Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VideoTapir posted:

Manchu palaces and tombs.

Ah, that would be cool. Though most of the "Chinese" stuff in Beijing is really Manchu anyway, might not be that different. Worth checking before you go all the way up there for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

Ah, that would be cool. Though most of the "Chinese" stuff in Beijing is really Manchu anyway, might not be that different. Worth checking before you go all the way up there for it.

It's similar. Nurhaci's palace in Shenyang is particularly similar. The stuff in Shenyang is, coincidentally, kind of halfway between Korean palaces and Beijing palaces.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Everywhere on that list is going to be hot as gently caress, I don't think it matters. I also would cut that list in half. I've heard lots of mixed things about Lijiang and Dali, mostly about them being super fake tourist places. I would at least just go to one or the other. I'm not sure what is interesting in Shenyang. Everybody says Hangzhou is lame.

Shenyang has a miniature Qing-era Forbidden City and the Qing Tombs. Not my favorite dynasty but I figured Beijing is nearby so I could just pop over. Thinking that's not the case any longer. B list.

Lijiang sounds incredibly touristy, yeah. It does have a few original things and even though the rest is artificial it's still pretty neat sounding. Maybe I'll make this C list.

Dali isn't as touristy as Lijiang (apparently) but has less to do, with only the Three Pagodas to see, which is 120 rmb to get in and you can't even go inside. C as well I think.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Yunnan is the best province to visit, so if you're going to cut out some cities they should be Shenyang and Shanghai/Suzhou/Hangzhou. If you like nature and diverse cultures than I would just spend your entire trip in Yunnan and Sichuan.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Grand Fromage posted:

Everywhere on that list is going to be hot as gently caress, I don't think it matters. I also would cut that list in half. I've heard lots of mixed things about Lijiang and Dali, mostly about them being super fake tourist places. I would at least just go to one or the other. I'm not sure what is interesting in Shenyang. Everybody says Hangzhou is lame.

Dali is a fake tourist place, yes, but it's an *awesome* fake tourist place. Sure it was purpose-built relatively recently, but it's really really nice. So visit it!

Lijiang is a hole that periodically gets filled with poo poo. It's *near* some nice mountainy stuff, such as Snow Mountain and Tiger Leaping Gorge (both are cool), but avoid the city itself. Ignore anyone who tells you otherwise.

Seconding the "Yunnan best province" thing. I'd think twice about living there, but it was great to visit as a tourist. Also, whatever you cut, don't cut Guilin / Yangshuo.

EDIT:
Don't even bother going to the 3 Pagodas in Dali; just stop in at the city on your way between The Good Stuff Outside Lijiang (Tiger Leaping Gorge etc) and Kunming, and pencil in 2-3 days to take in the lake, wander along the mountain trail that overlooks the new/touristy city, and enjoy the huge variety of cool little restaurants and bars. It's where loads of young Chinese people go to escape their parents' attention (like a mini-Kunming), so there's actually genuinely interesting modern Chinese culture going on there.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 17, 2015

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Lately I came across these hilarious fan slogans for Malort, some kind of famously horrible wormwood infused alcohol from Chicago.

Malort: Tonight's The Night You Fight Your Dad
Malort: It's like being picked on in the fifth grade.
Malort: It's the product of a gypsy curse.

Anyway what would be some good ad slogans for Baijiu?

Baijiu: You're Going To Break Your Phone Again
Baijiu: Because You've Lost The Will To Live

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
baijiu: because the Mainland

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baijiu: because it produces three units of liquor per ten units of rice instead of two units of liquor per ten units of rice. This is China's traditional drink now and for the last 5000 years, even though we just invented it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If you're going from Lijiang to Dali you might as well visit Lugu Lake, in between. It's pretty nice.
And yeah Lijiang itself is boring.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
Yunnan chat: seconding Dali being awesome, and nthing Lijiang being dull, overcrowded and overpriced. If you do go to Dali, stay at the Jade Emu: it's the best hostel I've been to in Asia. An alternative to Dali/Lijiang might be Xishuangbana though. You can arrange 3 or 4 day hiking trips along the Mekong river, staying at minority villages along the way. I'd highly recommend it if you want to see something different from China.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Here's my revised China trip:

Hong Kong 30/05 - 06/06
Shenzhen 06/06 - 08/06
Guangzhou 08/06 - 11/06
Guilin 11/06 - 13/06
Wuhan 13/06 - 17/06
Wulingyuan 17/06 - 21/06

is this reasonable? should I visit Fenghuang in between? i'll probably use Wuhan as a base to visit nearby places, just to rest from the rest of my trip

i'll get a soft sleeper train between Guilin and Wuhan.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Wuhan doesn't have a huge amount of note in/around it, so definitely plan that as recovery time. Their botanical gardens are nice, if you like that sort of thing. The fortune-telling hall of Arhats is also pretty cool. Jingzhou is an hour or so to the West if you read Three Kingdoms and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. But, if that description leaves you cold, you might want to juggle the days and leave Wuhan as a one-day transport hub-bounce. Use the extra days for Guilin and its surrounds, so you can do the river -> Yangshuo -> temple cluster -> caves -> rice terraces thing on one day, and still have time to chill for a bit.

