Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nice!

That's one thing I like about Thor. Even Captain America has some self-doubt, but Thor is just Thor. He was born Thor. He was always Thor.
The only doubts that Thor has are about his dad or his brother. He never doubts his ability to smack things with big hammers.
This is also true of The Hulk, but not of Bruce Banner. (Although Banner gets the "its a real curse you guys" excuse)

I really dislike how The Hulk isn't a character in Avengers. He's just Bruce Banner in rage mode. He has no lines at all, no voice. Hulk is supposed to have so much voice! He's a whole other personality than Bruce, ala Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

We're completely missing out on his refering-to-self-in-3rd-person monologues. "What do you think, Hulk?" "Hulk not think. HULK SMASH!"

I do like how they had Iron Man kinda deliver a line on behalf of Hulk though. He says something about Banner and Hulk gets mad and he's like "yeah yeah sorry, don't mention puny Banner". But we never once hear Hulk himself say "PUNY BANNER!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

This is why I'm so sick of reboots and origin stories. I am so loving sick of the whole "I have superpowers! Oh no!" shtick.

Lets just loving get on with it. I wanna see somebody confident about their powers enough to wear bright spandex and go fight loving aliens and poo poo.

Yep that's the other major superhero sin.

The show Heroes was guilty of both of them :downs:

This is why I like Daredevil. You just get right into it, with some flashbacks filling in the origin and most of his struggle being whether or not he should murder people. And even that's just Catholic guilt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is why I like Daredevil. You just get right into it, with some flashbacks filling in the origin and most of his struggle being whether or not he should murder people. And even that's just Catholic guilt.

Yeah, I liked Daredevil a lot. I'm pretty sure there was one point where he says something like "I'm doing this for me, because I like it." I think it was in response to something Foggy said about quitting.

Reminded me of Walter White towards the end of Breaking Bad. All along he'd maintained that he had to do what he did, that he did it for his family, but at the end he admits that he liked it and he did it because he wanted power and was sick of being the little guy.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I'm exhausted by remakes, reboots, and sequels in general

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Infinity War should really let Banner go into a quasi Grey Hulk or Green MK 3 or whatever.
There was a time when he was just The Hulk with all the intellect and faculties of Banner and never needed to form down.
poo poo, he even got married and had special business suits made to fit his enormous frame. Something in the middle would be cool. Like he gets trapped as The Hulk and has an internal war that culminates with Banner coming out and influencing Hulk and maybe talking full sentences!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MindlessHavok posted:

I just got the Helen O'Loy pun

Can you help me out a little, because I'm stumped.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Infinity War should really let Banner go into a quasi Grey Hulk or Green MK 3 or whatever.
There was a time when he was just The Hulk with all the intellect and faculties of Banner and never needed to form down.
poo poo, he even got married and had special business suits made to fit his enormous frame. Something in the middle would be cool. Like he gets trapped as The Hulk and has an internal war that culminates with Banner coming out and influencing Hulk and maybe talking full sentences!

He'd still have to be voiced by Lou Ferigno though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CannonFodder posted:

Can you help me out a little, because I'm stumped.

Unless I'm missing something, it's Helen of Troy crossed with 'alloy"

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hmm. Yes, I'll opt for a burger from the BM burger mart alright.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Underworld, the vampires don't have any of the powers or abilities vampires are supposed to have. A vampire is checking out a hole in a wall but it's dark so he can't see. A vampire cannot see in the dark.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

oldpainless posted:

In Underworld, the vampires don't have any of the powers or abilities vampires are supposed to have. A vampire is checking out a hole in a wall but it's dark so he can't see. A vampire cannot see in the dark.

I don't think there's much in that movie that isn't irritating - I mean, UV bullets...come on.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

oldpainless posted:

Should have rolled a Mekhet.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Esroc posted:

I'm irritated by any superhero movie/show where a character whines about having superpowers and just wants to go back to being normal. I refuse to believe there is a person alive that wouldn't be stoked to have badass superpowers.

The only exception being heroes like Rogue whose powers' downside overshadows any benefit. I can understand that situation. But watching Skye in AoS bitch and moan about having superpowers fills me with rage. Especially since her entire reasoning is that she's "dangerous", except that the only reason she's dangerous is because she won't take the time to learn to control them despite being told by multiple people that if she'd just chill the gently caress out she'd learn to control them pretty easily.

