Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Almost every complaint I can understand (size, hollowness, etc) since it's mostly matters of taste or how much are you willing to forgive for gimmicks. The only one that makes me wonder is the one about lack of paint apps. If anything I was very glad that CW seems to be back to cool levels of paint and color, I mean color-wise the Aerialbots are decent, The Stunticons are excellent, legends like bombshell are superb and Megatron is a walking paint app with a robot inside. Even the AoE line was way ahead of what came before (except poor Galvatron). We have left the sea of unpainted gray plastic for now.

All I know is that Combiner Wars is the happiest I've been with this hobby in a while, even if I'm generally very positive about it (because well, if not then what's the point), and it also makes me happy that it seems to be generally well-loved an the whining ratings are at an all-time low.

I really want my Leader Magnus now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gundams are mostly real robots. Star Saber is clearly a super robot. :colbert:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

A super robot lifeform, even.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I've started to see G1 CW Megatrons on the shelves fairly regularly around my area. He's still outnumbered like 3:1 by Armadatrons of course, but at least he's starting to stay on shelves for a while.

No sign of Motormasters though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Some of the joints on a few of the CW guys I have are loose, and one of my motormaster's hip joints is floppy, but this isn't the same for everyone. the transformations may be "simple", but they're solid and almost all of them make great robot modes. Then the combined modes look great, though menasor needs a little bit of off-instruction styling to not look like he's doing a split. For a quarter of the price of the third party stuff, they are outstanding.

Keldroc posted:

At this point the KO talk practically needs its own thread. Yes, I'm very happy you saved :10bux: on what's basically pirate merch of a product still available on sale that's targeted directly at collectors. I remember when KO talk was all about the ridiculously charming Frankenstein creations you'd find in the aisles of Big Lots rather than the latest way to avoid giving Takara money.
If we're going to keep comic chat in this thread where people are fast and loose with tagging spoilers, KO chat stays too

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Captain Invictus posted:

If we're going to keep comic chat in this thread where people are fast and loose with tagging spoilers, KO chat stays too

Also, this is the last sub where people should be bitching about KOs taking money from Hasbro. I'm guessing 90% of posters pirate 90% of their weekly comics.

Blackheart posted:

All I know is that Combiner Wars is the happiest I've been with this hobby in a while, even if I'm generally very positive about it (because well, if not then what's the point), and it also makes me happy that it seems to be generally well-loved an the whining ratings are at an all-time low.

I really want my Leader Magnus now.

The fact that everyone is so happy with them is a big silver lining for me. I may not be thrilled but the fandom seems downright giddy and that's awesome.

And I really want that leader Magnus too, I STILL can't believe how great he is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And remember that this is only the first run of combiner wars. Hopefully any kinks will get worked out in subsequent runs.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Captain Invictus posted:

Are they? I generally skip over the comic posts but people seem to be pretty good about spoiler tags as far as I've seen.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Also, this is the last sub where people should be bitching about KOs taking money from Hasbro. I'm guessing 90% of posters pirate 90% of their weekly comics.

Well I'm in the 10% there, too. I believe in paying people for their work. I realize that's a pretty crazy notion in BSS in these days of insane cover prices, but that's why I'm a Marvel Unlimited subscriber.

Edit: In other news, MMC is here to save us from lovely third party Defensors.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 16, 2015

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Captain Invictus posted:

How about this for the spoiler stuff: tell people when they're being bad at it so they stop, don't go "I don't like a thing so I get to do a thing that other people don't like"

How about this for KO stuff: just buy it and go "hey I got mp wheeljack he's good" don't mention you got a KO or whatever?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

EthanSteele posted:

How about this for the spoiler stuff: tell people when they're being bad at it so they stop, don't go "I don't like a thing so I get to do a thing that other people don't like"

How about this for KO stuff: just buy it and go "hey I got mp wheeljack he's good" don't mention you got a KO or whatever?

Spoilers are never worth getting upset over, honestly. I try not to ruin things for people that will react poorly to them because I'm not a jerk, but they're kind of a First World Problem.

Not sure about KO talk. I'd rather buy a good KO than pay eBay secondary market markup prices, I already pay BBTS too much as it is. But yeah, It might be good to keep the KO somewhat on the DL.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Keldroc posted:

Are they? I generally skip over the comic posts but people seem to be pretty good about spoiler tags as far as I've seen.
Technically speaking the rule in BSS is: You do not spoiler tag anything in a released book. People in the thread, or at least me but I think others, try to spoiler tag up to the last volume. I know for a fact several people read by the trade, so I try to respect that. Mistakes are made, ofc, but that's actually being polite above and beyond the rules, so...

I forget ADTRW's rules, which Invictus might be more familiar with, I think they're a little more 'spoiler tag the most recent chapter' which people here definitely do, even though it's not in the forum rules.

So no not really.

