Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

TKIY posted:

Is that a drop pod slamming into a Titan at the bottom?

If you have a better method I would like to hear it.

Which one is meant to be the Mogadishu battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ghetto wormhole posted:

A techpriest can bring servitors to improve the repair roll, potentially with automatic success (1+). You could also bring an Atlas recovery vehicle to give him a second repair and rerolls on both. You can also do it every turn although you need to be in base contact.
I missed the part on it being once per game; in that case, I'd be kinda pissed if my once per game repair roll didn't go off :v: That being said I don't plan on ever taking an Atlas, and although I painted a techpriest and servitors I don't know when/if I'll ever use them since they're so situational, squishy, and pricey. Once I paint my Land Raider maybe they'll just pal around with that.

Ignite Memories posted:

edit: SRM you should meet him sometime,
I'd be happy to!

Ignite Memories posted:

he lives in dorchester.
:yikes:
(Joking aside yeah sure! I'd be happy to play some basement hams at his place, Dorchester's only like an hour from me on the Red Line)

Hustlin Floh posted:

Hahahaha they did the Battle of Mogadishu with Orks and Storm Troopers. How soon we forget the lessons of Big Toof River...
Black Hawk Down is just this year's Zulu! in Warhammer World.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Got back from a 2v2 game; 1500pts per player, 3k per side. Daemonkin are way less fun than I'd hoped; the two turn wait for summoned bloodthirsters assaulting sucks and I probably won't play this army again. I'll finish painting it because I'm having a lot of fun with that part, but I think I might have finally hit the breaking point on how bad of a game 40k is.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

krushgroove posted:

For everyone that wanted the Princeps model:
I was able to ORDER (not receive) Princeps models for everyone that wanted one, they were £9 and we were limited to 1 per person until later in the day. I ordered several the first time I went in line, and by the time I went back a second time they were sold out for the day and I ordered an extra couple. I should get the Princeps and Guilleman models this coming week, and I'll post them out to everyone that asked, and work out the postage difference with you individually.

Thanks Kushgroove, that's very awesome of you, email me at themajormajors@gmail.com or pm me when you're ready.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

drgnvale posted:

Got back from a 2v2 game; 1500pts per player, 3k per side. Daemonkin are way less fun than I'd hoped; the two turn wait for summoned bloodthirsters assaulting sucks and I probably won't play this army again. I'll finish painting it because I'm having a lot of fun with that part, but I think I might have finally hit the breaking point on how bad of a game 40k is.

Remember that the Bloodthirster brought in by Blood Tithe arrives before the movement phase, which means it is allowed to change flight modes in that same turn (although it is not allowed to move, as per the Deep Strike rules.) This essentially shortens your wait time down to a single turn, although that can still feel like a painfully long time when the enemy is shooting you with every gun they have.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Played a game today -- I tabled my opponent! I have never actually done that before. Feels good, man.

1500 points, I had my Steel Legion, he had a Dark Eldar Coven list. Lots of webway portals, some minimum warrior squads, grotesques, etc. He also had the Dark Artisan Claw formation, which made the MCs in it very hard to kill. It was Big Guns Never Tire with 5 control points.

Highlights include:
- My Executioner saw it's first game, killed a Talos, didn't get hot once, and then got exploded by some blasters after firing only once.
- My blob squad didn't do a drat thing all game.
- My Wyverns fuckin smoked anything they looked at.
- My PCS with four flamers managed to hit a unit of Scourges 20 times, killing only 3.

Good game, good opponent, good times.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Sivores posted:

Thanks Kushgroove, that's very awesome of you, email me at themajormajors@gmail.com or pm me when you're ready.

Did you PM me Friday? I only ordered enough to cover the goons that asked before I went.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man i wish I'd seen you were doing this.

