Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Thinking back; it really is true that most of my favorite EU books don't feature the "Big Three" at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My favourite bits from the EU are the Jedi Knight games, X-Wing: Alliance, Wraith Squadron, and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xJqkzngBI

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Endman posted:

My favourite bits from the EU are the Jedi Knight games, X-Wing: Alliance, Wraith Squadron, and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xJqkzngBI

I unironically really loving enjoy that song.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

jivjov posted:

I unironically really loving enjoy that song.

Me too, it's fantastic. It's so happy! :haw:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

It's funny because of all the things you could point to that are super dumb by EU standards I always felt like Mara Jade was maybe the least dumb. Like okay, she's a hot redhead who falls in love with Luke Skywalker after trying to kill him, it is very, very "what I wrote in my 11th grade Star Wars fanfic," but the concept behind the character, the scalpel to Darth Vader's hammer that Palpatine sent on secret murder missions, doesn't feel at all out of place to me. The execution may not have hit the mark, but at least I can give credit for trying as opposed to something like the Sun Crusher which is dumb from the outset.

Sure but the problem is people hail this as a really good character and a height of the EU, when at best its someone's fanfic.

jivjov posted:

Thinking back; it really is true that most of my favorite EU books don't feature the "Big Three" at all...

Yep, the stuff that is readable doesn't bother to try and cram in people whose story and arcs have very clearly started and concluded outside of them. They just try and tell a story and introduce/develop new people that purely happens to exist in that same setting.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 14, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

kingcom posted:

Sure but the problem is people hail this as a really good character and a height of the EU, when at best its someone's fanfic.

Nah, the character everyone hails as the height of the EU is Thrawn, who also isn't that great but for different reasons. Nonetheless I'd be surprised as hell if FFG doesn't have Thrawn show up in Armada.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Endman posted:

Me too, it's fantastic. It's so happy! :haw:

Presented without comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7bmXywWus8

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

alg posted:

Also if your original comment was complaining about WEG material you can throw yourself in the trash. West End Games contributed a ton to Star Wars and Star Wars gaming

This is baffling, if sincere.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Nah, the character everyone hails as the height of the EU is Thrawn, who also isn't that great but for different reasons. Nonetheless I'd be surprised as hell if FFG doesn't have Thrawn show up in Armada.

They seem to be missing their window of opportunity, since Chimaera was an ISD and makes the most sense to include him with that ship, but the spoiler photo doesn't seem to have any blue-skinned people on any of the cards that come with it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Madurai posted:

This is baffling, if sincere.

Factually he's not wrong...West End Game's Star Wars line is actually the original source for a lot of stuff that would filter its way into the EU and be used by other writers, and there are stories of EU writers sending in requests to George Lucas asking for setting bibles and reference material and being sent bundles of WEG Star Wars supplements.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Like yes most EU stuff was terrible but it's not as if the canon stuff is amazing either. Isn't that right, Mr Sleazebaggano?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Brian Daley’s Han Solo novels from the late 70s and early 80s are about the oldest EU material there is, but I think they’re the best of the lot. They’re fantastic at building a pulpy atmosphere.

Endman
May 18, 2010

echopapa posted:

Brian Daley’s Han Solo novels from the late 70s and early 80s are about the oldest EU material there is, but I think they’re the best of the lot. They’re fantastic at building a pulpy atmosphere.

They also have kickass covers that rule:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Endman posted:

They also have kickass covers that rule:

Also a strange foreshadowing of Harrison Fords other most memorable character's future.....

Endman
May 18, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Also a strange foreshadowing of Harrison Fords other most memorable character's future.....

Maybe George had the book on his coffee table while he was wandering about the ranch thinking "Indiana Jones and the.... and the.... Kingdom? Yeah... Kingdom of the.... of the.... Oh!"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I thought Shadows of the Empire was still considered canon?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I doubt it's canon, but I reckon they'll borrow a lot from it for comics/REBELS stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Not under the new Story Group canon plan. Here are the only canon things:

The (currently) 6 numbered Star Wars films
Clone Wars
Rebels
(Currently) 4 novels (New Dawn, Tarkin, Heir to the Jedi, Lords of the Sith)
A single Dark Horse comic story, Sons of Dathomir
Current Marvel Star Wars comics lines (Star Wars, Vader, Leia)

Everything else is Legends.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am sorry EU-lovers, you like a bad thing. It's ok to like a bad thing, but I'm not board with saying it's good. This is the EU in a nutshell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_x4D1Ausps

Knockoff versions of iconic characters, a cameo by some from the movies, and a whole bunch of hokey dumb crap. And it still manages to be more entertaining than the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Does anyone recall which sourcebook contains the mass combat rules? (I could search, but I'm phoneposting and impatient.) TIA

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Isn't it the AoR GM screen/kit?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Does anyone recall which sourcebook contains the mass combat rules? (I could search, but I'm phoneposting and impatient.) TIA

AoR adventure Encounter at Arda I

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Excellent. Thanks, guys!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
were y'all really shittalking the EU in a thread for a game that specifically exists to do expanded universe stories

also I should totally run a pod racing based game, sinister poo poo going down on the underground circuit, like speed racer in space.

space racer

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Be warned that Onslaught at Arda I is actually a really bad adventure book.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
There was enough Star Wars Expanded Universe for it to be its own genre, and like any genre of media, 10% at best was actually good, 20% was Okay, and the rest was terrible.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So I ran my first game of this yesterday, first time GM'ing as well. It went pretty well and everyone had a laugh which made my day but I've got a couple of questions that came up.

