Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Normal helps out the player and the one above Hard strips away your bonuses. Impossible just goes gently caress it and throws more enemies with additions to their stats at you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
That might be right, I never checked what the actual differences in the difficulty levels are, but I know that the AI still plays the same. It won't change tactics or make subtle changes to how it approaches situations.

The AI doesn't run out of soldiers, can't lose funding, doesn't have to deal with research etc, so those aren't really bonuses in the same way as for example there are bonuses in Civilization games difficulties where both you and AI play by the same rules.

You can't do anything drastically different with your gear or team, only move slower from cover to cover making sure you don't explore too fast and trigger more than one enemy group.

There's no metagame, and once you finish it on normal there's little point of going back for me. It's a good game, just much shallower than original xcom.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
RAGE. I honestly like(d) this game. The first half, anyway, after which it starts getting ridiculously repetitive. Hmm I wonder if this room will keep me locked in while a thousand mutants slowly crawl from every hole, requiring no effort to mow down. Oh, how did I guess? That's every third room in the game.

Edit: Also unskippable dialogue which gets real grating if you need to replay a section for any reason.

Thoughtless has a new favorite as of 16:05 on May 15, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Vic posted:

That might be right, I never checked what the actual differences in the difficulty levels are, but I know that the AI still plays the same. It won't change tactics or make subtle changes to how it approaches situations.

The AI doesn't run out of soldiers, can't lose funding, doesn't have to deal with research etc, so those aren't really bonuses in the same way as for example there are bonuses in Civilization games difficulties where both you and AI play by the same rules.

You can't do anything drastically different with your gear or team, only move slower from cover to cover making sure you don't explore too fast and trigger more than one enemy group.

There's no metagame, and once you finish it on normal there's little point of going back for me. It's a good game, just much shallower than original xcom.

That's all valid for the vanilla game, but the Long War mod adds resources and research for the aliens, it's really hard and really long, though. I'm waiting for a properly fixed version of the truncated Long War campaign.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Thoughtless posted:

RAGE. I honestly like(d) this game. The first half, anyway, after which it starts getting ridiculously repetitive. Hmm I wonder if this room will keep me locked in while a thousand mutants slowly crawl from every hole, requiring no effort to mow down. Oh, how did I guess? That's every third room in the game.

Still better than the driving sections and requisite town interaction stuff. RAGE would have been a much better game if it just focused on the shooting and hadn't tried to do so many things at once. If it was just a series of levels like Doom it would have been great since the gunplay felt really solid and they might have had more development time to give it a real ending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weirdest part was how they obviously spent a lot of time on the NPCs and they barely do anything and you quickly move past them. Like how the guy who helps you out at the beginning is played by John Goodman and he's only in like 3 missions before you never see him again.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
Onimusha 3 brought me down that way in that Jean Reno is used as the likeness and voice of a character...

For like the intro and that is it. You still play as his likeness and it was cool but his voice actor changed within an hour or so of the game and it was not even funny how noticeable it was.

Why even bother? What was the point of even going to such lengths only to pretty much give up partway through?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm terrible at turn based strategy so I played XCOM: Enemy Within on Easy. Even then things still got pretty intense at times. It still required tactics and planning but I could make stupid mistakes and not get too hosed over. I will also never understand why people enjoy getting hosed over by the RNG that's stacked against their favor.

New GTAV complaint, the car spawning system sucks. I can never find the car I want but as soon as I find one everyone on the road is driving it. It's like the game know when you are looking for a specific ride and sets the RNG to never spawn one without hours of searching.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm terrible at turn based strategy so I played XCOM: Enemy Within on Easy. Even then things still got pretty intense at times. It still required tactics and planning but I could make stupid mistakes and not get too hosed over. I will also never understand why people enjoy getting hosed over by the RNG that's stacked against their favor.

New GTAV complaint, the car spawning system sucks. I can never find the car I want but as soon as I find one everyone on the road is driving it. It's like the game know when you are looking for a specific ride and sets the RNG to never spawn one without hours of searching.

So is that a GTA online complaint? Or a single player complaint? Because as far as single player goes, the car storage system is so convoluted that even if I put a car into my garage other than the personal vehicle, I will almost never drive it for fear of losing it, and if I do drive it, I expect it will get destroyed before I can store it again. In which case I'm happy to drive whatever looks fast but probably handles like garbage.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Starhawk64 posted:

That is exactly how it works and it worked that way back in GTA3 too. I think back then it was a memory issue, but now it's just a legacy mechanic.

im pooping! posted:

So is that a GTA online complaint? Or a single player complaint? Because as far as single player goes, the car storage system is so convoluted that even if I put a car into my garage other than the personal vehicle, I will almost never drive it for fear of losing it, and if I do drive it, I expect it will get destroyed before I can store it again. In which case I'm happy to drive whatever looks fast but probably handles like garbage.

