Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I'm already giggling talking about EVE with you gents, that seems good enough for me- I'll go over the application tomorrow when I'm awake enough to not screw up hilariously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I'm going to fly a badger full of narcotics and exotic dancers, male on the next strat op

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Eve-Uni sounds like a goddamn buzzkill machine that's latched onto the already huge buzzkill of high-sec pubbie bullshit. You will like it better with goons, for sure. You don't even need seniority to lead a kitchen sink fleet in GSF. I got really drunk on theta comms a year ago and decided I wanted to lead people to their certain death and like 15 people followed my drunk rear end into the abyss, it was great.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pookum posted:

I'm going to fly a badger full of narcotics and exotic dancers, male on the next strat op

This should be reimbursable.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I cannot for the life of me remember the exact context, which you would really think I would, but I vaguely remember spacing exotic dancer, males at one point. I think it was the first time I noticed the cargo, it was like "Oh hey, gigolos... let's buy a spaceship full of them then poop it in space for fun"

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Voyager I posted:

tbf I get the impression that being able to go on space power trips was a core part of the SirMolle experience, so I doubt his fantasy space empire involved treating his vassals with even a facade of civility.

SirMolle is super loving weird. He is into BDSM (I think) and new joins in his corp are called bitches. It's incredibly bizarre.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Nietzschean posted:

Why would anyone reasonably want to abandon or commissar allies or pets?
Do you... know anything about BoB or SirMolle? I recall at least one time where BoB forcibly ejected one of their own pets because of some fuckup or perceived slight, and they routinely abandoned entire regions of paying renters whenever the anti-BoB coalition gained ground.

My point was that the CFC/Imperium isn't really anything like BoB, because even though GSF's 'valued allies' can be somewhat terrible, they're still otherwise treated equally, given SRP, never hung out to dry, etc. Unsurprisingly, this works a lot better than treating everyone like poo poo and occasionally poaching a half dozen people here and there to add to your elite space bushido empire.

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay, question: I tried EVE a year or more ago, no goons but I liked the idea of being nice to each other and focusing on economics and exploring and other carebear poo poo, so I joined Eve Uni. Lots of nice people but ho boy did I have trouble with the red tape- if you told me that they had an official policy called double-secret probation, I wouldn't be surprised.

To that end, if I found that level of bureaucracy to be a deal breaker, would I be unlikely to have any more fun puttering around with goons? All I wanted to do in E-uni was be a space trucker and screw around in wormholes occasionally stealth bomb the poo poo out of RvB, and after something like 4+ months had gone by and they still said I wasn't allowed to do any of that, I just kinda got bored and quit.
Ahahaha, holy poo poo. I knew Eve-Uni was bad, but how the gently caress is this even possible? Forcing people to sit on the sidelines for months, freaking out if you engage in unsanctioned PvP or if you lose a ship (the horror!), all buried under a mountain of rules. This is exactly how I'd structure an organization whose sole intent is to burn out the greatest number of newbies and create the worst possible Eve players out of the ones that stick with it. GSF is basically the exact opposite of this.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

mikey posted:

My point was that the CFC/Imperium isn't really anything like BoB, because even though GSF's 'valued allies' can be somewhat terrible, they're still otherwise treated equally, given SRP, never hung out to dry, etc. Unsurprisingly, this works a lot better than treating everyone like poo poo and occasionally poaching a half dozen people here and there to add to your elite space bushido empire.

There's nothing wrong with being Elitist, if you have the people to back up your mouth- which technically, NCdot hasn't had in quite some time.

Why anyone wants to join them, or even takes them seriously at this point is utterly beyond me.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

mikey posted:

Ahahaha, holy poo poo. I knew Eve-Uni was bad, but how the gently caress is this even possible? Forcing people to sit on the sidelines for months, freaking out if you engage in unsanctioned PvP or if you lose a ship (the horror!), all buried under a mountain of rules. This is exactly how I'd structure an organization whose sole intent is to burn out the greatest number of newbies and create the worst possible Eve players out of the ones that stick with it. GSF is basically the exact opposite of this.