Still, thanks for representn with the bag.

krushgroove posted:

Did you PM me Friday? I only ordered enough to cover the goons that asked before I went.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

krushgroove posted:

Nope, i did not and had no idea that was the case, sorry I was hopeful but mistaken, it's whatever though I'll grab one off ebay.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
:siren: New blog post + battle report :siren:

The Chronicles of Ahn continue... this time with an Escalation Clash!

Baneblade vs Stompa... but its a special Kustom Mekboy Stompa!

http://ahnchronicles.tumblr.com/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Sivores posted:

Nope, i did not and had no idea that was the case, sorry I was hopeful but mistaken, it's whatever though I'll grab one off ebay.

Yeah sorry about that, it was a bit last minute and very limited-time offer. There some cheap listings on ebay right now but there are already people buying them at £35+

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, it was quite a ways away. He does have a car, though. I floated Pandemonium as an idea of where to play, because that's sort of in between the three of us. But I'm assuming they do not allow beer? Maybe we should make some tropicana screwdrivers or something.

I find that alcohol goes a long way towards forging the narrative.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

The warriors of the Emperor felt fear in their hearts, their resolved wavered.

Then, a Vox Skull hovered into view and yelled, "ACK ACK ACK!" thus restoring their morale.

Big Willy Style posted:

Which one is meant to be the Mogadishu battle?

The reference went entirely over my head when I first looked at it but he's right, it's this one:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 17, 2015

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
So this worked about as well as I thought it would. Exciting times. I was a bit worried when I saw the Skitarii sprue first hand and noticed how slim the hands are, but seeing them on the model I think it helps the scale a little bit, especially for Alpha Legion. Sorry for potato picture.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Rules Of Scale Part 3: Colossal Fuckyoubot:

I think this works fine, the problem is that the weaponry isn't adapted to its size. Why would it have a buzz-saw the size of a tank, doesn't diminishing returns come into play? It should have smaller battlebots built into its legs to punch and cut and spit at people. Maybe, there could be vox skulls that yell insults about Eldar mothers, too.

At least the person that made this had the sense to put terrain on the base, maybe the Titan is treated as stationary. Note the rad Armorcast tank at the bottom left corner, too.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BirdieBedtime posted:

So this worked about as well as I thought it would. Exciting times. I was a bit worried when I saw the Skitarii sprue first hand and noticed how slim the hands are, but seeing them on the model I think it helps the scale a little bit, especially for Alpha Legion. Sorry for potato picture.

This is badass!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Post 9-11 User posted:

Rules Of Scale Part 3: Colossal Fuckyoubot:

I think this works fine, the problem is that the weaponry isn't adapted to its size. Why would it have a buzz-saw the size of a tank, doesn't diminishing returns come into play? It should have smaller battlebots built into its legs to punch and cut and spit at people. Maybe, there could be vox skulls that yell insults about Eldar mothers, too.

At least the person that made this had the sense to put terrain on the base, maybe the Titan is treated as stationary. Note the rad Armorcast tank at the bottom left corner, too.

It doesn't help that the Warlord there is massively out of scale. That looks to be at least four feet tall, probably bigger. That's over a foot bigger that an Emperor Titan.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Why would it have a buzz-saw the size of a tank, doesn't diminishing returns come into play?

It's for buzzsawing the poo poo out of enemy Titans, fortifications, starships... :black101:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Played a game today -- I tabled my opponent! I have never actually done that before. Feels good, man.

1500 points, I had my Steel Legion, he had a Dark Eldar Coven list. Lots of webway portals, some minimum warrior squads, grotesques, etc. He also had the Dark Artisan Claw formation, which made the MCs in it very hard to kill. It was Big Guns Never Tire with 5 control points.

Highlights include:
- My Executioner saw it's first game, killed a Talos, didn't get hot once, and then got exploded by some blasters after firing only once.
- My blob squad didn't do a drat thing all game.
- My Wyverns fuckin smoked anything they looked at.
- My PCS with four flamers managed to hit a unit of Scourges 20 times, killing only 3.

Good game, good opponent, good times.