As for KO chat, I could do with less of it, but I would glad have KO posts instead of people making GBS threads on other people's tastes. I don't even know how CW Defensor can look 'bad', he looks like Defensor full stop. That's just being unnecessary incendiary, which is only funny when WCR does it.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I actually really like the freak show KO stuff like the giant Stunticons, or rubber ducks that turns into a robot. Actively cheering for knock offs of the latest MP releases and such kind of rub me the wrong way, but I get people are into it and mostly mentally filter it out.

My feelings aside I like the variety of people in the thread and would hate to have any kind of discussion off the table. So yeah, I typed stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw a real Lancia Stratos today! Real life Wheeljack! Not even a KO one or anything.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I don't mind KO talk, though as therealjon said my favorites are the weird, crazier KOs or strange, not necessarily knockoff figures.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

I saw a real Lancia Stratos today! Real life Wheeljack! Not even a KO one or anything.

Lol.

I picked up Groove (not a KO, I promise!) at Target today because I am weak willed and couldn't wait for the BBTS loot pile to complete*.

Groove is pretty good, even though he's a little shortbody/longlimbs. Good articulation for a Legends class figure, and otherwise fairly well proportioned. He's worth a look.

If you absolutely need a deluxe size figure for a Defensor leg instead of this guy, you're a doody head.

*HOT SPOT:argh:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

not an emptyquote

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

therealjon_ posted:

My feelings aside I like the variety of people in the thread and would hate to have any kind of discussion off the table. So yeah, I typed stuff.
Yeah I don't want anyone to stop posting I just mean people could do with a wee bit of restraint.

Do you have any points of advice about pre-ordering off anime-export? Anything to watch out for?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I kind of wish there was less toy chat and more comic/cartoon chat. The comics are better than they ever were but only the current issue gets discussed a little in passing before more plastic robot lust.

I'm not going to demand any changes, this is just how things roll right now and it's not like I'm not immune to the desire for more plastic robots.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Acne Rain posted:

I kind of wish there was less toy chat and more comic/cartoon chat. The comics are better than they ever were but only the current issue gets discussed a little in passing before more plastic robot lust.

I'm not going to demand any changes, this is just how things roll right now and it's not like I'm not immune to the desire for more plastic robots.

Comic chat: not everyone has to be in relationships and it kind of weirds me out that people seem to want to pair everyone off. I think one of the standout things about chromedome is his kind of overwrought need to be with someone and the play between his sensitive nature and his kind of seedy side. I worry about the authors bending to fan pressure, common in any long running series.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
shippers are best ignored and one reason why discussing nerd fiction off sa can be very annoying.

roberts not going to cave to that, he has a handle on his characters and it's already been stated most Transformers never find a conjunx endura and many other forms of friendship exist.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, shippers are one of the many, many bad things about "fandoms."

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

Do you have any points of advice about pre-ordering off anime-export? Anything to watch out for?

I've been using AE for about two years now and they are pretty reliable. You'll pay for the figure up front (but the low price really takes the sting off that), and then when it comes into stock you can pay shipping or wait till other stuff comes in to ship together. Their EMS shipping is pretty cheap and fast, I've always been happy with their speed. Only thing to watch for is that they close on weekends so something may come in then and I know some fans can grow impatient over weekends when other shops may still ship.

I currently have all of this year's MP preorders through them. Some times I put the bigger stuff like Magnus or Saber in at HLJ since I don't have to pay up front though.

AE and HLJ have always been good to me, so I highly recommend them!

EDIT: After having to pack up my collection in preparation for a relocation that didn't happen, my Transformers display is kind of tiny.

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 17, 2015

Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...
Comic chat: it sucks that Polaris and Hyperion got killed off in issue two because they have badass names.

Comic chat: Getaway is a creepy gently caress.

Comic chat: I realize Brainstorm is supposed to have a British accent but I can't help but read him with a gravelly Wheeljacky accent.

Comic chat: I'm hoping to see some female Decepticons already. Maybe on Deathsaurus' ship?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Barber might show some female cons first, he's extremely eclectic in how he chooses what characters to put in. Wouldn't surprise me if he put in a Blackarachnia to go with Waspinator or Strika to go with Tankor.

Ratchet and Brainstorm sound like Animated Ratchet and Prime Ratchet

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

therealjon_ posted:

I've been using AE for about two years now and they are pretty reliable. You'll pay for the figure up front (but the low price really takes the sting off that), and then when it comes into stock you can pay shipping or wait till other stuff comes in to ship together. Their EMS shipping is pretty cheap and fast, I've always been happy with their speed. Only thing to watch for is that they close on weekends so something may come in then and I know some fans can grow impatient over weekends when other shops may still ship.
Yeah, I pre-ordered it after you posted it, I feel like Road Rage is something worth supporting. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything to trip over, like having to pay shipping the day of or whatever.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yeah, shippers are one of the many, many bad things about "fandoms."
Shippers are basically like a drive to the fireworks factory. Long, boring, and they only explode once.

