Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also Magneto wasn't dead, he was pretending to be Xorn, so Polaris' grief-stricken crazy naked Genosha antics were doubly meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dacap posted:

Is Polaris his kid still? Or was she ever? I can't remember

She was initially conceived as not being related to him in any way, then some guy was like YEAH BUT THEY HAVE THE SAME POWERS!!! and made them related. Then Peter David had a very boring cliched reveal about Polaris' past that made her throw knives around for a couple issues that re-retconned her as not being his kid, but actually being the kid of some people she blew up when her powers manifested ridiculously early.

I'm surprised her reaction was to lose it instead of just going "Wow, my past sure is hackneyed."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasn't it Chuck Austen that made her Magneto's kid?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dacap posted:

Is Polaris his kid still? Or was she ever? I can't remember

According to the latest issue of Magneto she is still his daughter.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In a series based around DNA granting powers I am a lot more comfortable with Polaris' 'same powers, must be related' than Quicksilver's 'same hair, must be related'.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Say Nothing posted:

Also Magneto wasn't dead, he was pretending to be Xorn, so Polaris' grief-stricken crazy naked Genosha antics were doubly meaningless.

Comic books!

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Knormal posted:

Well the Japanese certainly captured Cyclops' character perfectly.

They got Cable down pat as well.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Lurdiak posted:

She was initially conceived as not being related to him in any way, then some guy was like YEAH BUT THEY HAVE THE SAME POWERS!!! and made them related. Then Peter David had a very boring cliched reveal about Polaris' past that made her throw knives around for a couple issues that re-retconned her as not being his kid, but actually being the kid of some people she blew up when her powers manifested ridiculously early.

I'm surprised her reaction was to lose it instead of just going "Wow, my past sure is hackneyed."

I could have sworn that arc revealed he was her father, but that he didn't kill her parents, she did, because they were fighting and her dad found out about her mom cheating. I could be wrong, but I'm going to assume I'm not.

Rhyno posted:

I think initially it came up in Peter Milligan's X-men that ran concurrently with Austen's Uncanny. But got changed back and then changed back again.

Shawn fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 17, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shawn posted:

I could have sworn that arc revealed he was her father, but that he didn't kill her parents, she did, because they were fighting and her dad found out about her mom cheating. I could be wrong, but I'm going to assume I'm not.

It's entirely possible. I mostly remember that it was surprisingly bad for X-Factor.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lurdiak posted:

You read that story entirely wrong. The X-Factor story revealed that she was the daughter of Magneto and Mrs. Dane, and that's what the Danes were fighting about when her powers manifested and crashed their plane. And then Magneto had Mastermind remove her memory of that so it wouldn't traumatize her. (Didn't work.)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Which was Peter David's attempt at not only explaining decades of the mental instability of the character, the previous hack jobs by other writers trying to make her Magneto's daughter, and in turn redeeming her so she could be used in the next iteration of X-Factor. I'd say he did a pretty good job there.

edit: goddamn it, I didn't even realize this isn't the X-Men thread. You guys completely ignoring the only important thread rule suck.

Have some Ragdoll being awesome/creepy:

Secret Six #8 (pre-Nu52)

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 17, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm sorry, I just like bad puns.

http://nonadventures.com/2015/05/16/pants-like-no-one-is-watching/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

You read that story entirely wrong. The X-Factor story revealed that she was the daughter of Magneto and Mrs. Dane, and that's what the Danes were fighting about when her powers manifested and crashed their plane. And then Magneto had Mastermind remove her memory of that so it wouldn't traumatize her. (Didn't work.)

Yeah, mea culpa.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Okay, it's me. I'm the one who doesn't understand this pun. Grey jeans?

Now that I type it, I think I get it. Jean Grey, master of death and rebirth. Phoenix. Durhoy.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

IUG posted:

Okay, it's me. I'm the one who doesn't understand this pun. Grey jeans?

Now that I type it, I think I get it. Jean Grey, master of death and rebirth. Phoenix. Durhoy.

S'ok - I'm the nerd who gets cross whenever someone makes a joke about Jean Grey dying and resurrecting constantly.

She is the preferred host of an all-powerful entity called The Phoenix. It's not like you should be surprised she keeps coming back from the dead!