How do you run dat blob? In keeping with the Steel Legion theme, my 1500 point army's blob is 3 squads with meltas, krak grenades, and lascannons with Yarrick leading. I find that even if they don't actually kill much, they provide sufficient area denial and soak up enough fire for my other units to get the job done.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

:siren: New blog post + battle report :siren:

The Chronicles of Ahn continue... this time with an Escalation Clash!

Baneblade vs Stompa... but its a special Kustom Mekboy Stompa!

http://ahnchronicles.tumblr.com/

Dude, I loved this. I know you have probably linked this before but I really enjoyed reading your blog. Nothing better than a well forged narrative. Also it had the right amount of humour. I liked the Raven's Repentance Chapter's ancient warcry.

Also there was reference to your tactical squads ongoing adventures in no-score-drawing in melee. Also notable was the kill team game where the sternguard were all individually and heroically named... oh and five scouts, names not important.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

JackMack posted:

Dude, I loved this. I know you have probably linked this before but I really enjoyed reading your blog. Nothing better than a well forged narrative. Also it had the right amount of humour. I liked the Raven's Repentance Chapter's ancient warcry.

Also there was reference to your tactical squads ongoing adventures in no-score-drawing in melee. Also notable was the kill team game where the sternguard were all individually and heroically named... oh and five scouts, names not important.

Haha my Tactical Squads are the absolute masters of long, drawn out, inconclusive combats. It's basically my Chapter Tactics by this point.

And those Scouts, to be fair, did quite well... I would have named them but they keep getting slaughtered by hideous Orks.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Info from the new WHW-only supplement started dropping. Looks to be mostly big formations and a few which mix in some FW units (e.g. one of them is the Assault Claw plus 20 berserkers).

e.g.

Probably not practical to field, but I like the idea of using a whole battle company in pods to wreck face in a big alpha strike. Shame that the Devs will have to snap fire on the turn thy get to shoot twice though, neuters the gimmick a fair bit.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

You could use the UM doctrine to make them Relentless that turn if you wanted.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

New deamonkin stuff is leaked. Looks pretty rad: StrD drop pod impacts, assaulting from reserves

http://m.imgur.com/a/UAYmz

Sorry for the link, on mobile

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AbusePuppy posted:

You could use the UM doctrine to make them Relentless that turn if you wanted.

Does that doctrine effect every unit in your army? If so 6 tac squads rapid firing then assaulting would be pretty useful.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

It makes all the Devs relentless and lets everyone else reroll snap shots, so not quite that good. Probably better than using the "reroll 1s" doctrine on the turn you land, though, since being able to Multimelta some guys out of existence is handy.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I took my first Contemptor out for his first battle last night. He gunned down several CSM, got a Vehicle Explodes result on a Hellbrute on his first round of trading fire with it, and a Deep Striking unit of CSM Terminators scattered onto him and got a 1 on the mishap roll :c00lbert:

I'm half tempted to name him after all that.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

krushgroove posted:

Just had a look, Forge World are looking to employ SIX permanent resin casters: http://jobs.games-workshop.com/2015/03/11/temporary-forge-world-demoulderpacker-nottingham-uk/ so it looks like they're going to be ramping up production toot-sweet, must be planning for something!

They are just trying to keep up with demand.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Hixson posted:

New deamonkin stuff is leaked. Looks pretty rad: StrD drop pod impacts, assaulting from reserves

http://m.imgur.com/a/UAYmz

Sorry for the link, on mobile

This is p. sweet. I'm glad I just started my Daemonkin army. Time to get a Kharybdis or two.

Speaking of which, I now have five berserkers done. Another 5 and a Rhino til I'm done with the squad.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm confused, there are so many supplements that I don't know who's putting out which anymore, and that looks for all the world like a GW-Prime book page but it talks about a Kharybdis. Is that a GW thing now?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's a fantasy Dark Elf monster IIRC.
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dark-Elves-Karibdyss

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

AbusePuppy posted:

Remember that the Bloodthirster brought in by Blood Tithe arrives before the movement phase, which means it is allowed to change flight modes in that same turn (although it is not allowed to move, as per the Deep Strike rules.) This essentially shortens your wait time down to a single turn, although that can still feel like a painfully long time when the enemy is shooting you with every gun they have.