But it is quite magically so when they do.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Brainstorm for me sounds like Doctor Smith from the original Lost in Space series.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Prawn Salad posted:

Comic chat: I realize Brainstorm is supposed to have a British accent but I can't help but read him with a gravelly Wheeljacky accent.

I read him as Krieger from Archer. It is perfect.

Also holy tables, realjon. Or whatever we say when a picture is a good 4x bigger than it should be.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

EthanSteele posted:

Nah

I can't afford Masterpiece TFs most of the time and at the rate they put them out, so folks mentioning ITT that there's a new KO seller listing Wheeljack for 32 bucks shipped is a big help in getting stuff at affordable prices, especially when they go out of production

Like I still buy legit Masterpieces, I've got real MP-01 Prime, Grimlock, Soundwave, and Bumblebee, but I can't keep up with the number of various carformers at actual prices and the KOs let me Live The Dream of having an almost complete G1 crew in MP form. I buy tons of legit Transformers, but the number of Sideswipe/Bluestreak repaints makes getting them all prohibitive unless you go for KOs. And in certain cases, such as the Golden Lambor, they don't even exist in non-KO form. Also, the KOs tend to come with the promo pieces such as Wheeljack's little blue disruptor thingy, which is nice. Yeah, we should all buy the real deals, I know, but it's not feasible for everyone, and if I can get 5 of the same mold in different colors for 150 bucks, why shouldn't I? To be frank, I definitely wouldn't pay 80-90 dollars for the carformers to begin with, so it's not like they're losing sales from me buying KOs, since I never would have bought the real ones anyway.

If you want wacky KO chat, before Tuesday Morning near me shut down, I got one of those itty bitty Fortress Maximus figures. It's the size of a deluxe, but Fort Max. Still has a lot, but not all, of the gimmicks, too. I kinda wish I'd picked up another insane KO I found there; a Supreme Optimus Primal from Beast Machines, but in like, "natural" gorilla colors, except he had a purple-white chrome chestplate and shoulders/fist covers, and came with a long strip of pink see-through fabric in the box with him(maybe he was a dancer???). He was 20 bucks so I didn't get him.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 17, 2015

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

Also holy tables, realjon. Or whatever we say when a picture is a good 4x bigger than it should be.

I'm on the app and it looked normal, I apologize and will remove it!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

therealjon_ posted:

I'm on the app and it looked normal, I apologize and will remove it!

When browsing via app, always make img tags timg. Just in case.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Huh, I always read Brainstorm as John Cleese but the again I read a lot of characters as John Cleese. I don't read the comics too much, I do whenever I can and mostly read episode recaps on tfwiki for those I miss so I can stay up to date with the story, I refuse to pirate them because I do graphic work and I'd feel terrible about it. I'm not saying you will burn in hell if you do it but I just can't.

About the Chromedome Rewind thing, I was expecting for the presumed dead Rewind to show up alive later because it'd be awkward as hell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blackheart posted:

About the Chromedome Rewind thing, I was expecting for the presumed dead Rewind to show up alive later because it'd be awkward as hell.
I still have hopes for this because man oh man would that be entertaining. Would it count as two-timing if you're the exact same person? :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Captain Invictus posted:

I still have hopes for this because man oh man would that be entertaining. Would it count as two-timing if you're the exact same person? :allears:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Captain Invictus posted:

Didn't he only keep existing because his other self had already been killed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll stop talking about KOs when Hasbro starts making supreme class upscales of the figures themselves.

In other news, original Armada Megatron is awesome and far superior to CW Armada Megatron.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey, would anyone like to buy the MP-01 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime? I have the Hasbro version, loose and in perfect condition, with his rifle, axe, and instructions. It has been on display in my smoke-free home for the last ten years, and I have NEVER transformed it. I'd really like to find a new, appreciative home for this big guy.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 17, 2015

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Rhyno posted:

In other news, original Armada Megatron is awesome and far superior to CW Armada Megatron.

Original Armada Megatron had a ton of weird things and I really like the sneaky cannon flipping around from the back, even if the full turret switch thing in robot mode was a big eh. CW Armada Megatron is just regular Megatron but weird colours with a funky head.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EthanSteele posted:

Original Armada Megatron had a ton of weird things and I really like the sneaky cannon flipping around from the back, even if the full turret switch thing in robot mode was a big eh. CW Armada Megatron is just regular Megatron but weird colours with a funky head.

I just got him in a trade, 100% complete and Universe Galvatron for a Marvel Legends figure I didn't need.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Hey look, Vange1us finally* broke something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_vHVyimBfc

Not really digging how thin some of those parts look but it looks awesome in both modes.

*Unless i'm forgetting something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

You know, for all the replacement parts or whatever 3Ps do, why haven't they made some new thighs for Armada Megs with actual knees? I've seen the mods out there, but it would be so nice to have some third party just make some replacement legs that don't need a bunch of plastic cutting and poo poo.