Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CzarChasm posted:

Uh-huh. Let me introduce you to my Japanese friend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs
BREAK OUT!

I think the second one (starting at about 2:00) is even better. The love triangle is just perfect.

I appreciate that Rogue gets to do more than wink at the camera in the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"YOU PROMISED TO DESTROY LILANDRA!"

":smug: I lied."

ninja edit: Also, the 2nd Japanese opening is pretty funny where Jubilee gets to be way more effective than she ever is in the show... then trips over her own feet so Logan can look cool and save her.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 15, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The X-Men jumping off an erupting volcano with their giant logo next to it was pretty sweet if you were only allowed five seconds for your show intro :allears:

Thank you for showing me this lovely thing. Even if I'm still trying to work out where the Moon fits into all this.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Skwirl posted:

(Edit: Those alien things are The Brood, who were regular X-Men villains, but I don't think ever showed up in the cartoon)

No the brood showed up. It was a Rouge centered arc where a guy shows up that she can touch turns out he's a brood hybrid and has infected her. They capture and start to infect the X-Men but Wolverine was immune and Rouge cured herself with the old power leeching.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Lurdiak posted:

I'm afraid you're mistaken, it was almost immediately topped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

Holy poo poo, I never knew how badly I needed an X-Men Anime until now.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Nycticeius posted:

Holy poo poo, I never knew how badly I needed an X-Men Anime until now.

You mean other than the one that already exists?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

quote:

Each of the series, guided by writer Warren Ellis,

Is there somewhere that these can be streamed from legally?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

IUG posted:

Is there somewhere that these can be streamed from legally?

I watched the X-Men one on Canadian Netflix. Not sure if it's still up there.

EDIT: Nope, not on Canadian or American Netflix, never mind.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 15, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They were on Prime in the UK as well.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If it helps, all but the X-men anime were absolute trash quality.

X-Men was just okay.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I saw an episode of the Iron Manime once just sitting around and it was just awful.

I do find it funny that, of all things, the Wolverine anime is the one thing in the past 10+ years that Steve Blum didn't voice Wolverine in.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

TwoPair posted:

I do find it funny that, of all things, the Wolverine anime is the one thing in the past 10+ years that Steve Blum didn't voice Wolverine in.

That just makes me imagine the X-Men movies and the Wolverine movies with Blum dubbed of Hugh Jackman.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Phylodox posted:

Sir, you've made my day!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edit: New One Punch Man chapter.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 16, 2015

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Edit: New One Punch Man chapter.

So he can now be .5 Punch Man?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He just waves his fists generally at people and they fall over.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Zereth posted:

Allow me to rephrase: Why is Magneto attacking the X-men in a way which isn't related to his powers?

What are you talking about? He uses his magnetic personality to achieve animal magnetism which effects the electromagnetic waves of the Brood hivemind.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The MSJ posted:

What are you talking about? He uses his magnetic personality to achieve animal magnetism which effects the electromagnetic waves of the Brood hivemind.
Oh okay that makes perfect sense!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYt78FWfa5M

I am the rocks of the eternal shore. Crash upon me and be broken.
Whatever they do with Apocalypse in the movie can't possibly measure up to this.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Pierson posted:

Whatever they do with Apocalypse in the movie can't possibly measure up to this.

Maybe with Christopher Walken doing those lines.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The MSJ posted:

This could have appeared in the comics a few decades ago and nobody would have batted an eye.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

I love that at some point a desperate writer tried to handwave Magneto's mind-control powers by him controlling the iron in blood.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I was gonna ask how that story resolves but I'm gonna assume the last panel has me covered.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That sort of foreshadowing reminds me of an early Avengers issue where Mad Thinker figures out a perfect plan to stop the Avengers, incorporating the "human element" he'd neglected in earlier confrontations into his calculations. It all goes swimmingly until Hercules just kind of wanders into the story and beats the crap out of all his henchmen.

"My plan was fully prepared for the human element.... but how could it anticipate... a god?"

Old comics rule.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Raygereio posted:

I love that at some point a desperate writer tried to handwave Magneto's mind-control powers by him controlling the iron in blood.

In the Days Of Future Past movie, he 'hacked' Sentinels by studying their schematics and then inserting metal strands from a railroad into their circuitry.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wasn't that just him controlling them with the metal he'd threaded through their bodies (like he might do with Wolverine) instead of actually overriding their programming?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AnonSpore posted:

Wasn't that just him controlling them with the metal he'd threaded through their bodies (like he might do with Wolverine) instead of actually overriding their programming?

Nah, the way it appears on screen it looks like he changed their programming, and they continue to follow that programming even when he's distracted or otherwise occupied. I just thought of it as rewiring their circuit boards or something along those lines. It's best to just roll with it, it's not like they explained why Kitty Pryde suddenly had the ability to send people's minds into the past, but if she couldn't there wouldn't be any movie at all.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AnonSpore posted:

No, because at one point he tells one to "do what you were made for" and it shows its HUD registering Wolverine and them as mutants. He basically reprogrammed them. And invented voice recognition.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Raygereio posted:

messed up that he had his daughter strip for him, imho

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

Being a kid who was never into big hair and hearing her voice I wondered why Rogue was a sex symbol until I was like nine and realized what tight outfits do to the eye.

Well the Japanese certainly captured Cyclops' character perfectly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dordreff posted:

Good news on the retcon front.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Ghostlight posted:

Good news on the retcon front.

Now there's a phrase I never thought I'd see.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That text translates to "JEEEEEEAAAAANNNNN!!!!!" right?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Deadpool posted:

That text translates to "JEEEEEEAAAAANNNNN!!!!!" right?

It translates to "I want to hold you (JEAAAAAAAAAN) in my arms more than anyone else"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raygereio posted:

In X-Force #25 Magneto reveals that he can undo the mental conditioning Rusty and Skids underwent by destroying the parts of their brains that were effected because you know, iron in blood.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dordreff posted:

Magneto has weird relationships with all his daughters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

She was also retconned into not being his daughter via a bad X-factor arc. Although, her being related to him in the first place was very unimaginative. They have similar powers, they must be related! Now, let me tell you about Osborn and Sandman's hair!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So now Mags has no kids? :smith:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Is Polaris his kid still? Or was she ever? I can't remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

Is Polaris his kid still? Or was she ever? I can't remember

No. Yes. A wizard did it.