Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DJCobol posted:

I'd rather loving swim to Europe than give United another dime of my money.

Good thing you're using points for this then :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Europe is my first choice of destinations, but all 3 are places I want to go. I need the extra time to save for Europe though so I can rent a proper race prepped car for some laps around the Nurburgring.

Edit: Didn't see the ATL-HNL route. I didn't even think about that. Time to start looking for IHG resorts in Hawaii.

Here is a current list of the Delta 747-400 schedule and upcoming route changes:

Last updated: 5/7/2015

Current 747 Routes:
ATL-AMS: Daily (since 3/28/2015)
ATL-HNL: Daily (since 5/1/2015)
DTW-AMS: Daily (since 3/28/2015)
DTW-CDG: Daily (since 3/28/2015)
DTW-ICN: Daily (since 08/20/2013)
DTW-PVG: Daily (since 10/02/2014)
DTW-NRT: Daily (since 10/25/2014)
NRT-MNL: Daily
NRT-HNL: Daily
HNL-KIX: Daily (since 10/25/2014)

Upcoming Route Changes (as confirmed by DL schedule):
09/08/2015 Route Drop: ATL-HNL
10/24/2015 Route Drop: ATL-AMS
10/24/2015 Route Drop: DTW-AMS
10/24/2015 Route Drop: DTW-CDG
10/25/2015 Route Drop: DTW-PVG

Delta had 16 744's but 3 were retired Sept 2014. Looks like 6 more will be retired after this fall. Routes with the remaining 7 are:

DTW-NRT
DTW-ICN
HNL-NRT
HNL-KIX
NRT-MNL

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 14, 2015

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Radiohead71 posted:

Here is a current list of the Delta 747-400 schedule and upcoming route changes:

Last updated: 5/7/2015

Current 747 Routes:
ATL-AMS: Daily (since 3/28/2015)
ATL-HNL: Daily (since 5/1/2015)
DTW-AMS: Daily (since 3/28/2015)
DTW-CDG: Daily (since 3/28/2015)
DTW-ICN: Daily (since 08/20/2013)
DTW-PVG: Daily (since 10/02/2014)
DTW-NRT: Daily (since 10/25/2014)
NRT-MNL: Daily
NRT-HNL: Daily
HNL-KIX: Daily (since 10/25/2014)

Upcoming Route Changes (as confirmed by DL schedule):
09/08/2015 Route Drop: ATL-HNL
10/24/2015 Route Drop: ATL-AMS
10/24/2015 Route Drop: DTW-AMS
10/24/2015 Route Drop: DTW-CDG
10/25/2015 Route Drop: DTW-PVG

Delta had 16 744's but 3 were retired Sept 2014. Looks like 6 more will be retired after this fall. Routes with the remaining 7 are:

DTW-NRT
DTW-ICN
HNL-NRT
HNL-KIX
NRT-MNL

Awesome, thanks. I spent today looking for ATL-HNL around Christmas time so that explains why everything I was finding was non-747. Since I can't do this until next year, DTW-NRT wins it looks like!

So, tell me about Japan.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

DJCobol posted:

So, tell me about Japan.

It's awesome, eat food everywhere, ride the shinkansen everywhere, never be satisfied with infrastructure or public services in America ever again

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Bisty Q. posted:

It's awesome, eat food everywhere, ride the shinkansen everywhere, never be satisfied with infrastructure or public services in America ever again

Japan rules, people are great, eat all the local delicacies at all times, and stay at a traditional inn/spa (ryokan) at least one night.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man amtrak is such a loving joke. 100 mph? Jesus Christ

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm in business class on a 744 next week but forgot to change my seat so am on the lower deck :saddowns:

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm in business class on a 744 next week but forgot to change my seat so am on the lower deck :saddowns:

On Delta? You're still good, but the UD is the best. I flew in 1A (lower nose) on the first flight and 77A (UD) on the way back. It's still a great experience. People describe the upper deck on Delta like you are on your own private jet. It's very quiet, there's 2 bathrooms for 14 people max and the FA do a good job of keeping everyone else out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Radiohead71 posted:

On Delta? You're still good, but the UD is the best. I flew in 1A (lower nose) on the first flight and 77A (UD) on the way back. It's still a great experience. People describe the upper deck on Delta like you are on your own private jet. It's very quiet, there's 2 bathrooms for 14 people max and the FA do a good job of keeping everyone else out.

