Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

thespaceinvader posted:

I'll never quite understand, I don't think, the concept of clamp storage. Isn't clamp storage just a shelf you clamp your clamps to?

Yes but ironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

bimmian posted:

I'm trying out a new philosophy in my shop, "Everything must have a home". I think it's zen or something. So I finally started something I've wanted to do for awhile, tool wall right above my bench.

This weekend I may even have something resembling clamp storage, pretty excited about that.

Maybe you don't care but look into the french cleat style (the woodgears guy uses it and many others) so you can re-arrange things more easily as required.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Sylink posted:

Maybe you don't care but look into the french cleat style (the woodgears guy uses it and many others) so you can re-arrange things more easily as required.

That's pretty much all I've used elsewhere, I just find this style cleaner and it works well with your day-to-day 'core' tools. It still allows for some rearranging, certainly not as dynamically of course. French cleats will be used here too though, I'll have 2'x4' worth just to the right of this board, works out well with an 8' bench. I'll likely have all my hand planes on that side.

bimmian fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 16, 2015

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
All done my campaign travelling bookcase, fun little project, but it's quite deceiving with the number of dovetails, dados and grooves that need to be done. Same with the hardware, lots of brass to inset.

Made out of cherry with book matched white cedar back panels.

All half-blind dovetails to add to the cool factor.

My router plane earned its keep insetting these corners.

More cedar in the drawers.

Wish i could use it as plane storage, but it's up in the bedroom on the wife's dresser now.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Wish i could use it as plane storage, but it's up in the bedroom on the wife's dresser now.

If your wife took that one, sounds like you need to make another one!

Seriously, that looks amazing.
:swoon:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bimmian posted:

That's pretty much all I've used elsewhere, I just find this style cleaner and it works well with your day-to-day 'core' tools. It still allows for some rearranging, certainly not as dynamically of course. French cleats will be used here too though, I'll have 2'x4' worth just to the right of this board, works out well with an 8' bench. I'll likely have all my hand planes on that side.

A 3rd of my walls are filled with cleats too, but I like the look of this more. I made a small one next to my table saw and it's really neat. I think for my future workbenches I'll use this over cleats. One good thing is the holders are smaller and they don't lift up along with the tool half the time.

Also these some cheap clamps, wonder how much they suck, got several of the smallest and a few of the bigger ones to test them out.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291319778074

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also these some cheap clamps, wonder how much they suck, got several of the smallest and a few of the bigger ones to test them out.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291319778074

Wow those are crazy cheap. $3-4 shipped from China and yet they still somehow make a profit, however small. As long as they don't break immediately they could be useful for some basic jigs, at least ones that won't result in losing body parts if they fail.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

bimmian posted:

Hah, I'm discovering the same thing... "where the hell did all these screwdrivers come from??"

Do you have a picture of yours by chance?

The boxes are all on a French cleat. I didn't really plan out the random tools cabinet, but it's working well so far. I figure if I need to rearrange I can just move any racks and just ignore holes or grab some dowel and plug them.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
This seems neat. Rapid drawer joinery technique.

http://www.break.com/video/how-easy-is-making-a-box-this-guy-made-it-easier-2856727

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I thought that drawer build was clever but at the same time I thought, well ok sure a lot of things are faster if you get a custom blade made for it.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Sylink posted:

I thought that drawer build was clever but at the same time I thought, well ok sure a lot of things are faster if you get a custom blade made for it.

Yeah, if one were mass-producing drawers or something, it's gonna save a ton of time. If you need six or eight drawers? Just use a box joint or splined miter.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Crimpanzee posted:

This seems neat. Rapid drawer joinery technique.

Do the guy a favor and link to the original video.
Don't support freebooters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S074ke-EJ6U

As for the drawer thing, it seems fussy. And this is already a thing with a 45 degree router bit, not sure the minor change to the joint is going to offer much more strength. I could be wrong though and this might be the next big thing.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Seems like the same basic principle as a lock miter, with a little less work and a table saw instead of a router/shaper, but good on him for having the ingenuity to come up with a different (and perhaps better, depending on your shop situation) way to do it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm sure if you had that blade you'd use that joint for everything, it looks pretty good.

I assume the 45' router works the same way, cut nearly all the way through, fold at the join? Depending if you have a table saw or router one or the other will suit you.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That blade is ingenious. You could do that joint with several passes with a router and different bits, but having a blade set up to do it just seems really cool. I hope he gets his patent and licenses it to someone who will pay him appropriately.