Yep, found that out when I blew $400,000 on a sweet car for Michael with a ton of engine upgrades, tossed it into his garage, and then it disappeared before I even got to use it for anything. Of course, garages eating cars is a legacy mechanic too :rolleyes:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I know on my PS3 I ended up with like 20 cars that I could spawn at will from the actual storage garages in single player. I haven't tried on PS4(I'm guessing no) but that's because I've hardly touched the single player.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What the hell?
Did a signal go out for people to finally play Prototype 2? I just started it two days ago.

It's fun, I adored the first one but so far, I don't really know anyone's motivations aside from RAAAGGGH MY FAMILY WAS KILLED. Then again, you're playing as infamous Spider-Man villain Carnage to kill evil scientists and PMCs so loving cares?

Binding of Isaac bothers me because I've completed all paths on all difficulties with all characters (gently caress. Lost.) And I'm still missing 2 or 3 achievements because I haven't rubbed my baby body on Mom's poop pouch or whatever. Inside the game there is no way to know what items you have picked up and I'm too burnt out.

Hero Siege is a simple, juvenile and cheap monster wave arena game. You can get it for a dollar and I've easily sunk 15 hours j to it. Problem is that the jokes are repetative, formulaic, infantile and boring. It's like a 13 year old wanted to be edgy so he made a Redneck class that shoots flaming tires and jaws on about letting god sort em out.
It also, unabashedly, stole a ton of visuals, items and black humor from the Binding of Isaac series. It's not a subtle hint or nod or clever reference. It's items like Sigmata, Rainbow Baby and Holy Mantle.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

StandardVC10 posted:

Fallout: New Vegas: Giant cazadors materializing from nowhere in the Honest Hearts DLC. I'm an old hand at this game, so regular cazadors in the Mojave that spawn in normally are not a big issue, but it's hard not to take damage when they appear five feet from your head while your back is turned.

Giant Cazadors when playing with Project Nevada and hardmode mods.

Because getting 1 hit by the fastest enemies in the game is fun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The thing I hate about the first person Fallouts is that intelligence is so good any character that doesn't invest heavily in it is practically a gimmick run. I guess it makes sense from an RP perspective because being smart IS useful, but making your build points dependent on it seems kinda stifling.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Starhawk64 posted:

I think the way it works in those sort of games is it doesn't load all possible cars at once, so each area will have a small selection to choose from plus whatever you're driving (since it's obviously already loaded), so when you find a less common car you'll suddenly see NPCs driving it a lot more.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Inzombiac posted:

What the hell?
Did a signal go out for people to finally play Prototype 2? I just started it two days ago.

Both games were recently on sale on steam. That probably has something to do with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm playing it because it was a PS+ game a while back and I'm waiting for The Witcher 3 to come out.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

The thing I hate about the first person Fallouts is that intelligence is so good any character that doesn't invest heavily in it is practically a gimmick run. I guess it makes sense from an RP perspective because being smart IS useful, but making your build points dependent on it seems kinda stifling.

You can do just fine with 4-6 intelligence in the newer games, although you might not wind up a scientist doctor sneakthief armsmaster with enough points in survival to make yourself a nice salad.

With the isometric fallout games if you took less than 10 agility, you were gimping yourself if you ever intended to do anything combat related.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah my highest intelligence I've ever played with In new Vegas was 8 and that time I had so many skill points that I was putting them into stuff I would never use after all the useful ones were 100

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

With the way perks work including comprehension, you really need to allocate much fewer skill points in New Vegas than you would think. It's not out of the realm of possibility to get all your skills to 100, but really the highest you need is 80 if you have the comprehension perk. Just carry a few magazines around with you if you have a DC 100 lock or computer or whatever, and that's only a few different items(the Gobi Campaign Rifle comes to mind).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I didn't even try particularly hard and I had 100 in all skills by the end of New Vegas.