Can you really blame her? Skye starts out afraid of her powers because they can cause loving earthquakes tear down entire forests. Not to mention she connects them to the death of her friend. Plus no one in Shield knows how to help her and they're actively trying to get her to not use them. She doesn't take the time to train her powers cause she has no clue how to do that. Once she travels to Afterlife and has another Inhuman teach her she openly trains and embraces who she is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

Can you really blame her? Skye starts out afraid of her powers because they can cause loving earthquakes tear down entire forests. Not to mention she connects them to the death of her friend. Plus no one in Shield knows how to help her and they're actively trying to get her to not use them. She doesn't take the time to train her powers cause she has no clue how to do that. Once she travels to Afterlife and has another Inhuman teach her she openly trains and embraces who she is.

That and her powers are literally vibrating her bones to pieces until she gets trained by the Inhumans

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That seems like a completely different show than the one I've seen thus far. What episode is it supposed to get interesting?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That's all from season two after the mid-season break.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That just sounds like a problem that wouldn't exist if AoS was just able to use the X-Men, and was able to send people off to them for training. They don't have at least one mutant member of Shield that they could assign as a teacher?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Schubalts posted:

That just sounds like a problem that wouldn't exist if AoS was just able to use the X-Men, and was able to send people off to them for training. They don't have at least one mutant member of Shield that they could assign as a teacher?

The whole Inhuman arc is about SHIELD changing their attitudes towards people with powers. Before this they would just put them on a list and if they thought they were dangerous SHIELD would lock them up. They were purposefully not using anyone with powers. Skye still wants to be an agent and there are a lot of people against it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
MCU powered people are pretty rare and little known. Shield/Hydra hosed with them a lot so what little community they do have is in strict hiding.

Much like the X-Men in the comics; for most of the comics run the X-Men were feared and hated and no-one would 'just send' someone there for training. E: the Inhumans are basically the MCU X-Men though, too; they have yet to use any of the Inhumans from the comics to any significant extent I'm aware of, save maybe that Gordon has Lockjaw's powers, of all things, and they fit the 'community in hiding, hated and feared by those who know about them' vibe.

All that being said, the treatment of mutants in the comics has varied so widely over the years that it#s actually pretty difficult to say that just one set of tropes and treatment has applied to them.

thespaceinvader has a new favorite as of 13:09 on May 16, 2015

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

MisterBibs posted:

Book example, which I'm not spoiling since it's been around forever:

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream ends with the Narrator turned into a soft squishy beast by the AI, after killing the four other humans trapped in the place they were in. But in doing so, the AI has utterly lost: there are no more humans to torment. Bonus points, the description of the transformation is implicitly impossible to harm.

Yet the tone of the ending is "Wow the AI has totally won!" and it irritates me.

Replying to this from the future, but it's a lot worse than that for AM. It's incapable of shutting down, incapable of movement or creativity, and now completely alone for eternity. Everybody loses.

The game was actually better than the movie, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MisterBibs posted:

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream ends with the Narrator turned into a soft squishy beast by the AI, after killing the four other humans trapped in the place they were in. But in doing so, the AI has utterly lost: there are no more humans to torment. Bonus points, the description of the transformation is implicitly impossible to harm.

Yet the tone of the ending is "Wow the AI has totally won!" and it irritates me.

It's still loving with him by altering his perception of time, though that doesn't mean a lot when they're both immortal anyway.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

See Disney's Frozen as well. The best way to be safe from your powers is to never ever ever loving use them?

The stupid rock trolls aside, the main WTF in Frozen was why the parents kept Anna in the castle too. She didn't have magic powers. Why not send her off to a princess boarding school or to live with relatives, rather than keep her locked up in a massive castle with her parents and a few servants to interact with?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

What? That's what you got? The tone is the narrator lamenting that regardless of who won or lost he's in a position of even greater continual agony than he's ever been. Just because you kneecapped Goliath on your way down doesn't mean Goliath didn't just punch your skull in and said skull-punching hurt like ever-loving gently caress. If it was a third-person narrator it might have been closer to the tone you describe, but it wasn't.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

What? That's what you got? The tone is the narrator lamenting that regardless of who won or lost he's in a position of even greater continual agony than he's ever been. Just because you kneecapped Goliath on your way down doesn't mean Goliath didn't just punch your skull in and said skull-punching hurt like ever-loving gently caress. If it was a third-person narrator it might have been closer to the tone you describe, but it wasn't.

