Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Wiseblood posted:

Doesn't the hardest difficulty also have permadeath?

Nope. There's no permadeath in this game. The developers said that "permadeath" is on the honor system, so just re-roll if you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Wiseblood posted:

He said no when somebody asked him, and he quicks aves before every fight.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wiseblood posted:

Only if you shoot yourself in the head out of frustration.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I don't normally play games on the hardest difficulty, but this is a game where I probably will. The focus on preparation should hopefully make it manageable if you've taken everything into account in advance.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Are there any monster/quest differences between the difficulties? Or is it just stats? Trying to decide whether to play this on the hardest or second-hardest to start.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VDay posted:

Are there any monster/quest differences between the difficulties? Or is it just stats? Trying to decide whether to play this on the hardest or second-hardest to start.

I doubt highly there are story differences between difficulties.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Not story differences but stuff like more monsters to kill during a sidequest or slightly different objectives on harder difficulties, etc.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VDay posted:

They haven't said anything about story changes as a result, and they don't seem like the kind of devs to do that.

E: One of their balance designers said on the IGN streams that there would not be more mobs per difficulty.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Wonder if this game is going to have the same problem as other open world games where you might get a new weapon as a reward, but that sidequest/event that was between the quest giver and objective gave you stuff that completely outclasses it in all ways.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Broose posted:

Wonder if this game is going to have the same problem as other open world games where you might get a new weapon as a reward, but that sidequest/event that was between the quest giver and objective gave you stuff that completely outclasses it in all ways.

I think reviews so far have indicated this is the case.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
There should be a 10-minute cutscene in this game of just Yennefer yelling at Geralt over the tattoo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FuriousGeorge posted:

There should be a 10-minute cutscene in this game of just Yennefer yelling at Geralt over the tattoo.
Wait, we actually get to meet Yennifer (who I hardly even know) in this game? The review I read made it sound like it's Geralt's quest to find her.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Wheres the cheapest place to order this game?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Slate Action posted:

I think reviews so far have indicated this is the case.

Apparently the best poo poo is crafted, anyway, so that probably helps. I think the general paradigm is that loot quality goes bought < quest < found < crafted.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, we actually get to meet Yennifer (who I hardly even know) in this game? The review I read made it sound like it's Geralt's quest to find her.

It's Geralts quest during the first act of the game

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yup. If Conan's video is any indication you can also screw her on a stuffed unicorn.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Broose posted:

Is that really a big problem to worry about though? It's usually a minor annoyance at worst.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Joink posted:

Wheres the cheapest place to order this game?

Green Man Gaming has a 27% voucher for the game right now which brings it to about $44. You may also be able to find a copy on SA Mart that a goon who bought a 970/980 recently and got a game code they're looking to sell.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VanillaGorilla posted:

Apparently the best poo poo is crafted, anyway, so that probably helps. I think the general paradigm is that loot quality goes bought < quest < found < crafted.
Does the book series have the idea of magical legendary weapons or anything? The games were fairly low-key on weapons and equipment and I liked it that way.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I read in some review or another that on higher difficulties you get less EXP as a whole, but I have no idea how true that is. I've also heard vague rumors about monsters getting more attacks in higher difficulties but way less certain about that one.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I read in some review or another that on higher difficulties you get less EXP as a whole, but I have no idea how true that is. I've also heard vague rumors about monsters getting more attacks in higher difficulties but way less certain about that one.
Monsters getting more attacks is likely because they're surviving at different health percentages at higher difficulties and using attacks that wouldn't normally come up. If an enhanced edition happens I wouldn't be shocked at Dark Mode re-appearing with quests for powerful gear.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I would treat things like that as other-games-have-this presumptions until proven.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does the book series have the idea of magical legendary weapons or anything? The games were fairly low-key on weapons and equipment and I liked it that way.