Yes, DL.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Not sure if you can trade seats now, but here is the seatguru for the 744 main deck

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Delta_Airlines/Delta_Airlines_Boeing_747-400_C.php

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah, I checked it. I'm 4 A, should be kind of neat - semi forward facing.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

You'll be fine. That is a good seat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Radiohead71 posted:

You'll be fine. That is a good seat.

I usually only get 763s and 333s for my international flights out of BOS so it'll be a fun diversion.

Next time I go to the UK I have to try out the Virgin 789s they just introduced on the route.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I usually only get 763s and 333s for my international flights out of BOS so it'll be a fun diversion.

Next time I go to the UK I have to try out the Virgin 789s they just introduced on the route.

Nice pic of lower deck here

I've yet to try a 788, 789 or A388, but everything else I've flown on pales in comparison to the Delta 744 business class. I have no doubt you will enjoy it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't like Virgin because they have the aisle-facing herringbone pattern on everything, it's really annoying. I want to see out the window, god drat it.

I am surprised that Delta isn't flying the 744s until they disintegrate what with their odd fleet strategy.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't like Virgin because they have the aisle-facing herringbone pattern on everything, it's really annoying. I want to see out the window, god drat it.

I am surprised that Delta isn't flying the 744s until they disintegrate what with their odd fleet strategy.

Delta's 777's are the same way. I hated it (facing the aisle) and looking at the person across from you.

What's forcing the 747 retirements are the upcoming D maintenance checks, which are very expensive and require the entire plane being taken apart. Some of them are over 25 years old. Delta has A350s and A330s coming soon, so the fleet will be moved around a bit.

Here's a Delta 747 trip report I just saw on airliners (not me)

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/265232/

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 14, 2015

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
I'm going to be on a Lufthansa 747-800 in business in July. I have an upper deck seat (83A) and am super excited for it. Seatguru seems to think the whole upper deck is the same, but I'm curious if anybody has other experience.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Bisty Q. posted:

I'm going to be on a Lufthansa 747-800 in business in July. I have an upper deck seat (83A) and am super excited for it. Seatguru seems to think the whole upper deck is the same, but I'm curious if anybody has other experience.

This might help (see post 306)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...ce-reports.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Radiohead71, you got thoughts on 72K vs 4A? I can make that switch but you said 72K is sub-optimal. Worth the switch for the upper deck gimmick? I'm leaning yes.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Radiohead71, you got thoughts on 72K vs 4A? I can make that switch but you said 72K is sub-optimal. Worth the switch for the upper deck gimmick? I'm leaning yes.

No way, it is right by the bathrooms and also the cockpit. 72K is a no go. I would stay in 4A and be happy. Especially if you plan on sleeping.

Here is a picture showing the cockpit, 2 bathrooms (BR) and the seat.

Are there any more upstairs available? Some like 80k but it's right next to the stairs and galley.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 15, 2015

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I have a meeting on Sunday! He'll yeah. Check out my grody delta seat. Its rusty around the window and looks like boogers around it.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

^ OMG, need more details. What aircraft and what airport? A320 or 757?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It's a non refreshed 757 I think on a JFK dtw phx route.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Uncle Jam posted:

I have a meeting on Sunday! He'll yeah. Check out my grody delta seat. Its rusty around the window and looks like boogers around it.

:stare: That looks like a US Airways plane.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It was an exit row seat, and the exit row locking lever between the two exit row windows looked like it had the panel resoldered back on with silicon rubber as some point :stare:

Is there a way to look up tailnumber based on route, then look up the planes history? Maybe the door had been popped out at some point and weatherized...

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Uncle Jam posted:

It was an exit row seat, and the exit row locking lever between the two exit row windows looked like it had the panel resoldered back on with silicon rubber as some point :stare:

Is there a way to look up tailnumber based on route, then look up the planes history? Maybe the door had been popped out at some point and weatherized...

