Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would also like to say that the Mercedes Sauber C9 is legitimately crafted by the hand of God himself. What a goddamn excellent, fun car to drive quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

haris pilton posted:

Sucks for you but it runs fine on my setup (bumpercam) Not saying you're over exaggerating but I'm not seeing it

I'm also not a sperg about frames p second and stuff but the things you describe would bother me as well. Hope your issues will be resolved.

Not everyone can see stuff like frame tearing. Count yourself lucky, I guess. It's there, though.

Online stutters blow. (Perhaps it's only certain tracks or lag-based?) it needs to go, though....

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Just watched a video of a lap of fake Suzuka... what the hell did they do to it? I mean sure they might have missed a license for it, but they butchered the track. Missing part of the esses, the hairpin, and the final, chicane. Its so weird.

Not sure if this was answered from a few pages back. They had the real Suzuka layout for a while and when it didn't look like they could get the license before launch they had to keep the name different and also modify the layout quite a bit so they wouldn't get sued.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm pretty sure pit stops are completely broken. I don't know of a way to verify that I'm running on wet tires after a stop.

Edit: yet again SMS' default is bullshit. Pitstop default will change you over to whatever tire you want while being highly under pressure. Default for the Aston Martin GT3 is 2.10 bar. The pitstop default is 1.5 bar.

bloops fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 16, 2015

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

track day bro! posted:

I'll be at Brands hatch on the 17th next month and hopefully snetterton the next if nothing blows up, I dont have room foor a drat wheel setup unfortunately. I'm kinda glad this game has a decent amount of uk tracks because it lets me figure out the basic layouts of the ones I havent been to yet. :shobon:
With a decent wheel stand it's not a problem -- the footprint on a Wheel Stand Pro is minimal. For me the biggest issue is cost. I have no problem buying a PS4 for this, but my old (admittedly craptastic) wheel isn't supported, and the ones that ARE supported are pricey.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

xzzy posted:

See you in 15 hours I guess.

I get bored of that track after two laps. It's obviously technically demanding and there's value in that but a lot of tracks are technically demanding and don't strand you 15 minutes from the pit if something goes wrong.

ended up quitting after 5 laps when my hands cramped up on the 360 controller. Really need to get my wheel set up :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You guys have a funny way of pronouncing "brush", tho.

Also, that night race on Nordschleife... I was doing so well, then the drat tires all go blue, I veer into the grass and suddenly the wheel's light and the car drives like on soap. I wish the game would tell what blew up, because that was ridiculous. Also, I think the game put me on rain tires for that one, anyway.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 17, 2015

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

hans olo said in in-game chat something about "I blew all my tires" which didnt make sense as we had damage off but here we are

http://i.imgur.com/Y5whffh.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/cWoX1c8.gifv

^^ are you hans?

Basticle fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 17, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I'm Hans.

Basticle posted:

hans olo said in in-game chat something about "I blew all my tires" which didnt make sense as we had damage off but here we are
Maybe the game just bugged out. As said, the wheel went light, too, with practically no FFB or centering whatsoever.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

If you do not have autostart engine turned on maybe you just stalled?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Damage is something that seriously needs better indicating. The amount of times I've been in kart races and run off the track a few times or had a couple of minor collisions and then just suddenly the engine blown message pops up with no warning.

In better news I finally had enough of stagnating in kart racing and restarted my career in Formula Rookie and holy poo poo these things are fun.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Basticle posted:

If you do not have autostart engine turned on maybe you just stalled?
Autostart and autoclutch are both on. The curious thing was all tires going blue the moment that happened.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Damage is something that seriously needs better indicating. The amount of times I've been in kart races and run off the track a few times or had a couple of minor collisions and then just suddenly the engine blown message pops up with no warning.