Plus, you can get cyber implants or whatever to raise your stats, so you only really need to start with 9 Int

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

I made some sporadic attempts at an impossible mode game in XCOM and can barely work it through the first few missions. Sectoids, the wimpiest alien, become better than your starting soldiers and you don't have enough grenades, your one advantage, to overcome the increased numbers of them on the first freaking mission. Hunkered down in full cover, they still have a significant chance to one shot your guys and send the rest into a panic spiral. They have infinite patience and won't come at you if you have a good spot. Your guys miss every single shot with odds below 60%

It was hard enough in classic to get satellite coverage without losing countries, as your abduction missions had to happen early, AND they had to offer the right rewards, AND they have to happen in the right countries to reduce panic, AND the countries whose requests you have to turn down to do the former missions must be on continents with low panic, AND any UFO flight computers you find must be intact, AND your geothermal steam vents have to be conveniently placed. On impossible panic increase so fast you get two continents worth of countries ready to withdraw after your fist abduction mission.

I've never even gotten to having to deal with thin men, who have a stronger, more accurate gun before you get the armor to slightly mitigate it and a 100% accurate poison cloud attack. You can give your guys rebreathers to make them immune to the poison, but the AI knows not to try it then, so you're more likely to just get shot with a rifle that can obliterate a guy hunkered down in heavy cover, and the heavy cover, in one shot.

Well, you can't say it's not impossible.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well, you can't say it's not impossible.

Impossible to have fun :colbert:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. Deadlift, Deadlift, Deadlift. Jumps around constantly so it's hard to hit him, has attacks that are almost impossible to dodge and murder your lovely low-level shield in one hit, and a ridiculously strong shield of his own. I could only beat him by hiding in the alcove by the entrance and using Nisha's auto-aim skill to unload on him whenever he was close enough.

I'm also hating how long it's taking me to get a third weapons slot.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

This is a ram issue.
It can only have so many potential cars in memory at a time.
To get around this the game has tables when it comes to 'random' traffic cars so if you managed to grab Supercar Y the table has Supercar Y, Supercar X, Sportscar G, Motorbike S, SUV A.
This is why knowing where certain parked cars spawn is important. Knowing this, you can 'exploit' GTA:O into finding a car you want by constantly hopping sessions (refreshing what table is in RAM or something) to get the spawns you want.

You really notice this if you play the new-gen version of GTA5 then go to the old-gen version.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Croccers posted:

This is a ram issue.
It can only have so many potential cars in memory at a time.
To get around this the game has tables when it comes to 'random' traffic cars so if you managed to grab Supercar Y the table has Supercar Y, Supercar X, Sportscar G, Motorbike S, SUV A.
This is why knowing where certain parked cars spawn is important. Knowing this, you can 'exploit' GTA:O into finding a car you want by constantly hopping sessions (refreshing what table is in RAM or something) to get the spawns you want.

You really notice this if you play the new-gen version of GTA5 then go to the old-gen version.

I remember having to abuse this in earlier GTAs (3 and Vice City for sure) to complete the chop shop. There were certain cars on the list that were fairly rare and didnt automatically spawn somewhere you could steal one (car dealership or whatever) so the best way to get one was to get in a car of the same "class" and tool around the appropriate district until you saw the car you were looking for.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Spent a loving age in Shoreside looking for a Stretch to finish the Chop Shop and saw a dozen of them as sson as I finally nabbed one :shepicide:

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Might And Magic X: Legacy
There's a whole bunch of possibilities for criticism here. The archaic turn-based system, the broken and abusable mechanics, the ridiculously short draw distance, general lack of polish, the fact that it's not just Might And Magic 7 all over again... but despite those, I can still enjoy the game.
What really bugs me are the Elemental Shards that are scattered throughout the game and open up new areas like HMs in Pokemon. Here's the thing: You have no idea where they are, exactly, and they're in these tiny little chests that are really easy to miss. I just found out I had missed the Air shard and had to backtrack an entire dungeon again just to get it.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

razorrozar posted:

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. Deadlift, Deadlift, Deadlift. Jumps around constantly so it's hard to hit him, has attacks that are almost impossible to dodge and murder your lovely low-level shield in one hit, and a ridiculously strong shield of his own. I could only beat him by hiding in the alcove by the entrance and using Nisha's auto-aim skill to unload on him whenever he was close enough.

I'm also hating how long it's taking me to get a third weapons slot.

Why they thought he would be a good early boss fight, or boss fight at all, is beyond me but holy crap what a terrible game I will never beat

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tokyo Jungle could be fun but christ the game doesn't want to be.