Yes, there is. If it was this DL2312 that left JFK at 16:30, then it was N988DL. However, N988DL did not proceed to PHX today (and is an MD-88), so... :3:

The real confusion is the only flights from JFK to DTW today on Delta were on MD-88s or CRJs.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
My segment was dtw to phx, so I dunno if they came from jfk or la guardia or something.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Is there a way to look up tailnumber based on route, then look up the planes history?

I loving wish I knew; it would make my tracking so much easier.

Once the flight's about three months old, though, you can find the tail number from the BTS ontime statistics, assuming it's a US domestic flight, and that the actual operator flies at least 1% of US passenger revenue and thus has to report. Then for getting a tail's history, FlightAware maintains a long history of flights, but if it's not recent, you have to pay to get it.

I really need to get around to writing my planned blog post on the tricks I use to figure out tail numbers that I can't see on the plane itself.

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 17, 2015

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Uncle Jam posted:

My segment was dtw to phx, so I dunno if they came from jfk or la guardia or something.

DL2021, then? That was a 757.

N669DN. Nothing interesting here: http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=669DN

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I really need to get around to writing my planned blog post on the tricks I use to figure out tail numbers that I can't see on the plane itself.

Seriously, do this please. O'hare has awful angles for seeing tail numbers

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
What up what up, red eye back Monday morning to the office ! I'm blitzed! And by blitzed I mean I have not gotten sleep!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
A baby is in the hizouse behind me!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

A baby is in the hizouse behind me!!

I was in a back row of J on a DL flight on Friday night. In the first row of economy comfort was a baby. We were delayed 2.5 hours due to a bleed air issue in the engine; the baby caterwauled 99% of that time. The other 1% of the time, the baby was barfing. Good poo poo.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

If you know the flight number you can look up the route on flightradar24 and see the recent history including tail numbers (and from there the recent routes of that aircraft)

Edit: Looks like you got a 'whatever was available':

http://www.flightradar24.com/reg/n669dn

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 18, 2015

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was in a back row of J on a DL flight on Friday night. In the first row of economy comfort was a baby. We were delayed 2.5 hours due to a bleed air issue in the engine; the baby caterwauled 99% of that time. The other 1% of the time, the baby was barfing. Good poo poo.

Ban all babies from everywhere.

I have nightmares of a darling, wailing, baby boy that has 3 rooms calling to complain and the hotel is sold out so we can't even shuffle anything around. Ended up comping those 3 and buying them rooms elsewhere. Not a huge deal really, just sucks to deal with. Also my bonuses.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I managed to sleep the whole time due to exhaustion anyway, take THAT baby.

Also the row next to me had a woman with a carry on dog. Dog was quiet but why sit at a bulkhead when you have luggage like that? Why? And why do these people choose redeyes?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

And why do these people choose redeyes?

I always assumed it was because they're the cheapest

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You also save a night of hotel room. Yeah you feel like poo poo the next day, but just drink some red bull and have a big breakfast!

Hey guys, I couldn't use my laptop during my last flight :( I just wish I Ipads have beefier processors and blue tooth keyboard. Better yet, use the seat monitors as a display.

I guess there's always business class for business people :allears:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

You also save a night of hotel room. Yeah you feel like poo poo the next day, but just drink some red bull and have a big breakfast!
That didn't work for me. I red-eyed home from LAX->ATL->BNA a couple of weeks ago, and even though I got a Qdoba breakfast burrito and a Monster while in Atlanta, I was still dead as soon as I got home and sat on the couch.

quote:

Hey guys, I couldn't use my laptop during my last flight :( I just wish I Ipads have beefier processors and blue tooth keyboard. Better yet, use the seat monitors as a display.

They do make bluetooth keyboards for iPads. Most integrate as a case. I had this one, except for my older "new" iPad and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

caberham posted:

I got a folding laptop with a small screen and it seems to be ok in econ comfort. I have gorilla length arms though so if the person next to me is fat rolling into my seat they get a bit of elbowing sometimes.