First how does attacking with two weapons work? We all read the section out in the rulebook a few times and none of us could get our heads round it.

Second is a comment from one of my players. Is there a way to defend yourself against an attack when it isn't your turn? Was there a dodge/parry rule I missed.

Also I'll throw this here while I'm at it, I've got a couple of Skype buddies who'd like to give the system a go. Would there be any interest from people here wanting to try out the system, all figuring out the game as we go along?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So I ran my first game of this yesterday, first time GM'ing as well. It went pretty well and everyone had a laugh which made my day but I've got a couple of questions that came up.

First how does attacking with two weapons work? We all read the section out in the rulebook a few times and none of us could get our heads round it.

Second is a comment from one of my players. Is there a way to defend yourself against an attack when it isn't your turn? Was there a dodge/parry rule I missed?
Take the highest base difficulty of the two weapons and increase it by 1, you can spend 2A to hit with the offhand weapon. So no giving Brawn 1 characters a Cumbersome 5 offhand weapon and piggybacking hits with it off a weapon they can actually use.

Dodge is a talent. If you're using Force and Destiny, there's also Parry/Deflect.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Second is a comment from one of my players. Is there a way to defend yourself against an attack when it isn't your turn? Was there a dodge/parry rule I missed.

Players can only make it more difficult to be hit via armour, talents or cover. The only people who can stand out in the open and not die quickly are Jedi with a lightsabre and lots of ranks in deflect. So cover is very handy

Players can mitigate the amount of damage they take by having a high soak and armour.

The system is surprisingly lethal (to the extent of dropping characters in combat, killing them outright is harder) and it can take a bit to get your head around if you are coming from other systems.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

New preview of F&D beginner game

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/5/15/unlock-the-secrets-of-the-force/

That map looks ownage as hell

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

Tekopo posted:

Be warned that Onslaught at Arda I is actually a really bad adventure book.

That's a shame. I'm running The Jewel of Yavin for my group atm, and have been very impressed with it. Was hoping the others were of similar calibre.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Evilgm posted:

That's a shame. I'm running The Jewel of Yavin for my group atm, and have been very impressed with it. Was hoping the others were of similar calibre.

Beyond the Rim is also good, minus one oversight (location referred to that isn't explained), just not as good as Jewel of Yavin. Then again, I thought the race in Jewel of Yavin was not so good. Maybe I ran it wrong.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I’d like to throw a bit of swashbuckling space piracy at my team, but when I think of swashbuckling pirates, I think of climbing and swinging from ropes and stuff. That seems unlikely in a starship. How do I get the party doing Athletics and Coordination rolls in a boarding action?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

echopapa posted:

I’d like to throw a bit of swashbuckling space piracy at my team, but when I think of swashbuckling pirates, I think of climbing and swinging from ropes and stuff. That seems unlikely in a starship. How do I get the party doing Athletics and Coordination rolls in a boarding action?

Have you seen the Falcon? Its got ladders everywhere and poo poo hanging from the ceiling. You just change that to something as big as a frigate or even larger and you can have all sorts of stuff. Poorly lit rooms, chains dangling all over the place, random pits (to carbonite freezing units), console units sticking exposed and shooting sparks off. Star Wars is known for giant bottomless pits for no reason. There are plenty of stuff you can have hanging around.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

echopapa posted:

Yeah, plus loading arms or winches in cargo bays, skiffs with antennae or big guns, etc. Remember the Sand Barge from RotJ, that was swashbuckley as all hell.

Unrelated: Always remember that rules exist to facilitate the narrative. When the narrative is more fun/cool/exciting if you slightly fudge the rules, do it. Don't be that guy that holds up a rule book and starts sperging over range bands, damage tables, etc. Narrative always comes first, even in combat. Don't just hit/shoot the enemy, describe little details and make it awesome. This is NOT D&D.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Got a great laugh from our group last night.

We are basically playing Firefly but with a Jedi instead of River Tam. We picked up a load of frozen beast blood that will be taken to another planet to be converted into medicines.

Vekk "I am just grossed out by having all that blood sloshing around the ship"

Me (the driod pilot) "Now you know how this unit feels every day"

Pause

Group :newlol::newlol::newlol::newlol::newlol::newlol::newlol:

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Dark Horse had a lot of good material in comic form that was EU that I'm sorry to see go, Star Wars Legacy for example. Also with clone wars as canon it kinda shits on the whole mythology built around the Mandolorians of this nomadic warrior culture flying around the galaxy dick punching everyone until they're pretty much stomped out. Also in regard to the Zahn books I read them when I was in middle school and remembered enjoying them, I wouldn't go back and read them bc it would probably destroy my old memories.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, plus loading arms or winches in cargo bays, skiffs with antennae or big guns, etc. Remember the Sand Barge from RotJ, that was swashbuckley as all hell.

Also the original Star Wars has Luke and Leia making a daring swing across a chasm on a battlestation using a grappling line. Swinging around like a swashbuckler is a well established Star Wars tradition.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean by the third movie Luke is just somersaulting and flip-jumping all over the drat place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

The whole point of the Sail Barge bit in RotJ is to have swashbuckling adventure where the heroes are even forced by the big baddie to walk the plank into the Sarlaac's jaws.