Yeah, the people I was playing with didn't buy that argument. I suspect warhammer 40k might actually be a good game if GW would outsource the editing and proofreading to a competent person, but I've given up hope for that.

Maybe the ITC faq will be updated for daemonkin issues (and the eldar rulings) at some point.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

drgnvale posted:

Yeah, the people I was playing with didn't buy that argument. I suspect warhammer 40k might actually be a good game if GW would outsource the editing and proofreading to a competent person, but I've given up hope for that.

Maybe the ITC faq will be updated for daemonkin issues (and the eldar rulings) at some point.

Yeah, I think many of GW's problems in terms of game design come from terrible wording. Of course there will be some people who will figure out exactly what was intended in the rule (and then also berate other people for not having a psychic connection to GW's rules designers, see the old Necron Death Ray rules "every model in the unit under the line"), but they really need to get some proofreaders from outside the development team.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is p. sweet. I'm glad I just started my Daemonkin army. Time to get a Kharybdis or two.

Speaking of which, I now have five berserkers done. Another 5 and a Rhino til I'm done with the squad.

'No no no, assaulting from Reserves/Outflank/Deep Strike is too powerful! You don't get it anymore Genestealers! Or you, Vanguard Veterans! This edition NO ONE gets to assault reliably!'

'... But because Daemonkin sold well, lets give Khorne Berzerkers a drop pod that you can assault from and does S:D on vehicles and buildings instead of mishapping!'

gently caress off.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Strength of Many posted:

'No no no, assaulting from Reserves/Outflank/Deep Strike is too powerful! You don't get it anymore Genestealers! Or you, Vanguard Veterans! This edition NO ONE gets to assault reliably!'

'... But because Daemonkin sold well, lets give Khorne Berzerkers a drop pod that you can assault from and does S:D on vehicles and buildings instead of mishapping!'

gently caress off.

Speaking as a guy with 40+ Genestealers: Preach it brother!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Strength of Many posted:

gently caress off.

If anyone should get it though, it should be the followers of Khorne. The God of Skulls, War, and Bloodshed. All Glory to the Blood God!

PS gently caress you and your inbred purple gene stealing alien shitbirds

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

TheChirurgeon posted:

If anyone should get it though, it should be the followers of Khorne. The God of Skulls, War, and Bloodshed. All Glory to the Blood God!

PS gently caress you and your inbred purple gene stealing alien shitbirds

I'm happy for Khornates, I really am, but this asymmetrical, and frankly idiotic, design process through half rear end patch jobs is driving me up a goddamn wall. At this point I'm about to start ignoring rules entirely just to make crap units functional, my opponent's hissyfits in response be damned.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Strength of Many posted:

I'm happy for Khornates, I really am, but this asymmetrical, and frankly idiotic, design process through half rear end patch jobs is driving me up a goddamn wall. At this point I'm about to start ignoring rules entirely just to make crap units functional, my opponent's hissyfits in response be damned.

Considering this is a Forgeworld formation you really shouldn't freak out too much. Forgeworld has been releasing various utterly broken stuff for years, including a previous release of a Drop Pod that allows assaults on the turn it arrives.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Strength of Many posted:

It doesn't actually mean much to me anyways; for almost a year now my crew have been play testing house rules that use a combined turn structure. Because units will always get a chance to shoot at a unit before it assaults, both the problems of assaulting from deep strike/reserves and winning a combat on "your turn" and being left vulnerable are solved. As an added bonus, it also allows for balanced 3-player ffa games.

That said, the Kharybdis isn't really worth taking on its own without this rule/formation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
It's like someone while they were building the big rear end display saw the drop pod dunking the warhound and was like "DUDE, that would be awesome"

Boom, Khorne.

• Locked thread