Wulingyuan is good. Nice to have an extra day there so you can work around bad weather if it happens. There's nothing there apart from the mountain and the forest stuff, but it's good to have some time to rest if you wear yourself out powering through it all.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
drat drat drat.

I thought Donald Tsang calling Cultural Revolution a product of extreme democracy was just an isolated example of idiocy, but look at what I just read from one of the Baidu Tiebas I have been frequenting:

DUDE WHY posted:

虽然毛的权力大,但其实那十年反而是屁民权力最大的时候。你看任何一个国家有平民可以随便批评当官的么?当时中国就做到了。然后发现屁民真不靠谱,所以以后还是别这样玩了。不过记得当时毛算是少数共产主义里能输出意识形态的人了。日本和欧洲的许多年轻人也一样在搞文化革命。

这说明当时不光中国,就是西方对这个理论接受的人也大有人在。不过文化革命的许多缺点也在后面暴露出来。屁民权力太大,无限制不分好坏的批斗,人的劣根性都暴露出来了。所以平民以后就好好听话吧,给大众权力还真的不靠谱。

Rough translation:

In fact, it was during the Cultural Revolution when the citizens wielded the greatest power. Have you ever seen people in other countries trash their officials like they did? That's what China did. And then they found that the citizens were getting nasty and stopped that. By the way, I remembered Mao was one of the few in the Communist Bloc who was able to export the Communist ideology. The Japanese and European youths were getting their revolutions on too back then.

That meant at that time, that theory was well-received by many in the west. But then the faults of Cultural Revolution showed up eventually. With citizens having too much authority and persecuting left and right, it exposes all the human weaknesses. That's why citizens are better off obeying (the ruling class) - giving the public power just doesn't work.

I thought that guy was pretty cool and this is the reply I got from saying that Mao was an emperor in all but name during Cultural Revolution. Any advice? :saddowns:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Sever.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I remember seeing you in an LP of some Chinese game based on wuxia novel written by Jin Yong, but are you Chinese enough to deal with the delicate balance of Guanxi and Face between two native Chinese on a mainland forum focusing on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? :catstare: (Yes, massive derailing was involved in the making of said post above.)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I wanna go to a CHinese Jojo forum.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

I wanna go to a CHinese Jojo forum.

Not sure if you're kidding or not, but type "tieba jojo" on Google and the forum is the first result.

EDIT: Now another guy said that Mao was great because he didn't become the emperor when given the chance. I am slightly tempted to go :yikes: on that conversation but part of myself is curious to see the effects of mainland China's education on two otherwise pretty intelligent guys.

EDIT 2: Another fun quote from guy 1 that I missed:

SIGH posted:

听你这么说的原因,就跟最近闹的凶的那些香港人差不多啊。真正活的好的谁去闹事,自己活不好就出来怪国家。其实那些闹事的也是真不行。香港原来说中国游客多的时候,随便摆摊卖点游客喜欢的东西就躺着也挣钱。这些人连这种懒钱也挣不到,怪谁啊。
Translation:
It's just like those Hong Kongers making a ruckus recently. People leading a good life wouldn't bother to do that, so they must be pretty sad people who just blame the country because they cannot make a good living. Originally when there are lots of Chinese tourists, anyone can make a fortune by selling whatever souvenirs that tourists like. Those people can't blame anybody if they can't even earn that kind of easy money. (Dude didn't know that I'm from HK by the way.)

Jeek fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 22, 2015

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
is this like those facebook arguments people get into whenever police kill someone in handcuffs, because those are tedious to everyone not directly involved in the argument

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
众所周知...

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

LentThem posted:

is this like those facebook arguments people get into whenever police kill someone in handcuffs, because those are tedious to everyone not directly involved in the argument
Nah, it is just like the three of us were in a massive derail on Chinese history, ancient Egypt and genetics (among other things), then I said something about Mao and bam came the above offhanded comments.

I just wanted to :spergin: about hemophilia and the genetics behind it, man.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 22, 2015

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I really do think the end state of Democracy is a bunch of dumbfucks electing a bunch of dumbfuck leaders who spout nonsense ideology but are entirely in the pocket of large multinational corporations who fund "both sides" and reap massive profits from fomenting global instability and conflict.

