Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Len posted:

I am not used to earlier comics. I started reading them around the time Secret Invasion was wrapping up and went back to read all of the Bendis Avengers stuff but that's about the oldest I go.

If you don't like wordiness then yeah Claremont is not for you.

I guess if you do like Whedon's other poo poo you might like Astonishing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Grant Morrison's New X-Men run was the last great mainline X-Men run (Gillen's was the last above average mainline X-Men run).

Remender's Uncanny X-Force run is great as well, just a bit towards the outside edge of the X-Men universe.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Grant Morrison's New X-Men run was the last great mainline X-Men run (Gillen's was the last above average mainline X-Men run).

Remender's Uncanny X-Force run is great as well, just a bit towards the outside edge of the X-Men universe.

Everyone forgets Carey's short lived X-Men run :( (Before it turned into crossovers and Legacy at least)

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

hope and vaseline posted:

Everyone forgets Carey's short lived X-Men run :(

Eh I didn't love it. Too much Rogue.

I kinda liked Joe Casey's X-Men stint, but now that was a short run, and everything he was building to got cut off when editorial swerved directions.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am not grumpy, I just don't see the appeal.

Especially Whedon. They aren't bad, just kind of bleh.

"Torn" might be one of the best X-Men stories I've ever read, even if it did have a non-ending that led to the not-as-good "Unstoppable."

I mean, it's hard to beat those Wolverine scenes. Or Cyclops just shooting people with a grin on his face.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Len posted:

I checked the OP and didn't see an answer. I have never read an Xmen comic before but have Marvel Unlimited where's a good place to start?

Try the first issue of Uncanny X-Men by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Giant Size X-Men by Len Wein and Dave Cockrum, New X-Men #114 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, Astonishing X-Men #1 by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday, and Wolverine and the X-Men #1 by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo.

Get a little taste of the different eras of X-Men, and find which one speaks to you. Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender is a pro choice if you want some heart with your black ops mutants.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Although, that does reference prior X-Men and requires a knowledge of Age of Apocalypse and a little bit of New X-Men and general X-Men history.

Also, X-Factor (the original) is great and I recommend reading that and it sets up a lot of future X-men stuff. It's the "Original X-Men" being the X-Men in a separate book from the (then) ongoing X-Men.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

LordPants posted:

Also, X-Factor (the original) is great and I recommend reading that and it sets up a lot of future X-men stuff. It's the "Original X-Men" being the X-Men in a separate book from the (then) ongoing X-Men.

Also X-Factor vol 3 aka X-Factor Investigations aka Madrox and Pals is great for the first half and pretty good to okay for the second (imo the dividing line is around the 9th tpb) if you think it'd be more fun if the X-Men were private detectives.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There were definitely down arcs here and there, but yeah I really loved most of that X-Factor run.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

X-Factor spoiler seriously don't look at it - I totally lost my poo poo when the "baby" was born and he just sucked that thing up. It was the best and worst simultaneously and his reaction was just so incredibly stupid. "Ah well, technically...."

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EDIT: Nevermind, being a dick and didn't notice that's exactly what's being discussed.

IUG fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 12, 2015

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
For me, the recent history author tier list is still....

Whedon
Carey
Gillen
Claremont
My own fanfiction (Which notably, does not actually exist)
Collaborative Forum Star Trek / X-Men Crossover Erotica Fan Fiction
The FOX Movies
Bendis

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shockeh posted:

Whedon
Carey
Gillen
Claremont
The FOX Movies
Bendis

There's a highly disturbing lack of Morrison on here even if you're one of those idiots who don't like his X-Men he's important enough to be on the list

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You should never fell shame for hating Morrison.

It is the correct path.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The TLC hit "No scrubs" is actually about the singer not wanting to date people who read Morrison comics.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Whedon
Carey
Gillen
Claremont
The FOX Movies
Bendis

Beneath that, "Austen."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I genuinely, unironically enjoy what Austen did with Juggernaut and Sammy the Fish Boy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

BrianWilly posted:

I genuinely, unironically enjoy what Austen did with Juggernaut and Sammy the Fish Boy.

That's the true tragedy of Austen's run, that it's not a consistent shitshow but a shitshow that displays the potential to be an actual wonderful run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

His Avengers run, on the other hand...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

And then, of course, I also recall that he made it so Angel bleeds on people to heal them and then made him have aerial sex with nineteen year-old Husk in front of her mother.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

The TLC hit "No scrubs" is actually about the singer not wanting to date people who read Morrison comics.

Actually that song is about you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Actually that song is about you.