His cable vise project is also very cool.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Pretty cool setup, completely useless for me with my euro saw though :/

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm gonna be super-annoyed when I eventually start trying to follow North American woodworkers' tablesaw projects and they're all 'now I put in a dado blade'...

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I thought about getting that shaper bit years ago but never was motivated.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Shaper-Cutter-Double-Lock-Miter-3-4-Bore/C2125

Oh look, there's a router bit that does it too.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Corner-Lock-Miter-Bit-1-2-Shank/C1331
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Corner-Lock-Miter-Bit-1-4-Shank/C1711

e.

stabbington posted:

Seems like the same basic principle as a lock miter, with a little less work and a table saw instead of a router/shaper, but good on him for having the ingenuity to come up with a different (and perhaps better, depending on your shop situation) way to do it.

Yeah, gotta love the guy.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 17, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

thespaceinvader posted:

That blade is ingenious. You could do that joint with several passes with a router and different bits, but having a blade set up to do it just seems really cool. I hope he gets his patent and licenses it to someone who will pay him appropriately.

His cable vise project is also very cool.

Patent pending means the patent has been awarded and he's just waiting for the final paperwork and patent number.

That's why he's trying to license it, because he's already got the rights to the idea.

Sorry

Patent Pending = Patent Applied for != Patent awarded

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 20, 2015

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I think it is a great idea and I would buy one.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Crossposting from the stupid questions thread in CC, thought maybe someone here might know! I have a wooden art panel from Dick Blick, and three sheets of thin plywood (6" x 12") that I'm planning on lasercutting. The laser cutter I have access to can only fit one piece of the plywood at a time, but I'm planning on sizing up a vector image that takes up the whole area (so 18" x 12" total) and I want to stick them down to the wood panel surface to form the final image. What I'm curious about is the best way to stick down a mostly flat piece of 1/8" thin plywood to the surface securely. Would wood glue be a good solution for that? There should be quite a bit of surface area left after the cutting for coverage.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MickRaider posted:

Patent pending means the patent has been awarded and he's just waiting for the final paperwork and patent number.

That's why he's trying to license it, because he's already got the rights to the idea.

Thanks! I've never been quite sure why 'patent pending' was considered protection, to my mind it just meant 'I've put the application in'.

E:

redcheval posted:

Crossposting from the stupid questions thread in CC, thought maybe someone here might know! I have a wooden art panel from Dick Blick, and three sheets of thin plywood (6" x 12") that I'm planning on lasercutting. The laser cutter I have access to can only fit one piece of the plywood at a time, but I'm planning on sizing up a vector image that takes up the whole area (so 18" x 12" total) and I want to stick them down to the wood panel surface to form the final image. What I'm curious about is the best way to stick down a mostly flat piece of 1/8" thin plywood to the surface securely. Would wood glue be a good solution for that? There should be quite a bit of surface area left after the cutting for coverage.

Wood glue would be fine, just make sure you get good coverage and good clamping pressure. For a big board, evenly distributed heavy weights on top are probably the best way.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna be super-annoyed when I eventually start trying to follow North American woodworkers' tablesaw projects and they're all 'now I put in a dado blade'...

Do our tablesaws not take stacked blades?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Cakefool posted:

Nope, I've never seen one that does. I tend to read such instructions as "now grab your router and a dado jig".

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Thanks! I've never been quite sure why 'patent pending' was considered protection, to my mind it just meant 'I've put the application in'.
In that case it would be "Patent Applied For" meaning they have the patent in the system (so someone else can't patent the same idea) but the patent office has yet to award it. No guarantee they will though

Patent Pending = Patent Applied for != Patent awarded

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 20, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cakefool posted:

My (limited) understanding is that dado stacks aren't permitted by some EU regulations, so we don't get the option to use them without importing from North America, and can't use them in employment capacities at all.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
What's the best way to fill a big hole in end grain? This was the leftover from some rot. It's about 1/4"x1/2"x3" deep. Should I make a plug and glue it in, or fill the whole thing with epoxy? It's going to be on a back corner so it won't be too visible.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

oxbrain posted:

What's the best way to fill a big hole in end grain? This was the leftover from some rot. It's about 1/4"x1/2"x3" deep. Should I make a plug and glue it in, or fill the whole thing with epoxy? It's going to be on a back corner so it won't be too visible.

Mix some sawdust from that job with epoxy or glue.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

MickRaider posted:

That's not how the term is normally used, at least in the US. patent pending == patent applied for.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

oxbrain posted:

Should I make a plug and glue it in, or fill the whole thing with epoxy?

