Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

My take on saute pans is that it's important to toss them around a little bit before you buy them to see if they're right for you. I buy all of mine at TJMaxx, basically. They last me a few years and you can get some pretty decent tri-ply for cheap. I'd rather not spend a lot on a pan sight unseen, especially if it's marked up because of a celebrity chef name attached to it.
They had one out of the box at the store. It's nice and heavy; feels and looks solid.
I just don't know what's a reasonable price for a (Royal Doulton) saute pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I dunno what you guys are doing to your pans

I throw 15-20k btus at mine all day long, throw them straight into cold water off the stove, toss them around, cook hard - and none of my pans have ever warped. I have a 15 year old cuisineart triply stainless, some hard anodized pans, cast iron, a few heavy bottomed caphalon non-stick, and a carbon steel wok.

the only pans I've ever seen warp are like lovely aluminum bullshit that probably are 3-5mm thick

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I believe what happens to my pans isn't permanent warping, but rather differential thermal expansion, such that a pan that is flat when cool buckles enough when hot that it is no longer flat on a glass-top stove. For all the ones except the Allclads, this is enough to introduce a pronounced wobble.

The fact that you mention BTUs makes me think you're cooking on a gas stove, which is probably more forgiving of a little pan deformation than glass.

The ultimate point of this is probably that glass-top electric stoves are inferior to gas, but switching that often isn't an option.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

So my Kitchenaid standmixer bit the dust, the repair shop says it'll be $200 to repair. Basically all the non-motor, moving parts need to be replaced.

It's Professional 6 model picked up from Costco about 10 years ago. Is it worth it to have it repaired or should I just go get a new or Kitchenaid refurbed machine at this point?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

.Z. posted:

So my Kitchenaid standmixer bit the dust, the repair shop says it'll be $200 to repair. Basically all the non-motor, moving parts need to be replaced.

It's Professional 6 model picked up from Costco about 10 years ago. Is it worth it to have it repaired or should I just go get a new or Kitchenaid refurbed machine at this point?
Take it to Costco and they'll almost certainly exchange it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How do they even stay in business

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

Take it to Costco and they'll almost certainly exchange it.

Seriously?

Pity their Pro 6 is now the 6000 series instead of the 600.

Edit:

Huh, guess their return policy changes only applied to electronics. So I could conceivably do so. But I'm not sure I could bring myself to do so, I'd feel super guilty and awkward about it.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 18, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

mr. wiggles

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

mindphlux posted:

mr. wiggles

The sheer quantity of $1.50 sandwiches hotdogs they sell all day and every day.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

From what i understand, their discount is almost entirely covered by their tiny shrinkage rate, lack of decoration/furnishing and membership fees. And people don't abuse the return policy as much as they could (when it WAS being abused, for TVs, they changed it for that type of item) -- I'm a major Costco user for the past decade, and I've made one return, maybe two, that wouldn't have been possible at basically any non-lovely retailer. In the other direction, the presence of the return policy has made me a lot more willing to gamble on products/brands I'm not familiar with, securing them sales.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

.Z. posted:

Comedy option: crack it open and replace the broken gearset yourself! Like I did! :suicide:

(It's actually not that difficult, whether it's worth the time/effort is up to you)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah just repair it. in most models there is a single (intentionally) plastic / low duty gear that will strip itself out if you overwork it. the metal/motor parts are fine.

I blew mine out some months ago, did a bit of googling, bought a $4 replacement gear off of amazon, cracked it open and swapped it out. back in action.

you could learn this skill, then open a shop charging people $200 to repair their kitchenaids, and live happily ever after even.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

mindphlux posted:

yeah just repair it. in most models there is a single (intentionally) plastic / low duty gear that will strip itself out if you overwork it. the metal/motor parts are fine.

I blew mine out some months ago, did a bit of googling, bought a $4 replacement gear off of amazon, cracked it open and swapped it out. back in action.

you could learn this skill, then open a shop charging people $200 to repair their kitchenaids, and live happily ever after even.