I have my own ride to hang out the side of, thank you.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

My dark secret is that teenage me enjoyed that run up until, I think, the Draco. And was adverse to New X-Men. I was dumb.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Skwirl posted:

There's a highly disturbing lack of Morrison on here even if you're one of those idiots who don't like his X-Men he's important enough to be on the list

You could make an animated GIF of that list where Morrison's name just moves all over it at random. There's individual bits of Morrison's run I love, and bits I despise. I can never decide.

E: Oh, and I just forgot to put him on there.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 17, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Frankly, my first impressions of Morrison's run were negative too. I didn't like that he was focusing on the boring characters instead of the "cool" ones that were off in other books, I thought the whole thing with Cassandra Nova and the Mummudrai and Shi'ar or whatever was too abstruse and hard to get into, and Frank Quitely's art gave me the genuine honest-to-God impression, for at least half an issue, that this whole storyline was set in the future and all these characters were in their fifties and sixties.

Nowadays...yeah, it is absolutely one of my favorite, most definitive runs on any comic ever, and I get something new from the experience no matter how many times I reread these issues.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I read Morrison's run pretty late after the fact and only walked away liking some of it. He deserves credit for trying to advance the overall world of X-Men, and Quire is a great character now, and everything about his Weapon X stuff was good. However a ton of it feels like he didn't really get the X-Men at all. Very few of them had a voice that was similar to their previous voices. I guess I could say he had a lot of interesting ideas for the characters but the execution was spotty because he didn't do enough service to the characters themselves.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's a pity that Marvel really killed Morrison's best idea in the cradle with the great depowering of all mutants without sufficient sales. His work on the idea of mutants as a minority group with their own developing culture as opposed to a broadest brush stand-in for every minority's woes could have gone interesting places.

Also Magneto straight up pointing out that no matter what he does it won't loving matter because retcons was wonderful for how fast and how high Marvel jumped to prove it true.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Morrisons run on X Men is the best the book ever had. Whedons was ok but thanks to Cassadays art. Claremont and Carey are also good.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Morrison's run is one of my favorites, but I recommended it to a friend and ended up having to kinda admit some of it was a little too out there. I still don't quite understand Cassandra Nova.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

Morrison's run is one of my favorites, but I recommended it to a friend and ended up having to kinda admit some of it was a little too out there. I still don't quite understand Cassandra Nova.

Space parasite, gets overpowered by Xavier since he's a telepath. Really mad about it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'd have to re-read his run to check on the voices and characterization but I thought his Magneto is perfect. I don't think Morrison does shades of gray really well. He just looked at Magneto's first appearance, went "Oh, he's a terrorist" and went with it full throttle.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

BrianWilly posted:

And then, of course, I also recall that he made it so Angel bleeds on people to heal them and then made him have aerial sex with nineteen year-old Husk in front of her mother.

OK this sounds pretty dope actually.

On a different note: What's worth catching up on from the post-Schism/Marvel NOW! stuff? I've read the first dozen or so issues of Bendis' stuff, as well as All-New X-Factor, Magneto, X-Men, and maybe an issue or two of the various X-Force comics. I know Legacy is dope, as well as Uncanny Avengers, but those are pretty separate from the current continuity leading up to Secret Wars, right?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Chinaman7000 posted:

Nova, I can get and find almost interesting. Mister Sublime, on the other hand....

Chill Penguin posted:

Wait until you hear about the exploding communion wafers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Chill Penguin posted:

It is not don't be misled

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Don't worry guys, I've read most of Austen's run when it originally came out, but scenes like that, out of context, sound crazy enough to be cool and original. I did think the healing blood was cool, though, and wasn't that around the time when all the older mutants were getting secondary and, in some cases, tertiary mutations?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I still kinda liked that dumb Exiles/Uncanny X-Men crossover, which is why Young X-Men made me really, really angry when they killed off Wolfcub. And also the whole part where Young X-Men was really bad and in some ways worse than Austen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chill Penguin posted:

Don't worry guys, I've read most of Austen's run when it originally came out, but scenes like that, out of context, sound crazy enough to be cool and original. I did think the healing blood was cool, though, and wasn't that around the time when all the older mutants were getting secondary and, in some cases, tertiary mutations?

Also mutants can not get aids so angel can give his blood to everyone!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

bobkatt013 posted:

Also mutants can not get aids so angel can give his blood to everyone!

Wasn't that Angel being an idiot, rather than an actual statement of fact?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cabbit posted:

Wasn't that Angel being an idiot, rather than an actual statement of fact?

Nope!

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I would love someone to take the Secondary/Tertiary mutation route as a negative. Rather than just 'Here's your new super power!' run with it that Beast is merely the frontrunner in a curve; Yes, it's a mutation, you idiot, and it's going to have some short term effects that might be positive, but most of you are just going to mutate out of control and die. Then have people realise that Emma Frost, Beast etc. just happen to be older mutants, and it's actually going to happen to all of you, and most aren't going to survive it.

• Locked thread