Yes to Wood plug.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

oxbrain posted:

You don't happen to have any cutoffs from that piece do you? Even if you don't, that color doesn't look like it'd be too hard to match with another species for a plug. Or you can embrace the "If it isn't exactly the same, make it completely different" philosophy.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

gvibes posted:

That's not how the term is normally used, at least in the US. patent pending == patent applied for.
Crap, you're right.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

bimmian posted:

You don't happen to have any cutoffs from that piece do you? Even if you don't, that color doesn't look like it'd be too hard to match with another species for a plug. Or you can embrace the "If it isn't exactly the same, make it completely different" philosophy.

The only pieces I have are different enough color/grain spacing that they'd be noticeable anyway. I think I'm going to plug it most of the way and use epoxy and some wood chips or sawdust to cover.

On a future project I'm going to try some florescent pigmented epoxy. Something along these lines.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Picked this up to power my jointer/planer, a 2.2kw 3-phase Asea motor, most likely made before WW2:

It's open frame, but I was told when asking around that it's mostly an issue with single phase motors and their complicated starting circuits, just hose this one out with air now and then. It also works, the bearings are in better shape than most of my other newer motors and it runs almost silently. I think it exuded a higher build quality despite it's appearance, than a modern sealed motor. I hope the windings have a lot of life left though, it seemed to work just fine for the couple of minutes I tested it. Don't have a megger so I can make sure.

I'd like to strip and refinish the exterior as well. It's such a cool motor, and it weighs more than my 4kw motor that was made in the 60s/70s.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Picked this up to power my jointer/planer, a 2.2kw 3-phase Asea motor, most likely made before WW2:

It's open frame, but I was told when asking around that it's mostly an issue with single phase motors and their complicated starting circuits, just hose this one out with air now and then. It also works, the bearings are in better shape than most of my other newer motors and it runs almost silently. I think it exuded a higher build quality despite it's appearance, than a modern sealed motor. I hope the windings have a lot of life left though, it seemed to work just fine for the couple of minutes I tested it. Don't have a megger so I can make sure.

I'd like to strip and refinish the exterior as well. It's such a cool motor, and it weighs more than my 4kw motor that was made in the 60s/70s.

Seeing all your neato 3 phase toys makes me want to dig up the yard and run an additional 5 x 2.5^2 to my shop.
Then I remember that my shop is all of 3.5x2.5m so I wouldn't have space for all the nice and cheap Marktplaats used commercial grade machinery.

It is sort of annoying to see a 3.6kW multi function saw, jointer, thickness planer, spindle moulder with a sliding table being sold for €375. Knowing that despite the fact that I can make the thing work, there is no way it'll fit in my loving tiny shop.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://grovemade.com/product/maple-monitor-stand/?initial=65
How difficult would this be to duplicate with Red Oak? I'm a mechanical person but I have access to a full woodshop, knowing next to nothing about wood.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If you have 30 minutes to kill, here's a video from the BBC's Handmade series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2JAWLAQuzY

Nice way to zone out for a bit and watch a chair come together.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

How difficult would this be to duplicate with Red Oak? I'm a mechanical person but I have access to a full woodshop, knowing next to nothing about wood.

That looks like plywood with a maple veneer to me. I'm not super-familiar with wood bending techniques, but generally they either require steam or building up the shape out of multiple thin (e.g. 1/8") layers. When you've achieved the thickness you want you can just glue a veneer on to get the desired appearance.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I've never done steam bending, but by initial thoughts based on wood movement would be that you would have to use quartersawn wood to avoid cupping (because it is so thin and wide) and you probably will have a hard time finding a piece of quartersawn red oak that wide. If you do find it, it will be expensive and I doubt you are going to get a lumberyard to chop an 8' board down to 24" to save you some money. Best option might be to find an 8' quartersawn board 2" wide or so, then cut it into four 24" strips and edge glue them. I'd check the yellow pages for hardwood dealers and explore those options before setting foot in a big box store.

Personally (and I might be in the minority), I think red oak would look cheap and tacky no matter how good of a job you do building it. Have you considered other common hardwoods such as walnut, cherry, or maple? Curly maple with a shellac finish is pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hmm, I think you're right. 1/8" sheets of various hardwoods are available online - and fairly cheaply. I'm going to experiment a little bit, I think the difficult part will be making the mold which the wood gets bent around since it will need to be as wide as the final product but solid. Kinda like doing a carbon fiber layup... I'm just not real experienced with wood. :) I do like the maple you described, but would prefer something darker since my desk is stained black.