To be fair, there was a tiny smidgen of logic here, it was just stupid logic: when I was there E-Uni was almost constantly at war, because basically everyone realized that boatloads of new players constrained to very strict premade builds that are published on a publicly available wiki = incredibly easy targets. The uni's approach to discouraging new wardecs was to try and be as boring as possible to fight, so instead of fight (and potentially award someone a kill), they wanted everyone to hop into a safe station and chill out for however many days, weeks, or years it took for the war to end.

Here's another lovely one, which probably constitutes the single most WTF thing I saw while I was there: I ran two characters for most of my time in eve, one focused on manufacturing and trading skills, one on combat skills. I realized that the uni only wanted characters who were in the uni in a lot of fleet actions, so I asked them to let my secondary with all the combat skills join. "You can only have one character in the uni," they tell me, "If he joins the other guy has to quit. Fair?" That sounded fine, so I did just that... then when I asked one of the officers to reinstate the various ranks + hangar access my guy had, they went "You can't access those anymore- rank is based on the time a character has served in the corp, not a player. Feel free to go through the application process for all those ranks/privileges again in two months when your character is old enough.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

To be fair, there was a tiny smidgen of logic here, it was just stupid logic: when I was there E-Uni was almost constantly at war, because basically everyone realized that boatloads of new players constrained to very strict premade builds that are published on a publicly available wiki = incredibly easy targets. The uni's approach to discouraging new wardecs was to try and be as boring as possible to fight, so instead of fight (and potentially award someone a kill), they wanted everyone to hop into a safe station and chill out for however many days, weeks, or years it took for the war to end.

If your corporation is large and lives in high sec this is an incredibly stupid attitude to have. You're always going to be wardecced no matter what you do. They should be teaching people how to dodge pipe campers, how to move stuff while under a wardec and use the opportunity to build up PVP experience and FCs. What you shouldn't do is teach people that the best way to deal with the situation is not to play and that ship losses are inherently bad. Jesus Christ. :negative:

quote:

Here's another lovely one, which probably constitutes the single most WTF thing I saw while I was there: I ran two characters for most of my time in eve, one focused on manufacturing and trading skills, one on combat skills. I realized that the uni only wanted characters who were in the uni in a lot of fleet actions, so I asked them to let my secondary with all the combat skills join. "You can only have one character in the uni," they tell me, "If he joins the other guy has to quit. Fair?" That sounded fine, so I did just that... then when I asked one of the officers to reinstate the various ranks + hangar access my guy had, they went "You can't access those anymore- rank is based on the time a character has served in the corp, not a player. Feel free to go through the application process for all those ranks/privileges again in two months when your character is old enough.

I don't even know where to begin with this.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

darth cookie posted:

If your corporation is large and lives in high sec this is an incredibly stupid attitude to have. You're always going to be wardecced no matter what you do. They should be teaching people how to dodge pipe campers, how to move stuff while under a wardec and use the opportunity to build up PVP experience and FCs. What you shouldn't do is teach people that the best way to deal with the situation is not to play and that ship losses are inherently bad. Jesus Christ. :negative:

I don't even know where to begin with this.

Holy crap, I just realized what the whole affair reminded me of- it's the DMV in space!

EDIT: Also, holy poo poo am I bitter- I didn't realize how incredibly salty I was, and I should note for the record that there are an awful lot of awesome chaps in the corp- just not running it.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 17, 2015

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

SirMolle is super loving weird. He is into BDSM (I think) and new joins in his corp are called bitches. It's incredibly bizarre.
I believe the term they use is biznatches and you're assigned a daddy upon joining. Also, you get to give up all your poo poo to the corp in order to join. Of all the dumb pubbie bullshit in EVE, that might take it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Viva Miriya posted:

Epsilon Squad: home of the best posters.

probably true

Omi no Kami posted:

Holy crap, I just realized what the whole affair reminded me of- it's the DMV in space!

EDIT: Also, holy poo poo am I bitter- I didn't realize how incredibly salty I was, and I should note for the record that there are an awful lot of awesome chaps in the corp- just not running it.