Multiplayer: You have to breed every 15 years. Thing is, players can't breed at the same time. So player 1 will get a mate and breed, then you just find a mate for 2 and have that player breed, right? Wrong, you can't use the same area again, you'll have to go out and claim another area so player 2 can finally breed. Also the game outright penalizes you for playing multiplayer by giving you a 0.3 multiplier to your points, which are needed to unlock other animals. 5 minutes single player can earn more points then 40+ minutes of multiplayer. Oh and where you usually get a multiplier depending on your animal (the first herbivore gets a 1.8 multiplier for example) its fixed no matter what both players play as. Both players being a beagle? 0.3. Chick? 0.3.

The toxicity mechanic can choke on a bag of dicks. I love when the entire loving map is covered in smog and I can't eat anything to lower my toxicity cause its all tainted and there is nothing you can do about it other then rest. Which you can do once a minute and may or may not actually change the weather. So you rest, oh its still smog. Better dick around for the next minute until I can sleep again and hopefully the smog goes away. Nope, smog is still here. Well I need to breed cause I'm old. Now that I've bred I need to now claim an entirely new area cause I cannot reuse this area. Oh the entire map is still covered in smog. Hopefully I can claim the entire next area before getting too poisoned. Oh well I'm starving now, I have to eat, gotta eat some tainted food which adds even more to my toxicity. Welp I'm at 100 toxicity, hopefully I can claim this next area and rest and maybe then the smog will go away! Welp I died, luckily I had a pack mate so I can keep going. Finally claimed the area, time to rest! Oh the smog is still here....

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The game also completely rear end fucks you the longer you live with really insane predators and if by some stroke of luck you make it to 100 years, its mostly cavemen around and even if you kill one you can't eat it cause ???

The game tries way to hard to kill you and it just gets obnoxious after awhile.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The relatively-obscure game Plant Tycoon has a minor irritation whenever I feel like playing it:

It's a simple game where you grow and crossbreed plants. While there's a goal of breeding six specific plants (which can entail a lot of spreadsheeting/sperging), I find the game entertaining just on randomly crossbreeding plants. The downside is that you can only store a total of 120 different seeds, whereas there's a lot more potential seeds you can create.

I know I don't have to store every type of seed I create, but dammit, I wish I could.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Inzombiac posted:

Binding of Isaac bothers me because I've completed all paths on all difficulties with all characters (gently caress. Lost.) And I'm still missing 2 or 3 achievements because I haven't rubbed my baby body on Mom's poop pouch or whatever. Inside the game there is no way to know what items you have picked up and I'm too burnt out.

Did you try looking in the part of the main menu that shows exactly which items you've picked up and which ones are still question marks?

e: You have to check a wiki to see what the question marks are based on their location in the list.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

RareAcumen posted:

Haha, yeah all those autists in the PYF thing dragging this game down thread mentioning that the death scenes struck a bit too realistic for them and they're calling that a point against the game. Why don't you just turn off your emotions while playing videogames like a true Klingon? It's all not real remember? :smuggo:

THAT'S VULCANS YOU PLEBEIAN gently caress

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I'm only in the very early game, but:
Divinity: Original Sin - Minmax or lose. Full stop.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Poulpe posted:

I'm only in the very early game, but:
Divinity: Original Sin - Minmax or lose. Full stop.
OS starts out pretty tough but gets a lot easier very quickly.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Hero Siege is a simple, juvenile and cheap monster wave arena game. You can get it for a dollar and I've easily sunk 15 hours j to it. Problem is that the jokes are repetative, formulaic, infantile and boring. It's like a 13 year old wanted to be edgy so he made a Redneck class that shoots flaming tires and jaws on about letting god sort em out.
It also, unabashedly, stole a ton of visuals, items and black humor from the Binding of Isaac series. It's not a subtle hint or nod or clever reference. It's items like Sigmata, Rainbow Baby and Holy Mantle.

If you want to know true frustration, give the mobile version a try. A twin-stick shooter using on screen controls, dear god. Oh yeah, there's permadeath, and you have to stop moving to cast any spells in the latest version.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

THAT'S VULCANS YOU PLEBEIAN gently caress

Whoa hey sorry I affronted you, I've never watched any Star Trek or Star Wars stuff so I'm only guess/ assuming that they're the ones that don't have emotions.

Yeah, I know :thejoke: :v: etc

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

OS starts out pretty tough but gets a lot easier very quickly.

This weird reverse difficulty curve is dragging down a ton of RPGs. Is it so hard to make the starting enemies weaker or start the player at a level where they're not helpless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

If you want to know true frustration, give the mobile version a try. A twin-stick shooter using on screen controls, dear god. Oh yeah, there's permadeath, and you have to stop moving to cast any spells in the latest version.

I just got so mad. gently caress that game.