That said - much like Hank Pym beating on women - I suspect that Jean Grey's death/resurrection cycle is prolly no more impressive than most superheroes - it's just the one that gets highlighted the most.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It is because she had a fake-out death back when a fake-out death still kind-of meant something, then an actual death, then all that Madeline Pryor bullshit, followed by coming back. That was what gave her the reputation. The Madeline Pryor bullshit--which I'm still not 100% clear on--seems to have been what did the legwork because iirc there was a lot of back and forth on whether or not Pryor was really Jean or whatever.

I wonder who actually has the record for most death-resurrections aside from characters who have that as their schtick like Mr. Immortal or Resurrection Man?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

mind the walrus posted:

I wonder who actually has the record for most death-resurrections aside from characters who have that as their schtick like Mr. Immortal or Resurrection Man?

I figure Apocalypse would be up there, but his resurrection thing has been often enough that it's also become his schtick. Same with Solomon Grundy, though Grundy's more blatant.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mind the walrus posted:

It is because she had a fake-out death back when a fake-out death still kind-of meant something, then an actual death, then all that Madeline Pryor bullshit, followed by coming back. That was what gave her the reputation. The Madeline Pryor bullshit--which I'm still not 100% clear on--seems to have been what did the legwork because iirc there was a lot of back and forth on whether or not Pryor was really Jean or whatever.

She has actually died again at least once since then and is currently still dead except for her younger self who came forward in time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Travis343 posted:

She has actually died again at least once since then and is currently still dead except for her younger self who came forward in time.

No poo poo she did. She died over a decade ago. That wasn't what gave her the reputation, which is what I was talking about.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jean just died again like a year ago.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

That second panel will never not be hysterical to me. If only because Mag's eyes have gone full-on Tommy Wiseau.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Schrodinger's Phoenix.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That second panel will never not be hysterical to me. If only because Mag's eyes have gone full-on Tommy Wiseau.

For some reason my mind goes to this:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Here's Deadpool stopping a horn from being played by shoving his severed arm in it.

(A+X #8)

Admittedly may only be funny if you're familiar with the Doom Toot Horn :gaz:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Who isn't at this point?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
How long have we had Doom Horn Toot as an emote :stare:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Malachite_Dragon posted:

How long have we had Doom Horn Toot as an emote :stare:
And why is it "gaz"?!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It was Gaz-L's avatar before he pissed off CineD.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Jean just died again like a year ago.

What?

Zdarsky variant for Ultimate End #2

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 18, 2015

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
That makes me hope they'll do another "What The-!?" special after Secret Wars. The NEW MARVEL NOW! one was pretty great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Brian Michael Gwendis,

That's amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Battle of the Atom. The future version of time lost Jean Grey came back in time from that new timeline and died in front of her younger, time displaced self.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

No, Polaris being hinted at as Magneto's daughter predates even All-New, All-Different X-Men. It's just they waffled on it for decades until they finally said, "Yes, she is."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

No, Polaris being hinted at as Magneto's daughter predates even All-New, All-Different X-Men. It's just they waffled on it for decades until they finally said, "Yes, she is."

I know that! I just thought he was the one to go ahead and make it a thing!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Ditch posted:

And why is it "gaz"?!

:gaz: is from the Marvel Heroes (made by Gazillion) thread over in Games.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

I know that! I just thought he was the one to go ahead and make it a thing!

As I understand it, the consensus was pretty clear that Polaris thought she was Magneto's daughter once and then realized she was wrong and then everyone accepted "no, she's not" for decades until Austen said "Yeah, sure she is."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She didn't "realize she was wrong," she TOOK A DNA TEST THAT CONCLUSIVELY PROVED THEY WERE COMPLETELY UNRELATED.

gently caress Austen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

She didn't "realize she was wrong," she TOOK A DNA TEST THAT CONCLUSIVELY PROVED THEY WERE COMPLETELY UNRELATED.

gently caress Austen.

That DNA test was devised for humans. :colbert:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SynthOrange posted:

That DNA test was devised for humans. :colbert:

Secondary mutation: Cool And Famous Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Also DNA tests don't work that way, and also there was that high profile case of a woman who turned out to have chimaerism that had a court official literally supervise her birth and the DNA testing of her child and still failed to be recognised as the mother.