We don't often agree, but you nailed it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't think AM isn't creative, reading some of the tortures he made the group go through.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something bugs me about the Futurama episode "Decision 3012." It involves a presidential candidate who came from the future to prevent Nixon's reelection because it causes a robot revolt. He wins and then since changing the future makes it so that the revolt never happened he doesn't go back in time, erasing him. The problem is that he used Fry's butt tattoo to do his time traveling and it doesn't work like that. Instead of history changing he should have just died somehow.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Cowslips Warren posted:

See Disney's Frozen as well. The best way to be safe from your powers is to never ever ever loving use them?

The stupid rock trolls aside, the main WTF in Frozen was why the parents kept Anna in the castle too. She didn't have magic powers. Why not send her off to a princess boarding school or to live with relatives, rather than keep her locked up in a massive castle with her parents and a few servants to interact with?

Because parents love their children and enjoy being around them. Plus it's a good thing they didn't cause they died like five years later.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Something bugs me about the Futurama episode "Decision 3012." It involves a presidential candidate who came from the future to prevent Nixon's reelection because it causes a robot revolt. He wins and then since changing the future makes it so that the revolt never happened he doesn't go back in time, erasing him. The problem is that he used Fry's butt tattoo to do his time traveling and it doesn't work like that. Instead of history changing he should have just died somehow.

The whole movie was very careful with time travel. It shows that Bender would hide out in the caves below Planet Express until it was "time" to come up. At the end of the movie they decide "gently caress it" because the most recent Bender told them to. It caused a paradox that exploded them and tore a hole in the fabric of time/space.

I imagine that since it was just one person who's destiny changed, rather than a history of theft and thousands of Benders being out of place, space/time could move around one person, rather than so many things being wrong across the planet.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
When a secondary character that isn't a main character, but frequently shares screentime with them, dies and the main characters don't even react or acknowledge it because the dead one isn't a main character so who cares?

Was watching Chappie and at some point Amerika gets killed, but I must've looked away for a moment and missed it because I didn't realize this until the funeral scene at the end and started wondering where the hell Amerika was. Amerika was a pretty important part of Chappie's life in the role of "cool uncle" and seemed to genuinely care for Chappie. And when he bites it no one gives a poo poo, not even Chappie. They didn't even hold a funeral for him! Yet everyone gets all teary-eyed over Yolandi and Deon's fake deaths that didn't even stick.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Irrationally irritating about Mad Max: Fury Road:

From now on I'm going to unfairly judge all action movies against it.

Hopefully it'll make other action movie directors step up their game because drat.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Phanatic posted:

A friend of mine literally just had a massive heart attack while watching it and is now in recovery in the hospital.

I can't loving wait to see this film.

Can you elaborate on this, or are you kidding?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Can you elaborate on this, or are you kidding?

I think there is like one 2-4 minute scene where there isn't crazy action happening. I could imagine someone having an elevated heart rate the whole time. And in that case and having a bad heart could led to a heart attack. Seriously the whole movie just does not stop.

I guess my only complaint is they never seem to answer "then who destroyed the world?" And I wish more people huffed silver paint.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was watching a recent Terry Gilliam movie called The Zero Theorem and it was pretty good up until the last ten minutes when the story just kind of falls apart and nothing gets resolved.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Hopefully it'll make other action movie directors step up their game because drat.

drat was this movie as good as Dredd?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

A whole action movie without some kind of CGI thing destroying the downtown of a major city? That's not what 21st century Hollywood stands for.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

I don't think AM isn't creative, reading some of the tortures he made the group go through.

I'm the ape guy with the huge dong

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

A whole action movie without some kind of CGI thing destroying the downtown of a major city? That's not what 21st century Hollywood stands for.

Nope they just killed an actual desert ecosystem because gently caress NATURE

I really liked Fury Road

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

Nope they just killed an actual desert ecosystem because gently caress NATURE

I really liked Fury Road

Maybe the filming of the movie is what lead to the events in the movie. It's meta as gently caress.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Still watching S.H.I.E.L.D. and it's the train episode and Skye ask If an 0-84 was ever a person and Fitz says he doesn't know. Well wouldn't the Hulk be one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

Still watching S.H.I.E.L.D. and it's the train episode and Skye ask If an 0-84 was ever a person and Fitz says he doesn't know. Well wouldn't the Hulk be one?

I thought that was for alien artifacts not just scary things