I'm sorry, but no matter the result of the next presidential election, Americans are basically screwed, because most people are stupid and believe in backwards, superstitious nonsense that bears no relation whatsoever to the appointment of competent civic leadership.

It's just not gonna happen, America. I was really hopeful about Obama but you all hosed that up royally. From this point on, you really do deserve the leadership you get.

edit: In any case, I don't think China, or anyone else is any better in this respect. We're all pretty much equally repressive, in our own way.

bad day fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 22, 2015

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Every coin has two sides...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

bad day posted:

It's just not gonna happen, America. I was really hopeful about Obama but you all hosed that up royally. From this point on, you really do deserve the leadership you get.

edit: In any case, I don't think China, or anyone else is any better in this respect. We're all pretty much equally repressive, in our own way.

For voting in a Republican congressional majority? That's why Americans deserve bad leadership? Except they cast more votes for Democrats than Republicans in Congressional elections the last two rounds. Hard to see how modern Americans are to blame for the problems built into the American electoral system 300 years ago.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Americans deserve bad leadership because they elect bad leaders.

Is it modern America's fault? Yes, because we are fundamentally incapable of electing good ones.

Is that something anybody can ever really change? Probably no.

bad day fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 23, 2015

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Man, am I sparking an unfunny argument on yet another forum?

I would love to give more update on this unintentional insight into the political view of native Chinese, but the forum has been down so I guess this will do for now:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Political views of mainland Chinese:

The PRC and China are synonymous.

China is good.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Take this stuff to dnd

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
thanks for stepping in mod caberham

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly believe one of caberhams life long goals is to be a moderater of the Internet forum somethingawful.com lol

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 23, 2015

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure you need to be a convicted sex criminal before they'll mod you.. The qualifications are strict. It's a very elite group of people.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

bad day posted:

I'm pretty sure you need to be a convicted sex criminal before they'll mod you.

That's Reddit.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

:aatrek:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

So my landlord texted me this morning telling me she and her husband are moving to another city and want to get rid of my apartment. They were "gracious" and said if I left by the next time I pay rent (mid-June, when I was planning to be gone on a trip) they'd consider everything fine and dandy.

They also said I could stay till the end of July if I wanted to let them store crap in the apartment while they move themselves.

So I'm guessing as a non-Chines person the answer is now, but do I have anything I can do at all here? To be honest I don't even mind moving that much, it's just they're giving me less than a month to do so and I was planning to be out of town most of next month anyway which further complicates things.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OK this one is easy. Take the contract you signed to rent the place and bring it to a Landlord-Tenant Lawyer, you can probably find one in the phone book under 'Lawyers - Property Rights' (this is all in Chinese btw) The lawyer will issue a writ of mandamus to the local people's public security bureau forcing them to enforce the contract and Chinese rental law in general, which contains generous tenant's rights.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Fall Sick and Die posted:

OK this one is easy. Take the contract you signed to rent the place and bring it to a Landlord-Tenant Lawyer, you can probably find one in the phone book under 'Lawyers - Property Rights' (this is all in Chinese btw) The lawyer will issue a writ of mandamus to the local people's public security bureau forcing them to enforce the contract and Chinese rental law in general, which contains generous tenant's rights.

The renting contract is pretty straightforward: I should have 30 days from when they tell me to get out and they need to pay me 2 months rent on top of returning my deposit for breaking the lease. It's more annoying because I was planning on being out of the country for a big part of next month and this totally fucks that over.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 25, 2015

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
It doesn't matter how straightforward the contract is since they will ignore it for their convenience and good luck getting that money from them as well.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You really need to weigh how important it is to you to get it, because getting involved in some kind of legal nonsense in China is absolutely the last thing you should do, ever. We had a big row over this with Ceciltron's situation, didn't we? No matter how badly I get screwed in China, I would personally never try to get any kind of legal authority involved if I had the choice. Our old landlord screwed us a few apartments back so we left the place pretty trashed on the way out. Life in China!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Paint the walls with milk before you leave.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Rental agreements are easier to deal with than Labour contracts. It's way less dodgy than teaching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

They're giving me the 1 month's rent as stipulated in the contract (I thought it was 2 cause several people told me this, which it probably SHOULD be but the one I signed says "1") as well as the deposit, and letting me stay in the apartment till the first week of July which is pretty much a free month's rent as my rent is due on the 11th of June.

Also my office is moving to a place very far from my current apartment in July so I get to relocate closer to there as well.

Everything worked out alright :unsmith: