Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

So is the pc version going to get any reviews before launch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Doubt it

I don't see anything wrong with the trees in this picture

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
Are the specializations going to be similar to Witcher 2? I think I might try a more magic focused setup off the bat because throwing fire at stuff never gets old.

E: Mainly hoping if they have an alchemy tree again it'll be less boring.

GatewayOfLastResort fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 17, 2015

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Orv posted:

Which draw distance issues would those be in that screenshot?

It looks like the grass is missing in the middle ground (around the bare trees) and towards the right hand side (behind the fluttering banner) of that screenshot. The trees on the hill looks a little clean without bark? They're still 3D so it shouldn't stand out at a glance.

I think that accusation is pretty weak considering bethesda is stupid enough to create any elevated area on their gamebyro engine when it lets you see the LoD noise in its hideous glory. And the faraway enemies clipping through the ground. Judging by the screenshots so far, the devs are smart enough to create areas that hide engine limitations than make really crappy ones that people have to mod away (that might screw up other areas with random CTDs for added value).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

red19fire posted:

I'm stoked for this game, but I've never played the series. Is there anything I need to know going in, or is it better to go in blind? I'm going on console, too, will there be a way to manipulate the previous story or save files? Like the Keep online in dragon age inquisition?

If it helps at all, I went into Witcher 2 completely blind world/storyline-wise and it was no problem at all. I would imagine 3 won't be too much worse, especially considering this game is introducing plenty of people and places that weren't really in the previous games much (other than mentions in dialogue and stuff).

I really really hope they do the other playable characters thing better this time though.

RatHat posted:

I hope armor doesn't apply to traps in the Witcher 3. It was really weird in Witcher 2 since stuff like bear traps become completely harmless like halfway through chapter 1.

Just purposely running into bear traps became my method for collecting them, instead of meticulously disarming them first. :haw:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

Are the specializations going to be similar to Witcher 2? I think I might try a more magic focused setup off the bat because throwing fire at stuff never gets old.

E: Mainly hoping if they have an alchemy tree again it'll be less boring.

Yep, the division is the same: general tree, alchemy, swordman, magic trees.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Delacroix posted:

It looks like the grass is missing in the middle ground (around the bare trees) and towards the right hand side (behind the fluttering banner) of that screenshot. The trees on the hill looks a little clean without bark? They're still 3D so it shouldn't stand out at a glance.

I think that accusation is pretty weak considering bethesda is stupid enough to create any elevated area on their gamebyro engine when it lets you see the LoD noise in its hideous glory. And the faraway enemies clipping through the ground. Judging by the screenshots so far, the devs are smart enough to create areas that hide engine limitations than make really crappy ones that people have to mod away (that might screw up other areas with random CTDs for added value).

I also noticed that there is a blue pixel (upper left) below the flag (left hand upper left) that is bleeding into the ground (center object)

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

iuvian posted:

I really hope they patch in higher quality foliage and draw distance that doesn't look like something from Oblivion.

The Witcher 3 PC Ultra 1440p (19) by Philipp Reuther, on Flickr

I would very much like a list of the mods you're using for your Oblivion installation. tia.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

*looks at screenshot* Holy poo poo that looks amaz...

iuvian posted:

I really hope they patch in higher quality foliage and draw distance that doesn't look like something from Oblivion.

The Witcher 3 PC Ultra 1440p (19) by Philipp Reuther, on Flickr

.. What? I just... Do I not have the eyes to see this poo poo? Am I just not a graphics snob?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

.. What? I just... Do I not have the eyes to see this poo poo? Am I just not a graphics snob?

Please, look carefully.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I'm sure the day 1 patch will fix it.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Poetic Justice posted:

I also noticed that there is a blue pixel (upper left) below the flag (left hand upper left) that is bleeding into the ground (center object)

There's still time to cancel your preorder.

Ice Fist posted:

It means you're one of the lucky ones who spend more time playing games than installing mods and uploading screenshots.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp
That crazy guy ranting about shills is gonna end up being right and it will be hilarious.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
CDPR have PR in their name for a reason.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 17, 2015

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Just think of the poor 9 year olds with Leukemia that bought a $1200 Geforce Titan card to play this game that will never get to experience volumetric smoke and tesselated water pixels or whatever.

CD Project Red.

More like CD Project Russians. You guys are destroying the Make a Wish Foundation with your Communist cost cutting!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Picked up my year old third playthrough of Witcher 2 in the beginning of chapter 1, forgot to pick up my swords when I left the party, and got beat up by those guys waiting on the other side of the tunnel thing. I guess witching isn't like riding a bike; you can forget.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Poetic Justice posted:

Please, look carefully.

They actually make the whole shot look like a painting, which is cool.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Jesus christ this game cannot come out soon enough.

Sepah
May 13, 2014

iGestalt posted:

PC Games Hardware did a Min vs. Max youtube vide for Witcher 3.

It's pretty good

Game looks pretty fuckin' good.

That's a pretty dramatic difference between Min/Max, it looks like it scales well.

I'm hoping the game ends up more gpu intensive than cpu, as I'm still on an i5-2550k 3.4ghz, but I upgraded to a 970 with the Witcher/Batman free deal.