In better news I finally had enough of stagnating in kart racing and restarted my career in Formula Rookie and holy poo poo these things are fun.
The 250cc Karts seem more resilient, but with the 125cc Karts: set your gearing (final drive) such that you're never maxing RPMs in top gear (6th?) because their engines blow very easily (a dozen seconds total max RPMing or so). Learned that one the hard way and never had issues again once I made sure to gear appropriately (if you don't, you can manually feather the throttle such that you never max RPMs, keeping it in low-mid RPMs in top gear, but it's kind of tedious).

Was planning to go up the GT line because people were also on about how fun GT3 is, but now I just don't know with all these good words about Formula Rookie. :ohdear: Might have to do some test runs with the cars in each to see what's up before signing my next contract (just past halfway through Superkarts currently) and hope you get forward and side jump contract offerings at every level if I continue up the open wheel line awhile longer.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
So I can drive all the other vehicles fairly well in the helmet cockpit view, but I have to drive the superkarts in third person or I can't drive them at all.

:psyduck: it's only the 250cc that I have to drive like that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Formula Gulf and Formula C are tons of fun.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Where can I change MP/H to KM/h?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Any of you guys follow Empty Box on YouTube? He reviewed pCars, saying the AI was lackluster and that the physics aren't that great. I think he generally falls into the sim group that no traction = realism and I think the AI is pretty good considering it's better than racing against bad pubbies. Obviously leagues or with people you know make the game better.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Combat Pretzel posted:

You guys have a funny way of pronouncing "brush", tho.

Also, that night race on Nordschleife... I was doing so well, then the drat tires all go blue, I veer into the grass and suddenly the wheel's light and the car drives like on soap. I wish the game would tell what blew up, because that was ridiculous. Also, I think the game put me on rain tires for that one, anyway.

You can have tire wear on while running in no damage mode. If you were running wets as well you probably just ate the tires.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I noticed that on the pit stops it sometimes wants to default to setting the new tires to the max tire pressure. So if that happened it certainly wouldn't help.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pit stops are borked. The more I play it, the more issues I find. In the past few hours I've had the audio go mute, audio crackling, and a full on system crash. Good thing the core gameplay is so goddamn compelling.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i still really like playing this game which is pretty fuckin sad because i don't even have ffb on anymore

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Man, the Audi R18 TDI handles pretty aces. Either it's built to be good handling, or the fact that it has pre-warmed tires. Or the fact I can finally do light throttles with an Xbox 360 controller's triggers. But at any rate, it still feels good.

alr
May 14, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

Any of you guys follow Empty Box on YouTube? He reviewed pCars, saying the AI was lackluster and that the physics aren't that great. I think he generally falls into the sim group that no traction = realism and I think the AI is pretty good considering it's better than racing against bad pubbies. Obviously leagues or with people you know make the game better.

I disagree with that review on the AI, but maybe because I'm not exactly fast (70-%75% AI skill on a track and car I know and I'll qualify mid-high and have a good race with the top 6 or so AI) but I sort of agree on the physics lacking something of an "edge" to them. If I turn off all assists - not just set to "real" but actually all disabled - it doesn't feel like I'm able to get the tyres to lock up as hard as they should, and compared to Assetto Corsa something's off with how cars feel when cornering at speed, like there's a baked in stability control system or something. Maybe it's my FFB not being set up properly, but whatever. Small gripe considering AC seems to be widely regarded as having the best overall car physics out there.

I think the game as a whole is fantastic, I'm using the accelerated weather and time of day options almost all the time, watching Bathurst go from pre-dawn fog to sunrise and clear skies is amazing. About the only things I really want are an improved UI, the ability to make custom career style leagues or seasons, not just quick race weekends, and more cars. Particularly to fill out the existing classes so each car has a rival or two to go against. Sort of like how group A has the E30, RS 500 and the 190E, some of the other classes could use more variety.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I follow empty box and while I can't see why he's in a spot to say if pCars is realistic or not, I think he's spot on with the AI. The amount of times I've been barged off the track or just outright slammed into while under braking, is getting to the point where I want to put the game down until they do something to fix it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Where can I change MP/H to KM/h?