Yeah KitchenAids are really easy to service. I've got an old one where the grease has separated so it needs a full lube job. Seems easy, just have to take the time and get some gloves.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I just scored a breville smart oven for $100, unused in box, from an estate sale.
I was torn between the breville and the cuisinart combi oven thing, but for $100, I figure I can't do any better than a highly reviewed $250 toaster oven. It was missing some of the trays and things that look like they were supposed to come with it, but at this point who cares

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You can buy replacement trays from their website

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My IMUSA 8" cast iron tortilla press lever snapped as I was using it yesterday. Where can I get a replacement?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They don't sell replacement parts for tortilla presses, you just buy a new one (maybe a different one)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Hmmm, that's not good news.

This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Victoria-Cast-Iron-Tortilla-Press/dp/B00HWEIKZO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432587118&sr=8-2&keywords=imusa+tortilla+press
Mine says "IMUSA" instead of "Victoria", but everything else is identical.

Can anyone recommend a better one? Maybe I should just look for someone to make a handle that will fit it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

My mom asked me to find her a smoking pot.

"A wot?"

A pot to smoke meat/fish in. Literal translation from Hebrew right there, except... well, it's not exactly an exceptionally useful phrase to drop into google, now is it?

A bit of searching found a stovetop kettle smoker to be more or less what required. Unfortunately, I still haven't found a good google phrase - this exact variation only leads to the same company, and dropping even a single word changes the meaning altogether.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There are apparently only a few different ones. And as you can see in the link they are all substantially different in price, capacity and features. I found them by searching for "indoor meat smoker" on google. I'd talk it over with her to figure out what one is worth it.
So. I've managed to find a few models on the internet, but the import fees are a bit prohibitive. However: the parents are taking a vacation to Austria fairly soon, and... they might be able to find that there. The issue is, once again, finding the right name to inquire after this thingie. Google translate gives me "Herd Wasserkocher Raucher" and "Fleisch Raucher Innen", but I don't exactly speak enough German to know if that makes sense.

(Should I be asking this in, like, a thread dedicated to translations? Kinda hoping someone here speaks German and already has some technical knowledge of what kitchen implements are called)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Xander77 posted:

So. I've managed to find a few models on the internet, but the import fees are a bit prohibitive. However: the parents are taking a vacation to Austria fairly soon, and... they might be able to find that there. The issue is, once again, finding the right name to inquire after this thingie. Google translate gives me "Herd Wasserkocher Raucher" and "Fleisch Raucher Innen", but I don't exactly speak enough German to know if that makes sense.

(Should I be asking this in, like, a thread dedicated to translations? Kinda hoping someone here speaks German and already has some technical knowledge of what kitchen implements are called)

I'd try finding someone fluent in both German and English and asking them about what "indoor meat smoker" translates into. This sort of product is going to be rare because it's very rare for someone to smoke their own food at home and even rarer that they would do so inside, so there might not even be a generalized name for this sort of product.

You could try D&D for finding a German speaker, I'm pretty sure there is a European politics thread there.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

I found the Nordic one on German Amazon: Nordic

It is called a "Räuchertopf" and that means "smoking pot". I am pretty sure that is the best official description.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 26, 2015

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Best canned tomatoes for sauces?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bewbies posted:

I like Cento, but honestly, I've made pretty bangin' sauces with plain old Hunts, in a pinch.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there anything to San Marzano tomatoes?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
They have the best yield of tomato, and the flavor is, imo, better suited to most tomato dishes. That said, you won't know the difference, buy any canned tomato, as they're all canned at peak freshness/flavor/season/etc.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bewbies posted:

San Marzano tomatoes are good, if a bit pricey. I think that for the most part, any brand of whole peeled tomato in tomato sauce maybe with some basil is fine to use.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

bewbies posted:

Escalon 6-in-1, Pomi, Muir Glen.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bewbies posted:

no, actually san marzanos usually hold up in cans worse than non-fancy tomatoes, because the italian DOP prohibits packing with calcium chloride - which helps retain bite and zing and poo poo.

I've taste tested a whole fuckload of tomatoes. I firmly believe most important is the least amount of processing (whole vs crushed vs diced or whatever. always get whole)

second is the brand. I like just plain hunts - pomi and muir glen taste off to me. Cooks Illustrated agrees more or less afaicr : https://www.cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/231-canned-whole-tomatoes

http://www.amazon.com/Hunts-Whole-Peeled-Tomatoes-Ounce/dp/B00DOVZX1I

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

mindphlux posted:

no, actually san marzanos usually hold up in cans worse than non-fancy tomatoes, because the italian DOP prohibits packing with calcium chloride - which helps retain bite and zing and poo poo.