No you are not bitter any internet spaceship organisation with that kind of retarded rules doesn't deserve having cool members.

Wolfy posted:

I believe the term they use is biznatches and you're assigned a daddy upon joining. Also, you get to give up all your poo poo to the corp in order to join. Of all the dumb pubbie bullshit in EVE, that might take it.

biatches and yes, they do full space kommunism and essentially go "gently caress you if you keep any space money beyond plexing your account"

e: look at their ~*~primer for prospective new members~*~ for some good laffs :haw:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 17, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wolfy posted:

Scientology?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Omi no Kami posted:

Eve Uni teaching newbies the greatest lesson of EVE, how to not actually play the game.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

sometimes I think that it'd be a good idea to remove the ability to post kill data outside of the game completely. People care way too much about having a green killboard, as if its a valid metric to measure a player, corp or alliance's worth. That inevitably leads to killboard circlejerking and doing stupid poo poo to prevent a red killboard like not undocking. It's loving poison.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If the new opportunities thing doesn't do it, it should probably show players a killmail generated after a loss emphasizing how it's useful and how it isn't, or something.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

darth cookie posted:

sometimes I think that it'd be a good idea to remove the ability to post kill data outside of the game completely. People care way too much about having a green killboard, as if its a valid metric to measure a player, corp or alliance's worth. That inevitably leads to killboard circlejerking and doing stupid poo poo to prevent a red killboard like not undocking. It's loving poison.
but how would lovely corps fighting over lowsec ahahaha more like sitting on poo poo space nobody wants measure :qq: ~they're e-peen~ :qq: without zlossboard.com?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

darth cookie posted:

I think this would be very good for eve.
As an added bonus, the hisec pvper tears would be enough to fill an ocean.

But that's not going to happen, nowaday every game track a tons of stats, it seems that's what everybody cares about rather than do stupid poo poo and enjoy the game in fear of hurting their precious kdr.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

blowfish posted:

e: look at their ~*~primer for prospective new members~*~ for some good laffs :haw:

Dear god that poo poo is hilarious, he seriously expects people to give up EVERYTHING just for the privilege of stroking his power boner

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

mikey posted:

Do you... know anything about BoB or SirMolle? I recall at least one time where BoB forcibly ejected one of their own pets because of some fuckup or perceived slight, and they routinely abandoned entire regions of paying renters whenever the anti-BoB coalition gained ground.

One time one of their renter pets The Horde (which they denied they had) had a Chinese RMTed in BoB space and Molly did "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!?" speech when he caught they ratting where one was not supposed to rat. He kicked out the entire alliance within the hour.

Another time Lady Scarlet gave a morale raising speech to RISE that was so morale raising it it over clocked their morale level and put into the negatives instead.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Comstar posted:

Another time Lady Scarlet gave a morale raising speech to RISE that was so morale raising it it over clocked their morale level and put into the negatives instead.

Was that before or after RoyofCA got to them?

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

I've read a lot of stupid poo poo about EVE but this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long, long time.

Join GSF, GROON, Karmafleet, HV, Pandemic Horde, loving whatever you can to get away from that sort of poo poo. It sounds like a bad tabletop group horror story metastasized into one of the largest 'new player' groups in EVE, except it fucks them.

(Join groon if you want to shoot eve-uni in syndicate)

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Read this thread and decided to resub again, then i realized i am vacationed so i sent in a email like it said. Now i am sitting here remembering how bad I am at EVE and wishing i had played more earlier on when Goonfleet started out so I wouldn't be so terrible.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Join GSF, GROON, Karmafleet, HV, Pandemic Horde, loving whatever you can to get away from that sort of poo poo. It sounds like a bad tabletop group horror story metastasized into one of the largest 'new player' groups in EVE, except it fucks them.

They also do a selection of t-shirts http://www.redbubble.com/people/EVEUniversity/shop/popular

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

:barf:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

At first glance I read the "bubble" in that as "pubbie"

e. which is kind of appropriate as "bubble" is early-modern English slang for "victim of a scam."