I would love to be able to run it on max.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Turns out I didn't backup my save like I thought I did, are there any good sites with a range of saves to download? (W1 with squirrels, W2 with Iorveth, saved the elf women, save Saskia, left Letho alive, ???)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

VodeAndreas posted:

Turns out I didn't backup my save like I thought I did, are there any good sites with a range of saves to download? (W1 with squirrels, W2 with Iorveth, saved the elf women, save Saskia, left Letho alive, ???)

Here

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Will it be possible to run this at 720p with a crummy old 560 TI? I preordered a while ago (and was expecting to be able to upgrade before release) but now I'm getting worried that I won't be able to play it at all.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
CDPR lied, children died

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

No they don't

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
No idea about the trees themselves but the bend in them makes me swoon... I don't think I've ever seen such weather simulation in a game before. Having realistic wind in games is a luxury I never thought we'd see.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Macaluso posted:

No they don't

No, they do, you just don't have the requisite level of mental illness to see it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Apparently the patch for PS4 and Xbone removed SSAO and lowered AF in cutscenes because of the FPS drops.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1047562

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Robutt posted:

No idea about the trees themselves but the bend in them makes me swoon... I don't think I've ever seen such weather simulation in a game before. Having realistic wind in games is a luxury I never thought we'd see.

I'm really excited to see that in the game as well. That said, most (p)reviewers that have commented on it have said that the effect seems to be overdone currently (i.e. trees bend and sway way too much in relation to how much). Also, it seems to be only the top part of the trees that's moving, which I guess also looks kind of odd. But man, swinging trees, it's amazing how far graphics have come.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Robutt posted:

. I don't think I've ever seen such weather simulation in a game before. Having realistic wind in games is a luxury I never thought we'd see.
Alan Wake was supposed to have realistic weather simulated, back when it was also supposed to be an open world sandbox-like game (and before a bunch of other stuff happened with its development and ...funding).

No idea if the game we got had realistic weather effects, as I only played a small part of it and then put it down (to resume at a later time).

Back to the Witcher... Are early reviewers streaming gameplay from the PC version (early review copy)? Could anyone recommend any particularly worthwhile streamers - who won't constantly comment on downgrade and graphics and won't make you want to drive a pencil through your eyeball?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I don't think they have even sent out the PC version yet.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

cheesetriangles posted:

I don't think they have even sent out the PC version yet.

There are definitely a couple of German gaming sites that have access to the PC version, but they don't stream. They've only put out a couple of videos like 10 mins of 4K/ultra gameplay and a comparison of min/max settings.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

AbstractNapper posted:

Back to the Witcher... Are early reviewers streaming gameplay from the PC version (early review copy)? Could anyone recommend any particularly worthwhile streamers - who won't constantly comment on downgrade and graphics and won't make you want to drive a pencil through your eyeball?

Jesse Cox did a video on his youtube channel about it (him and a bunch of other youtubers got to preview and capture it over in Poland recently) and it's got a lot of information without story spoilers. I think he barely mentions the graphics beyond saying how pretty the game is.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBWcRGWOTUQ

And a video of him fighting a Wraith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrZP6Sq-8vI

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 17, 2015

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I was wondering - does anyone know when PC impressions are meant to be appearing? I was assuming today or yesterday, but it still seems to be quiet. I am a bit worried by that, but I still suspect the game will be superb and fun. Just find it odd that they haven't gotten their primary platform out there.

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 17, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - It seems like they're really trying to control the PC release by not having ANY unlock until day of release - most likely a piracy thing.

Oh my GOOOOOOD this game comes out TOMMMMMORROOOOOOOWWWWWWWW

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

iGestalt posted:

I was wondering - does anyone know when PC impressions are meant to be appearing? I was assuming today or yesterday, but it still seems to be quiet. I am a bit worried by that, but I still suspect the game will be superb and fun. Just find it odd that they haven't gotten their primary platform out there.
Everyone and their mothers will probably be playing the game tomorrow on Twitch.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Everyone and their mothers will probably be playing the game tomorrow on Twitch.

True. I suspect it's an anti-piracy thing. No DRM'n poo poo. Either way, I am incredibly excited for Tuesday. Or I would be if I didn't have to revise for an exam. :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Jesse Cox did a video on his youtube channel about it (him and a bunch of other youtubers got to preview and capture it over in Poland recently) and it's got a lot of information without story spoilers. I think he barely mentions the graphics beyond saying how pretty the game is.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBWcRGWOTUQ

And a video of him fighting a Wraith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrZP6Sq-8vI

Man Quen is such a loving crutch and everyone abuses the gently caress out of it. Quit using Quen you cowards! :argh:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Demiurge4 posted:

Man Quen is such a loving crutch and everyone abuses the gently caress out of it. Quit using Quen you cowards! :argh:

Yeah I think I'm going to put my skills into other things.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, on my second playthrough of Witcher 2 I actually used Quen a lot less and actually had way more fun with the combat, as I could do something other than bumble my way into success.

I will probably be using a lot, a lot of combat drugs and bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Maybe as a primary sword build I might see quen as something useful, but I gotta have my magic roman candle and I've got to spam it constantly. No vigor regen means no quen for me.