely. Dude should be treated like the icon he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I recently finished reading the most recent Fables volumes. Holy poo poo, what the hell happened? At least it's ending soon.

• Locked thread