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

I joined E-Uni when I started playing 4 years ago after joining the galmil npc corp on the first day and having some passerby say basicall "are you loving nuts join e-uni." 2 weeks after joining I found my rear end parked in station under the "we're wardecced, do nothing except in a fleet" policy, then I found out you cant start a fleet or ask to join an existing one, you had to wait until someone senior made a new one which was basically never.

I had the EXACT same reaction- " I'm playing EVE at the DMV." I was going to say exactly that when I saw your post.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Did sovereignty get hosed up in Eve what's the deal with that? I know a guy who plays eve and I didn't really follow everything, but he said changes had been made and now everyone has moved to lowsec?

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Crankit posted:

Did sovereignty get hosed up in Eve what's the deal with that? I know a guy who plays eve and I didn't really follow everything, but he said changes had been made and now everyone has moved to lowsec?

Every one of our enemies that owned sov, yes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crankit posted:

Sov changes are in June. Barely anyone moved to lowsec because of them specifically already, people who just got curbstomped have however.

Julien
Jun 26, 2007

Meanies only take NO
for an answer!

Hazdoc posted:

Eve Uni teaching newbies the greatest lesson of EVE, how to not actually play the game.

I'm in this same boat....I've been playing for about 5 months...Carebearing around high sec while I trained some skills. When I decided that the game might actually be more fun with other people my first thought was to join the Goons. But I read the application wiki and even though I've been here a long time I have a relatively low post count because I mostly hang around the deals forums (not a poor, just a cheapskate) and I figured that would be an impediment. So I joined E-Uni and they're okay but they don't do much in the US Time Zone, it doesn't seem, and I'm basically still doing what I was doing before. So despite the fact that I haven't posted much, is there a place for me in the Goon armada?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Join Karmafleet if you can deal with pubbies. Join Groon if you can't. That said, post count is less important than being part of the community. (Post count just happens to be a decent proxy for judging, "Is this person a part of the community.")

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Join Groon

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Is there a pattern to data/relic sites in null and where to find them? I know they are usually moving through the constellation but I find my biggest deterrent is going 12 jumps to find just one and then I get garbage loot then I can't seem to find another within 4-6 jumps.

Julien
Jun 26, 2007

Meanies only take NO
for an answer!

Ynglaur posted:

Join Karmafleet if you can deal with pubbies. Join Groon if you can't.

Thanks. My main goal is to learn PvP. I can kill robots just fine but I gather killing actual people is a different art. Would you recommend one of these over the other for that?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I know the general refrain in EVE is to do a job with the cheapest, smallest ships you can, if I wanted to skill into a comedically huge battleship or cap and learn how the heck to use it correctly, would I still get pretty regular chances to participate in fleets, or am I better off getting good at something really small and really cheap that I can burn through hundreds of?

cybertier
May 2, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, I know the general refrain in EVE is to do a job with the cheapest, smallest ships you can, if I wanted to skill into a comedically huge battleship or cap and learn how the heck to use it correctly, would I still get pretty regular chances to participate in fleets, or am I better off getting good at something really small and really cheap that I can burn through hundreds of?

Current mainline doctrine is "Das Boot" which is primarly Dominixes. So yes you can fly battleship.
The other mainline is Tengus, which are not comedically huge, but still larger than frigates.

Still learning in smaller, cheaper ships is never a bad idea, before moving on to more expensive stuff.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ooh, I like tengus... they're stupidly fun to wormhole in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The rule is to never fly what you can't afford to lose. Of course that's not a strict law, just a smart thing to do. I fly plenty of poo poo I couldn't simply replace right away. The thing is, you're going to die while learning this game, a lot. Even when you think you have some fucker outmatched you'll suddenly explode in new and exciting ways. It's best to do this in ships you can afford to replace and fight again without destroying your wallet. Gunning straight for battleships, T3 cruisers, and capital ships while dropping a chunk of your actual paycheck to finance every loss you incur is not smart.

• Locked thread