In the options, under onscreen guides and display change units from imperial to metric. Or use the cockpit view, most every car's speedo uses KM/h.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Has there been a mini patch overnight? My wheel lost all it's bindings and calibration (CSR Elite) and after putting my bindings back in, I found that something had changed.

I've got a Frex Shift+ SQ shifter that I rewired to act identically to a Fanatec SQ shifter so it would use the same bindings for up and downshift. Previously, to go from paddle to SQ shifter I would have to go into the bindings options and change what device did the up and downshifts. Now, Even though I've clearly got the SQ shifter set to the shifting, I can still use my paddle shifters on the fly! This is awesome.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

You can have tire wear on while running in no damage mode. If you were running wets as well you probably just ate the tires.
Probably was running some. Before the goon races, I was also driving Nordschleife on an open practise server with the same car in dry conditions, and it was way grippier and controllable. During the race with goons, I kept understeering at mediocre speeds. The only real difference between the two races is that former was in clear weather and latter with medium clouds but dry. Either the game hosed up or "clouds" will make the game chose rain tires when set to automatic choice.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Probably was running some. Before the goon races, I was also driving Nordschleife on an open practise server with the same car in dry conditions, and it was way grippier and controllable. During the race with goons, I kept understeering at mediocre speeds. The only real difference between the two races is that former was in clear weather and latter with medium clouds but dry. Either the game hosed up or "clouds" will make the game chose rain tires when set to automatic choice.

My question is, why are you letting the game decide on what tires you need. From my understanding, it's really best to just set the tires manually, as I said before.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tehsid posted:

I follow empty box and while I can't see why he's in a spot to say if pCars is realistic or not, I think he's spot on with the AI. The amount of times I've been barged off the track or just outright slammed into while under braking, is getting to the point where I want to put the game down until they do something to fix it.

This is true, but coming from Assetto Corsa and it's AI driving concrete cars with suicidal tendencies / no eyes it's OK at the moment.
Most of the issues I have in PC seem to be tweaks they can patch so it's really promising so far over all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

widespread posted:

My question is, why are you letting the game decide on what tires you need. From my understanding, it's really best to just set the tires manually, as I said before.
I don't know. Never cared enough to look at setups from within the lobby, because usually it works out well enough. Save some hiccups like this.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://youtu.be/g04iFqwlFPw

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Flight Simulator DLC confirmed

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm an idiot baby dork and bought this game on impulse.

I like cars :ohdear:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

last night I had a lot of fun playing this game with goons

i have nothing else to say i just want more people to play this game with us because we inch ever closer to 30 man goon race

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hahahha, I love the glitches.

I've between racing this and iRacing the last week and I have to say I really like both. IRacing is great for super serious racing, but Project CARS is better for variety and more... fun racing, for lack of a better word.

What's the mumble info? I can't find it anywhere.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 17, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

ethanol posted:

last night I had a lot of fun playing this game with goons

i have nothing else to say i just want more people to play this game with us because we inch ever closer to 30 man goon race

Yeah, more people need to get in on goonrace, it's good poo poo.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Goon racing is pretty good, and full of terrible racing ideas. Like using the McLaren F1 on a track with corners or karts, because 50% of goon races are with karts at this point.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Karts are awesome. This game lured me back to pc gaming after many years of being on consoles. What applications do I need to make voice chat work-related and what settings do I need to link up with the other goons playing?

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I dunno who said the caterhams were terrible but I just finished an invitational and it was loving awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

GutBomb posted:

Karts are awesome. This game lured me back to pc gaming after many years of being on consoles. What applications do I need to make voice chat work-related and what settings do I need to link up with the other goons playing?

mumble, and the server info:
Server: mumble.goonrathi.com
Port: 64738
password: mellon

Set a loving push to talk button or get yelled at by spergs.

• Locked thread