I've taste tested a whole fuckload of tomatoes. I firmly believe most important is the least amount of processing (whole vs crushed vs diced or whatever. always get whole)

second is the brand. I like just plain hunts - pomi and muir glen taste off to me. Cooks Illustrated agrees more or less afaicr : https://www.cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/231-canned-whole-tomatoes

http://www.amazon.com/Hunts-Whole-Peeled-Tomatoes-Ounce/dp/B00DOVZX1I

Which is one of the reasons I prefer them for a smooth sauce. Anything other than a multi-hour red sauce, though, I much prefer american brands.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I want to buy the Lodge Pre-seasoned Cast-Iron Combo Cooker Dutch Oven with Skillet Lid ( LCC3) in the UK. It's about $30-45 USD in the US, but the shipping is obviously very expensive from the US as it is very heavy.

I have found it for about £55 on new on ebay including shipping and duty

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lodge-LCC...=item2c9ad2e11d

, and £63 on Amazon. Does anyone know a better place to buy this or something comparable in the UK?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Do you guys have yard sales?

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Um there's car boot sales which is like a yard sale only out of the trunk of a car. But not in central London that I am aware of.

There might be some kind of flea market event in east London sometimes but I don't know... thanks for the suggestion though.

edit: apparently there's a car boot every Sunday in Pimlico which I may have to check out. But these days they probably just sell artisanal beard oil and vintage 3-piece suits.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'd look there or at a thrift store TBH. £58.56 is like 3 times what we pay for one over here. That poo poo's crazy.

(That's the price I saw on Amazon.co.uk)

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I'm aware. Looking up the prices of things on Canadian amazon.com then the same item on amazon.co.uk makes me very sad. Most things are the same price in pounds as they are in dollars in Canada (where I moved from), making consumer goods about 1.9x the price here.

I'll check some second hand options before pulling the trigger, but I really want a skillet for meat and fish soon; right now I am just using my non-stick and that is less than ideal.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Is this still the recommended kitchen scale? http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Scale-Bakers-KD8000-Weight/dp/B001NE0FU2

This one looks just as good (Only a small difference in weight capacity) and is a little cheaper http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Measurement-Technology-Professional/dp/B00VAQFXWI

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have one of these and like it. Not the finest scale in the world, but it was <$13.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KingShiro posted:

Is this still the recommended kitchen scale? http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Scale-Bakers-KD8000-Weight/dp/B001NE0FU2

This one looks just as good (Only a small difference in weight capacity) and is a little cheaper http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Measurement-Technology-Professional/dp/B00VAQFXWI

I think the first one is the recommended one around here but I've seen lots of praise for the OXO one where you can pull the display out for better visibility.

MrYenko posted:

I have one of these and like it. Not the finest scale in the world, but it was <$13.

I've had this one (or some sort of very, very similar variation) for at least 5 years but it's not very good for a few reasons: hard to see the screen and seems very sensitive to misreading depending on where you place the weight on the scale.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I'm aware. Looking up the prices of things on Canadian amazon.com then the same item on amazon.co.uk makes me very sad. Most things are the same price in pounds as they are in dollars in Canada (where I moved from), making consumer goods about 1.9x the price here.

I'll check some second hand options before pulling the trigger, but I really want a skillet for meat and fish soon; right now I am just using my non-stick and that is less than ideal.

Whenever I've wanted to buy Blu Rays of English shows, like Sherlock or whatnot, I've bought it on Amazon.co.uk and gotten much better prices on it. Maybe the same can be done for you for the cooking pot? I've never paid very much in shipping.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I can't buy from US amazon and have it shipped to the UK, unfortunately. Shipping and duty buying from ebay comes out to at least £20 ($30 USD) so I don't end up saving much if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BraveUlysses posted:

I think the first one is the recommended one around here but I've seen lots of praise for the OXO one where you can pull the display out for better visibility.

I've had this one (or some sort of very, very similar variation) for at least 5 years but it's not very good for a few reasons: hard to see the screen and seems very sensitive to misreading depending on where you place the weight on the scale.

I do not have the first problem at all, it's very readable for me, but I agree with the second point. Again, though; twelve dollars. :v:

• Locked thread