I haven't read the books, but the setting is kind of "middle" fantasy. It shoots for the grit typical of low fantasy, but there's a shitload of magic and stuff like extraplanar travel going on. So, the idea of magical equipment probably isn't that out of alignment from the fiction.

That said, I think they use the "magical" nomenclature here to largely denote quality rather than crazy enchantments. We haven't seen anybody find gear that lets you shoot fireballs out of your rear end in a top hat or anything, it's all pretty much straight number increases. So you can just pretend that "magical" means "better made" or made with exotic materials.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I like that there is a Gwent card called "Poor loving Infantry".

Orv
May 4, 2011
There are weapon runes. The only one they've really shown off is % chance to ignite a target on hit, but there are probably quite a few that do less obvious things.

Watching Mel Gibson Murders Everybody seems like an oddly poetic way to pass the time.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Kimmalah posted:

Is that really a big problem to worry about though? It's usually a minor annoyance at worst.

Yeah, in an RPG when I get a quest reward that's inferior to what I have or that I can't use, I just think 'cool, some extra cash.' It's only a problem when the quests are boring and you lose all motivation to do them. That doesn't sound like it's the case here.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
I think it's pretty cool that the weapons and armor in these games mostly look practical and not like dumb fantasy items.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In 1 and 2, the best equipment you could get was just some jacket or sword used by a famous person; I didn't see any indication that it was anything but just well-engineered. I like it that way.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I really hope Gwent is good. I can't be worse than dice poker, I suppose, but still.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

CottonWolf posted:

I really hope Gwent is good. I can't be worse than dice poker, I suppose, but still.

How dare you, dice poker was great.

Now let me just throw these dice across the room accidentally.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

hopterque posted:

How dare you, dice poker was great.

Now let me just throw these dice across the room accidentally.

Dice Poker in 1 was really fun. It was poo poo in 2.

I am hype for Gwent.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

CottonWolf posted:

It doesn't look that interesting to me, but I'll probably end up beating every opponent just to beat the "quest" at least, kinda like with dice poker. Hopefully it's better than that though.

Edit: And yeah, dice poker was actually fun in 1, not so much in 2.

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 17, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Samurai Sanders posted:

In 1 and 2, the best equipment you could get was just some jacket or sword used by a famous person; I didn't see any indication that it was anything but just well-engineered. I like it that way.

Well, I mean, in 1 the best silver sword in the game was literally given to you by the Lady of the Lake in an extended fancy-rear end cutscene. I'd say that's pretty loving magical.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well, I mean, in 1 the best silver sword in the game was literally given to you by the Lady of the Lake in an extended fancy-rear end cutscene. I'd say that's pretty loving magical.
Huh, I must have forgotten that. It's been so long since I have played 1.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Actually it's the second best silver sword, IIRC (Aerondight) but it's the cooler of the two end-game swords.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Infinity Gaia posted:

That whole area was bizarre. With the Lovecraft fan-fiction and Arthurian legend. It felt like it came from a different game.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Roshnak posted:

I think it's pretty cool that the weapons and armor in these games mostly look practical and not like dumb fantasy items.
This is one of my favorite parts. Witcher 3 pretty much seems to have the most realistic medieval armor designs in video games which is kinda amusing. They make good use of colors too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Elukka posted:

This is one of my favorite parts. Witcher 3 pretty much seems to have the most realistic medieval armor designs in video games which is kinda amusing. They make good use of colors too.

It's funny, the only armor that's particularly egregious in the fantasy department (that I've seen) is the starting armor, with its bizarre chain spaulders.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My final W2 save game thumbnail looks like this, am I good to go? (Iorveth path)

I also have one that judging by the thumbnail is right before the Letho fight so I can go get a new one if I have to, but I'd have to download the game all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Meta-Mollusk posted:

That one's from the last novel. Part of it follows minor various characters during the Battle of Brenna, and one of them is a scribe who previously studied at a temple with Ciri who joins the army to fight Nilfgaard and ends up assigned to a misfit unit called "Poor loving Infantry."